• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well, granada and holly took a direct hit. I would imagine my river valley crops are toast.
That sucks.

Had fun in the garden this eve. There was a mole in the potatoes so wife had me set a trap. I set two one leg ho;d and one pipe. I set the pipe and wife took the leghold. We were cooking a steak and heard the mole trap go off. Then the wife says there are two skunks by the garden shed and one is in my leghold.[said prouder than a peacock]. I shoots the other and after steaks I drag the other off for dispatch.:fire: Gotta love a good meal with entertainment.:2 thumbs up:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
We took quite a beating in the valley, its one of them deals, lets wait and see what happens. Everything looks real rough. If it goes to the dark side well turn the cattle out on it. Theyll make it into a turd.

Rough damn mess, I think the spinacracker got it some bit worse then me. I got it real good............er............bad.

Its been a rough yr boys.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We took quite a beating in the valley, its one of them deals, lets wait and see what happens. Everything looks real rough. If it goes to the dark side well turn the cattle out on it. Theyll make it into a turd.

Rough damn mess, I think the spinacracker got it some bit worse then me. I got it real good............er............bad.

Its been a rough yr boys.
Sorry to hear that. I know its rough doing all that work then getting hammered.. Hopefully you get some recovery and nice weather to finish the season.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Wed never give up, if we did wed have to move to town...........wed go to jail for sure.
Ain't that the truth though. I'd sooner live poor rural than rich urban.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Well, youll never go hungry out on the prairie, if your a good neighbor. I sure love my folk. Its been a shithouse deal boys.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Me and the wife fucking round here w the books,, recon ive lost 500k to hail this yr. Tough ole deal for sure. At least im not on govt loan. Them 5 circles of corn, what a hit, oh man. Id mow pits lawn for loonies. Were in a bad way I guess. I recon ill get a job.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Me and the wife fucking round here w the books,, recon ive lost 500k to hail this yr. Tough ole deal for sure. At least im not on govt loan. Them 5 circles of corn, what a hit, oh man. Id mow pits lawn for loonies. Were in a bad way I guess. I recon ill get a job.
for fuck sake..........

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
the Garden of 2018 is officially toast , Mother Nature won this year.......the cukes , melons , tomatoes....gone.....
no cows here but i did take a few fences down and let the chickens have it....

only thing that is good are some in ground onions and sweet potatoes......maybe 2 cannabis plants might make it.....thanks gawd for the hoop house , , the plants in there are ok and we should make medicine this year......
...we will get a few tomatoes from the 50 or so that we planted...

the hail went through the roofs of some homes , i heard the banker talking to my neighbor about it...my neighbors north side of his house is toast...i bet ther is not one car without a broken window unless it was in a garage...

windows boarded up all over town like its shut down...

we have a lot of out of pocket expenses , meeting our deductables , before any insurance kicks in...
this is definately a kick in the financial nuts for a lot of people......

my motivation to do any garden work is a negative -3 on a scale of 1 to 10.......

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
the Garden of 2018 is officially toast , Mother Nature won this year.......the cukes , melons , tomatoes....gone.....
no cows here but i did take a few fences down and let the chickens have it....

only thing that is good are some in ground onions and sweet potatoes......maybe 2 cannabis plants might make it.....thanks gawd for the hoop house , , the plants in there are ok and we should make medicine this year......
...we will get a few tomatoes from the 50 or so that we planted...

the hail went through the roofs of some homes , i heard the banker talking to my neighbor about it...my neighbors north side of his house is toast...i bet ther is not one car without a broken window unless it was in a garage...

windows boarded up all over town like its shut down...

we have a lot of out of pocket expenses , meeting our deductables , before any insurance kicks in...
this is definately a kick in the financial nuts for a lot of people......

my motivation to do any garden work is a negative -3 on a scale of 1 to 10.......
Fark bro! So sorry to hear that. So much time, care & love taken away in a few moments.

There's always a bright side to things. Hopefully you will find it's light as you and your surviving crop carry on to live another day.

NM

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I hear you cracker, pretty demorilizing aint it. I havent done much since the storm, just kind of moped around, and drank too much..........got my head out of my ass today, and started painting my youngest boys room, to get my mind off the whole thing. This was meant to be my best year ever.......

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reading this makes my problems look small.
Bout 10 days ago, truckload of wood from behind the house, going down the hill, break line explodes. Fortunately it stioopped before I went into the ditch.. I was like oh well, that sucks, at least I got a back up pickup.. 2 days later throwout bearing goes in that... Well, at least I got my car still.... Next morning car doesn't start, fuel pump went in that. Ok down to the 4 wheeler.. LOL... Yea today guess what doesn't start..
And to cap it off the log splitter didn't get delivered because they refuse to come down a dirt road. Fortunately my friend lives in Col and less than 1/2 a mile from the trucking company. He also happens to be my mechanic and was obviously coming down this weekend to work on my stuff anyway.

Anyway, even all of that combined doesn't compare to your losses guys.. Very sorry to hear this

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Really sorry to hear about your losses, bruthas. Big kick in the nuts for sure.

Wife has been pulling stuff out of her garden. It's small in size but having a better year than most which I believe is because there are less rodents around. At the start of the growing season I sprayed a natural repellant all along the stockade fence, around the garden perimeter and other areas the little bastards would run or hide. Not sure if that what kept them away but it is an unusual lack of garden pests.

Tried uploading a pic of the Mommy Weiner Dog Memorial Tomato Garden which the Mommy dog planted herself. Got a banner that said file is too large. Mommy Weiner loved tomato's. And she would go into wife's garden and help herself. Then seeing as the dogs have free run of the back yard, she'd poop in the stone area where the above ground pool used to be. For the past few years, we have about a dozen tomatoe plants that come up on their own.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reading this makes my problems look small.
Bout 10 days ago, truckload of wood from behind the house, going down the hill, break line explodes. Fortunately it stioopped before I went into the ditch.. I was like oh well, that sucks, at least I got a back up pickup.. 2 days later throwout bearing goes in that... Well, at least I got my car still.... Next morning car doesn't start, fuel pump went in that. Ok down to the 4 wheeler.. LOL... Yea today guess what doesn't start..
And to cap it off the log splitter didn't get delivered because they refuse to come down a dirt road. Fortunately my friend lives in Col and less than 1/2 a mile from the trucking company. He also happens to be my mechanic and was obviously coming down this weekend to work on my stuff anyway.

Anyway, even all of that combined doesn't compare to your losses guys.. Very sorry to hear this
Geeze dude! Carma sux! Love your attitude though. :)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Blueberries were on sale for $1.99 pint. I got 8 pints to stash in the freezer. I dump em into a bowl with fresh water and a little vinigar and let em soak for a while then rinse well, dry and freeze. Pecans and BB's makes a good after work snack.

bbs.jpg

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Man I feel for ya guys. Old ma can make a man feel awful small. Wife caught another skunk and being a sharing kinda lady she let me deal with it. I was gonna pick raspberry's last eve after I got home from spraying but found very few as it seems my neighbor had time off too.LOL Got real good spuds and a lot of tomatoes are gonna produce. Carrots and peas are a bust but we got a neighbor with great carrots.

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
spinalcracker, that sucks man. I know your pain...that happened to us a few years back. Hailstorm leveled the garden, shredded the trees, and we noticed that the birds were much fewer after that storm. Punched holes in our vinyl siding...it was a mess. Paid our insurance deductible, and got new roofs and new siding on three sides of our house and garage. The insurance adjuster didn't seem amused when I suggested we be compensated for the loss of food from our garden...

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Not sure what we did this year to get this to happen, but the cantaloupe coming from our garden are friggin' huge.
First photo from a few days ago...two liter bottle for reference. Second photo from earlier today...gallon water jug for reference.

1533521710182.png

1533521781245.png

Strawberries have slowed a bit, but still coming. Beans keep coming. Cukes keep coming. Tomatoes are starting to kick into gear...a few ripe ones here and there, but they will be coming fast a furious in another week or so. Cherry tomatoes and zucchini are coming out of every crack and orifice we can find right now. Winter squash (spaghetti and butternut) are ripening on the vine; might actually be close to ready to pick a few of them. Acorn squash keep coming, and keep getting eaten.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Nice pile of garlic. Figs are looking good too as is that OD.. I ran that once bout 7 years ago. Liked it a lot. !!. Nice to see it still around.

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
SQUASH! 17 acorn squash, 14 spaghetti squash, and 9 butternut along with two of indeterminate variety. Still more on the vine, and more coming. We'll move the acorn squash to the basement storage right away, and let the butternut and spaghetti squash cure for a couple days before moving them to storage. The acorn will last a month to maybe 6 weeks. If properly cured, the spaghetti and butternut will last several (up to 6) months. You may notice a few tomatoes on the rack with them.

1534099010545.png

And one of the german shepherds insisted we pick a watermelon. He seems happy, but I'm not convinced it's ready yet. We'll find out soon enough...

1534099288098.png

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Well, the German shepherd was right. Always trust your dog's instincts...

View attachment 108439

That looks a heck of alot like 'blacktail mountain' variety of watermelon, bred by Glenn Drowns when he lived in idaho. We grow that variety en mass every year, its a winner, as a fridge type melon.

Hes one of them seed saver guys who was a serious breeder/member sort, and told seed savers to get fucked when they started taking monetary donations from monsanto (now bayer).

Glenn Drowns -- https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/ hes a good un boys, support him if youd like.

Last edited:

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
And now the tomatoes are coming. Lots of work when they are producing, but lots of reward from it. First, the chopping block then through the strainer to make sauce...

1534730395772.png

Then a boil and long simmer in the pot...

1534730586583.png

Then a long hot water bath in the canner...

1534730645751.png

And we have the first dozen pints of pasta sauce of the year. More to come...

1534730730741.png

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Jarrod the wife has bushels of tomats coming on now and will be doing what you showed for weeks. I picked 10 gallons of peas today and then be dambed if she [who must be obeyed] said, "shell em". So I did while watching my riders snuff the stampeders.:2 thumbs up:

Looking at all my buddies skunky crops I am surprised to say mine may be the best.:thumbs up 2:

The hail that shredded the cucumbers earlier didn't shred their will to reproduce as she made 2 gallons of bread and butter pickles today. :winks2:

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Jarrod32
I like the look of that counter top electric canner. I didn't know there was such a thing.
All we have is the old style for the stove, & it takes forever to come up to temp on our glass top stove.
How do you like that thing?

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Jarrod32
I like the look of that counter top electric canner. I didn't know there was such a thing.
All we have is the old style for the stove, & it takes forever to come up to temp on our glass top stove.
How do you like that thing?
I really like it. Kind of an expensive gadget, but handy. Keeps the heavy stuff off of the glass top stove, and keeps the stove clear for other things. That spigot on the side is handy...set it next to the sink and no worries about lifting a heavy canning pot, or emptying the water when you're done. Good for small batches...7 pints, 6 quarts. They rate it for more, but that is what seems to reasonably fit. But small batches are what I tend to work with, so it works well for me. Do an Amazon search for "Ball FreshTech water bath canner".

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
IMG_5384.JPG

Cucumbers and tomatoes going strong. Pulled a few carrots to make dinner with, those are the first of the season for us.

IMG_5385.JPG

First potatoes of the season also. About half a crate of both red and yellow from plants that were clearly done. Still have about half of our plants to dig, but the yield seems below average this season.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just had a surprise delivery...
Yellow squash, acorn squash, japs, mystery peppers and a never had before "sweet potato squash" straight from the ozark dirt. Was told the gardens around here are having lots of trouble for unknown reasons. The garden this came from (that I pictured previously) is getting raided by a woodchuck.

Attachments

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Pyramid, that looks like plain good fodder right there. I'm thinking all the smoke we have here[from BC fires] is affecting some growth due to sun rays not getting through the haze. I've been eating tomatoe and onion sandwich's for every meal while they is fresh.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
10 gallons of apples makes apple juice, apple sauce, apple pie filling and apple crisp. Also makes me wonder why most don't do it.
Tomorrow the girls are gonna can about 30 quarts of peach's while I pick the last picking of peas.
IMG_2908.JPG

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
For those that grow Sweet Corn, check out the Kernel Kutter, a pretty basic tool that works well manually, and it's Made in the USA.
http://www.sweetcorncutters.com/

If that's not good enough, the manufacturer found a way to mechanize the kernel removal with power tools!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++