• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Those strawbale gardens look cool and all that but they make nice homes for mice and other critters....
Good to see all you Cool Cats still tending and harvesting gardens..
We are enjoying some fresh veggies but no canning , not enough to mess with..
The Cherokee purps make excellent mater sammi

Attachments

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
003.JPG

In the upper left are 3 Turban Squash that the lady friend picked out for our garden...havn't eaten one yet. A few green beans, carrots, and tons of cucumbers. Our tomatoes havn't done so well this year, it's been relatively cool and wet. We've gotten a shitload of rain (like 7-8") in just the last 2-3 weeks, so a lot of the tomatoes are absorbing too much water and splitting on the vine before they're even ripe. Too bad, that's such a waste. Too wet to get much going for fall crops and it's pretty much too late now. Can't believe the season is already winding down. Good luck out there folks.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Pyramid , that photo could be used on the cover of a seed magazine...very nice arrangement.

Let me know how poor the quality of this video is and I promise not to do it again..
I thought about posting this in the Flat Earth thread...

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Thanks spinalcracker on the photo compliment. I didn't notice it until now, but our boy cat is playing "where's waldo" and is visible in the bottom left...he blends in nicely with the grey outdoor carpet in the background underneath the glass table.

Your video quality is just fine, but the wind noise was a bit much. Is it just me or do both sides of the road have very different vegetation or was it lighting effects? One side looked much darker (sagebrush?), whereas the other side looked much lighter with predominantly grasses.

Thank you and good luck out there.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Is your boys name Waldo?...I am slave to 5 cats.
Sorry about the wind.
First video I ever tried.
Maybe I can find the silent mode.
Vegetation is same on both , must be lighting...side...sagebrush...but a lot of huge farms all over here , wheat , corn , milo , dryland of course , most likely RoundUp ready are predominate crops..throw in some sunflowers and that's about it out here ....
Edit..after looking at the video , the first land was harvested for wheat and then the wheat straw , and that's the stubble that I think has been hit once with a disc...

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Picked up this 300 gallon Stainless steel tank a few years ago. We used it for butchering chickens. Would fill it full of ice and then throw them in it. Bros father in law quit chickens, so I got my tank back.

Going to use it to collect water for the garden, then eventually I would like to raise fish in it. Need to weld a ball valve onto the bottom for a shutoff. Also having our shop guy make a stainless cover for it. Should have less than $200 into it when it is all said and done. stainless.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Nice piece DC. How thick are the walls?

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Picked up this 300 gallon Stainless steel tank a few years ago. We used it for butchering chickens. Would fill it full of ice and then throw them in it. Bros father in law quit chickens, so I got my tank back.

Going to use it to collect water for the garden, then eventually I would like to raise fish in it. Need to weld a ball valve onto the bottom for a shutoff. Also having our shop guy make a stainless cover for it. Should have less than $200 into it when it is all said and done. View attachment 112424
Man, I could make one helluva batch of blackberry whyne in that !!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
How does a neodymium magnet react to it?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
IMG_5408 (2).jpg

All but done here. Last major harvest of the season in the wagon. Harvested most of our squash and the remaining potatoes and cucumbers. Still have a few tomatoes, green beans, carrots etc. hanging on after a frost or 2. Cleaned out most of the garden to get ready for next year and fall garlic. Good luck out there folks.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Same here Pyramid , we started cutting down tomato plants , a lot of leaves but no fruit so they are going in the burn pile..
I heard tomato vines are not good for the compost pile...
We are basically tearing down and like Pyramid , getting ready to plant fall garlic...
A little color now that it is cooling down into the 30's....

0927181850b.jpg 0927181851.jpg 0927181854.jpg 0927181853a.jpg 0927181856.jpg

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Musn't have much snow there yet. It is actually pretty comical what 6 inch's of wet snow can do to the happy crop that ain't picked. Got down to -6C night before last and now there are a lot of folk squeaking about frozen taters in their gardens. We had ours all up and felt pretty smug.LOL

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Cracker, that's some nice stuff. I was given 2 plants about 8 weeks ago, lost one & the other budded out enough for me. Quite stinky & sticky. Theses are the bigger buds, I had some more smaller ones. It enough for the old fart for a year or 3. I make oil with it. We are starting to get our rain now too, we get 72 to 80 inches/yr ! Temperature is falling too.

pot_1505.JPG pot_1504.JPG

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Musn't have much snow there yet. It is actually pretty comical what 6 inch's of wet snow can do to the happy crop that ain't picked. Got down to -6C night before last and now there are a lot of folk squeaking about frozen taters in their gardens. We had ours all up and felt pretty smug.LOL
I didn't plant any potatoes this year. Since the boys are moved out the money saved vs the back saved is a wash.
In years gone by, I would cover my rows with ground up leaves maybe a yard thick & cover that with plastic.
I was able to dig fresh potatoes till spring.
They did grow lots of bumps & stuff, but we don't have a root cellar so It worked here where the frost line is 3 feet.
Obviously this ain't gonna fly for your guys where the frost line is 8 feet.
Bhrrr...........

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Found these two turtles in my yard recently (one in the back the second a few days later in the front)The shrooms I photographed at a job I just finished up.
T3.jpg S1.jpg T2.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Cracker, that's some nice stuff. I was given 2 plants about 8 weeks ago, lost one & the other budded out enough for me. Quite stinky & sticky. Theses are the bigger buds, I had some more smaller ones. It enough for the old fart for a year or 3. I make oil with it. We are starting to get our rain now too, we get 72 to 80 inches/yr ! Temperature is falling too.

View attachment 112590 View attachment 112589
Nothing stirs my loins quite like purple ganja!

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
frost line is 3 feet.
Three feet deep? The ground will freeze down that far where you are?
Damn, I barely see frost to the bottom of my grass around here, let alone feets under the ground.
you must live in canada cool:
BF

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Nice photos newmisty....
You can make some turtle mushroom soup.........
Please let us know how that works out and post a recipe...
cracker, you gunna do "Fried Green Tomatoes"?
I've had turtle soup, down in Mexico 40 years ago, it's damned good !
Damn, I'm gett'en hungry !

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
cracker, you gunna do "Fried Green Tomatoes"?
I've had turtle soup, down in Mexico 40 years ago, it's damned good !
Damn, I'm gett'en hungry !
Yes Sir!......and with okra , all rolled in cornmeal and flour...we will have to buy the okra.

Never had turtle soup , I might try some if I did not know what it was.
Squirrels and rabbit's are OK too.....

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What a beauty. Sativa dominant hybrid? I imagine there's some indica in there for the peyote effect.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
After looking at my notes , its lineage is pretty much Mexican Oaxaca and Skunk lineage...an haze if you will...got some small popcorn buds drying now and we will be testing them soon...
Say, cracker, you, a, need any more testers? I'm retired and, a...

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I just ordered another 1000 sq ft of commercial-quality weed block. I got tired of trying to keep ahead of the weeds and never even coming close. In Spring I weeded and put down an extra thick layer of cypress mulch in the citrus tree bed. But by the end of summer the weeds were taller than the lime trees.

So this fall I started putting down weed block after clearing each bed and so far, so good. I plan to lie fallow this winter and then cut holes in the weed block for tomatoes next spring. Hoping I can go 2-3 years with no major weeding required. They claim the weed block will last 5 years even in direct sun. We shall see.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Never had turtle soup , I might try some if I did not know what it was.
That's the problem with most Americans, they eat with their EYES instead of their TASTE BUDS !!!
Sea turtle (I don't know about fresh water turtle) is damned good. There are 7 different textures of meat in a sea turtle & it makes a helluva soup that you eat with corn tortillas. You wrap the meat in a tortilla & drink the liquid. If you ever get the chance to try it, do it ! :2 thumbs up:

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
A couple of overnight freezes and the garden is pretty much done for the year. Final inventory as of today: 12 spaghetti squash, 9 butternut squash, 11 acorn squash, 33 pints of pickles, 28 pints of pasta sauce, 5 half pints pizza sauce, 5 half pints mulberry jam, 4 half pints blueberry jam, 7 half pints peach jam, 19 half pints strawberry jam, and three quarts peach pie filling. Also five loaves of zucchini bread in the freezer, a couple dozen packages of green beans, and several packages of shredded zucchini to be used for bread or muffins at a later date. Plus everything that we ate along the way. Though some of the pickles are carryovers from last year. A bit light this year, but not too bad.

1539824686677.png

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Very nice stash Jarrod..gold.

Finally got the garlic in and none to soon. Sunny and 60's for a week or two after 3 days of hard freeze.
Fingers crossed that the garlic and the magic of photosynthesis find nirvana and become One.

In the meantime my camera is possessed by Satan... 1027180912a(2).jpg

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I dunno how I missed this thread.

I sit in humbled wonder at you guys. Amazing results. I am pretty good at growing a really strong mold. And Brazilian peppers (related to poison ivy).

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Hah! You and yer sideways pictures, cracker. I thought at first you had a photo of a buncha hay bales :Happy::Happy:

brick
I've tried to get them right but to no avail.
Its weird , this android , the photos show up right on other forums..
And some photos show up right and some don't..
Like this one..

1020181541b.jpg