• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Just a quick heads up about gas... I talked to a guy in our Purchase & Sales department about gasoline qualities. He stated that He only buys Chevron gas, as they have the best additive in the industry and a great track record for tank maintenance requirements for their gas stations.. (I dont work for Chevron). Arco has to be the worst..... It's true that all gasoline is the same as it all meets the standard minimal requirements to go to market. However once its sold, how it is handled and stored is a different story.
Not many Chevron stations in this neck of the woods, but my retired GM mechanic Dad swears by Chevron's Techron fuel system cleaners. Have a BP cc as they are the most abundant gas stations around here and the cc has decent rewards...is BP gas good/bad/average? My Pontiac Vibe (same as the Toyota Matrix) has 272,000 miles on it and still going strong with relatively minimal repairs and financial input. Wish they still made them, but the whole Pontiac line was cut during the zerobama bailout. Hoping to get to 300,000+, then moving on to something like the Subaru CrossTrek or similar if someone else makes an equivalent quality wagon-style car when the time comes. Lady friend is leasing a very basic, soccer-mom style Subaru Impreza wagon and likes it a lot...except for some of the big brother safety features that are standard.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I got 210,000 out of a 2004 Honda Oddessy van. Was trying to get to 300K but the oil pump died and the engine soon after.

Honda Pilot is also good. Same 3.5 liter engine.

I now have a CRV 2.4 liter AWD. Smaller size. 28mpg. Handles well too.

Subaru is a horizontally opposed boxter engine (think VW - because that's where they got the design from - interchangeable parts on the older models). I used to own a 1986 Legacy 4wd wagon. It was great in snow! Still prefer the Honda line.

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Try Star Tron from Lowes. $6.97. Best stuff I have ever used.

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
Those old Sub's are near bullet proof
A lot of what was is no longer... Benz are making cheap junk, VW group are cutting all sorts of corners, Japanese quality is waning etc...

Hyundai, Kia and Mazda seem to be the leaders down here with Subaru, Toyota, Honda as a second tier. Of course there are stand out models from other brands but talking generally... the world is changing!

I lusted after a C class Benz Wagon... really nice car in most respects BUT it now makes the top 20 most complained about in the US!!!!!

I looked @ Hyundai's SUV offering and frankly it's a better car than many up to twice its price point... amazing effort that goes and handles like a fat 7 seater diesel SUV really shouldn't. Honestly it feels a bit wrong but this thing can go quite hard. Had it for almost a year now and I am more impressed than when I bought it ----> normally I have picked a car to bits by now. It has a couple of quirks but nothing really off. If it stays reliable, and the stats say it should, then you'd be nutz to buy a Benz or Audi over it... it is that good. No badge snobbery but the damn thing is so well done you can live with that, where I live a Korean car is a social faux pax but fuck those wankers, this thing is value... not cheap, but great value.

They are bringing a pickup truck out... I may just wait and see what that is like for a second car.

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
PS> I wish that the Koreans would use the French designers for interiors, same for the Japanese... they are getting better but they are always not quite what they should be. Kia's have been way too blingy for my taste but they are now a good car. Old Kia bad, new Kia good... no surprise that a lot of Euro talent is now working for the Koreans.

Ex head of BMW's M division has the Hyundai i30N hot hatch as his first project for them and it looks good.

What was is no longer...

Is this thread derailed.... SORRY, back to normal broadcast... slow day here.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Not many Chevron stations in this neck of the woods, but my retired GM mechanic Dad swears by Chevron's Techron fuel system cleaners. Have a BP cc as they are the most abundant gas stations around here and the cc has decent rewards...is BP gas good/bad/average? My Pontiac Vibe (same as the Toyota Matrix) has 272,000 miles on it and still going strong with relatively minimal repairs and financial input. Wish they still made them, but the whole Pontiac line was cut during the zerobama bailout. Hoping to get to 300,000+, then moving on to something like the Subaru CrossTrek or similar if someone else makes an equivalent quality wagon-style car when the time comes. Lady friend is leasing a very basic, soccer-mom style Subaru Impreza wagon and likes it a lot...except for some of the big brother safety features that are standard.
Can't really express a good opinion on the quality you'll get from a BP station. But I will say that the AMPM (owned by BP) has a pretty bad reputation for moister in their fuel. My wife (bless her heart) used to buy it all the time as it's the closest and cheapest fuel in our area... But there have been several times her car has refused to start. I hop in it and treat it as if it were flooded and will start right up. Seems that every time her car fails her is shortly after she bought cheap gas at the AMPM.

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
BP here is good, and Shell... probably Caltex after that. Never really had an issue with city suppliers generally. Country get hairy... low turnover.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
A lot of what was is no longer... Benz are making cheap junk, VW group are cutting all sorts of corners, Japanese quality is waning etc...

Hyundai, Kia and Mazda seem to be the leaders down here with Subaru, Toyota, Honda as a second tier. Of course there are stand out models from other brands but talking generally... the world is changing!

I lusted after a C class Benz Wagon... really nice car in most respects BUT it now makes the top 20 most complained about in the US!!!!!

I looked @ Hyundai's SUV offering and frankly it's a better car than many up to twice its price point... amazing effort that goes and handles like a fat 7 seater diesel SUV really shouldn't. Honestly it feels a bit wrong but this thing can go quite hard. Had it for almost a year now and I am more impressed than when I bought it ----> normally I have picked a car to bits by now. It has a couple of quirks but nothing really off. If it stays reliable, and the stats say it should, then you'd be nutz to buy a Benz or Audi over it... it is that good. No badge snobbery but the damn thing is so well done you can live with that, where I live a Korean car is a social faux pax but fuck those wankers, this thing is value... not cheap, but great value.

They are bringing a pickup truck out... I may just wait and see what that is like for a second car.

We bought a 2013 MB GLK350 in 2014, it was a dealer demo vehicle with 13,000 miles - the MB Certified Used has a better warranty than new, unlimited miles and 2 years added to the existing warranty - in this case 4 years. We have driven the crap out of it and it has been trouble free - it now has 93,000. Hauls ass too, 302 hp with a turbo and gets 26mpg on the interstate going 80mph - if I drop it down to 70, it gets 30+. The warranty has just expired and I'm a little concerned about not having a warranty on such a complicated car - even though the new ones only have, if I remember correctly, 3 year 50,000 warranty - which isn't much.

We were talking about looking at VW because they are offering really long warranty's - something like 7 years with unlimited miles. After TDI debacle and having to buy back 100's of 1000's of VW and Audi's and losing market share, they are trying to recover market share with the long warranty.

Might just keep the GLK and drive it till the wheels fall off. The only thing is, I like to have a real reliable ride in the stable so we can go places far away with thinking about it.

mayhem

Другая перспектива
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
You just described GM's onstar. Anther piece of fuckery I want nothing to do with.

I would get cars and trucks without carpet if I could. The last S10 ZR2 I could order with a stick shift was in 1996, on my 2000 it wasn't an option anymore. All you could get was less loaded than ridiculous.
Now my little 2013 Ford Focus I got pretty stripped, it's a great car I like it. I damn near made the Ford dealer cry. He was all wound up to sell me all the crap I do not want, I kept telling him 5-speed, FM radio and air conditioning. I don't want anything else. I was able to get it without much more than that!
One of the few still Made in Michigan too.
Back on 2003 I wanted a new work truck and had to travel out to where the sugar farms are to find what I wanted.
Eight cylinder, with factory tow package (included tranny oil cooler) long bed, vynal seats and floor mats. Farm country was the only place I could find something like that. Everything local was all cowboy cadilac style. Still have it, the wife wanted it so she sold her Acura and we kept the Pu. Now it has 70k miles on it and still runs like a top.
+1 on the Chevron gas. Also use only Wix filters and Mobil 1 fully synth oil.

Y'all should take me up on finishing my siding job down here instead on freezing your a$$es off up there trying to make a buck. There is at least 15k's worth of work left to do.

Edit to add: Here in south fla all gas is the same base product. All the tankers do is pull up to the venders blends depot and add the ingredients that they use. If you can't find Chevron in your area, parts stores usually sell the additive (Tectron) in a pint bottle. I did that until we got a local Chevron. Also Texaco is owned by the same people. Don't know about the additives though.

Last edited:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Fuckery, a whole day of it but at least it was sunny and warm! I filled up and washed my truck Friday and when I stopped at the store to get some cheekin leg quarters and green beans I smelled gas.
Lots of gas. Shit.
Went home and parked it over some snow. Gas dripping down from somewhere and dripping out the vents in the skid plate. I jacked up the back, now gas is running out!
Feck. At least I know it isn't a blown line that only leaks under pressure.
Jacked up the front gas is still leaking pretty good. Jacked up the drivers side right on the frame mid truck and it stopped.

Got out to try to fix it if possible Saturday morning. Being a S-10 ZR2 the entire bottom of this girl is covered with skid plates.
Which is really cool until you have to fix something. It's like your truck belly is wearing Morman underwear. There are little doors to get at vital stuff but if you need to really fix something it's all gotta come off.
When I finally got to the leak it was kind of a relief, I could see the entire thing, it was a small area and I had room to scrub the hell out if it with a bronze wire brush and wipe down good with acetone. And the area was perfect for a wedge shaped charge of JB weld putty. It could have been way worse. I think it's fixed, we'll see tomorrow.

rs1.jpg
RS2.jpg
rs3.jpg
rs5.jpg

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Don’t know if you guys realize this but removing your gas tank having it boiled out clean or buyng a new one really improves your old cars performance.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
you can sure see the affects of road salt...none of my vehicles show that much rust including my 2007 S10 with 350k on i ....i cant imagine a s-10 fuel tank being to expensive ...
Yeah our vehicles rot like a sonofabitch. Tank kit with all new hardware, straps, fuel pump etc is around $350.
I would have my mechanic friend do it though. Odds of me fucking something up I can't fix is too high for comfort on that job.
People burn up their S-10 fuel pumps a lot running around with hardly any gas in their tanks. Mechanics around here have a lot of experience pulling S-10 gas tanks!

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Don’t know if you guys realize this but removing your gas tank having it boiled out clean or buyng a new one really improves your old cars performance.
Due to running cleaner gas? If so does that mean the FF doesn't perform as I would hope/think?

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I almost Lol @ the Morman underwear reference. If I were feeling more jovial she'd be a solid 2 mouser.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I almost Lol @ the Morman underwear reference. If I were feeling more jovial she'd be a solid 2 mouser.
Yep. Open this door to get to the oil filter, drain plug in that notch over there......

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I've learned by now what "Can you replace a couple of deck boards?" will actually entail before seeing a job. Another par for the course idiot homeowner who even after pointing to rotting holes is his house doesn't understand the need for repair. Maintenance also appears to be a vulgar prospect as does reading and thinking. Just from talking with the chap I knew his pressure washer wouldn't work. I even told him about the damage ethanol fuel does to small engines. Sure enough he breaks out the PW and it super farked with solid varnish in the carb. In an attempt at validating my prior prophetic message to him and maybe edjumacate him in the process I pointed out the NO e85 embossed gas cap. The fukker then left me gas oil mix to use for my own PW. (Facepalm)
This is the same momo whom last week I helped load up a rented U-haul box truck with heavy wood furniture to get refinished and a couch and chair to be reupholstered. He then drove it into town, returned hours later with the same furniture and asked if I could help him off load it again opting not to re-finish due to estimates he could have gotten with a couple pictures. Keeps the economy going right? Ya'll would have had a hoot at how he just stuffed the furniture in the truck and didn't bother to pack it proper or tie anything down. And people wonder why I don't watch TV, I'm already living in a farkin CARTOON!

Anywho, I could rant all day about this single celled organism. For now I hope you enjoy the previous owner's handywork.

20171118_141310.jpg 20171118_141751.jpg 20171119_134844.jpg 20180112_150701.jpg 20180112_153229.jpg 20180112_160905.jpg 20180113_152919.jpg 20180119_173103.jpg

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Yep. Open this door to get to the oil filter, drain plug in that notch over there......

Whenever I ponder the auto makers in-serviceability I recall my friend's words from years back..."Today cars are put together by gnomes in sequential order."

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I've learned by now what "Can you replace a couple of deck boards?" will actually entail before seeing a job. Another par for the course idiot homeowner who even after pointing to rotting holes is his house doesn't understand the need for repair. Maintenance also appears to be a vulgar prospect as does reading and thinking. Just from talking with the chap I knew his pressure washer wouldn't work. I even told him about the damage ethanol fuel does to small engines. Sure enough he breaks out the PW and it super farked with solid varnish in the carb. In an attempt at validating my prior prophetic message to him and maybe edjumacate him in the process I pointed out the NO e85 embossed gas cap. The fukker then left me gas oil mix to use for my own PW. (Facepalm)
This is the same momo whom last week I helped load up a rented U-haul box truck with heavy wood furniture to get refinished and a couch and chair to be reupholstered. He then drove it into town, returned hours later with the same furniture and asked if I could help him off load it again opting not to re-finish due to estimates he could have gotten with a couple pictures. Keeps the economy going right? Ya'll would have had a hoot at how he just stuffed the furniture in the truck and didn't bother to pack it proper or tie anything down. And people wonder why I don't watch TV, I'm already living in a farkin CARTOON!

Anywho, I could rant all day about this single celled organism. For now I hope you enjoy the previous owner's handywork.
As long as I'm bitching! Picture this, I'm inside working on constructing a custom doggy door for said HO. I go outside for a chisel and sandpaper come back a few minutes later and the door is locked! WTF Dude?

Another time dude is supposed to carry in materials I just brought while I offloaded some exterior supplies then we were to meetup inside to replace his shower doors. Ok, dude walks off and leaves the stuff in the driveway then disappears inside. I finish my stuff go up to the house and try the door. Any guesses? Locked and no answer after knocking. Call him up....need I even say.

Payday? Oh, I don't have any cash on me and we've been drinking so I can't drive to the ATM.

I'm a sucker for drama man! Apparently I cant get enough. RME

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Here's a more pleasing job I did a couple summers ago now. My friend and I were the job leads, carpenters and did the painting. The homeowner owns a cabinet shop so he built his own and we installed and trimmed them out. When we started the demo the place was still in 1970 fashion with floor to ceiling mirrors everywhere. The fireplace was a bitch but was originally planned to stay. It made a world of difference. Was beautiful working on the lake. Sry the pics didn't load in the order I picked.
20160813_125844.jpg 20160813_125857.jpg 20160813_125913.jpg 20160822_133019.jpg 20170104_173319.jpg 20170104_173332 (2).jpg 20170104_173340.jpg 20170104_173413.jpg 20170104_173955.jpg 20160822_134658.jpg Resized_20160813_125906.jpeg

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Here's a more pleasing job I did a couple summers ago now. My friend and I were the job leads, carpenters and did the painting. The homeowner owns a cabinet shop so he built his own and we installed and trimmed them out. When we started the demo the place was still in 1970 fashion with floor to ceiling mirrors everywhere. The fireplace was a bitch but was originally planned to stay. It made a world of difference. Was beautiful working on the lake. Sry the pics didn't load in the order I picked.
View attachment 97505 View attachment 97506 View attachment 97507 View attachment 97509 View attachment 97510 View attachment 97511 View attachment 97512 View attachment 97513 View attachment 97514 View attachment 97515 View attachment 97516
Nice work when you can get it.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I would go back and loot the lake.

PIRATE.GIF

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
beavis-n-butthead-gif-metal-13860493-318-237.gif

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Due to running cleaner gas? If so does that mean the FF doesn't perform as I would hope/think?
Yes on cars with carbs if you put an inline clear fuel filter on and if the gas tank is dirty you will see the filter clogging and preventing even flow on fuel injected cars the pressure is to great for a clear inline filter to check it if you are having to change fuel filters often the tank is dirty maybe even the screen in the pump or the return line could even be partially clogged at the tank.

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Like your thoughts on pay pal for self employed. No one wants to pay, everyone is broke & even companies want you to wait 60 to 180 days to get paid.
Add 3% to the bill. Everything is COD. Cash, check (if bad that is check fraud) or pay pal invoice so they can pay with their credit card.
Why are you expected to wait to get paid? That's what banks or credit cards are for. If you take pictures of the work even pay pal will have a hard time canceling refunds.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Yes on cars with carbs if you put an inline clear fuel filter on and if the gas tank is dirty you will see the filter clogging and preventing even flow on fuel injected cars the pressure is to great for a clear inline filter to check it if you are having to change fuel filters often the tank is dirty maybe even the screen in the pump or the return line could even be partially clogged at the tank.
I have had that truck since August 1999 minus one year a kid bought and rebuilt it. I can imagine there is a good amount of sludge/sediment in the tank after all those years.
This is supposed to be the best fuel system cleaner on the market that is formulated to deal with all the newest fuel additives in modern gasoline.
I didn't notice any real boost after running 2 treated tankfuls in my truck but the same 2 tanks run through my Ford Focus I noticed a very good boost in performance.
Gas mileage went up a few per tank too. Big, big difference in that little 4 banger.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
you can sure see the affects of road salt...none of my vehicles show that much rust including my 2007 S10 with 350k on i ....i cant imagine a s-10 fuel tank being to expensive ...

Are you forgetting Barry's Cash for Clunkers Program. Those cars were crushed and no salvaging of parts were permitted.
That has put a premium on parts of that era of that can be found. What Body Shops use to get in a Next Day shipment can take a week or more to find and ship.

I know my '08 1500 got rear-ended, that took out the bed/box more so on the Driver's side. It took the shop five days to find a bed and they still working on finding the tailgate. Two separate items in auto body repair.
I Don't Care. The driver's insurance has me in a 2018 RAM 1500 4X4, and it's mine until my truck is completed. Glad I wasn't in it when the drunk hit my truck. Not a skid mark one, hitting a parked truck at 10pm.

ON the BAD GAS Issue :
There are states the refiners know are less than caring about gasoline products and refiners / dealers will send questionable quality product there. Thirty years ago KENTUCKY was one of those states, but the people raise so much hell that the politicians and bureaucrats made the necessary changes.

If you suspect you live in a "Dump State", r got a bad batch of gasoline I would suggest running a bottle of Dry Gas anytime you check or change your oil. I remember seeing my dad and grandpa doing this especially during winter months about every time they'd fill up.
I recall SOHIO Gasoline w/ Iceguard " You Go or We Pay the Tow".

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Zed

Size doesn't count!
Midas Member
Plastic (roto moulded) tanks are good enough for boats... problem is that they last too long I guess, too $$$ for a manufacturer... that said the plastic outboard tanks compete favourably with the steel ones. $$$ wise

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
This is the structural 4x4 that is also the post holding the handrail at the top of the stairs. Ozarkatecture at it's finest right here.

20180125_171632[1].jpg

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I think it's fixed, we'll see tomorrow.
It's fixed for now doesn't leak a drop after a week of constantly topping off the tank. I'm impressed.
I'm going to spray the hell out of everything under there with flat black rattle can Rust Stop & putting the skid plate back on tomorrow.
That JB Weld putty is some insane stuff!

.:2 thumbs up:

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I kid you not....the numbscull I bitched about above, the one who rented the Uhaul box truck to drive his furniture around the block in, must have lost his book some time ago. I just found it in his trash. I wish I could make stuff up like this. This job is comedy gold.

I wondered WTH this ring was about when I first saw it. Their tenent told me about their little S&M sex dungeon below her....It was referred to as a "storage room" by Dude. I wish I could fill in more details because this job is a freakin hoot!

BTW Andial sir, I've been teasing a buddy about the daily super cleavage shows from "titties"(My nickname for the upstairs hottie tenant girl) But yesterday I was greeted from the upper level of the deck with a half-shirt displaying epic underboob. Just thought you should know. Haven't been brushed on yet though.

Attachments