• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Why am I getting so many popups lately?

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Why am I getting so many popups lately? It seems like when I change topics, a new popup appears for something. Is this something new? Maybe it's an FF problem? Anyone else having this happen?

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
nope, good here,

it is going to be malware on your computer imo,

I had that at one time and had to clean the computer,

it sucked, as there was a bunch of rubbish in there from various sites

and I am really careful about what I click on, it still happened

windoz7, FF, and mcsoft security essentials

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I do notice that some words are now blue and underlined. When I hover over them, they show a popup window. Like now the word popups in the subject title is blue and underlined. I know a website that has this action and it's real annoying. You have to watch carefully where you cursor is at all times. Did vbulletin get updated recently?

I went to some other sites and the problem is only on gim2. Also when I just logged in this time now I have a green checkmark on every section asking me if I want to suscribe/rss feed to that section.

I think it's something here.

Last edited:

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
A little update for Scorpio and others.

Not sure if it was really malware or not, but the problem seems to be gone.

I loaded and ran MalwareBytes. It found 40 instances of "potentially unwanted behavior" as it called it. All were related to a game I downloaded from Google a few days ago. I uninstalled the game and let MWB quarantine everything it found. I also changed a security setting in FF to not allow page redirects. Heaven knows why that was not checked in the first place.

so far, so good.

Oh, name of the problem is called friendchecker. It's mostly an annoying ad program. It doesn't seem to cause any other problems. It chooses key words, like "register" "your account" and so on. It turns the words blue and puts a double underline under them (like a link). If you hover over the word, it shows you where you would be going if you were to click on it. No problem if you don't click.