• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

workin man

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Ah yes, vinegar. The acid neutralizer. It's also good for cleaning grout off the face of tile.

Hope your hands heal and you find something that works for ya.
thanks, they're not as red as last night. I hope by tomorrow I can get back at it.

Carpet is coming on the 30th and I still have the floor to install, the vanity and plumbing fixtures. Probably build the vanity top out of the same tile like the rest of the house.

You can see the red and swelling. Hurts to type - so I hope you guys feel sorry for me... LOL!

IMG_5248.jpg

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Get to a school today for a boiler issue. Walk in and every window in the entire building is open. Principal says it’s to push covid out. Well it’s 53 degrees out and I walk into the boiler room. Both boilers in high fire and going full throttle in October. They should be running at about 20% and cycling. Insanity never stops. I raised the water temp up so they could get more heat, but it won’t help just use more fuel.

Mind you these are the same people pushing climate change. This is becoming a common issue. People trying to vent buildings and bringing in tons of fresh air.

engineear

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
thanks, they're not as red as last night. I hope by tomorrow I can get back at it.

Carpet is coming on the 30th and I still have the floor to install, the vanity and plumbing fixtures. Probably build the vanity top out of the same tile like the rest of the house.

You can see the red and swelling. Hurts to type - so I hope you guys feel sorry for me... LOL!

View attachment 228515
Looks like Rosy Palm and her 5 sisters syndrome....lol...kidding...

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
ha ha, no warts or hair growth though...

Wife said 'Take alieve. It's an anti-inflamatory' so I did and it seems to be a little better.

I'd say it's between a 1st and 2nd degree chemical burn.

Fingertips are smooth - as in fingerprints are gone? Not sure, but I suspect 'prints' are dead skin and they dissolved? Both index fingers are worse, probably because I wiped the excess off the edges of the tile using the booger getter. More exposure.

Any cuts or abrasions hurt worse!

Posting this so anyone else doesn't make the same mistake!

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
My favorite circular saw took a hit on its head and the brush housing broke. And now the angry pixies don't get to their intended destination.

Doubting I can find a replacement, does this look repairable to anyone?

20211013_130506_HDR~2.jpg
20211013_130425_HDR~2.jpg
20211013_130455_HDR~2.jpg
20211013_130425_HDR~3.jpg

engineear

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
400lb Swedish anvil

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
My favorite circular saw took a hit on its head and the brush housing broke. And now the angry pixies don't get to their intended destination.

Doubting I can find a replacement, does this look repairable to anyone?

View attachment 228830
Is the damage the black bits around the phillips screw?

What model saw? Brand?

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 10.03.05 AM.png

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Update on the cement/lye burns on my fingers...

I still have a little bit on the booger getter finger of my left hand.

I could 'feel' the bones in my fingers when I pulled back on the skin...

The sensation is as if I dipped my fingers in hot wax - if that makes sense?

The skin was turgid and tight but the bones could move within.

This was the strangest thing I've ever experienced. Like a glove was glued to my fingers.

Here's a pic of the job... still have to grout.

Question for you guys... should the edge of the glass wall tile be bullnose, or glass to the edge?

IMG_5271.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Lots of "not working for parts" on ebay.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Update on the cement/lye burns on my fingers...

I still have a little bit on the booger getter finger of my left hand.

I could 'feel' the bones in my fingers when I pulled back on the skin...

The sensation is as if I dipped my fingers in hot wax - if that makes sense?

The skin was turgid and tight but the bones could move within.

This was the strangest thing I've ever experienced. Like a glove was glued to my fingers.

Here's a pic of the job... still have to grout.

Question for you guys... should the edge of the glass wall tile be bullnose, or glass to the edge?

View attachment 228922
I've gotten used to the Crete burns. Stay hydrated.

Do you have a stud to screw into behind the tile to support the hinges/holder for the glass?

Usually you'd call the glass peeps, then they'll come out to discuss details and take measurements for fitment.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I've gotten used to the Crete burns. Stay hydrated.

Do you have a stud to screw into behind the tile to support the hinges/holder for the glass?

Usually you'd call the glass peeps, then they'll come out to discuss details and take measurements for fitment.
I did put a stud in back!

Not sure we're going for the glass install or the shower rod just yet. That's up to the wife! :ponder:

Here's a little inflation for you...

I used to buy nitrile gloves at Harbor Fright @ $6 a box of 100. Now they're $16.99!

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Friend just bought a box of bolts. They were $35 per hundred. Now $75.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I did put a stud in back!

Not sure we're going for the glass install or the shower rod just yet. That's up to the wife! :ponder:

Here's a little inflation for you...

I used to buy nitrile gloves at Harbor Fright @ $6 a box of 100. Now they're $16.99!
The glass is so worth it and you've got a reputable company to use. Yugo vs Bentley. If you go end up going rod get one that circles outward like in Hotels nowadays.

The glass will make the bathroom feel much bigger and much more luxurious. You only live once!
Looks like very low ceilings too... Get the glass!. :)

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Here's a snapshot of the type of exemplary attention to detail ain securing the roof down.

Couple years ago a destructive tornado passed just miles from here too...

View attachment 228086
I didn't realize that the code down here allowed for the weight of the shingles to hold the roof on!
20211019_164310_HDR~2.jpg

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
The glass will make the bathroom feel much bigger and much more luxurious. You only live once!
Looks like very low ceilings too... Get the glass!. :)
Yeah, I suggested glass and the wife wants a rod. I'll try suggesting glass because the room is so small.

Just leveled the floor (concrete) because I'm using this for the floor: Interlocking 2x4 vinyl. They say the floor doesn't need to be level, but there were low spots when I put my 6' level on it. Nothing like a level floor - I don't care what they say.

IMG_5313.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The kind and appreciative Scottish widow is fattening me up

20211023_091823_HDR.jpg
20211023_122515_HDR~2.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
20210923_183255~2.jpg

20211008_165736_HDR.jpg

20210929_184959~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210927-155550.png

20211022_184600_HDR.jpg

20211023_161434_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Got Pops 1964 Weil McLain Boiler all dialed in for the winter. Replaced the pump last year, old pump was about 30 years old. This boiler should last another 50 years with a few cheap parts replaced. On the way out he tossed me his gold crown he had ripped out last week.

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
So I've had this great little propane top heater and the stupid plastic knob broke. I had glued it and rigged it for a while but then it was too far gone.

My question is is there anything that I can use as a substitute to get this sucker working again?

20211110_010725_HDR~2.jpg

20211110_010734_HDR~2.jpg

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
So I've had this great little propane top heater and the stupid plastic knob broke. I had glued it and rigged it for a while but then it was too far gone.

My question is is there anything that I can use as a substitute to get this sucker working again?

View attachment 231739

View attachment 231740
That looks like a replaceable knob which threads on. You should be able to find a parts outlet to sell you a knob for that

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

View attachment 231739

View attachment 231740
If ya still got the pieces I have good luck with JB WELD. And they make a putty that might hold the pieces in place while it hardens up.
Just My 2 cents.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know if the tanks are able to be refilled, or out of date.
Are they owned or rented.
The first time I had my (bought it used no idea how old it is), O2 tank refilled, it was no problem here you go.
the second time 5 years later, it was "nope can't do it, have to get a new tank".
I hardly ever use the rig, so can't really remember all the details.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Hey NEW. I have a new Harris Oxy-Propane setup I will never use. You can have it at no cost delivered to your steps if you wish. Just shoot me a PM If you want it. Its OXY-Propane however. Then you can spend your money on new tanks.

IMG_2597 (1).jpg

IMG_2594 (1).jpg

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I have oxy-propane. I decided it would be cheaper and easier to refill propane than acetylene. Can't get around the oxygen, though.

Very generous offer, Davy!

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I have oxy-propane. I decided it would be cheaper and easier to refill propane than acetylene. Can't get around the oxygen, though.

Very generous offer, Davy!
New would be doing me a favor. Been sitting in my garage for 6 years and I just can’t throw it or deal with some dipshit on Craigslist.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

JLC Online

Deck Builder​

Durable Wood Fencing​

A pinned post connection makes for a longer-lasting wood fence​

By Ryan Labrenz
DOWNLOAD THE PDF VERSION OF THIS ARTICLE. (5.91 MB)
Finishing up a recent remodeling project, my company, New Dimension Construction, was tasked with installing custom-built cedar fencing around the home’s newly installed in-ground pool and garden area. The homeowners preferred to use wood instead of more durable materials for aesthetic reasons and chose a fence design made from western red cedar and heavy-gauge galvanized wire mesh.

The author installs 1-by cedar face frame to secure the galvanized welded wired mesh in the garden area (left). Carpenter, Ed Brady, creates “pinned posts” using a site-built jig (right).
The author installs 1-by cedar face frame to secure the galvanized welded wired mesh in the garden area (left). Carpenter, Ed Brady, creates “pinned posts” using a site-built jig (right).
Our chief concern with using wood for the fencing was its lifespan; namely, we didn’t want to embed the posts in concrete and have them prematurely fail within 10 years and thus waste a large amount of expensive cedar. Also, the site had slow-draining clay soils, which had the potential to rot embedded posts at an even faster rate. To increase the longevity of the fencing, we decided to pin the cedar posts to concrete pier footings with lengths of 2-inch galvanized water pipe.
Durable posts. The fence design called for 40 4x4 cedar posts for the pool enclosure, and 15 4x4s and 16 6x6s for the garden area. To accomplish our pinned post detail, we needed to bore large holes into the end grain of each cedar post—something easier said than done.
To hold the 4x4 posts while we bored the holes, we built a big three-sided jig out of scrap 2-by stock, which we used as a giant drill press. We first screwed two 2x4s on end to a 2x10 to act as guide rails. Then we cut a pair of 3 1⁄2-inch-square 2-by blocks with holes drilled in the center large enough for a 24-inch-long drill bit extension to run through. We screwed one of the blocks about 2 feet up from the end of the rails to act as a fixed point, while the other block served as a sliding guide for the drill as we plunged into the end grain of a post. We placed a post between the 2-by rails, set it against a stop at the opposite end of the jig, and started augering.
Large holes were bored through the end grain of the posts for piping that would pin them to concrete footings (left). A three-sided jig with a 2-by set block and a sliding 2-by block acted like a giant drill press (right).
Large holes were bored through the end grain of the posts for piping that would pin them to concrete footings (left). A three-sided jig with a 2-by set block and a sliding 2-by block acted like a giant drill press (right).
To bore out the holes, we used a 2 1⁄4-inch-diameter Forstner bit (which was slightly larger than the pipe’s 2 1⁄8‑inch diameter) attached to the extension rod and a corded drill. We had to apply a fair amount of pressure to bore out the holes and took our time plunging into the posts. We made a similar, larger jig with 5 1⁄2‑inch-square 2-by blocks to bore out the 6x6 posts for the garden.
Crew member, Nathan Tuttle, bores into a 6x6 cedar post with a 2 1⁄4-inch-diameter Forstner bit attached to an extension rod and a corded drill.
Crew member, Nathan Tuttle, bores into a 6x6 cedar post with a 2 1⁄4-inch-diameter Forstner bit attached to an extension rod and a corded drill.
Bonding wood to steel. The 2-inch hot-dipped galvanized water pipe came in 21-foot lengths, which we cut up into 66-inch lengths for our pins; we planned to embed the galvanized piping 48 inches into concrete pier footings and 18 inches into the western red cedar.
To assemble the posts, we first applied Gorilla glue with a paintbrush roughly 18 inches up one end of the pipe. To activate the adhesion of the glue, we sprayed some water into the bored-out hole. The Gorilla glue acted as a lubricant, so we were able to slide the piping into the cedar relatively easily.
Before sliding the 2-inch hot-dipped galvanized piping into the cedar posts, workers brushed Gorilla glue onto the pipe ends (left). With the post assemblies standing up against a wall, gravity did the work of settling the wood onto the steel (right).
Before sliding the 2-inch hot-dipped galvanized piping into the cedar posts, workers brushed Gorilla glue onto the pipe ends (left). With the post assemblies standing up against a wall, gravity did the work of settling the wood onto the steel (right).
We stood each post assembly vertically against a wall to let gravity do the work of settling the wood onto the steel and moved onto the next post. After curing, the resulting bond was rock-solid and through-bolts were not needed to make the connection stronger.
Fence installation. Prior to marrying the steel pipe and wood together, we cut the 4x4 and 6x6 cedar post stock long so we’d be able to trim the post heights level to one another after installation. Although the pool and garden areas were fairly level, we wanted to account for any slight variations in the terrain and drilled-out pier footing depths.
We hired a local fencing company to help us install the fence posts. The company has a Toro Dingo with a high-torque auger powerhead, which made quick work of boring 8-inch-diameter holes in the clay soils for pier footings. We worked hand and hand with the fencing workers to make sure the posts were perfectly aligned and plumb, and we helped mix and pour the concrete for the pier footings (two 80-pound bags of Pro-Grade Sakrete per hole).
Click to enlarge
At pool enclosures, fencing needs to be a minimum of 48 inches tall with no more than a 2-inch gap at the bottom of the fence as measured from outside the fence, according to New York state code.
At pool enclosures, fencing needs to be a minimum of 48 inches tall with no more than a 2-inch gap at the bottom of the fence as measured from outside the fence, according to New York state code.
A Toro Dingo with an auger powerhead (at left) bored 8-inch holes for the post footings.
A Toro Dingo with an auger powerhead (at left) bored 8-inch holes for the post footings.
After installation, the posts were trimmed level with a portable 6-inch battery-powered band saw.
After installation, the posts were trimmed level with a portable 6-inch battery-powered band saw.
Alternating 6x6 and 4x4 cedar posts were installed in the garden area; here, they have been aligned, plumbed, and braced, and are ready for concrete.
Alternating 6x6 and 4x4 cedar posts were installed in the garden area; here, they have been aligned, plumbed, and braced, and are ready for concrete.
In this area, the fence design required taller, 6x6 cedar posts with three stainless steel cables run between them at the top to prevent deer from bounding into the garden.
In this area, the fence design required taller, 6x6 cedar posts with three stainless steel cables run between them at the top to prevent deer from bounding into the garden.
Pool enclosure fencing. For the pool fencing, we made panels by sandwiching welded wired mesh (mcnichols.com) between a 2x4 frame and a 1-by face frame (the 2x4 frame would face the pool area). We fastened the hot-dipped galvanized 2-inch-by-1-inch welded wired mesh to the cedar 2x4 frame with 1-inch-long by 1⁄4-inch stainless steel crown staples and screwed the cedar 1-by face frame over the edges of the mesh to hide the staples.
Workers prefabricated cedar fencing panels, sandwiching galvanized welded wired mesh between a 2x4 frame and a 1-by face frame, and then fastened them to the posts with stainless steel screws (left top and bottom). The posts were topped with site-fabricated copper caps (right).
Workers prefabricated cedar fencing panels, sandwiching galvanized welded wired mesh between a 2x4 frame and a 1-by face frame, and then fastened them to the posts with stainless steel screws (left top and bottom). The posts were topped with site-fabricated copper caps (right).
For the top rail, we beveled 2x4 western red cedar stock using a molder in our shop, then secured the beveled rail with construction adhesive and three stainless steel trim-head screws screwed from above. We used stainless steel screws throughout to construct the panels and then attach the panels to the posts.
Pool fencing and code. When designing and building the pool enclosure, we had to adhere to a number of code regulations mandated by the state of New York—see “Pool Enclosure Fencing” above for critical dimensions. In addition, gate latches needed to be mounted a minimum of 54 inches from the ground, and gates with self-closing hinges needed to swing away from the pool. An alarm was also required at the kitchen slider access door to the pool area (an audible voice alarm is activated when the slider door is opened).
To meet code, the pool’s access gate is equipped with self-closing hinges that swing away from the pool (left) and a locking Magna-Latch mounted 54 inches above ground level (right).
To meet code, the pool’s access gate is equipped with self-closing hinges that swing away from the pool (left) and a locking Magna-Latch mounted 54 inches above ground level (right).
Photos by New Dimension Construction, illustration by Tim Healey

About the Author​

Ryan Labrenz
Ryan Labrenz is a lead carpenter for New Dimension Construction, in Millbrook, N.Y.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
New would be doing me a favor. Been sitting in my garage for 6 years and I just can’t throw it or deal with some dipshit on Craigslist.
Apparently I missed something...i loath browsing on this 2x5" cracked screen.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

View attachment 228515

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Get to a school today for a boiler issue. Walk in and every window in the entire building is open. Principal says it’s to push covid out. Well it’s 53 degrees out and I walk into the boiler room. Both boilers in high fire and going full throttle in October. They should be running at about 20% and cycling. Insanity never stops. I raised the water temp up so they could get more heat, but it won’t help just use more fuel.

Mind you these are the same people pushing climate change. This is becoming a common issue. People trying to vent buildings and bringing in tons of fresh air.
So I take it the COVID blew far, far away to attack white supremacy...

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
^^^ That's why you need to wear a mask outdoors. They are pushing it all out from inside. :rotf:

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I got hone from work one night last week and was so excited I started making up & singing a song on the spot. :) it went something like, "Now we're cooking with gas" with some hearty "Tim the Toolman" grunts for good measure. I'm super stoked and can't praise Mr Coppitt's expedient generosity enough.
20211120_013208_HDR~2.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Whenever she asksI keep telling her, "I'll eat just about anything and will never turn down food."

These blueberry buns are fantastic. Right in the middle of being a muffin and a scone. The best of both worlds. When I asked her what she called them she says Scottish buns and apparently the original recipe calls for lemon zest, dates or apricots and nuts. It's just flour butter and sugar.

20211122_200816_HDR~2.jpg

20211123_185634_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited: