• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

workin man

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

How my viral nail video led to accusations of YouTube fraud​

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Buckets.jpg

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Anybody see an easyway to stretch a little more life out of this thing?
20220106_215559_HDR~2.jpg
20220106_215642_HDR~2.jpg
20220106_215649_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
That ^^^ quite possibly be the first "truth" memwhatever that I've seen on the interest.
And they were just separate 5 seconds ago! :totally steamed::rage 1

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
giphy.webp

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
B
Preciate it davy. :beer:
By no means the proper way to fix it, but I have fixed holes in the back plates of heat exchangers and inducers to keep them running in the middle of the winter with high temp silicone. Just temp until I could get the correct parts and only under a select circumstance. Not worth messing around with flue gasses.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
B

By no means the proper way to fix it, but I have fixed holes in the back plates of heat exchangers and inducers to keep them running in the middle of the winter with high temp silicone. Just temp until I could get the correct parts and only under a select circumstance. Not worth messing around with flue gasses.

So the deal is this POS Chinese crapsman 2 burner stove.
First, the closest burner one stopped working. Somehow the valve went screwy. Fortunately I was able to get it just stay in the(an)off position.
The 2nd burner apparently rusted through due to water over boiling. I failed to keep up with hygeine/maintenance.

Im about to finish cleaning the rust, hit with rusty metal primer and some high heat paint and swap the good "burner tube" to the working(but also screwy valve. Spins and spins and has 'general areas' where it stops and adjusts.
Screenshot_20220107-221647~2.png

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
^^^^ This looks like prank that went too far, or a builder getting back at an abusive homeowner.

Scorpio

Разыскиваются украинские блондинки
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
looks like the rafters are not cut, those are pieces cut to fit between them for windblock/holding insulation with a gap over the top for venting

engineear

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Either the picture is upside down and the rafters need to be inserted in the metal hangers or the hangers are upside down...both bad choices.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
looks like the rafters are not cut, those are pieces cut to fit between them for windblock/holding insulation with a gap over the top for venting
It looks like it should be roof level from what I can see in the background but it also looks like it's underneath a walking deck ie skirting on left.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 7.35.48 PM.png

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Bringing the old man (worked as an apprentice with him) back out of retirement. Ill be taking over 5 of the biggest and badest HVAC buildings out there. He will be coming on for 2 days a week and on call if needed for a year or two to help figure these places out. Will be pretty sweet working with him again.

We both left our old shop at about the same time. We went to different companies. He then since retired and the shop he went to could not handle his buildings, so he called me last week and asked if I would be willing to take them. The company I'm at has the skills and knowlege to back me up at these places which will be a huge relief.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Bringing the old man (worked as an apprentice with him) back out of retirement. Ill be taking over 5 of the biggest and badest HVAC buildings out there. He will be coming on for 2 days a week and on call if needed for a year or two to help figure these places out. Will be pretty sweet working with him again.

We both left our old shop at about the same time. We went to different companies. He then since retired and the shop he went to could not handle his buildings, so he called me last week and asked if I would be willing to take them. The company I'm at has the skills and knowlege to back me up at these places which will be a huge relief.
Home run Davy

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Didn’t load. There can be good money in the coils, but also have to deal with the refrigerants, oil, and cutting them out. The real money can be in recovering the refrigerant and having it recycled then returned to you for reuse. Big time money when you are doing huge changeout with 1000lbs of R22. HVAC can be one of the most lucrative industries out there. Money to be had in every direction.

Few years ago a huge hail storm went through MN. Spent allot of the summer changing out damaged coils. Got paid to change them out and to take in the scrap. I don’t really deal with scrap anymore. There is a guy at our shop who his kids love to take the stuff apart and bring it in so I give them all mine.

Last edited:

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Didn’t load. There can be good money in the coils, but also have to deal with the refrigerants, oil, and cutting them out. The real money can be in recovering the refrigerant and having it recycled then returned to you for reuse. Big time money when you are doing huge changeout with 1000lbs of R22. HVAC can be one of the most lucrative industries out there. Money to be had in every direction.

Few years ago a huge hail storm went through MN. Spent allot of the summer changing out damaged coils. Got paid to change them out and to take in the scrap. I don’t really deal with scrap anymore. There is a guy at our shop who his kids love to take the stuff apart and bring it in so I give them all mine.
Thanks. I have pondered the HVAC path more than once and I got to tell ya', it's very tempting to steer the ship in that direction my friend. Very tempting.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Thanks. I have pondered the HVAC path more than once and I got to tell ya', it's very tempting to steer the ship in that direction my friend. Very tempting.
Went through my first two years of technical school with a few guys in their 50s. It changed my life. I just could never find a good paying job I enjoyed until HVAC.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Went through my first two years of technical school with a few guys in their 50s. It changed my life. I just could never find a good paying job I enjoyed until HVAC.
You in your 40's too?

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Up until a couple of years ago I just didn't have the patience for that type of work. Now that abuse of my body as a tool is starting to catch up a bit, I'm slowing down my roll and finding that type of work more attractive. ( the kind of work where you actually have to use your brain) lol

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
You in your 40's too?

Then there is side jobs. $100 an hour cash and you can get as many as you can handle if you get your name out there. I do no side jobs. Last thing I want to do. I would rather be flipping parts on eBay.

Once you are in the field it really opens up. Sales, estimating, design, and staring your own business. There was a local guy who started delivering HVAC units to the crane for chageout then he would take the old one away. He got paid to drop the new one off, got paid to take the old one away, then has the scrap. He has all sorts of trucks now and is huge. Last thing our shop wants to do is mess with the old unit or having one delivered so they use him for his small fee.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Our gas dryer stopped working back in June right at the same time the wife and I had surgeries. Had a new dryer brought to the house today. In anticipation of getting it into the laundry room, my bro came over and removed a side jamb of the door. The door is a 2-4 and according to the specs, the new unit measured a 1/4" bigger. I'm still out of commission so there would have been no modifications to be done after the unit got on site. So I was looking to have a simple swap out. Not so fast. The guys said they'd need to get rid of the flexable vent and install a solid 4" aluminum vent which I had no qualms over. Given the confined space of where the washer and dryer are, they also would need to vent the room which would require installing 8x12 louvered vents. I know these guys have their rules to follow but was in no way having all that extra work done especially after being quoted another $350.00. As it is now, I will have the repair guy replace the part which might be available to be shipped from Texas on the 16th of this month. We will continue to dry our clothes on the clothes drying rack and hanging off chairs, or hangers.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
619,000 barrels of Alaskan North Slope crude.........

1643425370675.png

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Our gas dryer stopped working back in June right at the same time the wife and I had surgeries. Had a new dryer brought to the house today. In anticipation of getting it into the laundry room, my bro came over and removed a side jamb of the door. The door is a 2-4 and according to the specs, the new unit measured a 1/4" bigger. I'm still out of commission so there would have been no modifications to be done after the unit got on site. So I was looking to have a simple swap out. Not so fast. The guys said they'd need to get rid of the flexable vent and install a solid 4" aluminum vent which I had no qualms over. Given the confined space of where the washer and dryer are, they also would need to vent the room which would require installing 8x12 louvered vents. I know these guys have their rules to follow but was in no way having all that extra work done especially after being quoted another $350.00. As it is now, I will have the repair guy replace the part which might be available to be shipped from Texas on the 16th of this month. We will continue to dry our clothes on the clothes drying rack and hanging off chairs, or hangers.
Sheesh, all I want is clean clothes! No want so many details!

Seriously though, considering its fire being the hazzard, and how often the ducts Het cleaned or inspected, it should be a relatively easier swallow than most any others.