• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
What's the prognosis on yer Cat, hoarder?

BF
That lazy machine has been sitting there nearly a week and that track hasn't jumped back in place.

newmisty

Splodey Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Best tool for removing buried nails is the hammer type puller - saved me many planer blades.

View attachment 103844
I too have not seen one. Actually I'm sure I have but has too many moving parts for my simple mind and too cumbersum to fit in my bags.

I'm a huge fan of the cat's paw and what some call end nipper puller pliers. The two tool one handed version of that expensive looking complicated contraption.

And Dialbro pulled out the nail by the head when he said what he said No wase money Chiya junk. NIPPON PUSSY PAW PULLER-OUTER FTW.

Dig with this:

If headless or hard to grab, pull or cut with this:

Last edited:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Construction work is usually feast or famine and I'm hoping all the working Fella's are busy as a one legged man in a kicking contest and are up at the crack of dawn and busting ass until dark thirty or even longer if they have lights and are pouring concrete!... ..

Damn I'm glad to be retired!...

Last edited:

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Did everyone retire?? I miss the posts on the best thread here.
Too busy being a workin man to be much of a posting man lately Bigs.
Working 6 days a week right now then yard work on the day off...then back to work like a good cracker.

Construction work is usually feast or famine and I'm hoping all the working Fella's are busy as a one legged man in a kicking contest and are up at the crack of dawn and busting ads until dark thirty or even longer if they have lights and are pouring concrete!... ..

Damn I'm glad to be retired!...

Good post Crackles, should have a lot more thanks imvHo.
What you say is true sir about the feast and famine. When stuff is poppin you've just got to get it and get plenty of it.

We're doing all sorts of crap lately. Last Monday/Tuesday we replaced a subfloor in a single wide trailer for a rather nice fellow who operates a honey wagon septic service. Nasty job and didn't find a single gold coin... but it payed ok and I'm getting a septic clean out from the guy at a steep discount.

Doing a deck job on a house with four decks now. Just under 800 sq feet total. We're using 4x4 fur for rails and 4x4 grid wire? for the... wire, spindles? Idk... all of this is someone else's idea and pops and I were hired to make it happen.

IMG_0694.JPG

I kinda like it actually. First we mounted the bottom rail with 6" lags that are counter sunk 2"'s into the post. Then laid out 4inch center marks and drilled 3/16" holes to accept the 1.25 inch wire stubs we left hanging.

The bottom of the top rail got a quarter inch route right down the middle about so and so deep. Then it just tapped right on down.
Also took a round over bit to the rails and eased the koners.

IMG_0693.JPG

Will be able to blind screw five of the seven sections on this deck and plan to angle the other two in somehow. Total height on the rail is a judicious 37.5" finished.

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Working 6 days a week right now then yard work on the day off...then back to work like a good cracker.

What you say is true sir about the feast and famine. When stuff is poppin you've just got to get it and get plenty of it.

We're doing all sorts of crap lately. Last Monday/Tuesday we replaced a subfloor in a single wide trailer for a rather nice fellow who operates a honey wagon septic service. Nasty job and didn't find a single gold coin... but it payed ok and I'm getting a septic clean out from the guy at a steep discount.

Doing a deck job on a house with four decks now. Just under 800 sq feet total. We're using 4x4 fur for rails and 4x4 grid wire? for the... wire, spindles? Idk... all of this is someone else's idea and pops and I were hired to make it happen.

View attachment 104904

I kinda like it actually. First we mounted the bottom rail with 6" lags that are counter sunk 2"'s into the post. Then laid out 4inch center marks and drilled 3/16" holes to accept the 1.25 inch wire stubs we left hanging.

The bottom of the top rail got a quarter inch route right down the middle about so and so deep. Then it just tapped right on down.

View attachment 104903

Will be able to blind screw five of the seven sections on this deck and plan to angle the other two in somehow. Total height on the rail is a judicious 37.5" finished.
Way cool, wanka. Glad to hear your kicking names and taking ass. Been dry down there? Heard a week or so ago there was flooding in Arkansas.

newmisty

Splodey Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Good show Stoney,
still waiting for the pics to upload on my can-string service ATM.

Guess I'll post up a recent job too while the postin's good...

Shouldn't have but the scenery was great, the kids were awesome, the wife hot and dude low stress, so I did.

The bid was to fix some sliding doors, repair trim etc. and replace the broken glass transom and sidelight units on the front door. Trouble is that the glass units were part of the original door unit and weren't meant to be separated. It should have been replaced as a unit but I'm a glutton for punishment and so...

After doing much of the repair work and prepping the glass openings and after a long wait for the custom glass. when I went to pick up the 2 units they were just single panes of glass and not insulated dual panes. Dumb kid says, oh I thought they were for inside. That's what I get for letting the HO talk me into using a new outfit. It was a big setback but another company came through in half the time all the others were quoting me, which was another 2 weeks.
The HO's also convinced me to put a new door slab they wanted to buy in the existing opening. I did so but not without quite a lot of finesse and thorough tuning with circular saw, chisel and plane however. To make things harder there was the alarm system accouterments to fuss with, remove, patch, re-install as well as new electronic Internet connected dead bolt system!

This was also my first experience with the Internet of Things in the way of Alexa. Pardon my french but Alexa is a cunt! And that friggin dead bolt alarm system crap! ERR Mi GARRD! Every freaking time a door gets opened this decrepit robot voice chimes: "ga-rage - d-oor", "fr-ont - d-oor". So there's a camera on the stupid Alexa cunt, a camera facing the front door, dining room etc, full time monitoring by the Alexa cunt upstairs and downstairs, robot cunt chiming in everytime the door opens, the homeowners get all this sent to their phones via app....oh times how they have changed. I even told the little bombshell about the Alexa cunt calls by herself and the way it can be triggered through subsonic signal and she of course was accepting of the "good with the bad".

Gotta get super stealthy on those toke breaks thesea' daze there Stoney, never know where Big Brother has his watchful eyes anymore... Peace

D3.jpg
D1.jpg
D2.jpg
DOOR B1SM.jpg

DOOR B2SM.jpg
DOOR F2SM.jpg

DOOR F1SM.jpg

Attachments

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Same here as the others. Too busy. Calls I gotta go back on keep piling up. Its currently who is the oldest/best customer with the biggest emergency. Everyone else we can maybe make it in the next three weeks or you can pay overtime or double Time. So far some are paying it some waiting but not many looking for others to come fix their stuff so must be sector wide.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
We are having extreme problems with new equipment. Mostly Carrier, but it is all of them.

Last week I was installing a new 25 ton unit. On startup I found a bad board, wiring that was mixed up from the factory, and a screw into the condenser coil, so it blew 40lbs of refrigerant. Whoever put the screw into the coil must have known and just left it. I could hear hissing from 50 ft away when I put nitrogen on it.

We installed 35 carrier rooftops this winter on a building. So far 7 have been flat on refrigerant, two bad boards, and I had to go through every economizer and fix the linkage. Every economizer was sticking open. This is within 6 months of installing them.

Over half of all the new equipment I'm installing I find some sort of problem on startup, next to none go a year without some sort of problem.

I am to the point where I talk customers into throwing money at very old units to keep them going instead of replacing. When a unit is too bad to fix I now warn the customer that "The new unit will have just as many problems as the old one did, so just be ready for that."

Last edited:

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Over half of all the new equipment I'm installing I find some sort of problem on startup, next to none go a year without some sort of problem.
That is maddening.
You don't expect a plastic Walmart spatula to last very long.
But for several thousand dollar pieces of new equipment to malfunction out of the crate is inexcusable.

I just sold a fella two manufactured in 1985 York 8000 BTU window AC units
they were ugly dirty & smelled of smoke.
and still worked.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Wife wanted our old shallow stainless sink basin replaced as well as the cheap faucet that continued to leak despite the 2 repair kits we tried using....thus is the end result after a 1/2 day of cussing....
DF151B8B-E9D7-4B0D-B77D-6DB7E393257C.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Looks like Rusty hit the crooked pic dabs too. Man pass it over here!

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I bought 192 fourteen foot pieces of 1x8 Ponderosa Pine t&g carsiding for 65 cents a foot and got started sloshing oil based satin polyurethane for floors on it. I bought 5 gallons of poly at China Depot for less than $20 a gallon. Cheapest way to buy it if you don't have to paint any vertical surfaces. It's going on the ceiling of my log cabin. The pine is harvested and milled locally. It's all graded at #3 because of the knots, but about 95% is usable.

Attachments

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Wife wanted our old shallow stainless sink basin replaced as well as the cheap faucet that continued to leak despite the 2 repair kits we tried using....thus is the end result after a 1/2 day of cussing.... View attachment 104933
Feck plumbing. I hope instruction book came with handy explicitives to use while installing.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I've been working on the plumbing in my cabin, too. I got the gas pipes and DWV just about finished. My favorite plumbing expletive is gawdamhordogslut, which I used when I dropped that can of PVC primer.

Attachments

newmisty

Splodey Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
When Big Jim speaks, we respond!

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've been working on the plumbing in my cabin, too. I got the gas pipes and DWV just about finished. My favorite plumbing expletive is gawdamhordogslut, which I used when I dropped that can of PVC primer.
everytime i see compound joints and such on drains n vents i want to go hug the guy that invented pvc drain pipeing

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
everytime i see compound joints and such on drains n vents i want to go hug the guy that invented pvc drain pipeing
I worked as a plumbers helper back in the 70's and remember doing cast iron DWV. We hammered oakum in the joints, wrapped a piece of asbestos rope around a horizontal run and poured molten lead in it. Very slow process. They had DWV in the seventies but the customer, a snobby engineer, didn't want to hear noisy turds flowing thru the pipes when someone flushed upstairs. Cast iron is silent.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

View attachment 104904

View attachment 104903

I like them hog wire railings - doesn't block the view or the breeze.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I worked as a plumbers helper back in the 70's and remember doing cast iron DWV. We hammered oakum in the joints, wrapped a piece of asbestos rope around a horizontal run and poured molten lead in it. Very slow process. They had DWV in the seventies but the customer, a snobby engineer, didn't want to hear noisy turds flowing thru the pipes when someone flushed upstairs. Cast iron is silent.
Dat's the truth... I leave all existing cast iron when possible. No one wants to hear your business - but if you live alone, does it make a noise? :)

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Momma also wanted the trendy sliding barn door (well me too) to knock down some of the background noise that comes from the kitchen/dinning area into our entertainment/family room....so me and brother built the 60” barn door out of car siding and stained in the closest thing we could get to black.....used minwax gel stain and coated it with 2 coats of poly. Hung the track and wala.....call me chip gaines
C6A2AD79-FD5F-4A29-AA2C-B927CFD1A11F.jpeg
8D82904C-844E-49F8-9751-F3A647958871.jpeg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Looks beautiful contrasted with the red. Well done Rusty.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Great Stuff Guys!! Thanks!!

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
It's with a weighted heart I tell y'all. Don Sr. came out last Tuesday afternoon telling us about Jr., said his condition had really taken a turn for the worse in the last week and if we wanted to see him we had better come fast because he didn't think his son has long to live.

Donnie had been released from the hospital 3 weeks ago and went to his folks place instead of here with us on account of his not being able to walk. Over the past two weeks he had gone quiet from giving updates on his condition and hasn't wanted to talk much.

My gf got the call Monday that he'd missed 2 consecutive appointments and his father confirmed what I'd been thinking for a spell.

He said Donnie has given up... made his dad promise not to take him back to the docs. Sr. was crying saying he was gonna have to go back on his word because Don was in so much pain and he couldn't watch his son suffer like that.

So they convinced Donnie to take an ambulance ride that afternoon to get some help. They put him in the MRI machine at the hospital where he throws up, chokes then seizes.

They kept him sedated for two day before letting him wake. Got the news last night that he has a few weeks at best and a few days at worst left on this old rock.

... Unreal how fast he went down hill. 6 weeks ago he came out to check out my new mower and smoke a doob... now it's pretty much over for my pal.

Donnie was so optimistic and ready to get back to being a workin man... now I must go and say goodbye to my friend and I fear wise and comforting words will elude me when we speak.

... So here's to Don Polk Jr. guys. A 26 year old Hvac tech, standup guy, friend and fellow Workin Man.

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sorry Will

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Will If Donnie gets roped into workingman stuff up there tell him to get half down then final pament day the job is done! none of this third third third stuff i don’t trust those robe wearing sanctimonious types. JMHO

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Giving a thanks to your post brother stonedy is sorta hard. You know how we feel though. I give Lil Don credit for not trying to postpone the enevitable. I imagine he doesn't want to waste other people's time and effort. Hard to watch someone go. Dealing with that now. Hope to die with my boots on. Not just for my sake.

Last edited: