• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Where are the $10 bills?

Gstack

Seeker
I've been noticing lately that I've been ending up with quite a few $5 bills lately, but hardly ever see a $10 anymore? I also remember hearing not too long ago that Hamilton was going to be taken off the $10 bill and replaced, perhaps by Harriet Tubman.

Are the $10 bills being quietly taken out of circulation now?

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Jackson was going to be replaced by Tubby, Trump cancelled it, didnt hear anyting about the 10.

Gstack

Seeker
Jackson was going to be replaced by Tubby, Trump cancelled it, didnt hear anyting about the 10.
Ah! I got those mixed up.
But have you noticed far fewer $10 bills around lately? Do cashiers give you 2 $5 bills instead of a $10?

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Ah! I got those mixed up.
But have you noticed far fewer $10 bills around lately? Do cashiers give you 2 $5 bills instead of a $10?
Cant say I have, most of time i use CC to get airmiles and cashback, pay them off at end of month in full no interest charge. I only use cash in areas I feel the employees may have opportunity to steal my cc number.

Gstack

Seeker
Cant say I have, most of time i use CC to get airmiles and cashback, pay them off at end of month in full no interest charge. I only use cash in areas I feel the employees may have opportunity to steal my cc number.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been doing lately since getting a CC (actually 4 of them now).

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I've noticed this too. Gave a cashier a fifty and three ones in hopes of getting rid of some ones and ended up with a pile of fives instead. Been happening like that a lot as of late.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I don't know. I have a wad of tens in my pocket right now. All ratty but still spendable.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
All currency $10 and under should be coins. Get rid of the damn penny too!

Fjpod

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Y'all realise that using credit cards adds almost 3% to a vendors costs....which they in turn add (one way or another) to your cost. So, we're all feeding the beast...helping the money handlers get a cut from everything we buy, and all at our own expense.

Cash back cards cost vendors the most. The goal of these cards is to entice consumers to spend money Willy-nilly.

I'm not seeing a shortage of 10s.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Y'all realise that using credit cards adds almost 3% to a vendors costs....which they in turn add (one way or another) to your cost. So, we're all feeding the beast...helping the money handlers get a cut from everything we buy, and all at our own expense.

Cash back cards cost vendors the most. The goal of these cards is to entice consumers to spend money Willy-nilly.

I'm not seeing a shortage of 10s.
I try to frequent the same 'boutique' stores where the manager is handy to talk to. First I like to help small business, but I also mention that I'd rather pay cash ... if there's any discount for it. Frankly, I'm not overly arsed whether they choose to save me a couple of percent by 'manager's discount' for paying cash ... or save me the taxes by bypassing the till. But then, I like to tip salespersons for good service too.

I didn't see a gov't worker or a banker in the store stocking shelves ... why would I pay them?

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Yeah, enough of that nickle and dime shit while you're treasure hunting, eh Irons? Get to the real value; five dollar slugs and 1 dollar tokens.

BF
Yep. Damn zinc pennies sound just like high dollar Gold rings like 18k and big heavy class rings. Lots of big 10k rings have a high copper content that makes them sound like a coin.
There are a few people on my MD forum who are treasure hunters in Japan and Okinawa and they scoop up yen coins that are worth $10-$20 American each. It's not uncommon for them to scoop up $50-$80 in currency along with jewelry.

It ain't fair, man.

This is because $5 bills are becoming the standard fare given to panhandlers nowadays. $1 is too little and $10 too much, so $5 has become the norm. Just go to any fast food place and give them a $20 to pay your bill. Chances are you'll get two $5's instead of one $10 in change.

Note that $20 is also popular, but that's because $20 is the only denomination available at most ATMs. Moreover, $1 is certainly still needed to make change.

All these factors leave $10 as the odd duck.