• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hey,cut me some slack, I'm a dy.png

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Them berries look beautiful!...
We lived in South Seattle a couple of years. Fecking blackberries everywhere!..
Like weeds.
I took the wife unit and 3 kids and we picked a few gallons in no time.
Having moved from Oklahoma where blackberries are like gold and picking them is more dangerous than a white boy walking through the projects in Pacoima , we were chuffed!.....
No ticks , chiggers , black widows , or copperhead to deal with....
To top it off , we picked blackberries in Renton Washington in December!.....
Chickens are waiting in line.

0529181646.jpg
0529181647.jpg

A lot of truth here......

99cbbccd46437701ac8b897ca0c1a893.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Nice healthy fruit and great pics Sir Stoney.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
However comparing the home grown OG tomato's (real tomato's) and those ugly, red, plastic balls they sell and call tomato's and can sit on the counter for 4 months without so much as a wrinkle, them home grow jobbers are fekking priceless.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Cracker you've got quite a harem of happy chicks dude!

Eggs fresh from the backyard is one of life's finer pleasures in this redneck's opinion.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Nice fatty's!

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We've had constant rain here in North Florida, but I wised up and stopped trying to grow yellow squash, which always gets destroyed by rain, heat or bugs. This year I planted Seminole squash, an heirloom variety which is much more resistant. The Indians used to plant at the base of trees and run the vines up the trunks to keep them off the swampy ground. So I deployed all my tomato cages, an old park bench and some scrap lumber to give the vines places to climb. I also planted some at the base of a ligustrum hedge and those vines are 9 feet off the ground. Here's the main patch. I have to constantly trim off the runners or they will claim the yard - but the shoots are edible, as are the giant flowers which greet us every morning. These pics were taken late afternoon when the flowers are mostly closed up:

It isn't easy to find the fruits in that jungle, but they are in there getting notably larger by the day.

This one was right on the drip line coming off the roof so he gets a special high chair:

The cool thing about these is they will keep for up to a year at room temperature when harvested.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
(*SIGH*) (*snif*)

I just don't seem to be able to do anything like youse guys do... WAIT! WAIT!! I'll be right back

This ain't up there with Spinalcracker and his glorious rain drain strain, but we got a bit of serendipity at the Sneakydicker Househole when we had to get a reverse osmosis water system. They work by throwing away 3 gallons of waste water for every gallon of drinking water.

Well, for a dozen years, our mango tree really didn't do anything. BUT!! After a year of constant watering with mineral-laden water, the fargin tree went absolutely nuts!

We were slightly afraid to take a nap near it. Lookit:

mango bloom.jpg

For all youse Northrin types, Mango trees do not become opaque. Think peach tree. And they most ricky-tick do not have a snowfall's worth of flowers. So the one above is truly remarkable.

I made my semi-famous Mango Chutney. You put it on anything: rice, eggs, chicken, steak, anything.

mango stuff.jpg

...And we made loaves and loaves of mango bread (well, Herself did), but I stirred the mush and held the bowl while she filled a dozen breadpans. Neighbors love it. Gotta have it with cold milk.

That mango has gotta go back out on the sunporch. There are about fifty out there at this moment.

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I never post my gardening failures but they are legion.
Same here. For every success shown here, there is an equal and opposite disaster somewhere else.
I just tore up a section of the garden and reseeded corn because it wasn't coming up for squat.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Same here. For every success shown here, there is an equal and opposite disaster somewhere else.
I just tore up a section of the garden and reseeded corn because it wasn't coming up for squat.
Corn - the gardener's grow slut.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Corn - the gardener's grow slut.
Every day I toss out corn for the creatchy-poos. Everything likes corn: raccoons, starlings, crows, woodpeckies, dove, cardinals, bluejays, bunny rabbits, squiddles, peacocks, wild oinks...

...and we have three corn plants about 8" high growing right in the middle of the space where I toss the corn. Well... there WERE three corn plants. A wild fargin turkey-lurkey came by yestiddy afternoon and ate them down to the fargin ground. So much for the Sned corn crop.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Every day I toss out corn for the creatchy-poos. Everything likes corn: raccoons, starlings, crows, woodpeckies, dove, cardinals, bluejays, bunny rabbits, squiddles, peacocks, wild oinks...

...and we have three corn plants about 8" high growing right in the middle of the space where I toss the corn. Well... there WERE three corn plants. A wild fargin turkey-lurkey came by yestiddy afternoon and ate them down to the fargin ground. So much for the Sned corn crop.
Creatchy-poos made my Monday Unca. :beer:cool:

Now yer 24 imperial ped's werth'a maze be a'hidin' out in a corn-hole.

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Trying something new - ground or husk cherries. They are related to tomatoes in a way, but sweet and sour. Dried they taste like natures sour gummy candy. If they do anything, I'll post more pics.

ground cherries.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Trying something new - ground or husk cherries. They are related to tomatoes in a way, but sweet and sour. Dried they taste like natures sour gummy candy. If they do anything, I'll post more pics.

View attachment 104691
(your pic reminded me of an) Old Indian trick; plant in front of south facing rock wall = Heat & lumen multiplier = More bang 4 yer buck.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Had put some headphones on and was aout to head out the door the other day when my front door was gettig banged something awefully fierce. Opened it up to a good friend holding a giant bouquet of fresh picked radishes.

I cleaned and separated the radishes from the greens and tried the greens for the first time.

I made a fresh salad with the radish greens, some fresh mint from the back yard, apple, chick peas, balsamic/miso dressing, cut up dried lemon drop pepper and fesh lemon juice. It was excellent and HOT!

Back to you Bob....

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
(your pic reminded me of an) Old Indian trick; plant in front of south facing rock wall = Heat & lumen multiplier = More bang 4 yer buck.
From what I've read, these things are really close to weeds. Most folks just put them in a neglected corner of the yard and they go crazy and come back every year from seed. I just cut the grass off the side of the house next to the AC unit (west wall) and dug out a big hole for each one in the rock/clay mix, filled in with cow manure and covered in oak mulch. If they do well, I'll put in more next year.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
From what I've read, these things are really close to weeds. Most folks just put them in a neglected corner of the yard and they go crazy and come back every year from seed. I just cut the grass off the side of the house next to the AC unit (west wall) and dug out a big hole for each one in the rock/clay mix, filled in with cow manure and covered in oak mulch. If they do well, I'll put in more next year.
It looks like a very rich and happy spot. I'll be rooting for em. Pun intended.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
First booty of the season; harvested a few radishes and green onions. Made a fresh salad with just radishes, onions, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt that was excellent. Should have some strawberries soon.

View attachment 104657
I coulda sworn those were beets'!?

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My fig plants. Two on the left are the two we had in the house until wife wanted them out. I let them finish in the shed behind them in the picture. I kept that building sorta heated, above freezing anyway, all winter. So they came out looking kinda sick, leaves all gone, but warm sun brought them out. The other two were in the ground all winter and froze back to the ground. I dug them up this spring and potted them. The smaller pot in the picture has a peice of ginger root in it, trying to see if it'll take root and grow.

1528167455389.png

Oh, and new hive of bees in the background, a closer look.

1528167515569.png

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
In this complicated, chaotic and corrupt world, these fruits and veggies bring peace and joy. Even through a picture.

Keep up the good work all!

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
We were speaking of disasters earlier, so allow me to tell a tale of woe and hardship and great loss from today.
We have been blessed with a well-producing strawberry patch this spring, and I gathered more this morning (went out before it got too hot today).
With all the strawberries we had, I decided to make a strawberry pie. After much tedious and time-consuming labor, I had completed my masterpiece. It looked like this:

1528327839983.png

Then, I went to place it in the refrigerator to chill, as one does with strawberry pie.
However, upon attempting to place it in the fridge, the chincy-ass pie tin collapsed in my hands and then the pie looked like this:

1528327975400.png

At this point, fortune turned good for the German Shepherd. Unconcerned with the fact that the pie was A) no longer in standard pie form, and B) the fact that it was strewn about the floor, the GSD took the opportunity to enjoy said strawberry pie. That actually worked for me, as she cleaned it up better than I probably would have. Stock photo of said GSD, as I was too pissed off to take a picture of her eating the pie:

1528328266628.png

Anyway, after much swearing, jumping around, wailing, and general gnashing of teeth I went to the nearby Dollar General, got another pie crust, and made another one. As I was actually starting to run low on strawberries at this point, it was not nearly as glorious as the first one.

1528328388606.png

And on my second attempt, I was able to effectively and successfully place the pie in the refrigerator where it is currently chilling.
It damn well better be good.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
At this point, fortune turned good for the German Shepherd. Unconcerned with the fact that the pie was A) no longer in standard pie form, and B) the fact that it was strewn about the floor, the GSD took the opportunity to enjoy said strawberry pie. That actually worked for me, as she cleaned it up better than I probably would have. Stock photo of said GSD, as I was too pissed off to take a picture of her eating the pie:
Now that your dog has gotten a taste, you'll have to fence the berry patch to keep GSD out. We had a black lab used to go through the patch and pick strawberries for herself and eat 'em.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
LT your fig trees are looking great!!. Your garlic looks like mine too. Scapes and all. Sucks about the first Pie Jarrod but after the practice your 2nd one was probably better anyway :). Lucky dog though.

I'm so far behind on everything I am hoping we get a warm fall so everything can complete its cycle.

Loggers should be finished this week so I can catch up then. :)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
LT your fig trees are looking great!!. Your garlic looks like mine too. Scapes and all. Sucks about the first Pie Jarrod but after the practice your 2nd one was probably better anyway :). Lucky dog though.

I'm so far behind on everything I am hoping we get a warm fall so everything can complete its cycle.

Loggers should be finished this week so I can catch up then. :)
Did you end up taking any offers for your tree carcasses yet?

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I know that a couple of you fellas are dealing with dry times.
Not here.
Garden got plowed early. (then it rained, & rained)
Dried out enough so I could till 2 days in a row, then planted & put out some transplants.
Then we had a cold snap & it rained & rained.
Stuff sprouted, but so did the weeds.

P1010001.JPG

Last week It dried out enough so I could till & weed, & things were lookin good.
Was ready to start mulching between rows .
That night it rained.
8 inches.
Lost a lot of top soil, gained a few ruts.
P1010001.JPG P1010003.JPG

Today finally was able to till again & it looks a little better.

P1010001.JPG
Tomorrows forecast... rain.....

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Yeah, 8" no lie.
We have a gutter below the house that the state road drains into.
I had thrown some stumps w/ rootballs into that from when I cleared out to put up the pole building.
I cut them off about 5 foot high to make it easy for the dozer to push over.
Most were 24" chest high diameter trees.
They were sinking in & I hoped helping with erosion
They disappeared overnight.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
glock; your pictures inspired a little ditty here: (tune of Hokey Pokey) :Happy:

We put the right door open​
we put the right door closed​
We put the left door open​
and we move the truck about​
we open both the doors​
and we pull the weeds all out​
that's what its all about​

BF

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
glock; your pictures inspired a little ditty here: (tune of Hokey Pokey) :Happy:
BF
And that my friends is why I think of GIM as a sort of MENSA brain trust thingy... (took me a while to get what the heck you were talking about).

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Damn! So that's where my brain is. I was wonderin what happened to it.
Ah, more like a brain fart there glock...

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Did you end up taking any offers for your tree carcasses yet?
No I am out cutting firewood daily right now. Possibly for the next couple of years LOL. I should easily drop about 40 lbs this year :)..
Why you want to come and cut some?

They are at the top of the property now. Very very steep up there. Cant even believe they are logging it but they getting it done. Lots of hickory, and chestnut oak up there. If they don't get rained out tomorrow afternoon I figure 1-2 more days and they are finished cutting. probably 1 day to clean out ravines and do some grading and life is back to normal except for all the firewood laying around. :). Got a couple friends comi9ng to cut firewood on Sunday.. Calling in a couple favors just to get the hill behind my house looking decent. Definitely makes quite a mess but when I am finished cutting firewood sometime in the 2030's it should look pretty good LMAO. :laughing::gracious:

Once they are gone I will place an ad and see what kind of interest I get. Also couple of the logging guys have expressed an interest to come and cut and haul firewood. They would pay 50 bucks a load for a pickup load. I'm good with that. :).