• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Wait. We get paid???

I was just helping a friend. But if I ever do get a request to do such a thing by a customer, the job would be one million dollars. Muhahaha.
Careful about that! I worked with a guy back a long time ago, '70s, that went in business for himself. Last year I was visiting family back in PA, I asked the brother-in-law about the guy. BIL is an attorney and knows about all the scuttlebutt in the area, told me the guy charged a customer $68,000 for a new heating system in their home and got sentenced to some time in the pen for extortion or some such charge. I told BIL, I could understand if he had charged $6,800 for the system, but 68k was a bit to much.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Careful about that! I worked with a guy back a long time ago, '70s, that went in business for himself. Last year I was visiting family back in PA, I asked the brother-in-law about the guy. BIL is an attorney and knows about all the scuttlebutt in the area, told me the guy charged a customer $68,000 for a new heating system in their home and got sentenced to some time in the pen for extortion or some such charge. I told BIL, I could understand if he had charged $6,800 for the system, but 68k was a bit to much.
I wouldn't give them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Wife dropped our name in a box for info on replacement windows. A rep came out, gave us the spiel, measured all of our windows and qouted us $32,000.00. I declined.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
i learned a long time ago if i am going to hire someone to do something for me i want a set max price up front.....i don't care if its a bit higher...it keeps me from second guessing their work ethic..and bathroom breaks.....all i worry about then is quality and that gets discussed up front also...they might as well know what i expect

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I wouldn't give them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Wife dropped our name in a box for info on replacement windows. A rep came out, gave us the spiel, measured all of our windows and qouted us $32,000.00. I declined.
Might have been the people agreed to time and material, not realizing to never do that with home repairs. Some serious padding of the bill going on with that. OTOH, you can buy a heck of a lot of windows for 32k.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
i learned a long time ago if i am going to hire someone to do something for me i want a set max price up front.....i don't care if its a bit higher...it keeps me from second guessing their work ethic..and bathroom breaks.....all i worry about then is quality and that gets discussed up front also...they might as well know what i expect
I would much rather give a set quote than charge by the hour. I learned from doing state and fed jobs about line item bidding. All written out and agreed upon from the start. That includes payment schedules. There are times by the hour is the only way to go because the customer doesn't really know what they want, but that would be on a weekly if not daily basis.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Might have been the people agreed to time and material, not realizing to never do that with home repairs. Some serious padding of the bill going on with that. OTOH, you can buy a heck of a lot of windows for 32k.
If I had that much money, I'd buy a new 1 ton work van. Had not priced them but would hope they could be had for that much.

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Smooth that's real nice work on the gate. You're no amateur sir, got that carpenter gene, damn shame about the sammich though.

Dialbro the hockey puck bit was quality material. My olde lady puts far, far too much mayonnaise on mine every time, feckin grosses me out.

Well works been interesting lately. Pops and I accepted an offer to join forces full time with another older fellow and his son, we started Wednesday.

They get into all sorts of stuff and stay covered up year round. Same guys that we helped on the water treatment facility a few weeks back, good dudes, and steady paychecks will be nice for a change.

We had been teamed up with two other guys for 6 years that I've been watching spiral out of control over the last 2. One is a drunk do nothing jerk that tries to rip off everyone who is unlucky enough to cross his path, the other is a goodhearted guy who I've always enjoyed working with but he has a serious meth problem these days.

In the end it was time for a change as their prioritys are leading them down a dark road and I
no longer want to be along for the ride.

Just had unexpected company show up and will wrap it up for now.

Enjoy your weekend Sirs.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Smooth that's real nice work on the gate. You're no amateur sir, got that carpenter gene, damn shame about the sammich though.
Thanks Bro Wanka, but I'm not too sure about that carpenter gene. You guys seem to work too hard, perhaps in a different life.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Hard to believe it's been about 6 weeks since I started the 2x4 project. I got the top all glued together and roughly flat. Then left it leaned in the corner while I farted around with other stuffs, so that the lady who never makes sandwich would stop yelling at me. But was able to get the legs and bases glued together and started cutting the 1" wide mortises to accept the stretchers. Then had to stop to mow the lawn......
2x4 bases.jpg

Bases will need a couple of mortises to accept the ends of the legs..
2x4's II.jpg

roughed out the mortise with a 1' forstner bit

2x4's IV.jpg

clamped a guide board on the edge and chiseled out the rest
2x4's III.jpg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I had to mow the grass, that meant I had to stop work on the sunroom, temporarily, but I did get on the roof and hopefully fix where it was leaking. Might find out if I was successful later this weekend, if it rains. Can't finish inside until the leak is fixed.

So, I had birds, (starlings), trying to nest in the downspout of the barn. This leader pipe dumps into the large water tank used to water the garden plants when we have a dry spell. I put screens in the drops to keep the birds out, then I cleaned out the dead birds and other stuff they had filled the pipe with. So, I'm putting stuff away and hear a bird up there trying to get the screen thing out of the drop. My BB gun is kept close at hand in the barn, because anything more might put a hole in something, so I grab that and go outside where I can see the bird, it sees me, but just looks up from what it is doing. I don't like opened sights much anymore, but am still a fairly good shot. I shoot, bird drops into gutter - now I'm gonna have to get out the ladder and go back up there and remove the dead bird - cats do not even like starlings.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
now I'm gonna have to get out the ladder and go back up there and remove the dead bird
That's the trouble with being too organized.
If you put something away you're just going to need it sooner.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
That's the trouble with being too organized.
If you put something away you're just going to need it sooner.
If I didn't put it away, I'd never find it.

Hint: I have so many times had to buy another of something I can't find, but knew I have, only to find the one I had, after I bought and used the new. Brain works against you when you get old.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
If I didn't put it away, I'd never find it.

Hint: I have so many times had to buy another of something I can't find, but knew I have, only to find the one I had, after I bought and used the new. Brain works against you when you get old.
Happens to all of us LT. It's very frustrating to have to stop what you are doing and spend half an hour looking for a certain tool. Only to give up and run to town to buy another, knowing damn well the original is hiding in the open somewhere. Organization is a constant struggle. Once I'm finished with the 2x4 bench I'm hoping to build a base cabinet for fasteners only. It will be a small victory.........
EDIT: Just made myself a cup of coffee...

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I had to mow the grass, that meant I had to stop work on the sunroom, temporarily, but I did get on the roof and hopefully fix where it was leaking. Might find out if I was successful later this weekend, if it rains. Can't finish inside until the leak is fixed.

So, I had birds, (starlings), trying to nest in the downspout of the barn. This leader pipe dumps into the large water tank used to water the garden plants when we have a dry spell. I put screens in the drops to keep the birds out, then I cleaned out the dead birds and other stuff they had filled the pipe with. So, I'm putting stuff away and hear a bird up there trying to get the screen thing out of the drop. My BB gun is kept close at hand in the barn, because anything more might put a hole in something, so I grab that and go outside where I can see the bird, it sees me, but just looks up from what it is doing. I don't like opened sights much anymore, but am still a fairly good shot. I shoot, bird drops into gutter - now I'm gonna have to get out the ladder and go back up there and remove the dead bird - cats do not even like starlings.
this works pretty good for your purposes without doing much damage i use it inside the barns n sheds

22birdshot.jpg

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++

Bird stories! .. . :shit happens:

I had a woodpecker bang a hole in my T1-11 siding way up by the eve. He then dug the blown in insulation out and settled in.
I climbed up there and filled the hole and covered it over nice with a whittled piece of T1-11 and wood putty.
He banged a new hole right next to it. So I got a lawn chair and when he came back I blasted him with a skeet load in my 12 gauge. Then I fixed the new hole.

Wife said that was a _____ woodpecker and they are a protected bird. I said I gave him a chance to mend his ways and he didn't want to deal so that is that. Maybe they are endangered because they are stupid.

Haven't had a problem since.

.o_O

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I just followed the directions and shot a can of this stuff into my old S-10 and what do you know it worked.
I have like new air conditioning after having none for the past 2 years.
I realize this isn't on par with actually creating something with wood but I'm happy as fuck!

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I just followed the directions and shot a can of this stuff into my old S-10 and what do you know it worked.
I realize this isn't on par with actually creating something with wood but I'm happy as fuck!

Yooz a mechanic now!!

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Good luck on how long it stays charged.....most leaks are the main bearing on the compressor and dont get better without replacement...

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
this works pretty good for your purposes without doing much damage i use it inside the barns n sheds
BBs be so much cheaper and I am being modest when I say I'm a fairly good shot. whistle:

A brother-in-law and my son where going to shoot with me one time, with handguns. We got to my gun range and I said, 'I forgot to bring any targets'. There were some sticks laying there, so I stuck a few in the ground and said, there are a few. I let them shoot first, all the target still stood there, so, it's my turn, sticks either gone or a lot shorter. So, it's my turn to set up some new targets. I was having so much fun, just trying not to laugh. :pirates:

Give me some of that .22 bird shot and I'll take those birds on the wing, with a revolver. Trouble is, I have not seen any of those shot shells in a long time around here.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
BBs be so much cheaper and I am being modest when I say I'm a fairly good shot. whistle:

A brother-in-law and my son where going to shoot with me one time, with handguns. We got to my gun range and I said, 'I forgot to bring any targets'. There were some sticks laying there, so I stuck a few in the ground and said, there are a few. I let them shoot first, all the target still stood there, so, it's my turn, sticks either gone or a lot shorter. So, it's my turn to set up some new targets. I was having so much fun, just trying not to laugh. :pirates:

Give me some of that .22 bird shot and I'll take those birds on the wing, with a revolver. Trouble is, I have not seen any of those shot shells in a long time around here.
those loads were scarce for a long time ....seen several lately online so they must have run a batch....

thats exactly what i do wing shoot them with a revolver inside the barn any shot that misses doesnt damage anything ....have to wing shoot them because they get in cracks n crevices when sitting...... :) it is a blast...litterally and figuratively.......lol when they break cover behind you and you gotta turn n shoot before they get out it gets pretty dicy and percentages go down :) ...

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Back in the day one of the rights of passage for any of my cars was to take the A/C system out of my car i hate that fecking clutter of hoses and pumps in the engine bay.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Good luck on how long it stays charged.....most leaks are the main bearing on the compressor and dont get better without replacement...
Oh it's a risk but we'll see how it does. There was still around 12 PSI in the system when I charged it so that was a really good sign.
Enough to register solid on the gauge but not enough to blow cold air.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Back in the day one of the rights of passage for any of my cars was to take the A/C system out of my car i hate that fecking clutter of hoses and pumps in the engine bay.
Gets up around a hundred with humidity to match, hot summer days here in Ohio. I remember the days before I owned a car with A/C, now I would not want to do without. Next door neighbor has a heating and A/C business, my home A/C would not hold a charge, I have a cylinder, and gauges from way back, but could not see the future in keep having to add gas, so I called him over. He had a can of stop leak on his truck, added that and A/C has been working fine going on three years now. He went over it with his leak detector but could not find any leaks. Whatever the stuff is he used, it is still working for us.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Gets up around a hundred with humidity to match, hot summer days here in Ohio. I remember the days before I owned a car with A/C, now I would not want to do without. Next door neighbor has a heating and A/C business, my home A/C would not hold a charge, I have a cylinder, and gauges from way back, but could not see the future in keep having to add gas, so I called him over. He had a can of stop leak on his truck, added that and A/C has been working fine going on three years now. He went over it with his leak detector but could not find any leaks. Whatever the stuff is he used, it is still working for us.
I hear you Sir, being a yankee I can take cold much better than I take heat. Heat/humidity shuts me right down.
AC Pro also has stop leak in it so I am hoping for the best. Once I got good pressure back into the system all of the rattly clutch noises stopped and it quieted right down.

.:2 thumbs up:

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
An organized mess. Iknow where everything is and put stuff back in same place (almost) every time. Still, there are times when the one tool I was sure of the location is nowhere to be found. Hiave a one car garage for a shop and a Grand Caravan that I work out of. Make due with what I got.
KIMG0159~3.JPG
KIMG0156~3.JPG

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Hard to believe it's been about 6 weeks since I started the 2x4 project. I got the top all glued together and roughly flat. Then left it leaned in the corner while I farted around with other stuffs, so that the lady who never makes sandwich would stop yelling at me. But was able to get the legs and bases glued together and started cutting the 1" wide mortises to accept the stretchers. Then had to stop to mow the lawn......
View attachment 90978
Bases will need a couple of mortises to accept the ends of the legs..
View attachment 90979
roughed out the mortise with a 1' forstner bit

View attachment 90980
clamped a guide board on the edge and chiseled out the rest
View attachment 90981
smooth bro, do you own a machine similar to this?
shaper.jpg

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
No Sir, I do not. While a shaper would be very nice to have, I've so far managed ok without one. Did you know you can cut cove molding on a table saw? It's time consuming but you can make it just about any size and even cut contours like a semi ellipse, I guess you would call it?
cove molding.jpg

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
No Sir, I do not. While a shaper would be very nice to have, I've so far managed ok without one. Did you know you can cut cove molding on a table saw? It's time consuming but you can make it just about any size and even cut contours like a semi ellipse, I guess you would call it?
View attachment 91058
That's awesome. I'm guessing passes at varying heights and widths. How much do you get for the video. Charge it to my card, please.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
That's awesome. I'm guessing passes at varying heights and widths. How much do you get for the video. Charge it to my card, please.
Pretty much. The angle at which you run the board across the blade obviously determines the the width of the cove. Basically clamp a board on either side of the blade to guide the stock across. If you want to get creative start tilting the blade

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Little are better than what I have.
I have a couple router tables, however, only one router. Need to correct that.

For the type of work I'll likely ever do, a router table matched with a good router will suffice. Besides, I'd have to build on to the wood shop if I got very fancy. Vicious cycle