• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Here is a different kind of garden bounty. The rains have been going long enough & I am finally getting around well enough that Mrs. T & I took a short trip into the forest. I have a favorite spot that usually produces well. Today was really great. We were gone less than an hour total time.

4 Nov 18 Chanties.jpg

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Nice, what type are they ? I know nothing about mushrooms or identification.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Nice, what type are they ? I know nothing about mushrooms or identification.
A D, they are Chanterelles, very safe to gather (no poisonous look alikes) very good eating, when done right, not too bad done wrong !!
We are fortunate to have them close by. The city dwellers have yo drive 30 miles or more to get them. They sell in the stores, fresh, for around $10-12/lb.
I have concocted a sauce that I put over fried fish or chicken & also, noodles or rice.

If you want to know more, go here.
https://www.wildedible.com/foraging-chanterelles#where-to-find

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Not mine but nice kitchen...

There is some movement in the medical community and some easing of restrictions for physicians to use mushrooms in low doses to treat depression , headaches , other stuff...

Microdosing really helps me manage severe migraine and cluster headaches...

3df4f453cda60935eec3a224b56afd63.jpg

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Not mine but nice kitchen...

There is some movement in the medical community and some easing of restrictions for physicians to use mushrooms in low doses to treat depression , headaches , other stuff...

Microdosing really helps me manage severe migraine and cluster headaches...
Lucky me, I don't get headaches, BUT I've been told that I give'm. LOLOLOLOL
I would think that pot would help.

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Super nice coin...... but shouldn't this be in Numis thread ?
I can relocate it if needed.
A D, I think it is here because of the "liberty cap" ( a type of psychedelic shroom) on the back of his head !

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
So these were in the mail today. And thus it begins again...
You betcha, Jarrod32. We received the Seed Savers catalog a couple weeks ago and I've been reading it like it's the only piece of mail I've received in months. We've already mapped out our garden spaces for 2019. We have a measly 1000 square feet of it in totality, but that's all we've got. We're analyzing our current seed stock that will be used in 2019 in addition to new seeds we may wish to order.

Winter vegetables rock. We've got a good supply of squash, taters, onions and garlic that will get us through winter when the pantry is relatively barren and we can whip up a good meal without going to the store with our garden stuff.

Good luck out there folks.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
we can whip up a good meal without going to the store with our garden stuff.
That is a great thing, especially when the store is 45 miles away and their produce ain't as good anyway. Our catalogues won't show up for a bit yet.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I have gotten a few catalogs as well, I keep them on the nightstand beside the bed and look at them at nite. Indeed, it is a great feeling to go to the pantry, on a cold stormy winter nite like this, and whip up a meal grown from homegrown faire.

No market garden for us this year, just growing for ourself. I hope it puts some of the fun back into the whole deal.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
No market garden for us this year, just growing for ourself. I hope it puts some of the fun back into the whole deal.
Just about anything I done for fun and then tried making a few bucks at it turned it into work. Seems when your just doing it for yourself with no expectations it is almost therapeutic. [Holy flipping [L] I spelled therapeutic right or me spell check has give up on me]

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Just about anything I done for fun and then tried making a few bucks at it turned it into work. Seems when your just doing it for yourself with no expectations it is almost therapeutic. [Holy flipping [L] I spelled therapeutic right or me spell check has give up on me]
Not to mention, when you try to do something for someone, or help someone, you generally end up being fucked. That has been my experiance anyway, im done messing w people, time to use all my energy to help myself.

Yup im ready to grow exactly what I want to grow, for myself, in a therapeutic fashion.

:2 thumbs up:

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
We have a measly 1000 square feet of it in totality, but that's all we've got. We're analyzing our current seed stock that will be used in 2019 in addition to new seeds we may wish to order.

Winter vegetables rock. We've got a good supply of squash, taters, onions and garlic that will get us through winter when the pantry is relatively barren and we can whip up a good meal without going to the store with our garden stuff.

Good luck out there folks.
You can grow a lot of food in 1,000 square feet...

We have a lot of squash yet as well. Had a butternut squash with supper just a few days ago. Lots of beans and corn in the freezer, the canned pasta sauce and jams and pickles...it is always fun to pull that stuff out and enjoy it in the middle of winter.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
it is almost therapeutic. [Holy flipping [L] I spelled therapeutic right or me spell check has give up on me]
Take all the small victories we can! I shocked myself with correct spelling of a tough word the other day. Almost phoned a friend! :p

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I would recommend against using SSE. Glenn Drowns of sandhill preservation center (who used to be the curator of the sweet potato and curcubit collections at SSE) sent me this link a few years ago.

https://www.beginningfarmers.org/se...y-vault-excerpt-of-a-letter-from-its-founder/

He left the organization as soon as this was revealed, and has since verified all the accusations are true. I have alot of respect for him.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
South Floriduh Swamp (the primo site of Chateau Sneakydicker) will allow ONLY certain things to grow.

The reason: nematodes. When we first built the house, I rototilled a huge garden. All kindsa veggies, because this was FLORIDA with an all-year growing season. All the veggies crashed. Onions simply... melted. Cukes were crabbed over and withered. Never found a carrot. And so on.

Brought a sample to the dirt folks. Cost me fifteen bucks to have them show me a slide that had too many little wormy-things to count.

"Them's be nematodes, Laddie!" they told me. I would have to poison the ground with GALLONS of nematode-away.

Screw that. I have well water. I gave my rototiller to my best bud in Georgia.

I'll skip the sad story of the raised garden.

On the GOOD side, when something grows here, it GROWS here. We just thawed another mango-bread-cake. I get mangoes by the bazillion. I hear in Yuperland they go for a buck apiece. Yikes.

The coconut tree I planted out of a bucket is now a Daddy eleven times over. I was just tryna keep them bowling balls offa my lawn, so I'd pick them up and heave 'em eastward. Ten grew there. And there is one I missed that is now growing directly under its Daddy. Too late to move it.