• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Wire transfer "purpose"

RebelYell

Name no longer reflects my changed worldview.
Seeker
This is interesting.

Last time I bought PMs long-distance, I paid by personal check.

The sales company was okay with that. They'd write up the sale on the day of the order, but hold shipment until the check cleared.

Kitco, it was. Last order I did through them was 11 years ago...maybe they've changed. But you might look into that method of payment.

There's no justification for the expense in wiring money. Several times, in the past ten years, I had a need to move money...but that was just unfathomably expensive. I actually drove 200 miles with cash, rather than wire money...
Get a better bank. Some still charge a lot but many don't. Mine charges $0 for an ACH payment, and $15 for a wire transfer. Definitely better than a 200 mile drive.

RebelYell

Seeker
Get a better bank. Some still charge a lot but many don't. Mine charges $0 for an ACH payment, and $15 for a wire transfer. Definitely better than a 200 mile drive.
Oh - and if you ever need to change currency do it through a brokerage account (I use interactive brokers) not your bank.

RebelYell

Seeker
"Financial investment."

I haven't wired any money in years, for any purpose. Banks can go f**k themselves for the $30 or more they charge for a wire.

ACH is free or a couple of bucks.

Zelle is free, but I think it only works person to person.

Or I use a cash rebate credit card that just about covers any surcharge from the seller.
I used zelle for a while - and then one day my payment disappeared. The money eventually showed up again a couple of weeks later - but in between it was pretty clear that nobody was taking responsibility for the loss. Zelle claimed it was the receiving bank's responsibility - my bank said it was zelle's responsibility and the receiving bank said they'd never received anything so it certainly wasn't their responsibility.

I'm never using zelle - or anything similar - again.

This is interesting.

Last time I bought PMs long-distance, I paid by personal check.

The sales company was okay with that. They'd write up the sale on the day of the order, but hold shipment until the check cleared.

Kitco, it was. Last order I did through them was 11 years ago...maybe they've changed. But you might look into that method of payment.

There's no justification for the expense in wiring money. Several times, in the past ten years, I had a need to move money...but that was just unfathomably expensive. I actually drove 200 miles with cash, rather than wire money...
Banks are the worst criminals on planet earth …..

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Done.

The purpose of that trip was to close the accounts and pay off the car note there. The bank was Chase; I was a legacy customer. I banked with Bank One in Ohio, which got bought up by Chase.

They had been pretty good, with free checking for veterans...but they don't have a Montana presence, and then they went Woke with a forbiddance on PMs and cash in their safe-deposit boxes. Other conservative-unfriendly, We-Hate-Trump policies and hints.

So they're history. My credit union, locally, also charges heavy for wire services...but probably that's because they have to pay a commercial bank to handle it.

ZZZZZ

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I used zelle for a while - and then one day my payment disappeared. The money eventually showed up again a couple of weeks later - but in between it was pretty clear that nobody was taking responsibility for the loss. Zelle claimed it was the receiving bank's responsibility - my bank said it was zelle's responsibility and the receiving bank said they'd never received anything so it certainly wasn't their responsibility.

I'm never using zelle - or anything similar - again.
I've never had a problem with Zelle, though I only use it for friends and family, and myself. It works great to transfer funds from one bank account to another for free, without having to wait 3 days for ACH.

Last edited:

RebelYell

Seeker
I've never had a problem with Zelle, though I only use it for friends and family, and myself. It works great to transfer funds from one bank account to another for free, without having to wait 3 days for ACH.
Yeah. It worked great for me too for months until the day something went wrong.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
If female teller.
I Found a reasonably priced gold digger, you wouldn't know anything about that would you?
If male teller.
Hookers and blow you wouldn't know anything about that would you?