• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
S O a B :shit happens:
Had a gosh darn porcupine get in the East Raspberry patch. Never ever had that before. Luckily it kinda/sorta died before it learned to eat grapes or apples.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
S O a B :shit happens:
Had a gosh darn porcupine get in the East Raspberry patch. Never ever had that before. Luckily it kinda/sorta died before it learned to eat grapes or apples.
But what a way to go out for ol' porky.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is one of the last full gardens my close friend and mentor had before being put into a coma in a car wreck. He's been fighting recovery for several years now but has managed to grow a small garden at another friends and a few plants at his current place but has a very hard time walking.

Bill is a master organic gardener and treats it as a spiritual cultivation path.

"Do you know what they key to gardening is?"
"What's that?"
"Feed the worms."
"Plants don't eat food scraps, they eat worm poop."

Bill's style as seen in the picture, is 4' raised beds with 45* sloped sides. It gets painstakingly hand turned one a year and the compost goes straight onto the top of the beds. This way it's aerobically decomposing as opposed to anaerobically. The earth worms literally devour table scraps like beasts!

Feed the worms! Bills garden 2.JPG Bills garden 3.JPG Bills garden 4.JPG Bills garden 5.JPG

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
It does my heart good to see other gardens and hear the stories....
If more people would grow their own food , the world would be a better place.
I lost a cat and 2 baby chicks this week.
Bummer.
I need to work on being more cold hearted and less emotional when it comes to animals and death.
It gets to me and I swear that I will never own another dog or cat or animals of any kind...
Peas are done here. It got to hot to fast and the peas petered out...
The spinach bolted before we got to harvest most of it..
Chard is good and some lettuce is still kicking..
No tomatoes yet but the jalapenos are putting on pretty good.
Lots of melons still need to be planted.
Cannabis herbs are doing good but hey , it's just a weed right?...
No hail.
Yet.
100+ degrees for about 3 days means a lot of watering and $100 water bills...
Fuk.
I will try and garden until I die.
I hope I drop dead out in the garden. Just throw some compost on me and call it good...

0627182028b.jpg 0627182029a.jpg 0620181920.jpg photo0_2_2.jpg IMG9520180621952045529501.png

Last edited:

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
@spinalcracker - I love your last post and couldn’t agree more.

So much life shows up in the garden. Success, joy, failure, defeat. But we still go at it year by year.

The rains came this week to much rejoicing. Tomatoes, green beans, cucs, peppers are starting to come in. Garlic harvest was ok, small bulbs - not enough water last fall. But still enough to enjoy.

Deer jumped my 5ft fence a couple nights ago and ate some green apples and all the flowers off a new daylilly so I won’t get to enjoy that this year. I need to go buy some more stinky spray and get my boys to pee around the fence line. Lol.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I need to work on being more cold hearted and less emotional when it comes to animals and death.
It gets to me and I swear that I will never own another dog or cat or animals of any kind...
Yessireeee, it is tough to lose your pets, even chickens. We lost 20 chickens last year to a weasel.
We lost our beloved Dobie many years ago, that was rough. So now we just have that shithead macaw, he will live to 100. He's the child that never leaves home. My son will get him when the time is due.

For the garden, we too have had a lot of heat, thankfully we are on our own well.
String beans, cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, basil and more are all going great.
BUT I broke the pot plants when I transplanted them outside. I just planted them down past the broken part, watered them well & left them alone for a week.
Like you say, they are a weed, they are doing well !!! :green tea:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I should also add that the mulberries have been particularly prolific this year, so there is a lot of mulberry jam.
I am waiting for my wild blackberries, they should be ready in Aug, blackberry jam, cobbler & WHYNE !!!

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I just found out about this !
Potato/tomato on same plant !! FYI, heads up & pay attention !! LOLOLOLOL

The "fruit" on a potato plant could be a grafted tomato, this is true BUT our plants are regrown from last year & therefore are not the "grafted" hybrid. The link below explains what has happened this year & makes it clear that the little cherry tomato looking fruits are poisonous.
http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/what_are_those_fruit_growing_on_my_potato_plants

My plants
IMG_1274 (Medium).JPG IMG_1275 (Medium).JPG

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
A little break from the rough and tumble world.

Everyone is enjoying fresh medicine from the garden.
Food is my nutritional meds.
Just picked some cherry maters...finally.
Cukes are coming on.
We have been enjoying fresh hot jalapenos and onions.
Hollyhocks in the garden help bring good bugs around. We have seen a lot of ladybugs this year.
Fingers crossed that the 90 day watermelons make it.
A few herbs.

0709181911d.jpg 0709181910d.jpg 0709181909_Burst01.jpg 0709181912b.jpg 0709181907.jpg 0709181901.jpg

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Are those tomatillos? I couldn't find any seeds or plants this year so went to the grocery store and bought one. Slide a 1/4" slice out of it and covered it with dirt about a 1/4 inch deep.. Had so many tomatillo plants I had to give some away. :)..

Loving all the garden photos. Everything is looking great

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My beautiful Gladiola's are bringing me smiles and peace.
Gladiola1.jpg

GLADIOLA2.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
A FOAF grew some medicine from stash seed a few years back with 100% Fluorescent lights and soil.

The FOAF had gotten some recent poorly grown home grown that had little itty bitty black seeds. He tried germinating the 5 that he found and ALL 5 germinated and were FEMALE! It turned out to be a KUSH variety. All 5 had distinct phenotypes with their own unique fragrance.

Anyway, I was blown away by the results from stash seed under florescents in tiny soil pots. Green thumb has he/she.

~ enjoy!

k10.jpg
k01.jpg k1.jpg k2.jpg k3.jpg k4.jpg k5.jpg k6.jpg k7.jpg k8.jpg k9.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Forgot to mention, there were a few seeds from stash that popped, one had a peener and the other a nice full budded plant developed.

k16.jpg

k11.jpg k12.jpg k13.jpg k14.jpg k15.jpg k17.jpg k18.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
k19.jpg
k20.jpg k21.jpg k22.jpg k23.jpg k24.jpg k25.jpg k26.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
k27.jpg

k28.jpg
k29.jpg

Last edited:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I just found out about this !
Potato/tomato on same plant !! FYI, heads up & pay attention !! LOLOLOLOL

The "fruit" on a potato plant could be a grafted tomato, this is true BUT our plants are regrown from last year & therefore are not the "grafted" hybrid. The link below explains what has happened this year & makes it clear that the little cherry tomato looking fruits are poisonous.
http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/what_are_those_fruit_growing_on_my_potato_plants

My plants
View attachment 106088 View attachment 106089
Those fruits will contain potato seeds, each one producing a different type of potato. I messed with a bunch of seed from fruits like those, I got from yukon gold. They were grown with norland and purple viking. We got lots of different types of potatoes from those seeds.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
A little break from the rough and tumble world.

Everyone is enjoying fresh medicine from the garden.
Food is my nutritional meds.
Just picked some cherry maters...finally.
Cukes are coming on.
We have been enjoying fresh hot jalapenos and onions.
Hollyhocks in the garden help bring good bugs around. We have seen a lot of ladybugs this year.
Fingers crossed that the 90 day watermelons make it.
A few herbs.

View attachment 106526 View attachment 106527 View attachment 106528 View attachment 106529 View attachment 106530
Sativa?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Everything here is looking good. We got garlic harvested, and some early odds and ends. We are on weed water duty. I caught myself looking at and dreading the 3 acres of sweet corn we have planted. A few more weeks now, and its on...........thank goodness its succession planted.

Our 12 drug cultivar cannabis plants look great, got em tied down, they are growing right along. its nice not to have to grow it for money anymore. The hemp is growing so fast you can almost see it get taller.

Hoeing weeds, and watering out of the arkansas river, thats what were up to. Everything is progressing nicely.

I did have an offer on my river bottom land, I told him to contact me in Nov, ill probably take it, since we might be doing quite lot of speciality ag consulting work in Oklahoma this coming spring. I am getting too old to grow food for others, in fact ive decided I dont really like most people, and could give a shit if they eat er not........might be hi-time to downsize the workload.

Besides, I gotta save myself for coyote season.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
We only have three zucchini plants, but they are rather prolific this year, providing a steady stream of zucchini. Damn things are everywhere.
In the past week, we have had two meals of baked stuffed zucchini; I have grilled a few others up with other meals; I have made six loaves of zucchini bread and two batches of zucchini muffins. And I still have seven of the damn things on the counter, and more coming on the plants.

1531346635780.png

1531346514558.png

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'm sure glad Jarrod likes Zuchini cause it eeds to be et by someone. It sure ain't gonna be me. I picked up a can of pumpkin pie filling once and read the label, the damb stuff ad a bunch of Zuke in it for filler, so I gotta eat only the wifes punkin pie as I kow it's punkin.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
When do you recon theyll finish, first of nov?
The Angolese finished Sept 15-30th last year..
The Malawi a little later....
Hopefully those two Africans can tame the long flowering Asian....
If not , i can always feed it to the chickens.
Not much goes to waste around here with birds. Them feckers will eat anything.
Did you get all your birds ok and it would be interesting to hear your feedback as to whether the birds made an impact on lowering the grasshopper population.

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Baked goods can be frozen ;)
Four of the six loaves are already in the freezer. You can also shred the zucchini and then freeze it, ready to go to make bread at a later date.

I'm sure glad Jarrod likes Zuchini cause it eeds to be et by someone.
I'm not a huge fan of zucchini, but I'm not a hater, either. Bread/muffins are pretty good. Also, sliced up and seasoned with some garlic pepper and salt and it is pretty good on the grill.

Like I said, not a huge fan...I often think that space in the garden could be better spent on cantaloupe or watermelon. But...if the day comes when you have to be able to grow/produce your own food if you want to eat, zucchini needs to be ranked pretty high. Prolific plants, and a lot you can do with it.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Did you get all your birds ok and it would be interesting to hear your feedback as to whether the birds made an impact on lowering the grasshopper population.
I know you were ot asking me but I have some feedback on this. We don't have 200+ birds this year running around the yard. Wife was out on the lawn evening before last and remarked on how there is actually bugs out there this year. We also don't have as many fly's around either.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Just a heads up ... more than half the Nova Scotia blueberry crop has been wiped out by a freak cold front that blasted through the north east last month. If you're a fan of berries, planting and hording just stepped up 2 notches on the priority scale.

Personally I've got gooseberry, black currant and raspberry plants. The currants are bitter as hell for the second year running.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Just a heads up ... more than half the Nova Scotia blueberry crop has been wiped out by a freak cold front that blasted through the north east last month. If you're a fan of berries, planting and hording just stepped up 2 notches on the priority scale.

Personally I've got gooseberry, black currant and raspberry plants. The currants are bitter as hell for the second year running.
My blueberries are done as are my raspberries. Serviceberries did well this year too, however, we only use those for fresh eating, and too, they are done for this year. I had gooseberries, but DIL took them over, so I seldom get any for myself. Currants didn't do much of anything this year, except put out a lot of new growth.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
The squash blossoms are pretty good dipped in egg batter and fried in butter.
And good for these carbon units ,
squash blossoms are high in calcium and iron and especially high in vitamins C and A.
And keep an eye out for corn smut. That's some good stuff in scrambled eggs or in soups...

1_corn_smut_2.jpg