• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

workin man

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
And now witness by least proud "successful" build. My "fail shed."

I bought this cheap aluminum shed kit a year and a half ago. I started assembling it in the fall and was working in the yard fighting piles of leaves, wind and my tools still in boxes. After stuggling over days and weekends, I discovered it was missing a crucial part attaching the doors!, winter hit early. This ended up getting pushed to the corner of the yard, sitting on dirt, the roof falling in, no doors, the walls concave. It sat there for over a year, filled with leaves feet deep and piles of junk. An eyesore. I got grief for it from the wife monthly. Even worse, was that every real "workin man" that came over and would ask, "whats the deal with your shed?" -- I felt my man card getting cut in half every time.

Anyways, DW finally through down the ultimatum, "Either get somebody to fix it or get it hauled away." Well I'm a cheap bastard.
So I finally hacked it together. It isn't square, it isn't' pretty but it seems structurally sound, doesnt flap in the breeze any longer, and the doors open and shut. Good enough for yard tools and crap anyways. And now she gets to decorate it with splatter painting and what not.

I really should have just spent the little bit more cash and had a prebuilt one delivered. Or built one from scratch with wood. Never again.

g9O3moW.png

Au-myn

Goldbug
Founding Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
getting to old for this chit
Yup, I remember every time I got laid off my tile brother would offer me work. I made all the mud and thin-set.

And he ALWAYS hired me on 2- story jobs so I could lug those 5 gallon buckets up the damn stairs and or a row of steps leading to the 2 story house on rare occasions. No, I do not miss those days...

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Passed on the big one today. 22,000 sq ft warehouse stacked full of inventory with another 4-6 acres full of equipment and scrap. It was mine locked in and I turned him down. Its gone now. Thinking high 6 figures or even 7 figures profit and then left over with a warehouse that I could have turned into a heated storage unit. It was just a little out of my league and I didn't know how to handle it.

Good thing is I learned a ton about what to do if this ever happens again. I was thinking about it the wrong way. Now I have a new way to look at this type of situation.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Passed on the big one today. 22,000 sq ft warehouse stacked full of inventory with another 4-6 acres full of equipment and scrap. It was mine locked in and I turned him down. Its gone now. Thinking high 6 figures or even 7 figures profit and then left over with a warehouse that I could have turned into a heated storage unit. It was just a little out of my league and I didn't know how to handle it.

Good thing is I learned a ton about what to do if this ever happens again. I was thinking about it the wrong way. Now I have a new way to look at this type of situation.
Good move. Don't need to get pulled under by the hidden riptide.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Crappy thing is there was no catch, no hidden riptide. I called all the wrong people. Nobody would go in on it with me. I finally called the right guy but it was after the fact.
Can't buy that kind of experience....well you can but it's best not to!

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Ouch, that had to hurt. cry:cry:cry: Nice that you learned from it. :2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up:

!978, I was about a year in business & had a big job to bid. It required a purchase $80,000 worth of pure copper. I had to swing a deal with a metal house (Castle Metals) I was scared shitless, but bit the bullet. The job went far better than I was hoping for. It was the kick in the ass, that got me to never look back !
I wish you great fortune on the next big one ! :holding hands:

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Ouch, that had to hurt. cry:cry:cry: Nice that you learned from it. :2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up:

!978, I was about a year in business & had a big job to bid. It required a purchase $80,000 worth of pure copper. I had to swing a deal with a metal house (Castle Metals) I was scared shitless, but bit the bullet. The job went far better than I was hoping for. It was the kick in the ass, that got me to never look back !
I wish you great fortune on the next big one ! :holding hands:
80k in '78 for pure coppah? That's like 11 billion tonz :mining:

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
80k in '78 for pure coppah? That's like 11 billion tonz :mining:
Ahhh, you understand :2 thumbs up:
It was a BIG job for IBM.
It got me into N.C. machining & 6 years later into CNC machining.
I had one of the early Mac's, black & white screen with a 10 inch screen.
It was so advanced that it taught us how to use it ! Really.
It was tied into a Gibbs software program.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Hey @Irons - if you ever want to upgrade...

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Attn: Floridians

UPGRADE YOUR HOME WITH IMPACT WINDOWS & DOORS

Specializing in impact window and door replacement for Palm Beach County since 2000. Featuring exclusively Marvin Signature® Coastline.https://www.siwsolutions.com/.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Gottem.

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Got some good shop time in yesterday. Making a couple more boxes out of black walnut. Got them pretty much whittled into shape and glued the first corners up. I don't try to glue the entire box in one go as I find it easier to keep things square if I go one corner at a time.

The dime is for scale.

box100.JPG

box101.JPG

box102.JPG

Sampson

Digging for nuggets of knowledge
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just spent the last week lifting this cabin up 2 feet to get it above the flood level. I finished the inside last fall about 2 weeks before everything around here flooded. I pulled the bottom 16" of drywall and insulation, and all the kitchen base cabinets, doors, etc before rebuilding it all this spring. Of course, new stairs so she can get back in again. Off to another job for a couple weeks then back to redo the skirting and add stone features, etc.

Lots of crawling around on my belly until it got up a bit and used all sorts of muscles in ways I usually don't. But now it is up, and the client is happy. And 2 more of the neighbors have asked me to lift theirs too.

20220502_154102.jpg

20220502_154034.jpg

20220503_153807.jpg

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Lots of crawling around on my belly until it got up a bit and used all sorts of muscles in ways I usually don't.
Next time use a jack! Ba dum pssh

Whats the plywood going to get finished with? Coating under where the railing attaches?

I like the downspout doubling as a handrail idea. :p

Sampson

Digging for nuggets of knowledge
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Next time use a jack! Ba dum pssh

Whats the plywood going to get finished with? Coating under where the railing attaches?

I like the downspout doubling as a handrail idea. :p

The pt plywood skirting will be extended and then faux stone on the front and vinyl siding around the sides and back.

And yea, "16 - 12 ton jacks" to be exact. Lol.

The downspout is only ankle high, once the new stair Railing goes in it will run along the bottom rail.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The pt plywood skirting will be extended and then faux stone on the front and vinyl siding around the sides and back.

The downspout is only ankle high, once the new stair Railing goes in it will run along the bottom rail.
Cool concept. I like the modern effects

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

Any ideas what product you are going to use for faux stone? I'm looking for some ideas for a similar project.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Doing a renovation on the lake. The HO is an electrician and wired the place himself. He put all of the switches in the laundry room and then has an app on his phone to control everything or something like that I guess said it cost about $2,500 bucks
Screenshot_20220510-124120.jpg
Screenshot_20220510-124225.jpg

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Client has a concrete pool patio that is about 20 years old and has been painted/stained a couple times. There's a few cracks in it they want to seal up in addition to prepping and painting the deck surface with a high quality pool paint with anti skid. They said they want to buy a year or two before having to replace the patio(typical rich paranoia)

There's 1500 square feet of text base & it shouldn't be hard to prep.

They sent me a link to a product they want to use. It will take 10 5 gallon containers to do the 1500 square feet according to the manufacturers instructions.

So we're already at $2,500 just in paint. Seems awfully excessive to me

Thoughts?

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

engineear

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Client has a concrete pool patio that is about 20 years old and has been painted/stained a couple times. There's a few cracks in it they want to seal up in addition to prepping and painting the deck surface with a high quality pool paint with anti skid. They said they want to buy a year or two before having to replace the patio(typical rich paranoia)

There's 1500 square feet of text base & it shouldn't be hard to prep.

They sent me a link to a product they want to use. It will take 10 5 gallon containers to do the 1500 square feet according to the manufacturers instructions.

So we're already at $2,500 just in paint. Seems awfully excessive to me

Thoughts?

AH-OOH boy...take the money and run...

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
@CiscoKid - instantly though of your beautiful boxes

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
And now witness by least proud "successful" build. My "fail shed."

I bought this cheap aluminum shed kit a year and a half ago. I started assembling it in the fall and was working in the yard fighting piles of leaves, wind and my tools still in boxes. After stuggling over days and weekends, I discovered it was missing a crucial part attaching the doors!, winter hit early. This ended up getting pushed to the corner of the yard, sitting on dirt, the roof falling in, no doors, the walls concave. It sat there for over a year, filled with leaves feet deep and piles of junk. An eyesore. I got grief for it from the wife monthly. Even worse, was that every real "workin man" that came over and would ask, "whats the deal with your shed?" -- I felt my man card getting cut in half every time.

Anyways, DW finally through down the ultimatum, "Either get somebody to fix it or get it hauled away." Well I'm a cheap bastard.
So I finally hacked it together. It isn't square, it isn't' pretty but it seems structurally sound, doesnt flap in the breeze any longer, and the doors open and shut. Good enough for yard tools and crap anyways. And now she gets to decorate it with splatter painting and what not.

I really should have just spent the little bit more cash and had a prebuilt one delivered. Or built one from scratch with wood. Never again.

g9O3moW.png
I'm always relieved learning that my brothers are as discombobulated as me. :)

It's all about the follow through.

Job well done specs

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
AH-OOH boy...take the money and run...
Stumbling out the gate... : )
He's going to need eight of those "kits" to do the 1500sf surface which is over $2,000.

Texted him the materials cost and and it's back to our corners for round two.

When the bell rang he came back out with another link to a different product.

Looking at it it seemed pretty efficacious but there were only seven colors available and after visiting multiple web pages I could not find a single mention of the coverage.

So send him a link to a product I've used which I asked me if you would need 8 gallons worth and should cost around $400 instead.

I saw this coming as they really want to replace the patio in a few years and want to buy some time.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I saw this coming as they really want to replace the patio in a few years and want to buy some time.

The people that owned our house before us painted their pool with something like that. Found out when we went to have it resurfaced, and ended up costing us a few grand extra to have it sandblasted off...

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The people that owned our house before us; painted their pool with something like that. Found out when we went to have it resurfaced, and ended up costing us a few grand extra to have it sandblasted off...
Eek

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Guy built a guitar out of coffee beans

Last edited:

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Some of you remember the epoxy bars that I made for the outdoor lounge area

I was recommending a spar varnish but the owner wanted epoxy. The product isn't made for contact with direct sunlight and I told him several times to make sure to keep it out of the Sun because of that reason. Having been back there after some time I made sure to tell him again to make sure to make or buy a cover for it when you're not using it or else it's going to get damaged. Well clients that don't listen to provide job security so now I am repairing them again.

I'll tell you these things look terrible and gives you an idea of how brutal the Sun is especially with all the flagstone reflecting light and heat in conjunction with direct sun almost all day.

Thankfully the shaded sections of table look beautiful still. When I mentioned the cover again they basically communicated that it would be a bother. Personally I would find calling a contractor over & have to pay him to repair it a bigger burden but then again I don't have swimming pools full of disposable income either.
1652479012768.png

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Spar varnish for the win. The stuff is made for boats. It will hold up to full sunlight and salt water. I use it on everything that will be exposed to the elements.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Spar varnish for the win. The stuff is made for boats. It will hold up to full sunlight and salt water. I use it on everything that will be exposed to the elements.
That's what I told him. He doesn't wear the pants in the family so I think he made the call to have epoxy in order to feel like he was authoritative.

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Sunlight has a habit of yellowing most epoxies that I have worked with. First it turns yellow, then it gets brittle and starts flaking.

Make sure you wear PPE when you go to sand that crap off.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Sunlight has a habit of yellowing most epoxies that I have worked with. First it turns yellow, then it gets brittle and starts flaking.
And the flakes are sharp!

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
That's what I told him. He doesn't wear the pants in the family so I think he made the call to have epoxy in order to feel like he was authoritative.

I'm rather fortunate in the fact that, despite being She Who Must Be Obeyed, my wife lets me pretend to wear the pants on occasion.