• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What's Your Superpower?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I once lost 13 golf balls on a Par 3. And they didn't go in the water.

Ran out. Hadda quit. Could not get a single golf ball back.

This Par 3 was a gift -- for anyone but Himself. Top of a steep hill to the green was about 150 yards. The green was about 80' lower than the tee. Should be able to throw the dang thing, right?

Trouble is that steep hill went way down lower than the green. Miss the green? You would need a heliocopter to get your golf ball back.

I missed. If you just dub it ten feet... you cannot get that damned ball back! Boundy-boundy-boundy into oblivion.

This was in Sky Valley.

Last edited:

RebelYell

Name no longer reflects my changed worldview.
Silver Miner
Reaction score
While I share some of these powers ( BS detector and strangers telling me things), my real superpower is being a natural speed reader. A 250 page novel is roughly 2.5 hours. There are exceptions. I can't read math, Patrick Henry or Ursula Le Guin. I can do well with technical manuals.
That would be Ursula K Le Guin. I see what you mean, you missed the "K" :-)

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
That would be Ursula K Le Guin. I see what you mean, you missed the "K" :-)
Trivia: Her first major sale was to Playboy. She later bitched that the sexist magazine had her OK the use of "U.K. Le Guin" byline <-- Not Ursula.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I am a fairly impatient person, hate listening to people drone on, and want them to get to point as fast as possible.
I'm right there with you. I've trained the wife to 'just give me the results', I'll fill in the blanks. I'll ask questions if I need any more details. (It keeps me from wondering "Where is this going?")

I think it comes from being 'technical'? Tech people don't need/want extraneous information cluttering up the analysis of the problem. I have the same problem with writers who use 'fluffy' words. If you've ever read newspapers from 100 years ago you'll 'see' that kind of thing.

edit to add: I don't remember names, faces yes, names no, unless I've built a relationship. Melodies I remember very well.

Sampson

Digging for nuggets of knowledge
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I can build or create anything I set my mind to. Doesn't matter if it is technical, mechanical, functional, or artistic. It can be any material, wood, metal, plastic, stone, leather, fiber, or combination.

You give me a unicorn fart and my tools and I'll build you a rocketship.

engineear

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Coming home from a gig with the guitar guy and singer. We're listening to a song on the radio coming to the end. Just as it ends the guitar guy points his finger at the radio and yells..."Stones, Sympathy for the devil" and it comes on!
I yell at him..."why did you pick THAT song?!!"

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
1635057933726.png

(just kidding)

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I can build or create anything I set my mind to. Doesn't matter if it is technical, mechanical, functional, or artistic. It can be any material, wood, metal, plastic, stone, leather, fiber, or combination.

You give me a unicorn fart and my tools and I'll build you a rocketship.
I've always admired people like that.

I wouldn't call it a superpower but I have the aptitude, tools, fixtures and machines to fix just about anything that's broken- as long as it's mechanical. People drag busted stuff over here all the time for my help. But to design and fabricate anything out of raw materials I'm more like a caveman hunched over banging rocks together.

...anything I set my mind to
That's my biggest problem. I'm too scatterbrained and don't have the patience to complete longer term projects that are outside of my more narrow vocation.

TomD

Let's Go Branden!
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I have a highly developed subconscious. No matter how intractable a work or personal problem seems, I go to bed and wake up at 2-3 AM with the solution or path in mind, fully developed.

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I have a highly developed subconscious.
And how do you feel about those people who ask a question, and think that if you don't reply quickly enough, they need to assist you with repetitive chatter?

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I have a highly developed subconscious. No matter how intractable a work or personal problem seems, I go to bed and wake up at 2-3 AM with the solution or path in mind, fully developed.
I wonder if you get download in dreams?

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I'm right there with you. I've trained the wife to 'just give me the results', I'll fill in the blanks. I'll ask questions if I need any more details. (It keeps me from wondering "Where is this going?")

I think it comes from being 'technical'? Tech people don't need/want extraneous information cluttering up the analysis of the problem. I have the same problem with writers who use 'fluffy' words. If you've ever read newspapers from 100 years ago you'll 'see' that kind of thing.

edit to add: I don't remember names, faces yes, names no, unless I've built a relationship. Melodies I remember very well.
I thought your super power was grammar :winks2:

TomD

Let's Go Branden!
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
And how do you feel about those people who ask a question, and think that if you don't reply quickly enough, they need to assist you with repetitive chatter?
I stare at them until they shut up.

wastrel

rather annoying
Reaction score
I guess mine is, I know when to leave.

My first job was with a department of the military (as a civilian). Didn't feel right, so I left; a few months later came the "peace dividend" and thousands of civilians were laid off. I would have been, too.

Next job was with a software company, stayed there quite a while. They merged with a call center operation, and I decided to move on. Soon that company no longer did software, was just a call center, and all the programmers were gone.

Next I did contracting work with a big software contracting firm. Didn't like that much, so moved to a small, up and coming contracting firm down in Texas, which offered employees stock options when/if it went public. (Big contracting firm soon closed their office in that city where I had been.)

Worked at the Texas firm for a while, then when they announced they were changing to in-house software production only, I moved on. (That contracting firm almost went bankrupt from losing most of their contracting clients before their in-house software produced any revenue; they went back to contracting and were bought out by the Chinese, so all those options became worthless.)

Did some solo short-term contracting, a few weeks here, a month or so there. Sensed the contracts were starting to dry up, so looked for a port in the storm. Took a job with a state government agency (I was the only one to apply). Two months after that was the "dot-com crash" and programmers were almost walking the street with signs saying "will code for food".

Stayed at the agency almost twenty years. When they decided to replace all of the existing systems (mostly mainframes) with all new fresh systems (mostly Microsoft servers), and brought in an outside contractor to do the transition... and weren't training existing employees on the new systems... and seemed glad when existing IT staff got the hint and anyone who could retire, did... well, time to go again. I stopped the daily struggle to get into work with my by-then-acquired disability (side-effect of cancer treatment; beats dying) and put in for a disability retirement. The HR department took the chance to get rid of yet another old male programmer, and approved it. Been gone four years now and from what I hear they still haven't gotten the new system working right.

I know when to leave. :don't know:

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a superpower, but I can read upside down or in a mirror almost as quickly as the regular way.