• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
The wall that the car hit is a gable end but un like conventional framing where the roof and floor are supported on the same wall, the floor joists for the second floor are notched into the 8x8 on said gable. With the cutting out of the bottom half of the joist it essentially makes them 4" joists. No framing to speak of as the 1 1/4" sheathing nailed to the bottom 8x8 that is at grade is the only thing that gave the upper carrier support. There was one 4x4 that I found in the wreckage that I think was part of an interior partition.
Wishing I didn't get into this horror show.

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Senior Gringo that chicken wire along with old barn metal is popular down here man. Me old lady is pushing me around and telling me "we" (me) are fixing to do that here. Right now I'm stalling her but shits getting pretty serious.

Sir Cracker I'm still around just been in a funk lately. That door with the couch in front is going to keep me up tonight. Mr. do you have pics of the olde to new roof additions?

Pops and son are still rollin, lots of small projects lately that arnt very impressive or worth the bandwidth.

I did buy an extendable scaffold a few weeks back. It's the Werner 8-13 I believe. Been using it with the jacks on a few things lately. Easy to set it all up by myself while pops smokes a cig and sips his coffee then smokes another cig.

IMG_0402.JPG

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Stoney , keep your chin up Amigo!..if you wanna sing the blues
You gotta pay your dues
You know it don't come easy.....
I will try and climb my olde arse up the ladder and into the attic for a photo op.
Maybe I'll smoke a hooter while I'm up there.
Tell Andial what's up homie........
0328180854b.jpg

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just an Fyi when repairing old dry plaster ceiling cracks primer the cracked area before you apply joint compound or the joint compund will break away from plaster. Previous guy did a nice job but missed
485269B7-1E31-45F9-A5D0-DC7E6F66D0B0.jpeg
56E91BF3-F18D-487F-BB7C-E4C8BA9F38BA.jpeg
5B4D19CE-CAC3-4C67-AF16-1C91991BAB13.jpeg
93D19D31-B219-46B3-9D7F-254AB374801D.jpeg
that step.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Ah, sorry to be a dimwhit here, but how do you repair those 'popcorn' ceilings without needing to repaint the whole ceiling? The color is always off.

BF

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Dial, did you tell it one more crack out of you and I'll plaster you. Hey. Whoa.
So what kinda joint compound is you using? Green/blue bucket or add water type Durabond?
This is what i’m using it’s thick and light i will be thinning it a little on my second or third passes you can use regular joint compound but maybe to thin who knows if you have it around use it but primering the open cracks is the key. Cracker my twin brother uses non sanded grout because that is what he has lying around (tile setter) cheapest guy on the planet.
BDA269EA-6BD1-4BF6-B3C1-D395BC6A93C1.jpeg

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ah, sorry to be a dimwhit here, but how do you repair those 'popcorn' ceilings without needing to repaint the whole ceiling? The color is always off.

BF
Sorry never did one of those but i have seen something at Home Depot for popcorn ceilings. My brother used real popcorn mixed with non sanded grout once cause that is what he had around (cheap skate).

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

BF
Gotta go Camo...

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Gotta go Camo...
yer funny...

I did find some stuff at HD that was 'pre-aged' in-a-spray can which worked a bit better that new mix but texture had to be there already. I have one of those gravity feed paint splattering things but never could get it to b-b-blenddd —

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I scraped popcorn ceilings through out a house. Had to repair drywall where scraper caught which was usually where joint compound was. I've been told adding some moisture helps loosing the crap. Next time I'll try that.

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Thanks for that guys. You olde feckers are the best. Man I've been hung up putting new floors in at my place. Tired and sore for going on a week straight, just about have it whooped now though.

Installing a new dishwasher today for the lady. I haven't seen her this happy in years and have been getting lots of sugars from her lately.

Side note. Guys many of you know how valuable a tool a sawsall can be. I've been waiting on a deal for the Milwaukee 18vfuel version after using a buddies. It's an absolute beast when paired with the 9ah high demand battery's.

Normal price for the tool and big battery combo is $249 at the depot. Last week the buddy who has the saw combo and knows how bad I want one sent me this text.

IMG_0420.JPG

To which I replied... "Yep and I need one, 159 would sound a lot better er though".

Brings me to this morning, went to the depot to grab a hot water supply hose for the dishwasher and I checked the clearance nook and what did I see?

IMG_1131.JPG

Couldn't believe it Happy b day indeed!

IMG_0417.JPG

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Wow great deal Will happy 40th birthday that is still very young more good times still ahead.

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Thanks for that guys. You olde feckers are the best. Man I've been hung up putting new floors in at my place. Tired and sore for going on a week straight, just about have it whooped now though.

Installing a new dishwasher today for the lady. I haven't seen her this happy in years and have been getting lots of sugars from her lately.

Side note. Guys many of you know how valuable a tool a sawsall can be. I've been waiting on a deal for the Milwaukee 18vfuel version after using a buddies. It's an absolute beast when paired with the 9ah high demand battery's.

Normal price for the tool and big battery combo is $249 at the depot. Last week the buddy who has the saw combo and knows how bad I want one sent me this text.

View attachment 102531

To which I replied... "Yep and I need one, 159 would sound a lot better er though".

Brings me to this morning, went to the depot to grab a hot water supply hose for the dishwasher and I checked the clearance nook and what did I see?

View attachment 102532

Couldn't believe it Happy b day indeed!

View attachment 102533
As a really smart and cool guy I had the pleasure of working for before I lost that job due to intoxication 24/7/365 used to say, It may not be THE life but it's the life.
Happy Birth Day Wanka.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
If silver was a lot higher err er I'd have my own outdoor crapper made of fine ceder wood. My grandad had a mess of July hound dogs, that he feed and watered daily, in a pen about 30 yards behind his trailer. About half way to that pen sat a mail box full of toilet paper. I witnessed several of his mad dashes for that box. But then there he was in the middle of back yard with little cover and even less shame. Point is I want a crapper on the back of my place not a mailbox full of tp halfways to the dog coup.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
If silver was a lot higher err er I'd have my own outdoor crapper made of fine ceder wood. My grandad had a mess of July hound dogs, that he feed and watered daily, in a pen about 30 yards behind his trailer. About half way to that pen sat a mail box full of toilet paper. I witnessed several of his mad dashes for that box. But then there he was in the middle of back yard with little cover and even less shame. Point is I want a crapper on the back of my place not a mailbox full of tp halfways to the dog coup.
When I get a chunk of time off and the weather agrees. I like to spend a lot of that time out in the hills and mountains. Shit happens..
bumperdumperjpg-2_t810.jpg

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That small fortune of clear "cedar"? prolly worth more than my hoard of silver. Looks nice Man.
Those boards are Mahogany even more $ than cedar spent $1,200 on the wood boards alone.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Sanding crew is almost finished, the boys slapped the tin on the roof today, with the exception of where dogrun meets log cabin, which will be finished after the log cabin settles.

Attachments

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Question about concrete driveways:

1. I made the mistake of cleaning my car battery in the driveway. The corrosion was white, but when I rinsed it and it hit the concrete it turned permanent red.

2. Nothing from bleach to muriatic acid will remove it.

3. Can I hire somebody to place a small veneer of new concrete on top?

4. Should I just stain it?

5. A driveway guy will paint it with epoxy for $3+ sq. ft., but the driveway is > 900 sq. ft.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Building new yard barn to reclaim my garage. Shoukd have it trimmed and sided this weekend

Attachments

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Hey Nick , there will always be a stain on your driveway. You will always see it no matter how you try to fix it.
Unless its removed.
And then you will have a patch with a different color.....again.
I suggest you remove the entire driveway and replace it with colored stamped concrete.
Here are a couple examples:

002aded94bd5cdb5cd288c116b963ebb.jpg
857f74e4bcd24794267926718c64a194.jpg
241ca267da027a00d84d9957311f772b.jpg

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

1. I made the mistake of cleaning my car battery in the driveway. The corrosion was white, but when I rinsed it and it hit the concrete it turned permanent red.

5. A driveway guy will paint it with epoxy for $3+ sq. ft., but the driveway is > 900 sq. ft.
Use sand mix try to get it for free from a friend if not handy. Make a very soupy mix almost like paint apply with a mason brush or cheap brush on the area color might not match perfect.
4BF11609-8E0A-464E-8F8E-B4C9B5CB4040.jpeg

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member

Nick,

The guy is fargin gouging you. Or trying to. $3 a fargin square foot??!!! HOLY SHITSKY. $2700 for your driveway??

YIKES.

I had a guy come out and look at my driveway and give me a number that made me choke. Wasn't as bad as the guy who is trying to deflate your wallet, but still way too fargin high.

My driveway is 1400 square feet.

Behr stain is $25/gallon. Each gallon will cover 600 square feet. Well, I wanted a coat of stain that would cover everything that made my driveway look awful, so instead of 2 1/2 gallons, I got four.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-1-gal-Deep-Base-Solid-Color-Concrete-Stain-83001/100200359

That's a measly hunnert bucks. Roller and paint pan was under $10. So I laid out $150... $40 was for the scotch I drank while painting.

Your guy woulda charged me $4200 fargin bucks for a job that would not have had two coats.

It ain't that hard. Crikey, if this ole horse kin do it, you can. And it beats the crap outa giving some fink $2700!! Lookit the guy's profit margin:

9000 square feets comes to about 15'x60'. That is three hours work.

Not bad, $900 per hour to paint a driveway. :gold:

I'll do it for $500 per hour.