• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is where I'l be eating from soon. I'm calling it the Squash Forest. Cultivated by a close friend 2 minutes from my house.

squash forest.jpg

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
In regards to farming its like this. A farmer plants a crop, harvies it, then adds back n-p-k, thats nitrogen, pottasium, and potash. the plants take up so much more than those elements, all the trace minerals etc. Veg grown today thats grown on the same fields for decades are 30-40% less nutrient dense then they were when the ground was broke out and farmed initially. We add that back for our personal health, and make the plants work to take it up, so we can have good food on the table. We WANT to eat them trace minerals, we provide em in the soil, and make the plants take em up into their fruits. They do it willingly usually, its not a bondage type deal. We DO NOT overwater.

It is expensive on a large scale, cost prohibitive even. But when it comes to personal health, and how I treat my personal gardens, its worth its weight in gold. we feed our soil, and provide water and expect to be fed in kind. The only thing that can stop us dead in our tracks is hail, I have so much water I run it on the lawn alot of the time, and let the gardens get realreal dry.

Im 46 and expect to be eating off this land when im 90.

This is the home garden, we dont add back on the commercial plots, its just hit and run. The economics of that philosophy would break us on a large scale. It is not my responsibility to save the world, just make sure we are getting good food for our families from the home patch.

Fuck I sound like an asshole...............lol

Spot on coopersmith. Trace minerals and micro-nutrients are never replaced in modern cash-crop farming and rarely thought of for even the most astute gardeners and farmers. Organic matter is also slowly lost via crop harvest and losses by erosion of exposed soils from wind and water. It's a good thing we have Monsanto GMO seeds that can grow anywhere with minimal soil structure, nutrients, and rainfall...SARCASM. Very little of that GMO seed poison actually goes directly to the table, it feeds the fuel industry and feed lots that become fast food.

Spinalcracker: Corn smut is good, tasty stuff when prepared properly as you mentioned, basically a weird mushroom.
Jarrod: I friggin love acorn squash as well. Our 2 heirloom varieties of squash are in full bloom now, will be a few weeks until we can harvest any.

Good luck out there folks.

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Not a bad couple of days in the garden. A bowl full of strawberries, a bucket full of beans, a few cucumbers, some acorn squash, and a buttload of zucchini. Not pictured...another half dozen or so large zucchini and a bunch of cherry tomatoes. Coming soon: tomatoes, butternut squash, and more of everything here...

1531953242452.png

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Man oh, man... somebody hadda be fargin DESPERATE to eat that shit. Lookit:

BLEEAAACHH.

"It was a brave man who first ate an oyster."

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Man oh, man... somebody hadda be fargin DESPERATE to eat that shit. Lookit:

BLEEAAACHH.

"It was a brave man who first ate an oyster."
Walt , did you have any coffee this morning?...
...did you know that nephew Brandt is playing at Carnousti?...

We all know that you have ate your share of weird stuff. I am afraid to ask.

Unca Walt is so bad ass that he eats rattlesnake meat.....alive.

http://www.sweetcorn.illinois.edu/Common-smut/Recipes.htm

corn-smut-aka-huitlacoche.jpg 9ee4ce57dfe5421070ae29f01e5e3720.jpg Calabacitas-con-Huitlacoche1.jpg

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Well, in China I ate chicken feet... Bird's Nest Soup (made from bird spit)... And sea cucumber (which looks EXACTLY like a giant turd). And boiled duck embryo (it was alive when they dumped it in the fryer)... And sixty-year-old soup.***

In Guatemala, I ate a fried tarantula. The guts tasted like vomit, BTW...

Right here in the US, you can get Southern fried rattlesnake in a lot of restaurants in Texas. Tastes like frog's legs and is yummy.

As far as Brandt... Nope. I din' know. I will check it out. Thanks a ton for the tip.

Now regarding the filthy rotted corn... I have faith that it is edible. But so are boiled pig's balls. I pass on both.

*** World War II caused many great losses for the Chinese... not the least of which was the loss of several HUNDRED + YEAR OLD soups. Yuppers. What they did was just kept on adding to a huge cauldron kept warm (not hot) so that the cauldron never got empty. The soup was served by dipping it out and putting it in a warming dish to make it hot.

With the occupation of the Japs, many old, iconic and famous soups were irrevocably lost. When I was there, the oldest was 60 years...

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Not a bad couple of days in the garden. A bowl full of strawberries, a bucket full of beans, a few cucumbers, some acorn squash, and a buttload of zucchini. Not pictured...another half dozen or so large zucchini and a bunch of cherry tomatoes. Coming soon: tomatoes, butternut squash, and more of everything here...

View attachment 107156
Love the pic.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Finally threw my potted raspberry into the ground a couple weeks back.

Just as it stopped producing the Canna lillies shoot up next to it. The Hummingbirds love em.

In the same bed are 2 types of mint and a strawberry plant that's making herself at home nicely(out of pictures)

I'd like to try some poke salad this year too.

canna1.jpg canna.jpg

sunshine alley

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I experiment with different things every year in the garden. Here are a few things you may want to try .

Malabar spinach. this is a viney, climbing spinach and it loves hot weather and grows like gangbusters . It doesn't seem to have any issues with pests , unlike spinach, swisschard , kale which are favorites of the cabbage worms.

Asparagus beans. its a stringless bean that grows to be 1-3 feet in length. It seems immune to disease and fungus and also grows like gangbusters.

Bannaloupe or banna melons - this is my 1st year growing these and they are supposed to be a cross between bannanas and canteloupe as far as taste.

STUMP OF THE WORLD TOMATOES - this is the best tasting and biggest variety of tomato I have ever grown and its the only tomato I grow . Cant get the plants at lowes or home depot. You have to buy the heirloom seeds online.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I cut up a lemon drop pepper for my salad. It's great but I scratched my onion and now HEAT!!!

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well fark. Got home at 6.30 pm and it was wet and white out. At 6 the wife said it was like jet engines starting up in the clouds and then it dropped 7 tenths of an inch in 3 minutes with a lot of hail. Hail was still on the deck at 10 and the garden was still standing water. Wasn't big hail but there is damage. Sure cleaned off the cement around here though. Nobody 3 miles away in any direction got more than a couple tenths. Good old summer thunderstorms are fun to watch but man can they drop a pile of H2O in a hurry if you is epicenter.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Had been dry here, I even had to run the rain barrel on my blueberries, the sprinkle on the rest of the garden. That all changed today, steady soaking rain falling out there. Rain in the forecast right on through next several days. Good thing wife got some more seeds in the ground when she did. Still time for late summer early fall garden stuff.

Ends all plans to ride far on the bike.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Just heard about a new bug that is knocking on Pennsylvania's door.
The Spotted Lantern Fly harms fruit, vegetables, & hardwoods.
Seems it's always something....

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Well fark. Got home at 6.30 pm and it was wet and white out. At 6 the wife said it was like jet engines starting up in the clouds and then it dropped 7 tenths of an inch in 3 minutes with a lot of hail. Hail was still on the deck at 10 and the garden was still standing water. Wasn't big hail but there is damage. Sure cleaned off the cement around here though. Nobody 3 miles away in any direction got more than a couple tenths. Good old summer thunderstorms are fun to watch but man can they drop a pile of H2O in a hurry if you is epicenter.
That's exactly what happened to us here, and was that dark cloud in the pic I posted. I thought the irrigation system was on outside! Like a white mist sideways and every which way. I then had to ru out and close the windows in the truck so by then I said F-it and kept working in it. It didn't take long to dry off once the sun came back out. It didn't quite hail on the ground, but it looked like it was before falling.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just realized the pic I posted was in the WM thread...

f64.jpg f73.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
We call that getting 'the drop' on yer ass. Pisser isnt it. once when I lived across the street from the cracker (cant remember if he was there yet or not), I had a nice day, and some time, so I planted out tomatoes and peppers. Mo nature took offense I guess, and promptly wiped it out a few hours later, to the ground, no start over, no re-do-sees.

It was a good thing for us that year, that they still sell tomatoes and peppers in cans.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
If it makes you feel any better, we had 5 quarter section circles of corn hailed out this spring in morton county kansas. I lost about 300k frn, that govt subsidized insurance might pay for the seed, but it sure didnt make up for a good crop.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Big or small , hail kills it all!...
Mother Nature is a bitch.
Always something...
2 of my allotted plants died..
Just like that..
Less than 24 hours..
Same regime of soil , water , and nutes for everyone...
A trip to Denver now to pick up a couple replacement plants...
Otherwise we picked our first cukes and cherry tomatoes and added some fresh red onions and fresh juicy garlic and it was a great salad of live food!...

Cooper , I don't recall if I was here then but yes , we have seen hail on 96 going to the Springs where the highway dept brought out snow plows to clear the Hwy...
Just this side of Punkin Center....

Death.

0720181547a.jpg

And this is a result of me not paying attention to Mr Rooster who promptly spurred my situational awareness arse up....
I am now on Bactrim and probiotics...

.. 0720182112.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm a big peroxide fan too. Thanks for reminding me I'm gonna post pics of my aloe soon.

My mom ended up getting attacked by one of her roosters a couple years back anytime she walked near one of the hens. She finally decided to kill it in some third tier way and went in the pen to grab him and ended up wringing his neck. SMH, I said, that wasn't a very good idea next time just shoot him! I'm pretty sure she stewed him. Since then she's found a Brazilian guy who takes em to eat.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
On them plants, it had to be a root problem..............a collapse like that just aint normal. Alot of that can be avoided by putting em in the ground. I always do anymore, alot less maintenance. We have had some 6 pounders, in the ground. And no funny bidness. Our dirt isnt that good, mostly blow sand. Kind of like yours.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So Cracker, was that healthy looking plant next to it just lucky?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
On them plants, it had to be a root problem..............a collapse like that just aint normal. Alot of that can be avoided by putting em in the ground. I always do anymore, alot less maintenance. We have had some 6 pounders, in the ground. And no funny bidness. Our dirt isnt that good, mostly blow sand. Kind of like yours.
a 6 pounder would be a dream of mine to see in person. Shoot even a one pounder!

UWP (Useless without pics)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

SICK!!! Err ma garrd!

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Its all about what you put into it. I was gonna upload some pics, but the site wont take am, all too big.

Them pics you posted are all 8-10 pounders id guess.

that fake deer looks cool.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

11 POUNDER!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Its all about what you put into it. I was gonna upload some pics, but the site wont take am, all too big.

Whatcha think that other thing is? Looks like either a bear about to pounce or a burlap sack

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Stored rainwater and sunshine! :)

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Lots of water used right there..........id hate to have to be the one to take em down, esp with a short or shitty crew. It can be done, but its alot of work.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I just showed them pics to the old lady, she was not impressed. she says, 'I aint trimming that sht'. I told her baby, weve only need 3-4 of em. fuck off she says.
Take a week to trim one of them down!

3 or 4 he says. That's 30-40 pounds divided by 2 = 15-20 pounds. So 17.5 pounds as an average = 280oz. 280oz divided by 364 days = .769 ounces per day per person. That ought to cover medicinal needs. :weed:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
On them big plants you just pull branches and cut off the fan leaves and hang it. Box up the dry branches and do em thru the winter. That gets you down and out before frost. Them last few days of take down are a hectic mofo. I dont mess with that shit nomo, not to say I wouldnt if need be. im still in my prime. Were waiting to see which way the wind blows.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
a 6 pounder would be a dream of mine to see in person. Shoot even a one pounder!

UWP (Useless without pics)

My god.

Holy shit.

EEK. EEK.

The above is a pic of a country boy's heaven.

I had no fargin idea that they could get that big... and that healthy. I never had a single plant that got bigger than barely two feet before it became extinct from moldy rot or rapacious peacocks. And not one ever survived. (*sigh*)

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If it makes you feel any better, we had 5 quarter section circles of corn hailed out this spring in morton county kansas. I lost about 300k frn, that govt subsidized insurance might pay for the seed, but it sure didnt make up for a good crop.
That don't make me feel better as we is all in this together and you getting whacked certainly don't make my cukes grow better.