• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Picked up about 200# of butternuts this afternoon. There are still a few apples and pears on the trees - daughter-in-law will get most of those. Not much of anything left in the garden that we will be harvesting. Almost time to get the garlic planted.

I did take the queen excluders off the bee hives today and put on the bee escapes. Lots of fun. I wear a white long sleeved tee shirt, gloves, bee vail, and blue jeans. No stings. I have two supers to pull in a couple days, looked to be 8-10 lbs of honey in the two supers. Should be enough to hold over the winter with what we have on hand now.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
well harrumph....I go 4 feet through my tom-oh-tee-oh patch and pick a 5 gallon bucket. Yes, that is on my knees and arms length each side. To get length wise through the patch was 5 buckets.

edit: yeah I am drowning in these things as I will never get them harvested. I think I needs a better plans,,,.....
Do you have the ability to juice or dehydrate the surplus tomatoes? I've juiced a bunch of our surplus big tomatoes and mixed it 50-50 with carrot juice, apple cider, or some other combination of fruit/vegetable juice that neutralizes the acidity of juiced tomatoes. Juiced tomatoes sure isn't like V8. "Sun dried" tomatoes can be accomplished via oven or dehydrator with proper direction and can be as good or better than store-bought stuff if done properly. We've given away a bunch of our surplus produce to thankful folks without gardens...the more people growing their own food the better. Good luck out there folks.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
So suddenly I find 200+ birds here along with these renegade chicks; seek romper room for illustrations. And, these chicky-chiks are killing my tomatoes. I get what I can, when I can. But, these lil birds at least leave me a few because them peppers are coming on strong and full of fire.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Picked up about 200# of butternuts this afternoon. There are still a few apples and pears on the trees - daughter-in-law will get most of those. Not much of anything left in the garden that we will be harvesting. Almost time to get the garlic planted.

I did take the queen excluders off the bee hives today and put on the bee escapes. Lots of fun. I wear a white long sleeved tee shirt, gloves, bee vail, and blue jeans. No stings. I have two supers to pull in a couple days, looked to be 8-10 lbs of honey in the two supers. Should be enough to hold over the winter with what we have on hand now.
I have lived with a butternut tree in the old pasture that I never paid attention to till it finally came down & needs to be cleaned up.
Here is an article that splains what to do with them:
http://www.twisted-tree.net/new-page-1/

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I have lived with a butternut tree in the old pasture that I never paid attention to till it finally came down & needs to be cleaned up.
Here is an article that splains what to do with them:
http://www.twisted-tree.net/new-page-1/
Oh, we do like butternuts, they were a planned tree planting when we moved here in 2004, so they did produce very good for their age. Of course we have about 20 trees, so that helps. They are not in our garden, rather on our lower flat, but we planted them in a way as a somewhat permanent type of "wild" produce. We've also black walnuts that are just starting to fall. Since we have so many butternuts, we may not gather many of the walnuts.

As for lumber from either, the black walnut makes much nicer lumber but is slower growing. I may be to old to see any lumber from either the walnut or butternut trees.

birddog

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Interesting - never heard of a butternut tree. I thought you were talking about butternut squash.....

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I may be to old to see any lumber from either the walnut or butternut trees.
I always figure tree planting is paying it forward. (Christmas tree & fruit trees being the exception)

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I always figure tree planting is paying it forward. (Christmas tree & fruit trees being the exception)
Planting fruit, berry and nut trees is like long term gardening. When we think gardening we normally think that little vegie patch outback, I even think of my honeybees as part of my garden, as without bees you're not gonna have much of a garden.

Another thing I started but have not finished is a small pond, (very small), all kinds of options with that. Problem is I got down a few feet and ran into sandy gravel. I still plan to finish it, but will have to get some sort of way to line the hole to hold the water, otherwise it just seeps out. Planning on runoff from the house and garage to fill and keep water in it.

Everything in nature seems to be connected.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Dan, there with the pond; liner is what you need alright, but the few feet down to sand/gravel gives you a good overflow drain for roof water run off. Just set an overflow pipe into the pond as you build it.

BF

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Dan, there with the pond; liner is what you need alright, but the few feet down to sand/gravel gives you a good overflow drain for roof water run off. Just set an overflow pipe into the pond as you build it.

BF
That would be or is the plan. One off the house roof is already there, why I know water just seeps out after a good shower.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
We are getting ready to plant garlic and onions now.
Do any of you gardeners have a recipe for killing squash bugs? Seems I fight them every year and they win.
Nothing else going on except we harvested a few medical plants yesterday....
image.jpg

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Not sure if soap in water sprayed on the squash bugs will work but I use it on maple bugs up here.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Not sure if soap in water sprayed on the squash bugs will work but I use it on maple bugs up here.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Squash bugs would probably just tell you thanks & could you scrub their back while you're at it.
You know how you can keep after potato bugs & Mexican bean beatles by mushing their egg masses?
A squash bug egg looks like it's from a Si-fi movie like little metal orbs.
You mush it with your thumb & the leaf is destroyed, but the eggs are still there lookin good.
And of course if you mush the adult bug, it stinks to high heaven.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I use a dilute castille soap solution on the squash bugs, if you are diligent it will wipe them out, But you have to get the little buggers every time after they hatch but before they lay eggs.

Here's the last tomato of my garden, a pretty thing if I say so myself.
I've gotten broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, onions and garlic in the ground now. Sugar snap peas and some fava beans will go in once daytime highs are in the 60's. Or when the dang smoke clears and we finally get chilly nights.

20171017_191147~2.jpg

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I use a dilute castille soap solution on the squash bugs, if you are diligent it will wipe them out
Ok so now your zucchini smells "minty fresh?"
Do you need to hit the bugs directly as in see them & soak them down"
Or does it also kill them if they come in contact?

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Ok so now your zucchini smells "minty fresh?"
Do you need to hit the bugs directly as in see them & soak them down"
Or does it also kill them if they come in contact?
Buy the unscented version! You do not want peppermint zucchini! https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronners-Pure-Castile-Liquid/dp/B000HK1OOY
I hit them little buggers directly with the soap, it ONLY works if you get the insects wet, no effect if the plant has soap on it. Except the squash bugs move to a different part of the plant. Here are basic instructions, about 1 TBSP soap per quart of water in a sprayer/watering can, the stronger the better when trying to kill them. I buy the Castile soap at Bed Bath and Beyond.

At home I add a few drops of chili oil to the sprayer also to discourage deer and rabbits from eating my landscaping. Deer especially since they'll taste anything and then spit it out if it's bad, but they can smell the chili oil and won't take a bite in the first place.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I ran the tiller over most of my garden today. We'd had a light frost the other morning - beans, tomatoes, just about everything else was already done, so I did leave a couple pepper plants, and most of what was left of the celery plants. Getting ready to plant some kale and garlic cloves. I might also build up a bed for some of those red raspberries that are growing where I thought I was planting purple raspberries, move some of those. Those produce twice a year.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
MMMMM — requirement for Mongolian beef

Damn, I'm jealous of you guys and your gardens. I live on a 15° slope of 4 lots that grow great blackberries.

BF
I'll trade you jalapenos, hot Italian and bell peppers for some blackberries!

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Oh yeah, you probably got wild raspberries and blueberries too. Chelan's nice country, I just don't like the snow stuff.

BF

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Well, finally cleaned off the pepper plants. We're getting a little heat this weekend, 80° today and mid 70's with lows in the 50's so I might get a few more to ripen before frost kills them. I'm going to try to keep my Ghost Pepper plant covered over the winter and see if I can keep it for next year, it never really produced and it would be nice to get a little hot pepper!
Hot Italian chilis, Jalapeno and gold/green bell peppers for Salsa!

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Well, finally cleaned off the pepper plants. We're getting a little heat this weekend, 80° today and mid 70's with lows in the 50's so I might get a few more to ripen before frost kills them. I'm going to try to keep my Ghost Pepper plant covered over the winter and see if I can keep it for next year, it never really produced and it would be nice to get a little hot pepper!
Hot Italian chilis, Jalapeno and gold/green bell peppers for Salsa!
Dig up that ghost and take it inside if you have the room.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Dig up that ghost and take it inside if you have the room.
I will get a white 5 gallon pail and poke a few holes in it, mulch good around the pepper and then cover it for the winter once we have a risk of frost. Should be able to keep it alive all winter that way.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
2017 is in the books. At our community garden (~260 sq. ft.), we harvested the last of our carrots and brussel sprouts, mulched the garlic and spinach, cleaned things up and turned the soil over for aeration purposes and ease of tilling next year. Our other fall crops of lettuce and radishes failed due to cool, wet weather...oh well. Looking at expanding and relocating our home garden into mainly a herb garden (currently ~150 sq. ft.) where it gets more sun and redoing much of our landscaping in that part of the yard.

Loved all the info, posts and pictures on this thread from everyone. Fire this thing up early next year Mr. Spinalcracker and good luck out there folks!

Haven't posted in a while. Been busy with fall clean up work around here. The fruit trees didn't do squat...a few peaches on one tree but that was it. We had a warm spell in the spring that I think started them, then another hard freeze that I believe ruined the season. Lots to look forward to next year. We have only been on this place for a few years, so still trying to get things established. We will probably add a couple apple trees and maybe another peach tree next spring. Our strawberry patch has developed nicely, and the raspberries finally started to take hold with several runners developing and expanding the patch this past summer. Both should continue to develop nicely next year. The rhubarb patch we started seems to be developing nicely, as well. I hope to get some from that next year (that will be the third season, so should produce some).

Not glorious, but not a bad haul for this season. Current inventory is 22 pints of pasta sauce, 15 half pints of pizza sauce, 8 half pints of peach jam, 9 half pints of strawberry jam (with a partial still in the fridge), 7 pints of peaches, 52 pints of pickles, and 27 packages of beans in the freezer. There was a lot more of everything, but we ate as we went along, as well as giving some away. We also enjoyed several acorn squash, cantaloupe, radishes, peas, onions, peppers, and a few watermelon.

This was only our third garden, so we are still figuring some things out, but already looking forward to next year...

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
What's Cracking In The Garden 2018

Can you believe its almost the middle of January and we have a week of 50 degree weather!?......
And
And
It's almost time to start cracking some seeds!
Well almost time.
Chit , its snowing in Tallahassee this morning!..wtf!?....
My big goal for the 2018 garden is to plant some fruit trees. I like the Granny Smith , for cooking , and the Pink Lady for eating off the tree and juicing.
The Plan is to also increase garlic and onion production while cutting back on sunflowers and squash.
The fecking blackbirds can swarm my sunflowers and wipe them out in 30 minutes!...and I am sick of fighting squash bugs so only a few squash this year.
Back to dreaming and planning....
Good luck and harvest blessings for 2018!....

0104180729.jpg

0104180730.jpg

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I'm hoping to get my super hot peppers germinated from seed this weekend, they mature so slow! and then do tomatoes and other chili peppers in February.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Lump , I hear you on the hot peppers...we love our hot peppers and plant lots of different varieties..
Of course our favorite are the old standby jalapenos and then we go from there...
Georgia Flame is a good one for us too..
The Fatalii and Cyklon were hot sumbitches and we usually dry up a variety of peppers and grind them up for seasoning in soups and inlets and stuff...
We are going to try the Hot Portugal and Hinkelhatz just cause its such a bitchin' name...
Don't forget the chickens.

Attachments

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Hey SC,
I plant mostly standard peppers (Jalapeno, Ancho/Poblano, sweet bells) but like to toss in a couple habaneros and scotch bonnet pepper plants, and this year I'm trying the Charleston Hot Pepper developed by some USDA scientists in Charleston. Supposed to be quite hot, but not as hot as a ghost or Carolina Reaper.
Catchy or weird names sometimes is all it takes to try something, Hinkelhatz (lol, nice reference Chicken Heart) sounds interesting after googling it.
My little town is one of the few in the US that has outlawed honey bees and chickens in city limits. Obviously, someone in the city government had never experienced how beneficial these creatures are.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Spinalcracker:
50 degree weather? Good grief, weather is much nicer and more moderate in your area than here in the Upper Midwest where is hasn't gotten above 15 degrees in 2-3 weeks. I'm not whining, but temperatures below ~20 degrees are just unnecessary and very hard on people, vehicles and equipment to get work done. The several days where temperatures were in negative digits at night and early morning, not including wind chill, are even more annoying.

We're not even thinking about planting seeds until about March, but thanks for the reminder to get planning for 2018. Good luck out there folks.

Last edited:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Lump , pretty soon it will be illegal to have a garden.....
Pyramid , if this warm weather out here at 4500' in any way helps al Gore-Bore and the global warming nuts , I will start burning my trash in a 55 gallon barrel again.....
The meteorologists are calling for 63 degrees this January 9th...Wtf?......guess I better sharpen the blafrd on the mower.....

What's Cracking In The Garden 2018

Can you believe its almost the middle of January and we have a week of 50 degree weather!?......
And
And
Well almost time.
Chit , its snowing in Tallahassee this morning!..wtf!?....
My big goal for the 2018 garden is to plant some fruit trees. I like the Granny Smith , for cooking , and the Pink Lady for eating off the tree and juicing.
The Plan is to also increase garlic and onion production while cutting back on sunflowers and squash.
The fecking blackbirds can swarm my sunflowers and wipe them out in 30 minutes!...and I am sick of fighting squash bugs so only a few squash this year.
Back to dreaming and planning....
Good luck and harvest blessings for 2018!....
Got the first two seed catalogs in the mail in the past couple days...but yeah, still a bit early to get started. It is about four months before we will be puting anything into the (currently frozen and snow covered) ground. But I'm with you on the fruit trees. I want to add another peach tree and a couple apple trees this spring...

I like my acorn squash too much to cut back on it. And the sunflowers make good chicken fodder.

And we were over 50 degrees today (and lost most of the snow), but we are forecast another 4-6 inches of snow overnight on Wednesday...

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The winter crops started coming in, got some nice broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, 2 handfuls of sugar snap peas. The cabbage was put up in a canning jar for my first sauerkraut of the year, I hope to put up a dozen or so this winter for sausage season next summer. The others all go into stir-fry with pork for dinners and lunches during the week.

Stay warm out there in the Midwest and spring will be here sooner than you know it.

20180113_130703_HDR - Copy.jpg

20180113_130945_HDR - Copy.jpg

20180113_143743_HDR - Copy.jpg

Message_1515877155200 - Copy.jpg

Attachments