• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Who's going to pick the crops?

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I worked at a dairy farm for 3 years of high school. Once I found farm work I was done washing dishes and delivering papers! Milking cows, mowing greenchop, haying and filling silo's was real work and we got paid pretty well.

The benefits of farm work are with me to this day. You get in fantastic physical condition and you learn how to drive ANYTHING with wheels. I still drive manual transmission cars and trucks whenever I can buy them that way.

Even back in the 80's farm work was too hard for many/most kids. They figured us farm worker kids were crazy.
They had already gone soft back then.

I too grew up farming. 2 acres of tobacco, 80 acres of hay and 250 acres of silage. We got paid 10 cents a bail for picking up 100lb bails and stacking them on a trailer then unloading the trailer into whomevers barn was buying it. Tobacco was worked for the privilege of living in my parents house. Silage was cut and blown into the neighbors silo to feed her herd of Charolais cattle. I worked there also. Fed cattle every morning before school. Kids nowdays are soft.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I too grew up farming. 2 acres of tobacco, 80 acres of hay and 250 acres of silage. We got paid 10 cents a bail for picking up 100lb bails and stacking them on a trailer then unloading the trailer into whomevers barn was buying it. Tobacco was worked for the privilege of living in my parents house. Silage was cut and blown into the neighbors silo to feed her herd of Charolais cattle. I worked there also. Fed cattle every morning before school. Kids nowdays are soft.
Yep. Being a dairy operation spreading shit on the hayfield was a once a week chore. I loved running the shit spreader!
I got to pick which John Deere I wanted so I always picked the 4520. Nice and comfy and smooth shifting that was a really nice tractor. I would make damn near a whole day of filling up and running over to the field.
Good times! . . . :2 thumbs up:

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
A joke sir. I do lack self-control when it comes to all kinds of humor. The more colorful the better.
If all humor was the same, nothing would be funny. Toughen up, PC's dead.
Most jokes are aimed at a minority or a majority, sexist or downright cruel.
If you think about it, the more offensive a joke is, the funnier it is.
Comedians are a sick lot !!
I have been criticized for my humour, because sometimes, like nick, I will purposely push the limits, just to piss off someone.
When you lose your sense of humour, you lose a lot !!
Fuck'em if they can't take a joke !!!!

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Most jokes are aimed at a minority or a majority, sexist or downright cruel.
If you think about it, the more offensive a joke is, the funnier it is.
Comedians are a sick lot !!
I have been criticized for my humour, because sometimes, like nick, I will purposely push the limits, just to piss off someone.
When you lose your sense of humour, you lose a lot !!
Fuck'em if they can't take a joke !!!!
Thank you, f'n asshole.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Well fuck you very much, I resemble that remark !!!!!!!!!!

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Another gem from the woodpile report, right on topic:
Berrien County is the southwestern corner of Michigan, bordering on Indiana, with a population of 89,000 in 1940, today about 155,000. Migrant workers picked fruit, cherries, strawberries and did seasonal work in packing plants. Many, perhaps most, were bankrupt farmers or displaced sharecroppers, hard workers with a wide range of competences, drastically underemployed in such work. They were eagerly recruited by expanding and newly created defense industries when war came, a little more than a year after this photo was taken.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Great photo. I like the car hood as a wind barrier.
They were eagerly recruited by expanding and newly created defense industries when war came, a little more than a year after this photo was taken.
In 1962 North American Aviation, Autonetics Division, was recruiting draftsmen from colleges to work nights, on the Minuteman Missile program. That's how I got started in drafting & design.

bb28

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I got an e-mail yesterday from the Abominable Loser Diane Feinstein including:

NEW LEGISLATION

Feinstein Introduces Bill to Shield Farmworkers from Deportation (May 3, 2017)

“Despite their significant contributions to California’s economy and communities, farmworkers are now a priority for deportation under this administration’s shameful policies. We simply must protect the families who help put food on our tables.” To read the press release, CLICK HERE.

bb

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Not so- Fein- Stein, puts a new meaning to JAP = Jewish American PUTZ !!

tom baxter

back from 2004
or, all of those on public assistance and all of their little cookie crumblers,
A work for the social security scheme makes sense I agree, but I can only imagine what government would do with such. They tried it down here some years back and the young participants just refused to play the game. They would show up for the first few days then just slack off. It encouraged a lot to transition onto a disability pension, easy to get if you know how to game the system.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Force people to work or starve or go to jail. Close the loopholes in the disability system or any other so it cannot be gamed. Time to stop the freeloaders.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Force people to work or starve or go to jail. Close the loopholes in the disability system or any other so it cannot be gamed. Time to stop the freeloaders.
Walmart ain't gonna like that.

bb28

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Not defending the freeloaders, but in a real free market system, employers are forced to pay a living wage -- i.e. if someone cannot sustain themselves on a wage without outside assistance, they will not be able to afford to work or will die trying. Paying illegals cash under the table in order to sustain low food prices is also not a solution as they inevitably get subsidized by taxpayer dollars, directly or otherwise. I think we've hashed this discussion a few times here, but farmers often cannot afford liability insurance for native workers. There has to be a way you can hire someone to pick fruit for you without having them fall, sue you and take every last penny even including your land to pay for the incident.

bb

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Don't make me plant my own food. 'Cause I will!