• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Windows 10 forcibly installing it's self

Fanakapan

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I think what they are doing longer term is going for the annual fee of everyone to use it,

For a small :0) fee of $40 to $75 per year, you get the ability to use your computer.

It is my opinion that is what this whole thingy of 10 is about
I seem to remember talk of them wanting to use that business model a few years back when that prick Balmer was running the show.

I'd have to think that they've shelved that idea for the time being, and that the real reason for pushing 10 is that 7 is ridiculously easy to run as a Pirate version with 'Widows Loader'. Its significant that even pirate copies of 7 get updated every Tuesday, and qualify for the free upgrade to 10 Basic. It must be the case that their income stream from 7 is way less than expected ?

Some hope of purging 7 though, with the uptake by business, and support for the next decade, 7 will be around for a long time yet :)

latemetal

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I went Chrome, seems to work fine. Does anyone have experience with Firefox?

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Since getting an Ipad, I don't use my Windows box for much except doing some occasional vector graphic work in an old work program. It still has XP on it so no problems with it wanting to upgrade to 10, and I am perfectly happy with it that way. I doubt I will ever buy another Windows machine, in fact I am looking into getting a Mac machine or laptop with emulators to run the few PC programs I use.

Latemetal, Firefox is fine, much preferable to IE.

R.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member

Gennie

This is exactly what happened to my husband's computer last week, the computer decided to...by itself...update to Windows 10. He was IRATE!! Boggles my mind how it can just do it on its own, I have a Mac now and haven't used Windows for years but something like that concerns me. If it can update itself to Windows 10, what else can it do on its own?

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I have had two ISSR Shiloh Shepherds - best dogs in the world. http://www.shilohshepherdclub.com/ That is Sophie - she got cancer (lymphoma) last fall. Tried chemo but it only worked while she was taking it. I had to put her down a couple weeks ago.

Here is a picture of Sophie and her aunt, Moriah (right).

Attachments

Gennie

I have had two ISSR Shiloh Shepherds - best dogs in the world. http://www.shilohshepherdclub.com/ That is Sophie - she got cancer (lymphoma) last fall. Tried chemo but it only worked while she was taking it. I had to put her down a couple weeks ago.

Here is a picture of Sophie and her aunt, Moriah (right).
They are both beautiful! I'm sorry to hear about Sophie :( How old was she? Do you also own her aunt? I used to know Tina Barber, before she passed. Many of her original foundation dogs for the Shiloh Shepherds are in my dogs, though mine are all German Shepherds. They are somewhat similar to Shilohs as they are also larger and straight-backed but never had the other outcrosses Tina did like Samson Woo who was part Alaskan Malamute.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Sorry - taking it to PM....

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Thanks. She was a great dog - missing her a lot.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Dogs live just long enough to thoroughly insinuate themselves into our hearts, and then they are gone. I've said goodbye to four wonderful dogs as an adult, and more if you include my childhood. It is always a devastating loss. My heartfelt condolences to everyone who has lost a canine buddy.

Now, as for Windows 10, that annoying pop-up prompt urging me to upgrade has been lurking for a year or so. But never has it attempted to force itself upon me. Is that a new wrinkle that I'll have to confront?

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Sorry, didn't want to try to change the direction of the thread...doing PM now :)
It shouldn't really be a problem, thread had already been dead for ten days before you mentioned anything about dogs. lol
...and sorry to hear about your dog, birddog.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
It shouldn't really be a problem, thread had already been dead for ten days before you mentioned anything about dogs. lol
...and sorry to hear about your dog, birddog.
I was just joking Gennie, thread drift isn't a bad thing when it's a thread about freaking Windows

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Yah the update tried to sneak on mine, I disabled the update menu and erased the scheduled update in the windows file, I find it concerning they are trying to force this on people.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Read the comments if you want a laugh. People hate gates as much as ryan and hitlery!

Microsoft Sued for $10,000 After Windows 10 Auto Update Renders Woman’s PC Unusable

UPI

by CHARLIE NASH27 Jun 2016206

has successfully sued Microsoft after Windows 10 auto-installed on her computer without permission and rendered the machine unusable.[/paste:font]
“I had never heard of Windows 10,” said Teri Goldstein, whose computer was left unusable after the upgrade failed. “Nobody ever asked me if I wanted to update.”

Goldstein won $10,000 in court from Microsoft after attempts by customer support to fix the issue failed, and the debacle has most likely given those opposed to the aggressive upgrade campaign a satisfied grin.

Since its debut to the public last year, everyone with a Windows 7 or 8 operating system will have noticed that Microsoft really wants you to upgrade to Windows 10. Though it’s a free update, Microsoft haven’t reached the number of users that they want to boast on the new system and have progressively made their upgrade notifications more aggressive.

Numerous times a day users will receive pop up notifications on their computers prompting them to upgrade to Windows 10. There are usually two options: Upgrade Now or Upgrade Later. Most users previously didn’t realize that you could click the little red X in the corner to say no altogether, causing many people to sign up unwillingly, though this solution has also been reportedly patched. Clicking the X button now schedules the upgrade for you, leaving people with little option to disregard the update and confusing users who are now double-guessing every button.

“They tell you it’s optional, that you have to opt in, but they just do it anyway,” claimed reluctant Windows 10 user and HR assistant Jane Dunkin to the Seattle Times. “I’ve been using Windows forever… and when I can’t find what I need to get done what I need to do, there’s a problem with it.”

“My worry with this is that they are fundamentally manipulating the trust Windows consumers will have in Windows Update from this point going forward,” said analyst Wes Miller, who claims that the aggressive update pushes are also a security hazard due to the amount of people turning off all of their updates to avoid Windows 10. “You can’t perform an action for a user without their explicit permission, it’s just not acceptable.”

Charlie Nash is a reporter for Breitbart Tech and former editor of the Squid Magazine. You can follow him on Twitter @MrNashington or like his page at Facebook.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/...ows-10-auto-update-renders-ladys-pc-unusable/

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Professur, in a related article, they listed the "minutes tracking" they are doing via windows 10. Fortunately, I don't use any of those features.

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Windows 10 downloaded on my computer when I turned it off. I didn't know
until I turned it on. I couldn't remember why I didn't want nr. 10 to download
so I told myself...oh well, WTF anyway.

For the dog part: As Merlin said above.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
7 works fine, 8 and 8.1 is a pathetic joke. I really doubt 10 is any better.
10 is fine, I've had no issues with an upgrade of what is a very complex setup by norms... typically I have to rebuild which is why I didn't do 8 etc, gettin lazy in my old age. 10 is probably faster than 7 on the same hardware, I haven't noticed any speed issues at all on what are now ageing systems.

Windows probably allows at little too much freedom for the average numpty. It is not hard to screw things up but in comparison iOS/OSX/macOS is a prison, sure it is probably (?) more reliable but if you are a serious power user it sucks. Mac heads exploding right now... but IIWII. Macs are good if you want to do everything their way... which I never do.

They are both corporate driven efforts with all the crap that comes with it.

If you want independent then Linux is the way to go, but it has its limits as well... and you need to become a proper geek to get freaky with it.

I like Linux but software limitations keep me most of my machines in the Windows world. Never had a security issue but I do manage my machines tightly.

I run more Android devices these days... its OK once rooted and tamed.

Last edited:

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
UBUNTU no problem
I reckon 90%+ of people would be fine with Ubuntu or some derivative of it. At least it would stop the Windows bitch fest and its mostly free, well most of the stuff the average user could want.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Any new thoughts on Windows 10 upgrades for old machines?

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I like the CD/DVD part of my laptop and MS has figured out how to screw with it in Windows 7, so upgrade I must.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I use lose10 at work. It sucks. As always, MS moves stuff around and changes simple things such as saving files to a two step operation. I hate it! when the time comes I will almost certainly go to Linux.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I'm back to Windows after a long stint with Linux, I just wish Linux was better supported and more evolved. Surprisingly I found the networking sucked... I could not get stable reliable file transfers without going to a third party app.

Keep an eye out for this...

https://www.reactos.org/

... hitting the market.

Hopefully they do a good job!

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I'd say dual boot Linux for a while and see what you think, it is OK for MOST users... Linix Mint is a good install that has most drivers etc and will work out of the box.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Any new thoughts on Windows 10 upgrades for old machines?
It’s a memory hog. You’ll need processor power to get a good user experience, unless you like waiting?

I suggest an i5 processor, 248G SSD for the OS and a 1TB hd for files, w 16G ram. Keep the box? Probably need a new mobo for the i5?

It runs pretty quick for what I need.

I also added a small program called “classic shell” which keeps the old start program somewhat intact. The problem with 10 is history. If you don’t have any prior experience with how it used to work you won’t know what you can do behind the scenes.