• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
@mayhem, I can't believe a simple project has turned into such a cluster feck on your place sir and I hate it for ya. Unreal man. I was getting ready to ask if anyone had heard from you, glad your hanging in there in spite of it all.

Dialbros the bit about home vandalism cracked me up, where you come up with some of this shit I'll never know but I like it.

Ttman I like the swoop action in concert with the tile roof, looks real good.

I had posted that we would start the metal roof on the last house we did a few weeks back. Turned out the lesbo homeowners had 2 moar lesbian friends who got the job, dead serious guys.

A week passed as I waited for the phone to ring. The following Sunday I get a call from the builder who says "hey I think the lesbos bit off more than they can chew and I had to let them go."

Next day we're there bright and early. Those gals had managed to get one sheet up on the back side as the sole fruit of 4 days of their labor... and it had 2 screws in it, honest to god.

Finished the entire house that day, framed the detached shop and put the metal on it in 2 days more.

Hit a pretty good lick on those projects for the time involved but we've had a bit of slack time lately.

Started demo and clean up on the next project today, a partial burnout 6 miles from home.
We gutted all Sheetrock today but ran out of dumpster space before lunch. This place is an absolute nightmare at this point.

We're task with clean up then removing the entire roof, changing interior layout, adding beams and then putting a roof back on it. Good gig should keep me out of me easychair for the foreseeable future.

Also lucked out and got a side job doing some siding and facia for a fellow a few miles from home. Probably starting that Saturday and we will have to roll 8 days a week to make it all happen but when your self employed i say get it and get plenty of it.

IMG_0232.JPG

Was a detached shop that cought fire. Fairly certain they were cooking dope.

IMG_0237.JPG

Cut a hole in the living room wall and chunked everything into the garage where Clayboy grabs it with the new claws on the Bibcat. Fantastic machine.

IMG_0239.JPG

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas boys. If I don't post much until then i hope each of you sirs has a merry one and happy start to 2018.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
What a freaken mess Wanka. Hope you guys are wearing some hepa's while plowing through that stuff. Good luck Bro, and glad you are staying busy.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Damn son look at that melted siding far from where the flames were!
Does particle board just crumble after something like that? Drywall too?

I fecking hate drywall, garbage product for people who can't afford pretty wood IMO.

Carry On Wanka!

.:2 thumbs up:

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
my, what a wonderful smell you've discovered!

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I hope you are being paid well - that clean up is nasty. But, it will look like new when you are done by the quality of your other jobs.

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Was told she noticed the heat was off @ midnight last night. Out of oil. She called me today just before noon. Got oil delivered. Furnace was restarted but hot water base board was frozen as were the downstairs bath pipes. 3 guys, 3 space heaters and a couple of heat guns had heat circulating by 4 this afternoon. Did have a shower valve either come lose or burst but damage was minimal.
Did not take long for pipes to seize and freeze.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
This workin man ain't working in this cold - taking a couple of weeks off. So, with cabin fever, I'm interwebbing like crazy.
It was 14 degrees f Wednesday. Log Home company sent a 70 year old carpenter out to pre-fabricate gables. Note log purlin pockets (top plate gets cut out as soon as the crane sets them in place).
Gable-trusses 001.JPG

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
That's one tough dude, and that is not an easy frame job - looks good too. I can't work in that kind of cold, not conditioned for it. We were down to 6 degrees one day and then in the teens other mornings, and I said forget it.

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
It was 14 degrees f Wednesday. Log Home company sent a 70 year old carpenter out to pre-fabricate gables. Note log purlin pockets (top plate gets cut out as soon as the crane sets them in place). View attachment 97033
Progress. A man has to eat in the winter time too.
hoarder, are the framing members 2x10?

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
This workin man ain't working in this cold - taking a couple of weeks off. So, with cabin fever, I'm interwebbing like crazy.
I've got time off because of the weather but no nuts saved up so it isn't relaxing. Life goes on.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I've got time off because of the weather but no nuts saved up so it isn't relaxing. Life goes on.
I'm not really enjoying the time off because it isn't a vacation. But, dude, you need a plan for saving up nuts because you never know.

Last night I had a dream that I was broke and stranded in what I think was Seattle. It was a convoluted dream with me trying all kinds things to get money to get out of there. Ended up is some gambling situation and got lucky (and I don't gamble).

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Progress. A man has to eat in the winter time too.
hoarder, are the framing members 2x10?
Those are 2x8's. There is an interior 2x4 wall truss which sits on top of a giant header log that will help support the purlins mid-span.
Gable-trusses 002.JPG
They used select structural lumber and screws, then clad it in 5/8" CDX plywood.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
That's how I frame structural sections also - Real wood, screws, and CDX. I've never used OSB or engineered wood products. After making fine furniture and cabinets, and timber framing using traditional joinery, I wouldn't consider it for my own projects. And that is all I do, buy land or buildings outright, and build the way I want. I've never had trouble selling for top dollar - tax free. I keep the property for at least 2 years and claim it as my homestead. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Here's my before and after (still in progress but the facade is in place). All masonry, brick floors, structural steel courtyard cover - also bricked. Commercial metal and glass windows facing courtyard. Raised the parapets to give the building more presence and hide the equipment on the roof. Even bricked what was the parking area and walled it - second outdoor space, may do some shade structures and outdoor kitchen.

View attachment 97038
PhotoGrid_1414862130979.jpg
sleeping lion1.jpg

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
There was a house fire down the road from me on the main street that only has about 10 houses for 3 miles. The street just got rezoned commercial last month, so I don't know if it was luck or intentional since the lot went up 4x in price.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
There was a house fire down the road from me on the main street that only has about 10 houses for 3 miles. The street just got rezoned commercial last month, so I don't know if it was luck or intentional since the lot went up 4x in price.
Been many a fire caused by friction between mortgages/insurance/zoning/demo costs/divorce

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Did not take long for pipes to seize and freeze.
Towns and villages around here are telling people to keep a faucet open and water running 24/7.
Earliest I ever heard those warnings come out.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Towns and villages around here are telling people to keep a faucet open and water running 24/7.

We have had bitter cold up here in MN. Wind Chills in excess of -35. Was out all day and night for 10 days straight. When you are on a rooftop and its -40 wind chill at midnight you are wondering what the FK you are doing in this trade. The only good think about this time of year there are no quotes or there are no half ass fixes. Its fix it right now and do it properly.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
We have had bitter cold up here in MN. Wind Chills in excess of -35. Was out all day and night for 10 days straight. When you are on a rooftop and its -40 wind chill at midnight you are wondering what the FK you are doing in this trade. The only good think about this time of year there are no quotes or there are no half ass fixes. Its fix it right now and do it properly.
Wow, I couldn't imagine, I get brain fog when it gets too cold. I'd be a frozen cadaver on that roof.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Been many a fire caused by friction between mortgages/insurance/zoning/demo costs/divorce
I've always heard of it as a form of lightning ;)

Last edited:

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

Winter did set upon us quick. We usually don't get cold snaps until about this time. Looking forward to the warm up this week. That's when the inside work comes about. How can there be water on the ceiling if there is snow on the roof? Some haven't figured it out. As for snow removal from roofs, those days are over with. Joints just don't move like they used to.

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
I don't mind working in the cold... it takes a little to get going but then it is OK, but then we don't get real cold even in the high country its what many of you would think as normal winter.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
speaking to the frozen pipe issue....i use pex pipe in places that freeze (barns, garages, cabins,etc) and even though it freezes i have never had one burst and leak from freezing
My house up north froze one time when the heater quit. The guys replaced all the copper pipes with pex.
Now of course having learned the hard/expensive way I clear the pipes with an air compressor and drain the well back when I shut her down for the winter.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I am sitting here in my housecoat and slippers sipping hot coffee by the fireplace and reading these posts with a smile on my face.
I started in construction in 1970 in Tulsa Oklahoma setting and pouring stemwall and footings.
By 1977 I was a licensed journeyman cement mason working out of Local 690 and I had 3 kids.
3 kids and a house payment kept me going in the winter.
I have worked in every kind of shitty weather imaginable.
I guess all that bullshit made me appreciate these cold mornings better....
You working Fella's take it easy today....

2018-01-08 07.35.40.jpg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Yeah Cracker, I got several projects in the works, not worried about doing anything right now, have worked out there about freezing my face off, not today. Think I'll go make some coffee.

Actually just freezing rain and wet snow out there today here in Ohio.

todays-forecast6.jpg

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Actually just freezing rain and wet snow out there today here in Ohio.
Same here, nice break too. When I get home I'll plug in my roof wires @ the Casa de Irons southern command and melt all the fun that has built up the last several weeks. Prolly change the oil in my truck too.
36 degrees? Sheesh man don't even need gloves for that!

:2 thumbs up:

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Prolly change the oil in my truck too.
I need to do that too. Not sure if I have the oil and filter, will have to check. However, I can back the van and tractor out of the barn and pull my truck in. Then I have a heater I can warm up the area a bit with. There is a wood stove in there, but I have not hooked up the chimney for that this last couple of years, since I have the heater. Barn is not insulated, so not much heat is retained, but it does get me out of the weather. It's calling for rain most of this week, then colder the following week.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

Not to mention the slope on some of those roofs up there. You need to be a mountain lion to get around.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
How do you drain a well back so it don't freeze? Would be good to know in a long power outage
Right around #4 on this diagram is a drain valve on 4 inch submerged water wells in my area. Most of us bury the line to the house at least 40 inches deep.
My buddy Steve made a tool that is a T shaped stainless steel rod with a notch on the end of it. It's around 5 feet long.
You remove the well cap and reach the rod down and fit it into a notch on the top of the drain valve. You turn it and you can hear the water all drain back.

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
Rocket Mass Heater with a bell or stratification chamber. That's what's going into the new house, it's a very, very, very efficient wood heater you can DIY for cheap. 10% of a normal burn for the same heat, sounds cool... it's on my list!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I need to do that too. Not sure if I have the oil and filter, will have to check. However, I can back the van and tractor out of the barn and pull my truck in. Then I have a heater I can warm up the area a bit with. There is a wood stove in there, but I have not hooked up the chimney for that this last couple of years, since I have the heater. Barn is not insulated, so not much heat is retained, but it does get me out of the weather. It's calling for rain most of this week, then colder the following week.
I was getting an Exide truck battery at Menards Saturday and noticed they moved the little automotive dept and made it bigger.
I got 10w30 oil, a Bosch premium oil filter and a quart of Lucas for cheap man, better price than even walmart.
Those Bosch are good filters too. I stopped going to oil change places because the filters they use are so shitty for months I thought my truck was having oil pressure issues.
It's not, it's fine. I change my own oil, use a Bosch or a Delco filter and my low oil pressure issues disappeared. With 172,000 on the clock 40+ PSI running and 25 @ idle.
The feckers may be using salad dressing for oil too. Bastids.