• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Cedar apple rust (CAR)
They start out like this:
View attachment 102962

And then turn into this...
View attachment 102963
Exactly what I was trying to communicate and they absolutely had to go from the property. They seem to need apple trees for the cycle to be complete. At first I was unaware of the effect they had on apple trees and the cedar trees were small, so I would put gloves on and pick the fungus things off the cedar trees and burn them. Once the trees got large and the fungus things got to be too many, is when I noticed the problem with apples and that is when we went to all the trouble to try to control the interaction by removing the cedar trees.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If the shoots are red they are dead is a general rule. For better fig production try pinching the tip off after you see 5 leaves. You will then get 2-4 stems from that point on and each will produce figs. Last year my HC produced about 50 figs and every one of them ripened.

Pulling the rest of the figs out today and let them get rained on tonight.. See what happens in a month. The ones that survived will get moved into a prime spot by the house for maximum sun and heat. The ones that didn't make it, I will just reuse the medium and contained for all the ones I had indoors over the winter.

Thanks for he heads up on the cedar. I didn't know that and will send them down to my friends parents house instead. Saves me digging 25 holes too. LOL.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
id settle for 25" a year.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Spring seems a bit late this year. No trees are green yet. My Pink Dogwood always opens up between the 14th and 21st of April. This year it hasn't even started to open yet. Feels like we are 1-2 weeks behind.. Big change from last year. Probably the earliest and longest growing season I have seen in the last 8 years.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Feels like we are 1-2 weeks behind..
At least 2, I've seen farmers with corn up by this time, not this year, they have not even yet got on the field to prep it for planting.

OTOH, out strawberries, usually blossom early in April, are just now blossoming, strawberries by 1st of June now, a bit late.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Spring seems a bit late this year. No trees are green yet. My Pink Dogwood always opens up between the 14th and 21st of April. This year it hasn't even started to open yet. Feels like we are 1-2 weeks behind.. Big change from last year. Probably the earliest and longest growing season I have seen in the last 8 years.

I agree, were a few weeks behind as well. I keep a soil temp log and we are still really cool here.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
On the other hand my rhododendrons are blooming, little yellow blossoms have begun to pop on the forsythia, and my burning bush is greening up with new leaves. Spring may be late; but it's definitely here in NW Indiana.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I agree, were a few weeks behind as well. I keep a soil temp log and we are still really cool here.
I saw the Cubs -- Rockies baseball games on TV just this past weekend. They were playing baseball one evening when the temp was 37 degrees.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
the 125 trees arrived today. Blown away by how big they are. I was expecting 12" trees or something. The cedars are 2' tall and the others about 3'. Looks like I have to do more digging than I expected.
I think I did find a home for the cedars.At first I was hoping I could plant them far enough away from the apples but the literature says up to 2 miles the fungus can spread.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
up to 2 miles the fungus can spread.
I'm sure there are some closer to me than that 2 mile rule.
But, removing the ones from within a few feet of my apple trees did help.
We still have to spray sulfur mix on the apple trees in early summer.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I meant to put that in the "How's your weather" thread. Sorry, but after all the weather and baseball talk I was getting mesmerized.
Fava Beans are going to be ready soon, then I'll braise some artichokes and make Italian Spring Stew with pancetta, or guanciale if I can find some in this yuppy centered food mecca.

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Cut the weeds around our 14 blueberry bushes today. Most are Loaded with fruit this year. Thousands and thousands this time around, looks like maybe 4 times what I pulled last year and if that's the case the bushes will have paid for themselves this year.

Have fruit on the strawberry plants, grapes I put in last year look dead, my have to try again there.

Will get some pics this weekend.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Cut the weeds around our 14 blueberry bushes today. Most are Loaded with fruit this year. Thousands and thousands this time around, looks like maybe 4 times what I pulled last year and if that's the case the bushes will have paid for themselves this year.

Have fruit on the strawberry plants, grapes I put in last year look dead, my have to try again there.

Yo can get grape cuttings from the USDA site https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-area/geneva-ny/plant-genetic-resources-research/
I think these are out of NY. Last i checked they had like 1800 varieties. The USDA has these sites all over the country I think and they have loads of free stuff From fruit tree cuttings to veggie seeds. If you select a grape variety you usually get like 5 cuttings to start. One year I got about 40 of them but ended up not using them as I was busy starting fig cuttings.. They also no longer do fig cuttings out of UCdavis. They were getting so many orders they were swamped for months trying to fill them all so they discontinued that program.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
ok so to access the national germ plasm system here's a link https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/descriptors.aspx?

Once there click on descriptors... Then select whatever it is your interested in growing.. There's way more info there than I know what to do with. Maybe need to be a botanist to understand it all. For instance, just for an early garlic there are 350 different ones to choose from.

https://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/gringlobal/HTML5/Default.htm
This link gives you more info on ordering and about the grin system

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

My grapes were really late this year, but they really popped in the last 2 weeks. WHen I do the pruning in the fall I can send you some canes if yours are really dead. I have Primitivo grapes, which are closely related to Zinfandel grapes. Originally planted/rooted as canes from a vineyard in Napa County.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
If the shoots are red they are dead is a general rule. For better fig production try pinching the tip off after you see 5 leaves. You will then get 2-4 stems from that point on and each will produce figs. Last year my HC produced about 50 figs and every one of them ripened.

Pulling the rest of the figs out today and let them get rained on tonight.. See what happens in a month. The ones that survived will get moved into a prime spot by the house for maximum sun and heat. The ones that didn't make it, I will just reuse the medium and contained for all the ones I had indoors over the winter.

Thanks for he heads up on the cedar. I didn't know that and will send them down to my friends parents house instead. Saves me digging 25 holes too. LOL.
The Chinese call the fig tree "the no flower, fruit tree". Also, a friend taught me that it is near impossible to kill a fig tree. I had what I thought was a dead fig branch, he said "plant it, it will grow". I did & it did !!!

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
My dogwoods have been in bloom for 3 weeks, I am in a rain forest, in Orygun, elev. 1000.

the 125 trees arrived today. Blown away by how big they are. I was expecting 12" trees or something. The cedars are 2' tall and the others about 3'. Looks like I have to do more digging than I expected.
I think I did find a home for the cedars.At first I was hoping I could plant them far enough away from the apples but the literature says up to 2 miles the fungus can spread.
I'm sure there are some closer to me than that 2 mile rule.
But, removing the ones from within a few feet of my apple trees did help.
We still have to spray sulfur mix on the apple trees in early summer.
WOW, I never heard about this AND my big, OLD apple tree is surrounded by cedars. I am wondering if it is a particular type of apple or cedar that causes the problem. I have been here 18 years without the problem. I do get some sort of "apple rot, on about 1/3 of the apples. I think they are Winesap apples.

One of my Dogwoods
IMG_1229 (Large).JPG

My old apple tree

IMG_1232 (Large).JPG

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I never heard about this AND my big, OLD apple tree is surrounded by cedars. I am wondering if it is a particular type of apple or cedar that causes the problem.
Eastern red cedar.

Not sure about other cedars. If yours does not have those funguses like is pictured above post #281 that glockngold posted, you're probably good. Also, I have a very young Gala apple that does not seem to be as susceptible as do the other types. One early sweet apple was so bad, I had to remove it.

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Still a bit early to get into the garden...another couple of weeks there. But we did plant a couple more apple trees, another peach tree, seven blackberry plants, and four more blueberry plants today.
Also planted a short lilac hedge along the property line. They don't produce anything particularly useful, but the wife likes them, so there you go.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Frost here this morning, possible another tonight. Checked my garden, potato plants just peaking out of the ground got burned, they will come back alright. I only planted a few, to much trouble to plant and especially to dig later. We like a few fro fresh eating. Did not get cold enough to hurt any of the fruit trees, even the peaches will stand a bit of frost, as long as it does not get down to low.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
We got the cover on the cold frame a few days ago. Need to start uppotting veg seedlings to 3" pots, into the coldframe, I hold them until at least may 20 before they go in the ground, but prefer june 1. I got more onion plants in friday. The wind here had been so bad I havent ventured out much, blowing to 40 is for shit on your knees in plowed ground, planting onion plants.

The weather will settle for us. Ill nap and work in the grow rooms in the meantime, and wait for the right time. By my weather station diary we had this same setup 3 years ago. It was a good season in the end.

We have a garden club in our county which im a member of. Its quite a scene watching everyone get spring fever. To me, having been thru it in the gardens all these years, its just a waiting game. If you fight mo nature you lose, better to be patient and let her talk to you. I have talked numerous folk out of putting their big ass lowes tomatoes in the ground, they can thank me later, or not. I dont care. Some folk learn the hard way. myself included.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
A few fellers busted out a pic of their country, heres one of mine. No trees man. Ole pit gets it. Great yote and cow/calf country. We should have never plowed it. SD531213.JPG

Them trees on the right, in the tubes, are the dreaded eastern red cedar, only one of a few trees that will grow well here.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Coopersmith , one thing about living on the prairies and grasslands , no one is going to sneek up on us......
.The fecking wind.....we are not working the garden in 30-40 mph winds..chit flying everywhere..
Even the chickens have enough sense to seek shelter..m
It got up to 85 yesterday and more sun today so we got after our onions and will have a nice patch next to our garlic..
Peas today. I haven't much luck with peas but thought I'd try some , for the chickens....
Marigolds will be planted everywhere and volunteer hollyhocks are coming up everywhere...
Time to get after it..
But first coffee and a dab or two to start the day out right...

0427180800a.jpg f237d1dc597d5a5a55cb4601a60654fa.jpg 8987c863faad1e13cbaf70a0888b41ef.jpg

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Still a bit early to get into the garden...another couple of weeks there. But we did plant a couple more apple trees, another peach tree, seven blackberry plants, and four more blueberry plants today.
Also planted a short lilac hedge along the property line. They don't produce anything particularly useful, but the wife likes them, so there you go.
WHAT?????? I just cut down three 55 gallon drums full of blackberry vines. Here in Orygun, they grow wild. We have so many that I still have enough to make 25 gallons of wine - in Aug.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
We need rain in a severe way.

View attachment 102974

But the good folks south of us need rain in a bad way.

View attachment 102975 View attachment 102975

Hey there spinalcracker, old feller, I think that map is a piece of shit. I know you didnt make it yerself, er anything like that.........

I have drove up thru your country the past few weeks a couple times, and I think your drier than us. We still have wheat here, and it looks like some of it might make a crop. From what I can tell you boys got nothing but blow humps. our grass is greening up as well.

I am not bragging, its dry as fuck here, but I think you got the shit end of the stick.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Also I would add, we got a 3' snow middle of last may, it was so wet it was blue. I think that is the difference, it was a new mexico low that didnt make it up your way. When I dig a posthole, and get down 8-10 inches, I hit moisture and have to knock mud off the diggers. We still have moisture, ya just gotta mine for it.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Here in southern Ohio, all this time I thought we were to wet to work the soil. Yesterday I tilled the garden, also did one for a neighbor, I was surprised how dry it was. I had to put the plows on to bust the ground in one of them, the other we never drive on except to till it, that one tilled up nicely. The neighbor's garden should have been plowed first too, it was like trying to dig in dry clay, well, basically that is what it was, It took a couple passes to work it up. Guess I should have tilled those gardens a week ago. There are places here that still have water laying in the fields. I was out riding the bike last evening and, yes, I did see water laying in fields in the lower areas near the river.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We need rain in a severe way.

View attachment 102974

But the good folks south of us need rain in a bad way.
Boise City is the epicenter of that big drought called the Dustbowl, if I remember correctly. I'll be out in the Denver area next week and have heard they are also experiencing extremely dry weather.

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
WHAT?????? I just cut down three 55 gallon drums full of blackberry vines. Here in Orygun, they grow wild. We have so many that I still have enough to make 25 gallons of wine - in Aug.
Not here in semi-arid south central Nebraska. If I want blackberry jam and fresh blackberries on my waffles, I need to put a few plants down...

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
That blowing dirt is pretty scary. I have been out in blizzards dragging calves to the barn, and it wasnt as extreme as dirt storms. if we had as many folk as some places do per square mile, it would be a leading cause of death in 'merica. When them shits hit here is goes----------->try to go the the nearest house/shelter and wait it out. Not worth it at all.

I think youd have to experiance it to get the full effect. You cant beathe out in it. Its tough.