• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Why I love it here

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Seeings how we be talking about the developed swamp, when I was down on Mark Up Island last fall, there are a few lots that aren't developed. My youngest daughter and I walked around the block with my sis's son who is also my godson. I commented on how there were small wooden crosses on many of the open spaces. I was informed by my nephew that they were owl dens. Sure enough, on closer examination I saw some owllets in the sand next to the crosses.
You can buy the lot but you can't build on it is what I was told

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
You too, huh? Last I counted, I had about 16K rounds of 22LR. Since then, I’ve shot a couple hundred and bought 500 rounds of Remington Vipers, just because Midway had them. Now, 22 Plinkster has his own label of CCI 22’s called Stangers*. I’ll be sure to buy a brick, just because.

*Stangers: If you haven’t seen Plinkster yet, check him out on YouTube. He has a uniquely subtle accent.
I really have no clue how much .22 ammo I have. I reluctantly admit that I am not "neatly-driven". So there is a blue tub with... ammo. All fargin kinds. And those buckets with 1K rounds each (one is by my foot on the floor as I type). And in drawers and boxes...

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
It's impossible to have too much ammo. Especially .22

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
It's impossible to have too much ammo. Especially .22
Since we think so much alike, you probably have thought of this already... but for others to ponder:

What will you use for a medium of exchange that is recognizable anywhere?

How about .22 ammo? <-- One round could mean nailing a hog for dinner for two or three people. So what's it worth to them?

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Since we think so much alike, you probably have thought of this already... but for others to ponder:

What will you use for a medium of exchange that is recognizable anywhere?

How about .22 ammo? <-- One round could mean nailing a hog for dinner for two or three people. So what's it worth to them?
Long as you be sure you trade it to somebody who won’t send it back to you at high speed. I used to work with this guy, Shawn. He was a good guy, we were on friendly terms, anyway. Had a few beers together. Anyway, we were talking one day and I mentioned to him I was stocking up on ammo. He says to me, “I only need one round.” I said huh!? He says, “One round. I shoot you and take all your ammo and other stuff.” He grinned when he said it, but still, it was unsettling. I looked back at him and said, not if I see you coming first.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
.22 is the be all and end all for food gathering equipement

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Where I grew up, we ate most anything that didn't crawl off the table fast enough. Turtle is delicious and so are many other critters, if'n you know how to cook it properly. Groundhog, beaver, crawfish, turtles, fish, raccoons, wild geese, turkeys, rabbits, quail, pheasant, deer, etc. It's a long list. I grew up out in the sticks. I feel right at home in the middle of nowhere.

I've tried alligator. Liked it. I've heard the same description from many other folks concerning bears. That's enough testimony for me to avoid it.

Don't try opossum unless you're starving. You can cook it for days and it doesn't run out of grease AND it doesn't have the best taste.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That guy has more balls than a bowling alley. Up to now, I thought I was at least a little bit hairy, since I useta do that hand trick with rattlers.

But the Turtle Man is a fargin quantum leap of Alpha, no error. :godfather

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
He’s got a lot of nerve just wading around in all that mud.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
He’s got a lot of nerve just wading around in all that mud.
Useta do that a LOT. At night. Frog-gigging.

Quick story: There was a huge "keg-o-rum" bullfrog out near the middle of this pond-scum covered stock tank. My bud kept him lighted, while I eased into the mucky crud with the gig. I get about thirty feet out and am up to my chest... almost in range of the bullfrog.

My bud shifts the light over to my right. There, ON the top of the yuck, is a huge cottonmouth heading my way!
My bud shifts the light back onto the frog.

ME (wide-eyed): "WTF are you doing!!?? Light up that cottonmouth, he is close!"

MY BUD: "You have time to get the frog -- if you hurry."

So I got the friggin' frog, and spun away from the direction the snake was coming. Cocksucker got within a foot while I was pushing water and muck and pond-scum as fast as I could, while my bud gave a running commentary about how I was clear and could slow down, since it was at least five feet back.

So I slowed down, and took one more step toward shore. And stepped on a huge snapping turtle!

The very earth moved under me as this monster left the area, and I staggered back toward that goddamn' snake.

Jeez.

When I got out, I told my bud that the gods have sent messages that this is NOT the night for Waltie to go frog-gigging.

We went home.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Yeah, those cotton mouth's can get big if they live long enough. My brother and I used to catch them. Our Mom didn't care for it at all. :mad:

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Useta do that a LOT. At night. Frog-gigging.

Quick story: There was a huge "keg-o-rum" bullfrog out near the middle of this pond-scum covered stock tank. My bud kept him lighted, while I eased into the mucky crud with the gig. I get about thirty feet out and am up to my chest... almost in range of the bullfrog.

My bud shifts the light over to my right. There, ON the top of the yuck, is a huge cottonmouth heading my way!
My bud shifts the light back onto the frog.

ME (wide-eyed): "WTF are you doing!!?? Light up that cottonmouth, he is close!"

MY BUD: "You have time to get the frog -- if you hurry."

So I got the friggin' frog, and spun away from the direction the snake was coming. Cocksucker got within a foot while I was pushing water and muck and pond-scum as fast as I could, while my bud gave a running commentary about how I was clear and could slow down, since it was at least five feet back.

So I slowed down, and took one more step toward shore. And stepped on a huge snapping turtle!

The very earth moved under me as this monster left the area, and I staggered back toward that goddamn' snake.

Jeez.

When I got out, I told my bud that the gods have sent messages that this is NOT the night for Waltie to go frog-gigging.

We went home.
Yeah, those cotton mouth's can get big if they live long enough. My brother and I used to catch them. Our Mom didn't care for it at all. :mad:
Both you guys have more nerve than I do. I’m not really afraid of snakes, in general, but vipers? Yikes!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Where's that pic of me holding the live cottonmouth that I had stepped on in my tent-blind?

AHA --

cotton.jpg

I post the above mostly to publicly refute the supposed Internet site experts on these snakey-poos. Just look up what they say about length (2-4 ft). Meh. The one I am holding measured 5 feet 1 inch. So there.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Where's that pic of me holding the live cottonmouth that I had stepped on in my tent-blind?

AHA --

View attachment 154817

I post the above mostly to publicly refute the supposed Internet site experts on these snakey-poos. Just look up what they say about length (2-4 ft). Meh. The one I am holding measured 5 feet 1 inch. So there.
Holy crap, Walt! You stepped on that nasty old boy? Did you get bit?

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
That's a nice looking reptile.

When we would catch them, we would use something to distract them and then either grab them behind their heads or cut them off.

I remember walking up close to a copperhead when I was out fishing one day. It was trying to shed its skin. It was coiled up in a rather large pile. I'm glad I saw it in time. When they can't see too well they strike at anything.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Of course Walt was bit.......what do you think killed the snake????????

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Nope. I quick grabbed down at it (I was seated) and got lucky. He was still writhing in that pic.

It was the thing that got me my nickname in the hunt club: Snakebait. Nobody would go in the woods anywhere near me.

HAH!!! I DID get bit by a big ass rattlesnake that I had to peel off me and whack against a tree. Here's some old pics I just found from my old computator... The buzzer got his fangs in my blue jeans and was pumpin' away. If you lookit the quarter that would fit easily between the fangs, you can get a feel for his size:

bite.jpg
glock1.jpg

Speaking of snakes... whilst I was Over There, I took a couple of photos (that I also just found) of Chinese street food.

The snakes are all venomous. There are Kraits, Cobras, Yada. The ones hanging on the wall to the left of the pic have already been skinned alive and are writhing in agony.

The person behind the counter is pulling the skin off a cobra.

Here's what you are looking at... A vein runs the length of the snake. They pull off the skin, and cut the vein. That gives you your first six ounces. Then, they cut the gut of the snake open, and catch the bile (bright green in the shotglass). Then they milk the head of the snake for all its venom.

Snake street.JPG
SKINSNAK.JPG

Ooooh-kay. So what do these creatures from another planet do this for? Well, here comes somebody who plunks down cash. Picks up the bile shotglass and knocks it back (you ought to see the resulting expression).

His chaser is the glassful of venous blood. Now here comes the 1/2 oz of cobra venom. TINS.

The chaser for that comes with a PILL they put on the plate. Antivenin?

I tellya, chillun... the shit I've seen...

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Now dance with a 2 step!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Now dance with a 2 step!
(*snork*) Well I do have an old VCR video of a coral snake just chewing on my shoe while I recited, "red touches black, friend to Jack. Red touches yellow, kill the fellow."

So I stomped it.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
So maybe you earned that old nick name of yours, Snake Bait.
:gracious:

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I got mad respect for you snake fellers. I have finally gotten to the point in my life where I can deal with non poisonous snakes, from a distance anyway.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I got mad respect for you snake fellers. I have finally gotten to the point in my life where I can deal with non poisonous snakes, from a distance anyway.
Well, CG, I don't seek them out. They have always come to me. One time in north Floriduh (where the largest rattlers in the whole fargin world can be found), I was laying flat on the pine needle-covered ground in my short pants in the hot sunshine. Hawg huntin'. Lookin' out over a field from ground level to where they hung out.

Heard a branch crack right next to me. I turned slowly, not wanting to scare the hog away, and was staring face-to-face with a HUGE buzzer. While laying down. Jeez.

So I rolled s-l-o-w-l-y over, trying to get a tad of distance. No joy. It followed. He was easily in striking range and was really aggressive. The only thing I could do was take my baseball cap and smack him in the face with it.

That gave me a chance to get to my feet, but I had to protect my bare leg using my hat when he struck. Damn near had me.

That one I shot with a punkin ball from my 12ga. His head was bigger than my fist. Did NOT get a hog.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Well, CG, I don't seek them out. They have always come to me. One time in north Floriduh (where the largest rattlers in the whole fargin world can be found), I was laying flat on the pine needle-covered ground in my short pants in the hot sunshine. Hawg huntin'. Lookin' out over a field from ground level to where they hung out.

Heard a branch crack right next to me. I turned slowly, not wanting to scare the hog away, and was staring face-to-face with a HUGE buzzer. While laying down. Jeez.

So I rolled s-l-o-w-l-y over, trying to get a tad of distance. No joy. It followed. He was easily in striking range and was really aggressive. The only thing I could do was take my baseball cap and smack him in the face with it.

That gave me a chance to get to my feet, but I had to protect my bare leg using my hat when he struck. Damn near had me.

That one I shot with a punkin ball from my 12ga. His head was bigger than my fist. Did NOT get a hog.

I grew up in Florida and as a young boy used to go tromping through the pine woods. I've come across a couple snakes in my life as a boy - a few water snakes, a few green grass snakes, some black racers/indigos/kings, a couple of water mocassins, but I never ran across a rattler (and there are several species here in FL).

I know they were out there, but I never got a close encounter with one. I'm either lucky or they aren't as widespread as I thought. Ok...I'm just lucky.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Most buzzers I have run into (or have sought me out) happened in North Floriduh. The pine woods near the Jawjuh border above Jacksonville are where they are mostly found.

I found this old pic from that batch of photos from my old 'puter.

Lookit how fargin LONG the fangs are. 2x longer than the blade is wide.

Looks like a fargin pitchfork:

15foot3.jpg

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Florida is snake central, every house in Florida has at least one snake

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Most buzzers I have run into (or have sought me out) happened in North Floriduh. The pine woods near the Jawjuh border above Jacksonville are where they are mostly found.

I found this old pic from that batch of photos from my old 'puter.

Lookit how fargin LONG the fangs are. 2x longer than the blade is wide.

Looks like a fargin pitchfork:

View attachment 154888
I grew up in Jacksonville - on the west side...still never saw a rattler in the wild. Weird.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

remind me never go camping with you. :).

I visited an aunt in NC once.. They used to have a horse farm in north Fl. On her TV they had a rattler that was huge. They had it mounted. I never knew they could get that big.

Lauisiana was another place for lots of creepy shit. Only place i ever saw a copperhead in the wild. Then another time coming back to base there was a snake stretched across the road in the middle of the night. Extra wide roads on base for the tanks and track vehicles and this thing hung over both sides of the road. I was lead vehicle so probably the only one to see it but it was massive.
I'l stay in my colder relatively snake free climates :)

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
remind me never go camping with you. :).

I visited an aunt in NC once.. They used to have a horse farm in north Fl. On her TV they had a rattler that was huge. They had it mounted. I never knew they could get that big.

Lauisiana was another place for lots of creepy shit. Only place i ever saw a copperhead in the wild. Then another time coming back to base there was a snake stretched across the road in the middle of the night. Extra wide roads on base for the tanks and track vehicles and this thing hung over both sides of the road. I was lead vehicle so probably the only one to see it but it was massive.
I'l stay in my colder relatively snake free climates :)
If you would get bit by a copperhead that big, you would be toast. Imagine how much venom a thing like that would have. Or Walt’s “buzzer.” I’ve heard, though, that even a baby copperhead has enough venom to really mess you up.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Riding my motorcycle on a ramp from US-27 to I-595, but needed to stop suddenly for a large rattler stretched across my lane sunning itself. Was yuuuuge.

Also seen coral snakes, copperheads and just for fun was cable skiing with multiple water moccasins in Deerfield Beach.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
The Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake is the largest viper in North America, with a potential size of up to about eight feet, with fangs potentially measuring up to 1” in length and a maximum of 850-1,000 mg of venom per bite, with 100-150 mg being potentially lethal to a human adult. Attached photo is of a Western Diamondback. Look at that head!

CECF1FF2-F4EF-4069-948E-B13868D3671E.jpeg

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Even on my best day way back when...

...I would never get within 20 feet of that behemoth: If I clipped him behind the head with my Swiss Army Knife, it'd be just like shooting Mongo in "Blazing Saddles" -- it'd just piss him off.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake is the largest viper in North America, with a potential size of up to about eight feet, with fangs potentially measuring up to 1” in length and a maximum of 850-1,000 mg of venom per bite, with 100-150 mg being potentially lethal to a human adult. Attached photo is of a Western Diamondback. Look at that head!

View attachment 154889
Fork me. There is 0 reason for those to exist in nature.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Fargin thing liked to go on down to the lake with a dead woodchuck, lay it down by the water's edge, and wait for a big gator to come and get it.

Lunch.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
The coolest looking snake I have ever seen was when I went fishing with my oldest nephew in a small town in Western Kentucky (Dawson Springs). We went fishing at a spillway on the Tradewater River, not much bigger than a creek. Sometimes, you can get some nice pan-size catfish there. At the spillway there's an old pit where a water wheel once resided. In that pit was a nest of copperheads. Fishing on top of the spillway where we were they were no threat unless we fell in.

We saw an albino copperhead. White, grey, and black with red eyes. It had the same pattern as all the other snakes in the pit, just in the aforementioned colors. I wish we had a camera then. We found out later we could have made some real money with that snake if we had captured it. Turns out there was a local snake collector who would have paid a good price for it. If we had known that, we would've brought that thing up out of the bundle of snakes that was there.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Fork me. There is 0 reason for those to exist in nature.
Exactly. I have often thought, regarding some snakes and spiders, that there is no understandable reason for them to have as much venom as they do. What possible use could they have for enough venom to kill ten creatures way bigger than they can swallow?