• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
200'? Holy smokes, that's crazy.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'm facing a year of cleanup also, I only took down 7 trees and what a mess! They were 200 feet tall redwoods and Doug Fir, so I'm sawing them up into lumber.
I'll bet you get some beautiful wood out of those. At 200 feet thats 20 10 foot sections LOL. Very nice.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
200'? Holy smokes, that's crazy.
You got that right.
That would be higher than many of our tree patch's are wide.
We feel good getting a 6 foot fence post that is semi straight. lol

charlie1023

Seeker
Seeker
(*SIGH*) (*snif*)

I just don't seem to be able to do anything like youse guys do... WAIT! WAIT!! I'll be right back

This ain't up there with Spinalcracker and his glorious rain drain strain, but we got a bit of serendipity at the Sneakydicker Househole when we had to get a reverse osmosis water system. They work by throwing away 3 gallons of waste water for every gallon of drinking water.

Well, for a dozen years, our mango tree really didn't do anything. BUT!! After a year of constant watering with mineral-laden water, the fargin tree went absolutely nuts!

We were slightly afraid to take a nap near it. Lookit:

View attachment 104661

For all youse Northrin types, Mango trees do not become opaque. Think peach tree. And they most ricky-tick do not have a snowfall's worth of flowers. So the one above is truly remarkable.

I made my semi-famous Mango Chutney. You put it on anything: rice, eggs, chicken, steak, anything.

View attachment 104660

...And we made loaves and loaves of mango bread (well, Herself did), but I stirred the mush and held the bowl while she filled a dozen breadpans. Neighbors love it. Gotta have it with cold milk.

That mango has gotta go back out on the sunporch. There are about fifty out there at this moment.
So my mango tree is about to explode it seems as the crop is starting to drop as well, always made fruit salad, smoothies, mango salsa and still have fruit frozen from last year aside from all I gave away. I never heard of mango bread nor tried a mango chutney, willing to share your recipes and help a brother out possibly?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
charlie:

I'll start off with sippin' yummies... as in

Unca Walt's Key Largo Limbo Juice (AKA: Mango colada)

• 1/2 cup mango juice
  • 1/2 cup cut-up mango
  • 1/2 cup crushed ice
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice (freshly squeezed, from about 1/2 lime)
  • 1/4 cup white rum
Throw all this crap in a blender. Serve in a tall glass. IMPORTANT --> As soon as you pour it out of the blender, MIX UP ANOTHER. This is necessary. The stuff goes down like an ice cream soda. Or, you could just plunge and increase all ingredients by a factor two or so (whatever the blender holds). That's what I do.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the other recipes:

Hope this translates...

Unca Waltie’s Sweet and Zingy Mango Chutney

6 lbs unripe mangos cut up bite size

5 lbs sugar

1 lb sliced almonds

2 lbs white raisins

2 Tsp red pepper

4 Tbsp salt

4 Tbsp cardamom

2 ½ cups water

5 cups white vinegar

6 Tbsp baking powder

Put the six pounds of chunky mango pieces in a humongous pot of boiling water. Let them cook until soft (about 45 minutes). Dump out the water. Add everything but the baking powder and water into the pot and stir it up good.

Put the pot back on the heat. Mix up the baking powder in water until it is dissolved. Dump it in the big pot and stir it up well.

It will thicken a tad. If you want it thicker, add more baking powder. It will thicken more, but don't overdo it. When it does thicken, ladle it into jars and screw the lids on. Serve with absolutely anything. Eggs, rice, fish, pork, beef, chicken, flammadoodles, copronies, yada.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This next one is prolly the best-tasting bread/cake (dunno what to call it, really) ever. Must be served with cold milk.

Unca Walt's Mango Bread (Two Loaves)

Ingredients:

2 cups flour

2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp. cinnamon

¾ cup cooking oil

½ tsp salt

1 ¼ cups sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

3 eggs

2 cups of diced ripe mango

¼ cup nuts (optional) (I don’t put nuts in)

½ cup shredded coconut

Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add eggs, oil, vanilla, sugar, nuts, coconut and mangoes; mix well. Pour into 8" by 4" by 2” greased loaf pans (spray butter works well) and let it just stand there for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Be sure to check with a toothpick for doneness as oven temperatures can vary.

Again... I usually quadruple the recipe. EVERYBODY wants some. Serve with cold milk.
___________________________________________________________________________________

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Here's the mess I've got, going to be working on it this weekend. The biggest was about 80 years old and 40" in diameter and will make some nice redwood lumber, has a bit of rot in the core, but I can mill around that. That's my friend Roy on the saw there.

Mess3.jpg

Tallone3.jpg

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
If anyone cares - these are all heirloom varieties. From left to right, Kay's Backyard (softneck), Chamisal (hardneck), Russian Giant (hardneck). And you can't really tell, but on the far right is one row of a mystery garlic bulb that was in my Chamisal order last fall. The other two varieties were from previous years harvest.

I like the hardneck varieties better - the cloves are more uniform and no funky small ones to deal with.

Last edited:

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
A wild fargin turkey-lurkey came by yestiddy afternoon and ate them down to the fargin ground. So much for the Sned corn crop.
"A" wild turkey, look WTF I have to contend with !!! :rage 1

3 years ago we had 4, now we have 30 to 40

Attachments

Last edited:

charlie1023

Seeker
Seeker
charlie:

I'll start off with sippin' yummies... as in

Unca Walt's Key Largo Limbo Juice (AKA: Mango colada)

• 1/2 cup mango juice
  • 1/2 cup cut-up mango
  • 1/2 cup crushed ice
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice (freshly squeezed, from about 1/2 lime)
  • 1/4 cup white rum
Throw all this crap in a blender. Serve in a tall glass. IMPORTANT --> As soon as you pour it out of the blender, MIX UP ANOTHER. This is necessary. The stuff goes down like an ice cream soda. Or, you could just plunge and increase all ingredients by a factor two or so (whatever the blender holds). That's what I do.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the other recipes:

Hope this translates...

Unca Waltie’s Sweet and Zingy Mango Chutney

6 lbs unripe mangos cut up bite size

5 lbs sugar

1 lb sliced almonds

2 lbs white raisins

2 Tsp red pepper

4 Tbsp salt

4 Tbsp cardamom

2 ½ cups water

5 cups white vinegar

6 Tbsp baking powder

Put the six pounds of chunky mango pieces in a humongous pot of boiling water. Let them cook until soft (about 45 minutes). Dump out the water. Add everything but the baking powder and water into the pot and stir it up good.

Put the pot back on the heat. Mix up the baking powder in water until it is dissolved. Dump it in the big pot and stir it up well.

It will thicken a tad. If you want it thicker, add more baking powder. It will thicken more, but don't overdo it. When it does thicken, ladle it into jars and screw the lids on. Serve with absolutely anything. Eggs, rice, fish, pork, beef, chicken, flammadoodles, copronies, yada.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This next one is prolly the best-tasting bread/cake (dunno what to call it, really) ever. Must be served with cold milk.

Unca Walt's Mango Bread (Two Loaves)

Ingredients:

2 cups flour

2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp. cinnamon

¾ cup cooking oil

½ tsp salt

1 ¼ cups sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

3 eggs

2 cups of diced ripe mango

¼ cup nuts (optional) (I don’t put nuts in)

½ cup shredded coconut

Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add eggs, oil, vanilla, sugar, nuts, coconut and mangoes; mix well. Pour into 8" by 4" by 2” greased loaf pans (spray butter works well) and let it just stand there for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Be sure to check with a toothpick for doneness as oven temperatures can vary.

Again... I usually quadruple the recipe. EVERYBODY wants some. Serve with cold milk.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Sweet, thank you sir!!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
"A" wild turkey, look WTF I have to contend with !!! :rage 1

# years ago we had 4, now we have 30 to 40

Holy Moly!

And I think I see two toms in that pic... one on the left, and the other in the back. Wow. Turkeylurkey dinner. I LOVE wild turkey! All dark meat.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Fresh deer liver for breakfast...
I have a simple, easy-to-make, and drop-dead delicious recipe for deer liver:

Cut liver up, cook in boiling water. Cut up an onion. Put the liver chunks and onion (and just enough water to enable blending) in a blender. Jazz it.

Chill the paste. Serve with Ritz crackers.

It is so good, it just ain't right. :2 thumbs up:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Holy Moly!

And I think I see two toms in that pic... one on the left, and the other in the back. Wow. Turkeylurkey dinner. I LOVE wild turkey! All dark meat.
Here is a better shot of the Toms
turkey 1 (Large).JPG

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Gotta 1/2 inch of water from a thunder storm last eve
It's been raining here for 3 days, like a cow pissing on a flat rock ! Total of 1 & 1/4

Our potatoes from last year just took off crazy fast this year. A friend gave me 2 female plants they seem happy in the greenhouse.
We just planted tomatoes, basil, peppers, string beans, zucchini, cukes & a bunch of spices.

2.jpg

1.jpg

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Saw my first fawn of the year.
Yesterday, I saw my first fawn & mom, we have one mom that always has twins & last year, trips. I'll try to get a photo today.

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We're getting overrun with tomatoes, harvesting 10-12 per day for several weeks. Many of them are huge, 1lb or larger. This is all coming from a $3.99 six-pack of seedlings.

The Seminole pumpkins are taking over, now creeping into the neighbor's yard. There are at least 20 pumpkins in the large bed on the left.

Here's one hanging from the trees along the right side:

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Have you grown these before?
They have a good rep for Florida storage, and,,,
Just looked them up & says you could eat that sucker right now without peeling.
How are you going to cook them?

Here's one hanging from the trees along the right side:

[/QUOTE]

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
First time growing them. My wife loves squash but heat and bugs have ruined my previous attempts at crookneck squash and zucchini. These are supposed to be a lot more resistant since they are native to the region. I also stole the natives' trick of letting them climb trees.

We already cooked and ate one that came off the vine. Very tasty. We cut it up and mashed it. I can't wait to try a mature one. I definitely want to do a soup, a pie, and try it roasted with some oil and salt.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Yesterday, I saw my first fawn & mom, we have one mom that always has twins & last year, trips. I'll try to get a photo today.
I'm on the phone with the local tallow truck, momma Doe decided to curl up against the back fence yesterday and she's getting a bit gassy. She left two little fawns, hopefully, the other does in the herd adopt these two and finish their training as goats.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
This is a great time of the growing season.
Busy busy busy!...
All the gardeners are jumping through their elbows right now.
Wheat harvest starts over in the southeast corner of Colorado , this week..
We are eating greens and peas so far.
We still have a table full of veggies that needs planting .. 0618181110.jpg 0618181110a.jpg 0618181111.jpg 0618181109b.jpg 0618181109.jpg 0618181106a.jpg 0618181113b.jpg
Some garden photos..

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Spinal, looks like you could use some lady bugs. What's the gorgeous flower?

Wife picked a big batch of radish's and man they is good, so good that I'm afraid walmart might find them and try selling something good. Wife made a potato salad and put in way too any bit's of radish that was so good that I damb near died of bloat.

Also she set a clucky hen 3 weeks ago with a dozen eggs and today she has 11 chicks. Only one is black which has me wondering where the fella in the woodpile is.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Hollyhocks...very hardy for this climate , its like dry Land flowers , grows without water.
Yep , the flea beatles are horrible on the kale...I sprayed with Spinosad today , that should help..
Baby grasshoppers hatching out everywhere and the chickens just can't get them all...
Other 5han the greens , no worries about underground crops....

I dropped a cannabis leaf on the ant pile and it went down the hole pronto...

Proverbs 6:6-8 King James Version (KJV)
6 Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:

7 Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler,

8 Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest. 0615181007a.jpg 0615181007.jpg 0615181008.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
We got an inch and a half of slow rain last nite, just what we needed. About half our wheat is cut, 1300 acres left to go, but its been a long 5 days, so well rest today, while were building fence and moving cattle onto new pasture. My cousin is wrenching on the 9600, better him than me. I came home for lunch and fired up the smoker, tritip is on the menu tonite.

The gardens look great. The chickens and chemicals have held back the grasshopper horde. The weeds are cmimng on strong, it might be til the first or mid of next week til we can kill em with the hoe. Too busy to fuck with it.

Taezzar, love the greenhouse, looks like a fun place to hang out.

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
We've had some decent shots of rain from time to time so far this spring, and the garden is coming along nicely.

Beans and squash are in bloom...kind of hard to see in the bad photos...
1529785330268.png
1529785372448.png

Tomatoes are forming, led by a few cherry tomatoes that are near ready to pick...
1529785459155.png
1529785494556.png

The zucchini seem to be leading the way, now that the strawberries have slowed down...
1529785583495.png

And speaking of berries, the blackberries and blueberries are progressing nicely as well...
1529785688947.png

Cucumbers and corn seem to be a bit behind, but look good. Raspberries are trying to bloom, but haven't really started yet. Overall, looking pretty good. Just need the weather to hold........

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
013.JPG

Green is the color here, but not much new. Done with the scapes and thinning the green onions...will let the rest of them grow to full size onions. A wee bit of spinach that didn't do well. Lettuce and snap peas are totally ripping, big time harvest. Tomatoes forming on a few plants and gardens are overall doing well. Good luck out there folks.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Boy I sure played my cards right this year!

My buddy and I planned to walk down to the river for a swim today. At the anticipated time I heard him knock on the front door. By the timw I opened it there was nobody there and this bucket of heirloom's was sitting on the step. I smile as I type thinking about what my surprised, elated reaction looked like.
Just then he came from around the side of the house, checking to see if I was there, and dropped a clutching of chard!

JUNE25TOMS.jpg

And I'm pretty smitten with the beauty of the gladiola that just bloomed by my back door....

GLADIOLA 2018 (3)s.jpg