• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
SEXY!

Tnx Silver!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Clients got some SW Flat ex latex today so I hit the bars with it.

Forgot to mention the tops! Waiting on a couple slabs of granite to top em off. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

IMG_20180827_183327930 - Edited (2).jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Painted my clients pergola today...couldn't find my spray rig hose so coughed up $50 for a 50'er at Home Cheapo. Used the same exterior alkyd latex paint from SW. $45+ a gallon! Covered nicely. The color looks a lot darker in person, as in my pic of the bar above.

Took a pic from up there of the galvi pipe bar base. Hopefully I'll get started on the top tomorrow if I don't get asked to do something else first!
Found out yesterday the pool is salt water! I live under a rock because I was out of the loop on those...can't recall hearing of them before. That explains the funny taste... I thought it was just chems. :o P

PS I pulled off their Direct TV dish a couple days ago too and left the bases on to match the one on the other side of the ridge. : P

Oh, and it was FARKING HOT TODAY! I'm wiped out.
IMG_20180828_160010518 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20180828_154307376 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20180828_160002577 - Edited.jpg

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Found out yesterday the pool is salt water!
Community pool here is salt water... good for the skin - at least the wife says so....

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Community pool here is salt water... good for the skin - at least the wife says so....
Gotta be better than chlorine!

My mom has an ozonated hot tub which is the shiznit. Clean clean clean & very little maintenance.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Say, misty, could you snap a pict or two of this fence over here for me?
Fence.JPG

Looks like an interesting (simple) design.
TIA,
BF

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Say, misty, could you snap a pict or two of this fence over here for me?
View attachment 109447

Looks like an interesting (simple) design.
TIA,
BF
Man...I was like, "How did I not see that!"

Well, because it's an optical conclusion~! Looks like it was primarily from reducing the picture size to upload. I took a close up for you and when I reduced it just now it distorted a bit ...It's just a normal, boring, cheap Chinese fence.

IMG_20180830_125519334_HDR - Edited.jpg

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Ha, ha, ha, ah, that's pretty funny.

Still — it's a nice design
like a free-form wave or sumpthin
bet it'd cost a fortune to blacksmithy it up.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got the top for the galvanized pipe bar glued up today. 33" x 10'

THe big bar was tricky to make because the slope from left to right in 8' is 1" which can be seen well under the left door.

The small bar doors still need to be adjusted for a 1/8" cant.

IMG_20180830_143206781 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20180830_171142520 - Edited.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ha, ha, ha, ah, that's pretty funny.

Still — it's a nice design
like a free-form wave or sumpthin
bet it'd cost a fortune to blacksmithy it up.
For sure, I thought it looked cool as cukes. Kind of like the sunburst patterns done with clapboards:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Need to throw in an action pic!
IMG_20180830_155418207 - Edited.jpg

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Going for Unrestricted Construction Supervisors License test tonight. Let it slide due to my physical limitations but finding it hard to make good money putzzing around. Required reading. View attachment 91542
Forth time's the charm. Helps tremendously to actually read the books instead of just indexing them. Now I can do big bithness. Yea, yea.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Forth time's the charm. Helps tremendously to actually read the books instead of just indexing them. Now I can do big bithness. Yea, yea.
Congratulations! If at first you don't succeed, try try again.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Almost ready to run it through the planer. Bet smooth has one that could handle that. Would have to ride with part of it hanging out of the van and hopefully Bunga Britches won't be driving.
Funny you mention that because last night coming home on the highway was a 5fth wheel flatbed trailer with a giant all metal industrail table saw of some sort. It was kewl man!

Gonna use an electric hand plane & belt sander.

needler

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I just lost my framing job on account of confrontation with another co-worker and I believe my boss was not liking me either. Time to look for another company.

My roof being metal and a 8 in 12 pitch, I've been putting off installing the flashings for the DWV and propane vents. Finally, after acknowledging that I wasn't going to hornswaggle anyone else into doing it for me, I psyched myself into it, throwing a knotted rope across the roof with one end secured to my truck, then tied a foam mattress to the bottom of the loader bucket and set it above the eaves as a catchers mitt to catch any tumbling clumsy old geezer who might lose his footing.
Funny I can walk that pitch no problem. I can do 10/12 on toe boards. Not sure if I ever did a 12/12. Though I have fallen off before and broke my foot a few years back.

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I just lost my framing job on account of confrontation with another co-worker and I believe my boss was not liking me either. Time to look for another company.

Funny I can walk that pitch no problem. I can do 10/12 on toe boards. Not sure if I ever did a 12/12. Though I have fallen off before and broke my foot a few years back.
It's said the fall isn't what hurts. It's the sudden stop that gets ya.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got the bar stained today after the HO flip flopping thrice (they couldn't agree) and getting the wrong product. So I ran to SW and added solids to a clear, color matched Minwax stain. Next step is epoxy!

Ran my power planer over it multiple times, followed by the belt sander with 80 grit. Than finished it with the orbital 60-80-120-220

Bar top St 1.jpg

To trim the ends I flipped it over, ran my 7 1/4" circ saw and finished with a Jap saw. Must weigh nearly as much as me - just under 200#
Bar top pr 1.jpg
Bar top pr 2.jpg

Last edited:

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I finally got the cabin somewhat closed up with new windows and a front door. The door is Ponderosa pine, 2 1/4" thick. Emtek touchscreen deadbolt. Windows are cheap vinyl Jeld-Wen.

Attachments

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Wow, it's simply gorgeous! Very clean and sharp. Something to be proud of!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Not sure exactly how this will turn out....kinda on a wing and a prayer! Plan to do two coats, it was very tacky when I left it and settled on the different wood grain less or more.

Bar top epoxy 1st coat.jpg
epox.jpg

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Not sure exactly how this will turn out....kinda on a wing and a prayer! Plan to do two coats, it was very tacky when I left it and settled on the different wood grain less or more.

View attachment 110246 View attachment 110247
Looks great man! I've done a few similar slab type projects, but a little different approach maybe. I guess I had a bit of a luxury of a 15" planer and an 8" jointer with a comfortable length bed. So I would plane each board slightly on the flat to make them true, then glue up slabs slightly less than 15 inches then plane them and true the edges square on a jointer, probably the trickiest part... Then glue the three slabs together using the old fashion bar pipe furniture clamps. Staggering the clamps with an equal amount on top and underneath helping to keep the surface flat. I never used any fasteners, just Tightbond#3 but lots of it. I'm sure you know it but will just add when trying to make a flat surface it's best to plain or sand it at a 45 degree angle to the edge of the slab (if that makes sense). Also a huge believer in wood conditioners when ever applying a stain or even a finish to soft woods... One thing I always take into consideration is ALL WOOD MOVES. It shrinks than grows then shrinks and grows again. A slab that sized is gonna move ALOT. So consideration for expansion and contraction should be taken when mounting the slab to its base. For stuff that big I've had great luck using cheap angle iron with slotted holes and lag bolts with washers. Think old bed frames for the metal.. This is all stuff I'm sure you are aware of, but thought I'd throw it out there for anyones consideration.. Again, looks killer.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Looks great man! I've done a few similar slab type projects, but a little different approach maybe. I guess I had a bit of a luxury of a 15" planer and an 8" jointer with a comfortable length bed. So I would plane each board slightly on the flat to make them true, then glue up slabs slightly less than 15 inches then plane them and true the edges square on a jointer, probably the trickiest part... Then glue the three slabs together using the old fashion bar pipe furniture clamps. Staggering the clamps with an equal amount on top and underneath helping to keep the surface flat. I never used any fasteners, just Tightbond#3 but lots of it. I'm sure you know it but will just add when trying to make a flat surface it's best to plain or sand it at a 45 degree angle to the edge of the slab (if that makes sense). Also a huge believer in wood conditioners when ever applying a stain or even a finish to soft woods... One thing I always take into consideration is ALL WOOD MOVES. It shrinks than grows then shrinks and grows again. A slab that sized is gonna move ALOT. So consideration for expansion and contraction should be taken when mounting the slab to its base. For stuff that big I've had great luck using cheap angle iron with slotted holes and lag bolts with washers. Think old bed frames for the metal.. This is all stuff I'm sure you are aware of, but thought I'd throw it out there for anyones consideration.. Again, looks killer.

Excellent advice, thank you. Thanks for the kind words. I didn't give thought to the allowance for expansiona and contraction as you suggested but I'll definitely take your advice and slot my mounts. On that note, as with everything I've done for them so far, they keep changing their minds so today I went and bought 2 more 10' galvi pipes and had them threaded 1 1/4" shorter than the others that had been decided on and installed! If I had been allowed to plan more in advance I would have done things differently for sure. But this was a good opportunity to see what the results would be from this "field style" rough method. I knew planing post with the hand planer would be a biotch but was interested to see how bad it was. Due to the time crunch I even said f-it regarding running the hand plane on each board first to mate square surfaces instead of the factory mill job. I learned after a a bunch of farked up passes that a 45* angle is better! I bought a new planer and was experimenting with the depths and made a gawd aweful time of it for a little while! Another thing is I should have used more glue. I used a roller to coat the whole surface and then and don't like the gaps that are present but it actually helps with the look of a "kinda" distressed wood look.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll be utilizing it for certain.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Excellent advice, thank you. Thanks for the kind words. I didn't give thought to the allowance for expansiona and contraction as you suggested but I'll definitely take your advice and slot my mounts. On that note, as with everything I've done for them so far, they keep changing their minds so today I went and bought 2 more 10' galvi pipes and had them threaded 1 1/4" shorter than the others that had been decided on and installed! If I had been allowed to plan more in advance I would have done things differently for sure. But this was a good opportunity to see what the results would be from this "field style" rough method. I knew planing post with the hand planer would be a biotch but was interested to see how bad it was. Due to the time crunch I even said f-it regarding running the hand plane on each board first to mate square surfaces instead of the factory mill job. I learned after a a bunch of farked up passes that a 45* angle is better! I bought a new planer and was experimenting with the depths and made a gawd aweful time of it for a little while! Another thing is I should have used more glue. I used a roller to coat the whole surface and then and don't like the gaps that are present but it actually helps with the look of a "kinda" distressed wood look.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll be utilizing it for certain.
Working for people in general has to be tough. I have several friends who do, and they all say to stay away from working for lawyers LOL... Probably good advice.. so I empathize with you folks that do it for a living. Anyways like I said your slab looks great, sometimes people have no clue how much work and consideration goes into certain things that may look simple. Nice work!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Working for people in general has to be tough. I have several friends who do, and they all say to stay away from working for lawyers LOL... Probably good advice.. so I empathize with you folks that do it for a living. Anyways like I said your slab looks great, sometimes people have no clue how much work and consideration goes into certain things that may look simple. Nice work!
:beer:

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
OK so at this point you can start throwing rocks at me. Or charge your clients more. but for every coat of finish/resin you apply to the top.. should also be applied to the bottom. It helps the slab absorb and dissipate moisture at an equal rate.... which helps it stay flat.. I'm gonna stop posting now LOL....

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
OK so at this point you can start throwing rocks at me. Or charge your clients more. but for every coat of finish/resin you apply to the top.. should also be applied to the bottom. It helps the slab absorb and dissipate moisture at an equal rate.... which helps it stay flat.. I'm gonna stop posting now LOL....
I coated the bottom too. I learned that after my hidden panel warped.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Everything Ive been doing for them has been billed at $40hr, no written contracts, no estimates. A few guestimates though! :) These are dream clients.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So as expected the first coat of epoxy was kinda nasty. Little bare spots and small bubbles all over. I decided to test sand a small area and then jumped both feet into attacking the whole surface. Started with a putty knife to take off the high bumps, then used the orbital sander with 220 grit to get the bulk of the surface even. Then used 340 grit followed by 400 then fine finishing pad(green scrubby and an ultra fine scrubby with water)

I then ragged off the epoxy dust and hit it with a tack cloth. Then applied another coat. I'm very pleased with it and the clients love it! I may even put one more coat on.

It's smooth as glass now and reflects like a sumbitch. The reddish mark on the side of the top in the one pic is a reflection of a Homer bucket.

Coincidentally the granite guys came today just in time for their party.

I really enjoyed this little project. The lady said," I had no idea what to expect." I really appreciated the trust they had in my vision.

Thanks for looking.

Bar top recoat 1.jpg
Bar top recoat 2.jpg
Bar top recoat 3.jpg
Bar top recoat 4.jpg
Bar top recoat 5.jpg
Bar top recoat 6.jpg
Bar top recoat 7.jpg
epox.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yesterday I made a quick and dirty mantle. Drilled the brick to accept 1/2 steel bar stock and cut a four footer into 4 10" lengths and hit em into the holes. Then with permission, simply rested a 2x12 atop, trimmed it with cedar 1x4 and used pipe clamps to fasten underneath. I stained it and epoxied it when I did the second coat on the bar top.

Bonus pics of the small bar. The granite itself is gorgeous but I would have liked to see a darker color myself.
Mantle 1.jpg
Mantle 2.jpg
sm bar 14.jpg
Sm bar f 1.jpg

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
just an update on my hail damage insurance claim.........claim was approved , we are now taking bids on roof and gutters....i will do the 2 windows and siding myself...
I have decided to go with asphalt composition shingles , (is that what they are called?) some Class 4 chit......i do not like the metal roof.
About 15 sqs so not to big....and 80 feet seamless gutters.
First bid was $9000...........
Waiting on 2 more bids.......
So if there is any insurance money left over , do i turn it back in?.....in 50+ yrs i have never processed or had 1 claim.....new territory for me , thus the dumb questions....
What if i took the insurance money and bough silver and then sold the silver next spring and make a huge profit , will i be in trouble?....i think i have a year to do the repairs......