• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Where Should I Take My Wife on Vacation Over Christmas?

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Did DC last time. We have 3 beach condos in Florida, so that's out too. I was thinking Miami, but she whined.

We can fall back to driving to NC, but I already drive 1k miles per week.

Would jump a plane for a change of scenery or a time machine for that matter.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stick with the plane. You can't afford a ride in a time machine.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Is Bezos selling rides yet?

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
You could come to western Washington and enjoy an atmospheric river! Just kidding dont come to western Washington in December....

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Stick with the plane. You can't afford a ride in a time machine.

If you go far enough back in time, you could finance your trip by exchanging a few FRNs for Bitcoin.

Why would you leave Florida?

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
pick a city and visit.......thats what we did for years.......i always enjoyed vegas on the holidays due to lower people counts and easy entertainment access.....

being a ole horn dawg you are you could give her a "around the world" tour ...LOL

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
may I suggest South Dakota? I live in MN and South Dakota looks like a paradise compared to where I live.
that doesnt say much for MN does it LOL.....i like SD but its not a destination in my opinion

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Did DC last time. We have 3 beach condos in Florida, so that's out too. I was thinking Miami, but she whined.

We can fall back to driving to NC, but I already drive 1k miles per week.

Depends on what you and she wants.

Me, I grew up in Snow Country. Now I'm old, and my feet have circulation issues, and I've had enough of wet, sloppy, slippery living for four months out of the year...but I also did a winter in Texas, two winters in San Diego, and two in the Bay Area. I really missed the changing seasons.

So, for me, Christmas, were I living in Florida, would probably focus on going someplace snowy and picturesque...with all the services you want, so you can sit by a picture window, watch it snow at nightfall, and get hammered on top-shelf whiskey.

Depending on how your wife's background stacks up, she may have other plans. I've known people from the West Texas prairie, who, when put in a forested area, are positively disconcerted. They crave the heat, the flat, the dry land, and above all, the dominant sky. I've been to the Mojave Desert - worked out of it, one year, with a contractor to the AT&SF railroad. It's strikingly beautiful, but I don't want to be there, except in short bursts.

If you do want a Currier & Ives-postcard-type Christmas...these days, your choices are limited. I'd say Lake Placid or Winter Park, Vail, or Aspen. But all those areas are controlled by crazed authoritarians, now.

itsamess

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
that doesnt say much for MN does it LOL.....i like SD but its not a destination in my opinion
Agreed Once you seen some buttes it is all the same just spread out. Nice to live there but vacationing? Rapid City, tourist trap, East river ( Sioux Falls etc ) not scenic just city life. Reservations no thanks.

Also agree with stay in FL. How about see some manatees at Homosassa Springs State park?, catch a sunset just up the road at Howard Park then great Greek food at the sponge docks of Tarpon Springs. Stay at Treasure island, rent a boat for cruising the Gulf and intercoastal waterways through John's Pass (nice gentle gulf versus Atlantic). For some culture how about Salvadore Dali's museum in St Pete. All within an hour of each other.

gnome

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Puerto Rico? Jamaica?

Camp Bassfish

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
Personally I love Arizona. Stay in Phoenix, drive to Sedona, Flagstaff, Tucson.... it's beautiful weather out there right now.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I know Ashville has gone liberal but Christmas at Biltmore Estates and a drive up to Chimney Rock NC is great this time of year.

EO 11110

UNBANNED
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
east tenn is nice, with strong demographics. probably find plenty of vibrant-free Christmas events

brosil

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
We just visited Charleston,SC for the second time and still enjoyed it. We'll go back again. I don't know what it's like at Christmas. If Poland were an option, it appears that the Poles go nuts at Christmas.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
If you go far enough back in time, you could finance your trip by exchanging a few FRNs for Bitcoin.

Why would you leave Florida?

My business has covered from Louisiana to South Carolina, but is based in Florida where I have covered every square inch like Lewis & Clark.

I would stay in FL if it were up to me, but the thread title infers the wife wants to cross state boundaries.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Agreed Once you seen some buttes it is all the same just spread out. Nice to live there but vacationing? Rapid City, tourist trap, East river ( Sioux Falls etc ) not scenic just city life. Reservations no thanks.

Also agree with stay in FL. How about see some manatees at Homosassa Springs State park?, catch a sunset just up the road at Howard Park then great Greek food at the sponge docks of Tarpon Springs. Stay at Treasure island, rent a boat for cruising the Gulf and intercoastal waterways through John's Pass (nice gentle gulf versus Atlantic). For some culture how about Salvadore Dali's museum in St Pete. All within an hour of each other.
We have manatees in our front yard. I already took her to Tarpon Spings on a gig when we first met. I been there 100s of time. Mr. Souvlaki has the best gyro platter.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Fly into Albany or Hartford. Direct flights available. Hopefully for you there would be snow cover.

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
We just visited Charleston,SC for the second time and still enjoyed it. We'll go back again. I don't know what it's like at Christmas. If Poland were an option, it appears that the Poles go nuts at Christmas.
brosil, wish i'd known you went through town, could of suggested some unusual points of interest. Charleston has a great vibe and is loads of fun at christmas. Been unusually chilly here lately, but still lots of fun things to do...

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Branson Missouri and Silver Dollar City

An old time Christmas

Camp Bassfish

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
Mirror Lake Inn in Lake Placid NY is beautiful! Albeit expensive. I live in northern NY, so my winter "escapes" usually include warmth.

Less than a 3 hour drive from Albany NY (airport) and a beautiful drive at that.

#48Fan

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
El Salvador. Ya'll can check out the new Bitcoin City.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would stay in FL if it were up to me,

IIf I lived in Florida and wanted to do something different, but not leave Florida, I'd go visit @Unca Walt and see if he'd let me shoot his cannon.
I've never shot a cannon before, have you?

brosil

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
brosil, wish i'd known you went through town, could of suggested some unusual points of interest. Charleston has a great vibe and is loads of fun at christmas. Been unusually chilly here lately, but still lots of fun things to do...
Nuts. I'll have to remember that you're there. I suspect we will be back there at some point .

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
How about Sun Valley, Idaho? Old school ski resort area, lots of nice (expensive) lodging.
Not too much snow — yet.

Used to go deer hunting in that area.
BF

itsamess

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
We have manatees in our front yard. I already took her to Tarpon Spings on a gig when we first met. I been there 100s of time. Mr. Souvlaki has the best gyro platter.
I said Greek food not gypsy food Yikes. Whats next Taco Bell for Mexican. You might as well see the world - just go to Disney.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Less than a 3 hour drive from Albany NY (airport) and a beautiful drive at that.
Be warned, though...that drive can be wild, in winter conditions.

I will never forget the one time we, my ex and I, found time to go skiing in, we hoped, Lake Placid. It was unusually warm a few days before...okay, that happens around New Year's. When we got into the Mohawk Valley region (driving in from the Cleveland area) it started raining. When we started going up, on NY 12 (the route I knew from when I was a kid) the temperature got below freezing. Roads were slick as snot, and...even with equipment and men, it takes time to get the plow trucks on the road when weather changes. At Remsen, after a close call, we turned around to overnight at a dump outside Utica.

Second day...roads were salted/sanded okay...but, sure enough, Bambi wanted to frolic on the road. Well, I was lucky - a glancing blow (it was my ex's new car, a VW Fox) but that jammed the hood shut. That HAD to be fixed. We were closer to Lowville, and that was where a VW dealer was, so that's where we went, instead, for a day.

THIRD try. We got to Lake Placid. Roads were good; snow, less so. Instead of slightly-sticky Spring Conditions on Whiteface, we found a thick ice sheen that really hadn't been able to be broken up by slope groomers. People were FALLING off the mountain, not skiing. The meat wagon was making regular circuit runs for broken limbs.

We opted to walk Lake Placid and dine in luxury that day.

We did get some skiing in, in a tiny (small volume) ski area in Tupper Lake...relatively long runs, but it wasn't Whiteface.

Okay...nuff of that. If the wife wants Victorian charm, winter ambience, and out of state...you could explore a week at Chautauqua Institution, 60 miles from Buffalo. The Institution summer-season is from June to August, but with modern conveniences behind the Victorian facades, there's a moderate year-round population. A long colorful history that dates back to 1873, with many original structures remaining standing and in use.

It's been so long since I was there (last, 2007) I couldn't guide you; but there's a realty company, Vacation Properties, that lists rentals, including short-term (week) rentals. Fly into Buffalo and rent a car. Or, there might be some flights into Jamestown - not a major airport, last time I was there. But it's certainly different from Florida.

Many successful retired people from the area, wind up retiring in Florida, coming up in the summer.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Go to vail or aspen. Beautiful in winter, the ski resorts are open. The place is full of liberals, but there is a dispensary on every corner, which makes the commies at least somewhat tolerable.

or you can come over here. We can chase coyotes down with the s-10 and shoot em with a shotgun, then eat smoked tri tip and get drunk..

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Try the West Coast of Floriduh -- Cedar Key. Check it out on Google Maps. There are some really neato things about this sooper laid-back quiet end-of-the-line place.

There is a quahog clam industry there -- a tour is informal and fun. (update edit: Tours are now on Friday only, at 1PM) Didja know clams look like little spiders running around when they are babies? You can see them under a microscope. And you can get a bag of the freshest, cleanest, most delicious clams there, cheap. HAH! I found the reference!

Lookit the pics.

Check out the reviews and prices:

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Try the West Coast of Floriduh -- Cedar Key. Check it out on Google Maps. There are some really neato things about this sooper laid-back quiet end-of-the-line place.

There is a quahog clam industry there -- a tour is informal and fun. Didja know clams look like little spiders when they are babies? You can see them under a microscope. And you can get a bag of the freshest, cleanest, most delicious clams there, cheap. HAH! I found the reference!

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Maui or Grand Cayman

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Guy I knew in college used to go to Vegas every Christmas. He had no living family and said the deals and service were great and crowds small That time of year

LarsonLarsen

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Southwest Colorado is amazing this time of year. Hard to beat Telluride/Ouray in the winter.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Guy I knew in college used to go to Vegas every Christmas. He had no living family and said the deals and service were great and crowds small That time of year
That was then.

We're in the Face-Diaper New Normal.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
That was then.

We're in the Face-Diaper New Normal.
Yep, and it sucks. Anywhere that requires one to partake in their group insanity won't be getting any $$$ from me. I don't care how "nice" the place is or how beautiful the scenery. Ain't doin' it no way no how. F' 'em!
....and I hope a lot of other people feel that way too. Only thing those people understand is the Benjamins, and/or lack thereof.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

There is a quahog clam industry there -- a tour is informal and fun. Didja know clams look like little spiders when they are babies? You can see them under a microscope. And you can get a bag of the freshest, cleanest, most delicious clams there, cheap. HAH! I found the reference!

Wife unit is allergic to shellfish. Cedar Key is nice, but our Slice of Paradise is hard to beat. We get to horseback ride on the beach or just sit on the sand and smoke a fatty.

Whereabouts are you located Walt?