• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Why I love it here

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Herself and I just now got back frp aw <-- That was Fuzzy, jumping up on my lap (I type around her). Where was I? Oh, yeah -- we had gone across to the pond where we toss ukky white bread to the fishies, and as we approached, of course the fishies started jumping -- totally tame/wild fish. Tilapia.

But what we were engrossed in was a huge komodo dragon Iguana sunning and stretching down a bunch of boulders not 20 feet away. They change color when they are sunbathing, and this one was exactly the color of the weathered rock. Herself could not see it. She is terrible at hunting. :don't know:

Anyway, she saw the thing move and was able to see it was over four feet long. Know what she said? Calm as could be:

"Doesn't look that big to me."

At that exact moment, as I was basking in the glory of a life-mate who was not in the least disturbed by a prehistoric monster climbing down toward her...

...I felt a nudge on my foot. I looked down to see a big ole turtle begging me for a snack from the breadbag. Nudging me with his nose, and looking up hopefully.

Herself and I both burst out with surprised laughter. I quickly tore a chunk of bread off and held it out to the turtle. He hustled over and gently took it from my fingers. Then he turned around and ran for the water to soak the bread at the edge. That was "Paint".

He passed Softie, who coming up out of the water. Softie is very tame, also. But he does not play well with others when it comes to sharing. Here's a Softie:

On the plus side, he is adorable. Pointy nose (and he spits water through it), feet like a duck, and harmless.

By the time the loaf of bread was divvied up between fish and other oddities, we had four turtles of three different species out of the water following us. We had to shoo them back in the water.

I love it here. A peacock is in view, in "full flower" as I type this. Oh. It is 75 and breezy. Puffy clouds.

Now if I can just get this giant rat cornered, maybe Fuzzy and I could get out of here.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Herself and I just now got back frp aw <-- That was Fuzzy, jumping up on my lap (I type around her). Where was I? Oh, yeah -- we had gone across to the pond where we toss ukky white bread to the fishies, and as we approached, of course the fishies started jumping -- totally tame/wild fish. Tilapia.

But what we were engrossed in was a huge komodo dragon Iguana sunning and stretching down a bunch of boulders not 20 feet away. They change color when they are sunbathing, and this one was exactly the color of the weathered rock. Herself could not see it. She is terrible at hunting. :don't know:

Anyway, she saw the thing move and was able to see it was over four feet long. Know what she said? Calm as could be:

At that exact moment, as I was basking in the glory of a life-mate who was not in the least disturbed by a prehistoric monster climbing down toward her...

...I felt a nudge on my foot. I looked down to see a big ole turtle begging me for a snack from the breadbag. Nudging me with his nose, and looking up hopefully.

Herself and I both burst out with surprised laughter. I quickly tore a chunk of bread off and held it out to the turtle. He hustled over and gently took it from my fingers. Then he turned around and ran for the water to soak the bread at the edge. That was "Paint".

He passed Softie, who coming up out of the water. Softie is very tame, also. But he does not play well with others when it comes to sharing. Here's a Softie:

On the plus side, he is adorable. Pointy nose (and he spits water through it), feet like a duck, and harmless.

By the time the loaf of bread was divvied up between fish and other oddities, we had four turtles of three different species out of the water following us. We had to shoo them back in the water.

I love it here. A peacock is in view, in "full flower" as I type this. Oh. It is 75 and breezy. Puffy clouds.

Now if I can just get this giant rat cornered, maybe Fuzzy and I could get out of here.
Nice Casio!

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
The locals would kill for that much turtle soup, I've never had it though I'm tempted to try.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've never had gator tail. Any place around that sells that?
There's a place around here. Rue Orleans or something like that. Was chewy and rather bland. Not sure about your neck of the woods.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
There's a place around here. Rue Orleans or something like that. Was chewy and rather bland. Not sure about your neck of the woods.
coonasses i used to work with say that snapping turtle makes a 'good gravy'

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame

Are Iguana’s native to Florida, or are they lost pets, that just grew up big? There’s a guy on YouTube, called Kennan. He has a couple of big Iguana’s that hang out around his homestead. Kennan is big time into reptiles: turtles of all kinds, lizards, snakes, whatever.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
We're too far north for gator. When I spent some time in FL, there was a joint in town called the Gator Grille. Never made it in to try a burger.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Lots of exotic meat places carry gator, frog legs are OK too.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
We're too far north for gator. When I spent some time in FL, there was a joint in town called the Gator Grille. Never made it in to try a burger.
Your not missing anything.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The Healthy Buffalo in Chichester, NH sells frozen alligator meats, not sure about tail, but I have seen alligator meat there before. If I remember correctly you are in MA so there may be some place closer to you......

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
The locals would kill for that much turtle soup, I've never had it though I'm tempted to try.
Never been hungry enough to eat a turtle. Ate bear a few times though and holy crap do they taste nasty. Yuck!
Thank God I never shot one and had to eat the whole thing!

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I've had it a couple of times, back in the 1960's. As I recall there are about 5 or 6 different meat flavors & textures. It is good.

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
when an animal comes to you and seems to 'feel' the same thing as you 'feel', try calling out the name of a dead relative, friend, etc...

we're not all dis-joined and we all don't end up as animals...

there's much worse

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Ate bear a few times ...and holy crap do they taste nasty
I agree.
Dad shot a bear once for part of our winter meat.
Looked like a man layin there all skinned out — funny.
But it did taste ugly. Fat being the worst.

BF

brosil

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Snapping turtle has 5 types of meat in it and when properly prepared, is delicious. The wife makes a great soup, peppery and a bit of sherry.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hell ya!

You can almost certainly have some frozen gator meat shipped to your front door. A lotsa people don't know that the very best meat on a gator is just like on a moo or an oink: the backstrap.

I fargin LOVE gator meat. A mix of lobster, crab, chicken. Go here to try some (use my recipe below):

http://www.lacrawfish.com/Alligator-Tenderloin-2-lb-P1198.aspx Phone: 888.522.7292

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Never been hungry enough to eat a turtle. Ate bear a few times though and holy crap do they taste nasty. Yuck!
I tasted bear meat ONCE. Almost threw up. It is simply not edible. The liver is so full of iron, you can get sick from an overload. Polar bear liver is outright poisonous and will fargin kill you. Concentrated vitamin A. LATE EDIT ADD: Same-o with shark liver.

Gator is best when cut into bites, dipped in flour, then eggs/milk/bit of lemon juice mixture, then coated in Panko (crunchy breadcrumbs), and fried. Fargin gobble-delicious. Kids LOVE it. Eat it by the pound.

If you have tried gator and found it... Meh... That means the chef woulda furgled up soft-shell crab or fried shrimp, too. :chef:

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Are Iguana’s native to Florida, or are they lost pets, that just grew up big? There’s a guy on YouTube, called Kennan. He has a couple of big Iguana’s that hang out around his homestead. Kennan is big time into reptiles: turtles of all kinds, lizards, snakes, whatever.
No. They are a really BAD invasive species. Floriduh has passed a new law: You can kill all the Iguana's on your property as long as the method is "merciful". They are a total PITA because they dig into canal walls, sea walls, undermine houses, eat ALL your vegetables and shrubbery, and generally reproduce by the fargin gazillions.

They have a nasty bite. They grow to more than six feet long.

This is nowhere near the largest around. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I happened upon an iguana crossing San Marco rd, looked at first like a small gator, I drove around it. At least 3ft long and a nasty disposition.

Escapes and released pets, not native to Florida. Marco Island police said to kill then however made the least noise.

They kill all of the native things and shit a small mountain

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member

Bear is fun to wear and screw on. Terrible to eat. Never, ever again!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
If you drive down some roads in housing areas here in Floriduh, you can find a dozen or more in a two hundred foot stretch. They are everywhere down here.

There is not a one on the Sneakydicker Propitty.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
If you drive down some roads in housing areas here in Floriduh, you can find a dozen or more in a two hundred foot stretch. They are everywhere down here.

You've got a beautiful habitat. Glad you're enjoying the wild. Florida wild seems much wilder then Western Mass wild.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Did I mention we have tame bunny rabbits and racketycoons, too? They come out in late afternoon around dusk for nummies (black oil seeds and corn).

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
... They grow to more than six feet long.

Six feet! Imagining half of that is tail, but still that leaves three feet of lizard. I like lizards, but not lizards with a mean disposition.

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Hell ya!

You can almost certainly have some frozen gator meat shipped to your front door. A lotsa people don't know that the very best meat on a gator is just like on a moo or an oink: the backstrap.

I fargin LOVE gator meat. A mix of lobster, crab, chicken. Go here to try some (use my recipe below):

http://www.lacrawfish.com/Alligator-Tenderloin-2-lb-P1198.aspx Phone: 888.522.7292
Checked out lacrawfish. Looks like they sell a boatload of crawfish.
Just about sold out.
I never had crawfish but I did have gator at Stumpkockers in florida.
I liked it. All you can eat catfish was the best.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Crawfish are gobble-food. That means, like peanuts or potato chips... ya tend to gorge on them.

Here is how you eat them: Pick up the red beastie, pull off the tail, throw away the front. Squeeze the back of the tail, and the meat pops out the open end.

Delicious. Do it again.

When you are driving along in Loosiana, you will see stands selling bagfuls of them (hot and cold-- both ways are yummy) -- just like you see hot boiled peanut sellers.

the_shootist

Don't hate me because I'm right!
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Six feet! Imagining half of that is tail, but still that leaves three feet of lizard. I like lizards, but not lizards with a mean disposition.
No. They are a really BAD invasive species. Floriduh has passed a new law: You can kill all the Iguana's on your property as long as the method is "merciful". They are a total PITA because they dig into canal walls, sea walls, undermine houses, eat ALL your vegetables and shrubbery, and generally reproduce by the fargin gazillions.

That reminds me of my ex wife, The Dragon Lady

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

That would give me something fun to do with my almost ridiculous oversupply of 22 LR ammo!

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Seeings how we be talking about the developed swamp, when I was down on Mark Up Island last fall, there are a few lots that aren't developed. My youngest daughter and I walked around the block with my sis's son who is also my godson. I commented on how there were small wooden crosses on many of the open spaces. I was informed by my nephew that they were owl dens. Sure enough, on closer examination I saw some owllets in the sand next to the crosses.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Makes me wonder if they are edible; if so, that will be the food dujour when Bernie takes over and everything goes to crap.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
That would give me something fun to do with my almost ridiculous oversupply of 22 LR ammo!
You too, huh? Last I counted, I had about 16K rounds of 22LR. Since then, I’ve shot a couple hundred and bought 500 rounds of Remington Vipers, just because Midway had them. Now, 22 Plinkster has his own label of CCI 22’s called Stangers*. I’ll be sure to buy a brick, just because.

*Stangers: If you haven’t seen Plinkster yet, check him out on YouTube. He has a uniquely subtle accent.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Makes me wonder if they are edible; if so, that will be the food dujour when Bernie takes over and everything goes to crap.
Hey. Don't wait for Bernie. Iguanas are most ricky-tick good to eat right now. They make great tacos. TINS.

Just look up "Iguana Recipes".