• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

workin man

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
More flashing, more tar, more flashing, more tar please!!
Said the blind roofer!
oct-16-400x362.jpg

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Said the blind roofer!
oct-16-400x362.jpg

same for all skilled trades...

... but the bad ones often charge as much / or more - than the good ones... Gotta rely on "word of mouth"... and "visiting previous projects"...

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
same for all skilled trades...

... but the bad ones often charge as much / or more - than the good ones... Gotta rely on "word of mouth"... and "visiting previous projects"...
Exactly. I haven't spent a penny on advertising since making the plunge into running my own show about 15 years ago. So there's little need to "earn their trust" because their trusted source already did it for them which makes the whole process much easier and there's a lot less stress.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
with some spray "flex seal " on top........good as new ....or at least another year :beer:
Whad'ya know, just what I did 3 years ago.

20210820_170003~2.jpg

20210820_172054.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Remodeling
ECONOMIC OUTLOOK/RRI
REMODELING

Remodeling Market Continues to Surge Despite Potential Headwinds
Despite 12.1% YOY growth, Zonda forecasts remodeling activity will decrease in 2022 due to a softened existing housing market.
By Vincent Salandro

Zonda’s Residential Remodeling Index (RRI) posted an all-time high reading of 146.5 in the second quarter of 2021, marking a historically strong gain of 12.1% from the second quarter of 2020. According to the RRI, big-ticket residential remodeling spending in the second quarter increased 1.8% from the first quarter of 2021.

The reading of 146.5 indicates economic conditions known to impact remodeling are 46.5% higher than the old peak in 2007. The second quarter reading marks the 37th consecutive quarter of annual and quarter-over-quarter growth since national remodeling activity bottomed in 2011. Zonda said the RRI has averaged annual gains of 12.3% over the last four quarters. The last time the RRI average YOY increases of 10% or more was in 2005.

The second quarter RRI reading was stronger than initially forecast and Zonda said expectations for the remainder of 2021 have firmed as well. Annual growth in 2021 is now expected to beat 2020’s growth by 0.2% and the RRI model now predicts remodeling and replacement activity will decrease slightly in 2022 before growing thereafter. The first quarter 2021 RRI projected remodeling growth would only flatten in 2022 before growing in 2023.

The updated forecast reflects expectations that the housing market will cool off in 2022 as mortgage rates rise. The RRI is projected to average annual growth of 9.7% in 2021 before a decrease of 1.6% in 2022. In 2023 and 2024, the RRI forecasts stable growth rates of 2% for the remodeling market will be observed.

The remodeling and replacement market has experienced historically strong rates of growth in the middle of 2021, coinciding with red-hot activity in the existing home market, according to Zonda. Existing home sales reached their highest levels since 2006 in 2020 and despite the emergence of some buyer hesitancy due to soaring prices, sales are expected to grow by 6% in 2021. Zonda forecasts that as mortgage rates tick higher in 2022, sales and price appreciation will moderate, leading to a cooling of the housing market. Subsequently, year-over-year comparisons for remodeling activity are also expected to taper in 2022.

Zonda said continued GDP growth and employment will help buoy remodeling activity when the housing market cools. However, the emergence of the COVID-19 delta variance and non-transitory inflation represent risk factors for the market’s future recovery.

Zonda estimates the number of pro-worthy remodeling projects worth $1,000 or more completed in 2020 was 14.4 million. For 2021, Zonda forecasts the number will increase to 15.7 million. While demand remains strong for remodelers and homeowners are increasingly willing to spend on larger discretionary projects once again, shortages in qualified labor and building products are limiting some project potential and creating backlogs, according to Zonda.

As part of the RRI estimation, Zonda predicts 382 of 384 observed metropolitan statistical areas will see growth in annual remodeling project volume in 2021. Among those markets, the average growth rate is expected to be 8.2%

The RRI is based on a statistical model that takes into account data such as household level remodeling permits and consumer-reported remodeling and replacement projects. It uses a model to predict the number and dollar volume of home improvement and replacement projects nationwide worth at least $1,000 in 381 metropolitan statistical areas and nationwide.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Vincent SalandroVincent Salandro
Vincent Salandro is an associate editor for Remodeling and ProSales. He also covers products for the Journal of Light Construction and has stories appearing in other Hanley Wood publications, including Builder. He earned a B.A. in journalism and a B.S. in economics from American University.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just scored about 20 each of pT 2x6x8 & 2x6x12's. Very solid lumber. Also some 2x12 (cut)stringers and miss. Neighbors of client renovating.
Over $400 if bought new.
20210902_142427~2.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
It just never ends...

20210902_192042~2.jpg

20210902_193123~2.jpg

20210902_193156.jpg

20210902_200202.jpg

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Not every day you have a hawk land on your work truck while actually driving down the road! Was going about 15 mph checking the level of the plant water reservoir when I saw this thing in my side mirror for a fraction of a second then heard her on the top of the cab of the truck.
hawk on truck.jpg

We bring in a company with these trained birds to keep the geese out of our ponds. Still didnt expect this though.

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Not every day you have a hawk land on your work truck while actually driving down the road! Was going about 15 mph checking the level of the plant water reservoir when I saw this thing in my side mirror for a fraction of a second then heard her on the top of the cab of the truck. View attachment 223701
We bring in a company with these trained birds to keep the geese out of our ponds. Still didnt expect this though.
Very Cool Smooth. Only thing cooler would be if she would bring you a fresh kill to grill.!!!!

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Not every day you have a hawk land on your work truck while actually driving down the road! Was going about 15 mph checking the level of the plant water reservoir when I saw this thing in my side mirror for a fraction of a second then heard her on the top of the cab of the truck. View attachment 223701
You were actually able to get out and snap a pic without scaring him off?

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
You were actually able to get out and snap a pic without scaring him off?
Yeah, was able to slowly stop the truck get out and take several pictures. They use a few different hawks but they are all very well trained. No fear of humans, they just want to see if you have any food. One of the ladies let me wear the glove once while she called the hawk in. Cool experience. Think I've posted the pic before.
Harris hawk.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Yeah, was able to slowly stop the truck get out and take several pictures. They use a few different hawks but they are all very well trained. No fear of humans, they just want to see if you have any food. One of the ladies let me wear the glove once while she called the hawk in. Cool experience. Think I've posted the pic before. View attachment 223734
"You may be badass, but you're not smoothster holding a hawk badass."

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, was able to slowly stop the truck get out and take several pictures. They use a few different hawks but they are all very well trained. No fear of humans, they just want to see if you have any food. One of the ladies let me wear the glove once while she called the hawk in. Cool experience. Think I've posted the pic before. View attachment 223734
Having seen a young hawk struggle to deal with a squirrel in my back yard, I am curious how they work over geese.
Goslings sure, but full grown geese are pretty tough.
Have you seen them do their thing?

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Having seen a young hawk struggle to deal with a squirrel in my back yard, I am curious how they work over geese.
Goslings sure, but full grown geese are pretty tough.
Have you seen them do their thing?
yeah, I have watched them. Mostly they just chase the geese away. The geese dont want anything to do with them. And honestly we dont want the hawks killing the geese. Our water treatment plant is right on the bay with a public road between the the plant and the bay. Bad publicity. These hawks mostly hunt rabbits but I know they are capable of killing a goose.
Not a Harris Hawk but none the less.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Out of words at this point

20210908_165214.jpg

20210908_164036~2.jpg

20210908_170440~2.jpg

20210908_170407~2.jpg

20210908_164416~2.jpg

20210908_164623~2.jpg

20210908_162347~2.jpg

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Dang Misty.. you need to find some smarter clients.. or charge one heck of lot more $$

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Out of words, but hey, be thankful you have work to do...

What would you do if everyone else did everything perfectly and you had nothing to repair.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Had to do some unique plumbing for draoning the gutters

20210908_173054~2.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
that is fancy.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Misty

Just being curious.

Is there any reason (code, logic etc) why they are not joined earlier?

Thanks in advance.

Golden Regards
Uncle
Hey up Uncle.

Prior my involvement there was only a singular downspout carrying the water from half of the carport, half of her unit AND a quarter of her neighbor's unit!

Half of her carport drained into the upper downspout that you can see feeding directly into the gutter and downspout below.

I put new siding on the wall, ran the upper(carport) downspout independently and joined the two downstream.

It just so happened that I was under that landing replacing the dryer vent the day before a deluge came. That next day my plan was to finish installing the gutter system originally pictured and of course that was the day that we got two inches of rain in an hour! So I was just getting set up and started when the rain came so I was actually able to see the amount of water coming through that singular downspout which was absolutely incredible to me. It was literally like a 4 inch fire hose on full throttle. I had made a temporary feeder into the drain down below but at taking it apart to crawl through and get to the dryer vent so when that rain was coming it was literally pouring right next to the house through that downspout and I held up my temporary section the catch the water and feed it into the drain and I couldn't believe the amount of water pressure in the sheer volume of water coming through that one downspout. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself. So the reason I joined them so far downstream was due to the position of the existing downspout that the two feet into the position of running the downspouts above straight instead of giving them turns and trying to eliminate back up at their turn. Hope that makes sense. What a mess.

20210707_133329~2.jpg

20210707_150921~2.jpg

20210707_150050~2.jpg

New siding (LP Smartside) and new, straight run uppper(carport) downspout
20210707_190608~2.jpg