• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
And keep an eye out for corn smut. That's some good stuff in scrambled eggs or in soups...
Ok, since I'm a culinary coward...
What does that stuff taste like?
Cause it looks like balled up intestines. The steers over the fence always got mine.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Lettuce is done...got bitter with the recent warm weathe but it was a good run until then. Not harvesting much right now other than more snap peas than we can eat. Cucumbers coming soon, tomatoes also. Garlic and onions should be winding down and ready to harvest pretty soon also.

IMG_4839.JPG

Our 5' high wall of snap peas with garlic, onions, squash, and potatoes keeping them company.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I ended up pulling the t tape in my personal gardens today. Weve in such a drought that the rodents are coming to our irrigation water in droves and chewing up the drip tape. Luckily I always furrow and plant on the beds, as im in very sandy soil and try to catch every drop of rain. Youd be suprised how long a half inch of rain will hold in sandy ground, 3 weeks for us, cuz we grow our plants 'hard'. I can pull the irrigation setup and water furrows if need be so thats what im doing. I have 2 bags of inline connectors for the t tape, and used half a bag splicing one line, im fucked, I have 13 lines. Im not spending any more $$ to bring this crop in. Flood irrigation it is, and I aint gonna leave them bastard rats a drop of standing water at dusk.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I ended up pulling the t tape in my personal gardens today. Weve in such a drought that the rodents are coming to our irrigation water in droves and chewing up the drip tape. Luckily I always furrow and plant on the beds, as im in very sandy soil and try to catch every drop of rain. Youd be suprised how long a half inch of rain will hold in sandy ground, 3 weeks for us, cuz we grow our plants 'hard'. I can pull the irrigation setup and water furrows if need be so thats what im doing. I have 2 bags of inline connectors for the t tape, and used half a bag splicing one line, im fucked, I have 13 lines. Im not spending any more $$ to bring this crop in. Flood irrigation it is, and I aint gonna leave them bastard rats a drop of standing water at dusk.
What's it mean to grow it hard?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
It means we dont give the plants all theyd need to be luscious and beautiful. That makes the plants dig deeper and work harder to make their fruits, thereby making the fruits more nutrient dense, better for you on the table. We want our plants to work, and bring something worthwhile to the table. I do alot of supplementing with kelp meal and rock and mineral dusts, and expect the plants to do their share in the garden. They work for me, and live because I allow it. I dont owe em anything, they owe me everything they can give. Its all about soil health.

I might not be the best at articulating it, but its a talk(s) ill always remember me and the spinal cracker had when we was trimming some real nice dope. he went to college for farming you know, I just skipped all that and went farming.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
It means we dont give the plants all theyd need to be luscious and beautiful. That makes the plants dig deeper and work harder to make their fruits, thereby making the fruits more nutrient dense, better for you on the table. We want our plants to work, and bring something worthwhile to the table. I do alot of supplementing with kelp meal and rock and mineral dusts, and expect the plants to do their share in the garden. They work for me, and live because I allow it. I dont owe em anything, they owe me everything they can give. Its all about soil health.

I might not be the best at articulating it, but its a talk(s) ill always remember me and the spinal cracker had when we was trimming some real nice dope. he went to college for farming you know, I just skipped all that and went farming.
You did a great job. Thank you. I never heard that about the nutrient density before but it makes sense,

I often preach nutrient density regarding intake and health after learning a lot from Mike Dolce. He's a guy that MMA fighter often hire to get them to cut 30 pounds for a fight without starving or suffering.

Mike Dolce says, "Eat earth grown nutrients every 2-4 hours based on what you just did and what you're about to do and eat until you're satisfied, not full."

UFC 148: Mike Dolce Explains How Chael Sonnen Will Lose 20 Pounds in 24 Hours

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
In regards to farming its like this. A farmer plants a crop, harvies it, then adds back n-p-k, thats nitrogen, pottasium, and potash. the plants take up so much more than those elements, all the trace minerals etc. Veg grown today thats grown on the same fields for decades are 30-40% less nutrient dense then they were when the ground was broke out and farmed initially. We add that back for our personal health, and make the plants work to take it up, so we can have good food on the table. We WANT to eat them trace minerals, we provide em in the soil, and make the plants take em up into their fruits. They do it willingly usually, its not a bondage type deal. We DO NOT overwater.

It is expensive on a large scale, cost prohibitive even. But when it comes to personal health, and how I treat my personal gardens, its worth its weight in gold. we feed our soil, and provide water and expect to be fed in kind. The only thing that can stop us dead in our tracks is hail, I have so much water I run it on the lawn alot of the time, and let the gardens get realreal dry.

Im 46 and expect to be eating off this land when im 90.

This is the home garden, we dont add back on the commercial plots, its just hit and run. The economics of that philosophy would break us on a large scale. It is not my responsibility to save the world, just make sure we are getting good food for our families from the home patch.

Fuck I sound like an asshole...............lol

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
In regards to farming its like this. A farmer plants a crop, harvies it, then adds back n-p-k, thats nitrogen, pottasium, and potash. the plants take up so much more than those elements, all the trace minerals etc. Veg grown today thats grown on the same fields for decades are 30-40% less nutrient dense then they were when the ground was broke out and farmed initially. We add that back for our personal health, and make the plants work to take it up, so we can have good food on the table. We WANT to eat them trace minerals, we provide em in the soil, and make the plants take em up into their fruits. They do it willingly usually, its not a bondage type deal. We DO NOT overwater.

It is expensive on a large scale, cost prohibitive even. But when it comes to personal health, and how I treat my personal gardens, its worth its weight in gold. we feed our soil, and provide water and expect to be fed in kind. The only thing that can stop us dead in our tracks is hail, I have so much water I run it on the lawn alot of the time, and let the gardens get realreal dry.

Im 46 and expect to be eating off this land when im 90.

This is the home garden, we dont add back on the commercial plots, its just hit and run. The economics of that philosophy would break us on a large scale. It is not my responsibility to save the world, just make sure we are getting good food for our families from the home patch.

Fuck I sound like an asshole...............lol
Not at all. You sound like a clear headed, down to earth, no nonsense guy with a good heart and lots of life experience.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
You did a great job. Thank you. I never heard that about the nutrient density before but it makes sense,

I often preach nutrient density regarding intake and health after learning a lot from Mike Dolce. He's a guy that MMA fighter often hire to get them to cut 30 pounds for a fight without starving or suffering.

Mike Dolce says, "Eat earth grown nutrients every 2-4 hours based on what you just did and what you're about to do and eat until you're satisfied, not full."

UFC 148: Mike Dolce Explains How Chael Sonnen Will Lose 20 Pounds in 24 Hours

Did you know, like Mike says, you will feel satisified, but not full when you eat live nutrient rich food out of the garden? When we eat the first greens of the year out of the garden, and it aint lettuce, but rather a rough brassica like essex rape (sheep feed hahahhahaha) or kale, you actually get a buzz when all that good shit hits your blood stream. In a healthy person with good gut bacteria it takes about 20-25 minutes. Its is kind of goofy and novel, but next spring give it a go, youll get a kick out of it. Itll make you taller than you were before..............:2 thumbs up:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Ok, since I'm a culinary coward...
What does that stuff taste like?
Cause it looks like balled up intestines. The steers over the fence always got mine.
It has a smoky flavor , makes plain scrambled eggs taste great!...
Corn smut is a delicacy in some places in Mexico...lots of recipes online.
Its best picked and cooked the same day cause it deteriorates pretty fast...

We know so little about survival foods compared to our ancestors.

user383_pic13531_1229690664.jpg

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
That was a good explanation...keep up the good work!..

Yep , we had some interesting conversations over a pair of Fiskars.
The fresh scissor hash was some of the best tasting form of hash I ever had. The Jackie-O was my favorite....(I finally got her back in my rotation)...

College!?..lol , I just took a year of Horticulture , turned down a apprentice crop scout job from Monsanto , turned that job down and moved to Colorado to help an old boy build some fence and grow some herbs...
Never looked back.

Say , didn't you do 4-6 years at Cornell and get an Ag Degree?.....

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I had a slight suspic
It has a smoky flavor , makes plain scrambled eggs taste great!...
Corn smut is a delicacy in some places in Mexico...lots of recipes online.
Its best picked and cooked the same day cause it deteriorates pretty fast...

We know so little about survival foods compared to our ancestors.

View attachment 106873
I had a slight suspicion that cracker fella was a pothead.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
No you don't coop, you sound like someone I'd like to sit down and smoke a bowl with. You and cracker both.

BF
Oh sure, leave me jonesin' on the sidelines! o_O

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
No you don't coop, you sound like someone I'd like to sit down and smoke a bowl with. You and cracker both.

BF
Maybe we can all get together in Colorado and solve all the world's problems.
Invite the entire GIM Tribe.
The Great GIM Smikeout.
Or at least talk about current events and how to have a garden with chickens and live together in harmony.

Edit: I'm leaving the smikeout.
0714180924.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I am game............if you boys wanna get on the weed and shoot the shit count me in. Ill bring some wax, some organic buds, veggies, and a few buffalo tri tips to smoke on the weber.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ok, now I'm excited and my stomach is'a groanin!

Name it and Ill be there!

I don't know what to bring though as you guys already got all the good stuff.

Damn you cooper, ya had to go and mention smoked tips. After working in the heat ripping that stupid bar apart I've been inhaling anything and edible in large quantites.

Seriously though, this is the best idea drummed up in a while. Maybe I can bring guitar/drums.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I dug my few potatoes, onions, and garlic today. Was 100 degrees out there today. Glad there is just the two of us to feed, well, those 3 granddaughters do come running in all hours of the day wanting grandma to give them something to eat. Some days they're over here before grandma is even up, they do know to come to my window and get me to come unlock the door for them to come in. Nothing like having grand children right next door!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I am game............if you boys wanna get on the weed and shoot the shit count me in. Ill bring some wax, some organic buds, veggies, and a few buffalo tri tips to smoke on the weber.

I am such an innocent old fuck, I haven't a fargin clue what the hell "... wax, some organic buds, veggies, and a few buffalo tri tips to smoke on the weber" means. :chef::racoon:

But to letcha all know what is going down at Chateau Sned, Herself and Your Humble Obd'nt &tc got the Long Reach out and picked the last of the mangoes. Fargin squirrels woulda got them by tomorrow fer sure.

We gonna make some more mango cakebread (cake baked in bread loaf containers). Mango, coconut, pecans... to die for.

Since we are on the subject, my grandling Wolfie stopped by with his gorgeous squeeze, Mattie. She had never fired a gun of any kind before.

Soooo... natch, I got the AK-47 out. And the .44 Magnum Centennial monster hogleg. And my laser .22 rifle. And the .44 1851 Navy black powder pistol. We spared her the larger guns,*** but promised her next time she could detonate the cannon. She had a blast. Many blasts, now that I thinks on it. She blew through a coupla hundred rounds on the AK. Just TWO rounds with the Centennial (it hurt her hand).

***Wolfie will not shoot my Big Boar .58 caliber hawg gun any more,:blew up:and he put the kibosh on her even trying.

She was SO proud of the bruised-up shoulder from the AK-47 -- she had Wolfie take multiple pics of it.

And the .22 laser was a real treat for her, because she could fire from the hip and put all the bullets on the target.

Fun with kids.

Last edited:

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Had to pick this guy a bit early since the wild life is starting to get interested in the tomatoes.....

pounder.jpg

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
The next wave of strawberries is upon us...picked enough today to make a batch of jam tomorrow. Plenty of cukes as well...prolly be some pickling going on tomorrow as well. Beans and zucchini keep a coming. Lots of tomatoes formed, but not close to ripe yet. Other than a few cherry tomatoes, anyway. But we had the first acorn squash of the year today. Damn tasty. I friggin love acorn squash.

1531621482135.png

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I am such an innocent old fuck, I haven't a fargin clue what the hell "... wax, some organic buds, veggies, and a few buffalo tri tips to smoke on the weber" means.
Oh, we combine all that into sort of a Paella. Cook it outdoors in a huge pan. Add shrimp if you're on the left coast, lobster if you're on the other one. If coop is bringing buffalo tips I guess it's going to be a midwest Paella.
If you're not up for the wax just ask for the low octane version, we'll probably cook some up for the timid people.

:Happy::Happy:
BF

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Unca Walt , just wait until you learn about rosin , resin , keef , hash balls , shatter , and oleoresin.
We dab it all using a dab rig. Or mini bong if you will.
Just add coffee and cookies and this here is a wake and bake...
Or in my case its taking my morning meds so I can halfway feel normal and functional...
Some fresh oleoresin made from some 9 month cured Angolese cannabis...
Cookies by Keebler and Russian coffee...
0715180731.jpg 0715180732.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My buddies back in Maine were both on disability and would play a couple to several cribbage games every morning. I'd often hike up there before starting work at the restaurant and join the festivities. There was another gal in it too and at one point we actually were card carrying members of the Wake & Bake Coffee club. That's also where I watched the Towers fall after being dismissed from work renovating some condos. Surreal.

Both those guys have passed over now. Sure miss those daze.

Sorry for drifting, your post brought back memories.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
When the allosaurs get too rambunctious, we just set our pet birdies onnem to clean them all out.
But them snakes that eat cars gots me afeered supthin aweful! Ya can't even freely shootsum anymore kanya?

This was taken this past Mother's Day at my buds house down yonder path here in Ozarka'ville...

Snakes @ WALTERS.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Oh yeah, pit, I'd have to spend eight hours at the border gettin back in (the DEA never forgets).

BF
Last time I came home it was 7 hours of the most fun me and mouth could endure. Gosh it's fun being an asshole once in a spell just cause you can.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
But them snakes that eat cars gots me afeered supthin aweful! Ya can't even freely shootsum anymore kanya?

This was taken this past Mother's Day at my buds house down yonder path here in Ozarka'ville...

View attachment 106957

Fvck.
That would have me moving to an arctic type location in seconds.

On a great note, I got to eat a bowl of fresh raspberries today so I ain't so jealous anymore.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Snap peas are a bumper crop, some green beans rolling in. Cucumber and squash vines are starting to run rampant, but as long as they don't negatively impact the heirloom tomatoes, peppers, bush bean and other stuff, we'll let them run in true libertarian freedom.

IMG_4855.JPG

Good luck out there folks.