• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

~WORD of THE DAY~

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
It really does resemble the iconic image FWIW.
1532900346366.png

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
res·o·lute
[ˈrezəˌl(y)o͞ot]

ADJECTIVE
  1. admirably purposeful, determined, and unwavering.
    "she was resolute and unswerving"
    synonyms: determined · purposeful · purposive · resolved · decided · adamant · single-minded · firm · unswerving · unwavering · undaunted · fixed · set · intent · insistent · steadfast · staunch · stalwart · earnest · manful · deliberate · unfaltering · unhesitating · unflinching · persevering · persistent · pertinacious · indefatigable · tenacious · bulldog · strong-minded · strong-willed · unshakeable · unshaken · steely · four-square · dedicated · committed · constant · stubborn · dogged · obstinate · obdurate · inflexible · relentless · intransigent · implacable · unyielding · unbending · immovable · unrelenting · spirited · brave · bold · courageous · plucky · stout · stouthearted · mettlesome · indomitable · strenuous · vigorous · gritty · stiff · rock-ribbed · gutsy · spunky · perseverant · indurate
    antonyms: irresolute · halfhearted

ORIGIN
late Middle English (in the sense ‘paid’, describing a rent): from Latin resolutus ‘loosened, released, paid’, past participle of resolvere ( see resolve).

Lol at plucky : )

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Fungible

1 : being of such a nature that one part or quantity may be replaced by another equal part or quantity in the satisfaction of an obligation
2 : interchangeable
3 : flexible

If something is fungible, you can exchange it for something else. Why is it that you can trade a twenty dollar bill for a ten and two fives? Because money's fungible!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ist tie I heard that word was from Mike Maloney in reference to GOLD IS MONEY

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Artilect (plural artilects)

An artificial intellect, a supposed artificial intelligence that may outstrip its human creators in mental capability.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
opprobrium

public disgrace or ill fame that follows from conduct considered grossly wrong or shameful·
A replacement big word for 'infamous'.

BF

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
predilection
noun

a predilection for shellfish: liking, fondness, preference, partiality, taste, penchant, weakness, soft spot, fancy, inclination, leaning, bias, propensity, bent, proclivity, predisposition, appetite.

ANTONYMS dislike.

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
ossuary

An ossuary is a chest or a box made to serve as the final resting place of human remains

Humm — has this thread died?
does it need one of these?

Last edited:

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Lets wake it up — eh?

fuck
vulgar slang

1. To have sexual intercourse with someone.​
2. Ruin or damage something – often used in conjunction with the word up.​
3. The act of sexual intercourse.​

As an exclamation: used alone or as a noun or a verb in various phrases to express anger, annoyance, contempt, impatience, or surprise, or simply for emphasis.

===========================================================
Instances of fuck before the fifteenth century are rare, despite it commonly being classed as one of the Anglo-Saxon four-letter words. Germanic words of similar form (f + vowel + consonant) and meaning 'copulate' are numerous. One of them is G. ficken. They often have additional senses, especially 'cheat,' but their basic meaning is 'move back and forth.' Most probably, fuck is a borrowing from Low German and has no cognates outside Germanic and it is suspected that it came into English in the fifteenth century from something like Low German, Frisian or Dutch.

Fuck was outlawed in print in England (by the Obscene Publications Act, 1857) and the U.S. (by the Comstock Act, 1873). The legal barriers against use in print broke down in mid-20s with the "Ulysses" decision (U.S., 1933) and "Lady Chatterley's Lover" (U.S., 1959; U.K., 1960). The major breakthrough in publication was James Jones' "From Here to Eternity" (1950), with 50 fucks (down from 258 in the original manuscript).

But while the f-word was common, it has not always been a swearword. It was simply a direct and impolite word for sexual intercourse. Only in the early to mid-nineteenth century did it begin to be used non-literally, to insult and offend others, to relieve pain, and to express extremes of emotion, negative and positive. In other words, it took over four hundred years to make the transition from "he fucked her" to "that's fucking awesome!"

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Seriatim
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In law, seriatim (Latin for "in series") indicates that a court is addressing multiple issues in a certain order, such as the order in which the issues were originally presented to the court.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
con•com•i•tant
(kɒnˈkɒm ɪ tənt, kən-)

adj.
1. existing or occurring with something else, often in a lesser way; accompanying; concurrent: an event and itsconcomitant circumstances.
n.
2. a concomitant quality, circumstance, or thing.
[1595–1605; < Medieval Latin concomitant-, s. of concomitāns, present participle of concomitārī to accompany < Latincon- con- + comes companion; see comes]

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
casuistry (kăzhˈo͞o-ĭ-strē)
  • n.
    Specious or excessively subtle reasoning intended to rationalize or mislead.
  • n.
    The determination of right and wrong in questions of conduct or conscience by analyzing cases that illustrate general ethical rules.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
seminal moment

A seminal moment refers to a time lapse when something life-altering occurs. There are times when something small starts so it can become something big later. An example of this is when handling a special job and doing well at it, it may lead to a new position in a company.

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Existential Despair

If every person in the world was temporarily stripped of their daily purpose in life — if they were torn away from their responsibilities and daily routines, like going to work, taking care of children, keeping house, doing laundry — in time there would be global pandemonium.

Most individuals would begin obsessing about all the wrong things and asking unanswerable questions. For example, overthinking life and death — being born from a dark and undefinable void to dying, perhaps unexpectedly, and going back to that same obscure emptiness. Invariably, this kind of weighty musing would lead to the “Who am I?” and “Why are we here?” inquiries which can be intellectual cul de sacs — cognitive dead-ends that lack in utility.

This temporary loss of purpose would create an existential vacuum of anxiety so immense it would make everyone’s head spin. Humans could not handle it. Idle time for the human mind is worse than the devil’s playground. It’s the devil’s penitentiary.

Hence, when you experience this “existential despair,” you are facing your mortal self and the unbearable truth of your finiteness.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Here is a word that, although I'm not sure elicits an expansion of consciousness or awareness, does, in my opinion elicit an expansion of thinking concerning descriptive words used by non Western thinking peoples and maybe the way they view or viewed reality. This word is lifted from a GIM thread posted a couple days ago about an outdoor griddle being fabricated by a Canuck trying to improve his breakfast grilling experience and one of the words he used made an impression on me. Forgive me for not recalling the name of the thread or the original poster, right now. If I think of it, I'll add it here.
Found: Hangover Cure Breakfast, World's Skookumest BBQ Griddle, posted by this thread's creator, NewMisty.

The word: SKOOKUM

It is a word originating from the native American people from the Pacific Northwest in Canada and the United States. It's a term with multiple meanings. It can be used as a descriptive of a physical thing being large or robust, of an animal or person being powerful or courageous. "That is one skookum big, powerful bear." Basically, anything or creature, including a human being very impressive in some way. It can be also used to describe a spirit being or feeling of awe or extreme fright concerning the spirit realm. "The caves in the mountains are dark and skookum fearful." Lately, the word has been appropriated by people involved in industrial or work environments to describe tools or jobs. "That road grading Cat is mighty skookum." This word, I think, could be applied easily in everyday American life, as well. "My Marlin lever action Scout Gun in 45/70 is one skookum blaster."

Skookum: Very cool word, coming out of the native American descriptive lexicon.
And, and there is Newt Skookum; The all around hand.

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
meme
A meme is an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture—often with the aim of conveying a particular phenomenon, theme, or meaning represented by the meme.

The word meme is a shortening of mimeme (from Ancient Greek), coined by British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene (1976)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hey what was that word Irons just taught us? I read it earlier but lost the thread.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
E-balls = eye balls Which means I had too, like way too much macaroni plus wieners plus pepper and habaneros to go with them beers and my eye balls were crossing up. Don't worry I have been up since 2am so I made it past the starch infusion.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
E-balls = eye balls Which means I had too, like way too much macaroni plus wieners plus pepper and habaneros to go with them beers and my eye balls were crossing up. Don't worry I have been up since 2am so I made it past the starch infusion.
Funny I read it as Eballs like, Email etc,. Thanks for the clarm-if-ication.

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Come and get me, NAACP!

niggardly

[nig-erd-lee]
adjective
  1. reluctant to give or spend; stingy; miserly.
  2. meanly or ungenerously small or scanty:

arminius

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
A little more on that particular word-ing:

niggard (n.)
"mean person, miser," late 14c., nygart, of uncertain origin. The suffix suggests French origin (see -ard), but the root word is possibly from earlier nig "stingy" (c. 1300), perhaps from a Scandinavian source related to Old Norse hnøggr "stingy," from Proto-Germanic *khnauwjaz (source of Swedish njugg "close, careful," German genau "precise, exact"), and to Old English hneaw "stingy, niggardly," which did not survive in Middle English.

niggardly (adj.)
1560s, from niggard + -ly (1).

It was while giving a speech in Washington, to a very international audience, about the British theft of the Elgin marbles from the Parthenon. I described the attitude of the current British authorities as "niggardly." Nobody said anything, but I privately resolved -- having felt the word hanging in the air a bit -- to say "parsimonious" from then on. [Christopher Hitchens, "The Pernicious Effects of Banning Words," Slate.com, Dec. 4, 2006]

As an adverb from 1520s. Related: Niggardliness.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/niggard

If the shoe fits...

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
etymology

The study of the sources and development of words and morphemes. The origin and historical development of a linguistic form as shown by determining its basic elements, earliest known use, and changes in form and meaning, tracing its transmission from one language to another, identifying its cognates in other languages, and reconstructing its ancestral form where possible.

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Pedovore

The word “Pedovore” means, the people who eat the bodies of young children, being the words of pedophile combined with carnivore.

A video which is now rumored to be available on the dark web, reportedly shows the pedovores Hillary Clinton and Huma Abedin with an underage teenage girl.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Not exactly the 'word of the day' but listen to the first 4 minutes of Lionel and his word choices.

He's a master at wordiness.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
panache
pəˈnäSH

Flamboyant manner, energetic confidence; reckless courage; dash; verve

From Middle French pennache. The literal translation is a plume of feathers, such as is worn on a hat or a helmet;

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
obstreperous

noisy and difficult to control.

synonyms: unruly, unmanageable, disorderly, undisciplined, uncontrollable, rowdy, disruptive, truculent, difficult, refractory, rebellious, mutinous, riotous, out of control, wild, turbulent, uproarious, boisterous

thanks walter
BF

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
antidisestablishmentarianism

[an-tee-dis-uh-stab-lish-muh n-tair-ee-uh-niz-uh m, an-tahy-]
Word Origin
noun
  1. opposition to the withdrawal of state support or recognition from an established church,especially the Anglican Church in 19th-century England.
Word Origin and History for antidisestablishmentarianism
n.
"opposition to disestablishment of the Church of England," 1838, said by Weekley to be firstrecorded in Gladstone's "Church and State," from dis- + establishment in the sense of "theecclesiastical system established by law; the Church of England" (1731). Hence,establishmentarianism "the principle of a state church," and disestablish (1590s) "to deprive (a church) of especial state patronage and support" (first used specifically of Christian churches in 1806), which are married in this word. Rarely used at all now except in examples of the longestwords, amongst which it has been counted at least since 1901.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

arminius

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
schadenfreude

scha·den·freu·de (shäd′n-froi′də)
n.
Pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.

[German : Schaden, damage (from Middle High German schade, from Old High German scado) + Freude, joy (from Middle High German vreude, from Old High German frewida, from frō, happy).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We have words ending with -phile for fondness or love, -phobe for fear, and mis- for hate, but I have been unsuccessful in finding a word stem for "disgust". Because sometimes the word I want isn't about hate, and it's not about fear. It's disgust.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Didn't know that one. Gonna have to try & squeeze it into conversation sometime now.
Is GIM2 a panoply of PM's & political views ?

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Emulate: match or surpass
Fecundate: to fertilize

Emulate the fecundating rabbit!

HOW EASTER EGGS ARE MADE.jpg

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
ple·na·ry
ˈplenərē/Submit
adjective
unqualified; absolute.
"crusaders were offered a plenary indulgence by the Pope"
synonyms:unconditional, unlimited, unrestricted, unqualified, absolute, sweeping, comprehensive; plenipotentiary
"the council has plenary powers in this matter"

(of a meeting) to be attended by all participants at a conference or assembly, who otherwise meet in smaller groups.
"a plenary session of the European Parliament"
synonyms:full, complete, entire
"a plenary session of the parliament"

Gleaned from this story:

https://www.wnd.com/2018/09/judge-affirms-wedding-cake-ruling-judgment-is-final/