• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
g-n-g is spot on.

You do not even have to fix the damage if you do not feel like it. Asphalt shingles are the best bang for the buck, BTW. <-- I did a shitload of diligence before I got my roof repaired.

The WORST is that messican-lookin' hoopy orange crap. It is fine if you live in a desert, but that is about it.

The BEST is slate. Lasts for centuries. Costs more than Croesus could afford. My sister has a slate roof on her place up in the Arctic Circle (by Lake Champlain). House was built in 1804, and the roof is still pristine. TINS.

\

She also has all wooden pipes in the house. They do not break during the 11 months of freezing winter up there.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
just an update on my hail damage insurance claim.........claim was approved , we are now taking bids on roof and gutters....i will do the 2 windows and siding myself...
I have decided to go with asphalt composition shingles , (is that what they are called?) some Class 4 chit......i do not like the metal roof.
About 15 sqs so not to big....and 80 feet seamless gutters.
First bid was $9000...........
Waiting on 2 more bids.......
So if there is any insurance money left over , do i turn it back in?.....in 50+ yrs i have never processed or had 1 claim.....new territory for me , thus the dumb questions....
What if i took the insurance money and bough silver and then sold the silver next spring and make a huge profit , will i be in trouble?....i think i have a year to do the repairs......
What lkind of condition did your gutters end up in from the storm? Got pics of the roof? Silver!? Never heard of the stuff.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
just an update on my hail damage insurance claim.........claim was approved , we are now taking bids on roof and gutters....i will do the 2 windows and siding myself...
I have decided to go with asphalt composition shingles , (is that what they are called?) some Class 4 chit......i do not like the metal roof.
About 15 sqs so not to big....and 80 feet seamless gutters.
First bid was $9000...........
Waiting on 2 more bids.......
So if there is any insurance money left over , do i turn it back in?.....in 50+ yrs i have never processed or had 1 claim.....new territory for me , thus the dumb questions....
What if i took the insurance money and bough silver and then sold the silver next spring and make a huge profit , will i be in trouble?....i think i have a year to do the repairs......
spinal, there is a big difference in the quality of an asphalt shingle that is bought from a distributor and those that are purchased from a big box store. Remember, this isn't free money. Make sure you hold the nose to the grindstone of your contractors.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
spinal, there is a big difference in the quality of an asphalt shingle that is bought from a distributor and those that are purchased from a big box store. .
Could you elaborate please?

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Some insurance companies hold back a part of the payment until all the repairs are completed.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Thanks Fella's.....
Class 4 Impact Resistant or 5 is Class 4 or 5 whether its from Lowdown Lowes or Contractor's/Commercial order or not , no?.......
One contractor uses Malarkey Shingles Class 4....waiting on that bid....
The other bid of $9000 was Lowdown Lowes and Class 4.....
Have another contractor coming Monday morning....

Here is a photo of gutter....
0906181930a.jpg
received_10156619435835850.jpeg
received_10156619436700850.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thanks Fella's.....
Class 4 Impact Resistant or 5 is Class 4 or 5 whether its from Lowdown Lowes or Contractor's/Commercial order or not , no?.......
One contractor uses Malarkey Shingles Class 4....waiting on that bid....
The other bid of $9000 was Lowdown Lowes and Class 4.....
Have another contractor coming Monday morning....

Here is a photo of gutter.... View attachment 110499 View attachment 110500 View attachment 110501
This is one of the craziest things I've ever seen...

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I ran short a square on a roof and found that home cheapo carried same line so I bought the remainder from them instead of the place that original order was from. Was half the thickness.
If you could provide any written evidence of that claim I would be very interested in seeing it because it's my understanding that the difference in quality has nothing to do with where they are purchased. It would seem to me that perhaps the two shingles were rated differently.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If you could provide any written evidence of that claim I would be very interested in seeing it because it's my understanding that the difference in quality has nothing to do with where they are purchased. It would seem to me that perhaps the two shingles were rated differently.
You may be correct in your understanding but I would not expect to get top quality anything from box stores.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Not much to report but trying to keep the thread moving. They loved the big bar top so much they want another small one to make a double tier off the small granite topped bar. Party animals!

Ripped 2x4's down to 2", hand planed the mating surfaces and glued/screwed. I feel better having screws to help hold it together in our weather. Total width is about 16.5" and length is 54 3/4"

Got it sanded and stained today. Tomorrow a coat of epoxy - Also, recently picked up a couple DEwilt quick clamps as I have used them in the past and they are Skookum as frig!
sm top 1.jpg
sm top 2.jpg
sm top 3.jpg

Last edited:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Awww cheer up Unca Walt. FTD can deliver flowers to your neighborhood. There are gutters like mine all over Florida.

Got a good bid of $6500 for roof and $1200 for seamless gutters..
I decided on 30 yr shingles instead of the Impact Resistant Malarkeys...
If the hail is bad enough to damage a 30 yr roof it will probably damage a Class 4 too....
Either way the roof will have to come off again...
30 yr shingles saved me a few more bucks...
That will leave me some change to buy about 100 ounces of silver...

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Not much to report but trying to keep the thread moving. They loved the big bar top so much they want another small one to make a double tier off the small granite topped bar. Party animals!

Ripped 2x4's down to 2", hand planed the mating surfaces and glued/screwed. I feel better having screws to help hold it together in our weather. Total width is about 16.5" and length is 54 3/4"

Got it sanded and stained today. Tomorrow a coat of epoxy - Also, recently picked up a couple DEwilt quick clamps as I have used them in the past and they are Skookum as frig! View attachment 110967 View attachment 110968 View attachment 110969
Plate joiners are the way to go for table tops:
joiner.jpg

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Is that what you have in the flower beds in Colorado? Doesn't it pollinate outside?

That is what I have in a flower bed in Colorado.
I am not sure what you are asking about pollination.

Has anyone ever heard of Malarkey shingles?.....

Is seamless guttering really worth the extra cost?...

mayhem

Oh my, Oh my.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Ya all trying to tell me that my wire spool with a piece of glass on top is not in fashion any longer? For eating ya put some cinder blocks under it, for a coffee table ya forget the blocks. After a few joints no body cares anyway.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Worth it here in Ohio, we get a lot of rain. Hail the size you got would ruin those too.
$1200 for gutters seems high to me, but I do not know much about those, I've always hired them done here, when needed, don't know how much gutter you need. Used to do a few roofs by the square.

mayhem

Oh my, Oh my.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Not sure about Malarkey shingles spinalcracker ,sir. Just a quick search shows they are one of many manufacturers. Seamless gutters though I believe are a much better product than pieced together. What is cost difference?

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I can buy standard 5" gutters 10' long for 5$ at low down Lowes...
About 125' foot ought to do me...
With downspouts and all the extra parts , I bet I could put regular gutters on for less than $200 bucks for parts.....

I could buy about 50 ounces of silver with the money I would save.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
With downspouts and all the extra parts , I bet I could put regular gutters on for less than $200 bucks for parts.....

That makes it cut-and-dried; clearly, you are making the better choice. The guttering on Chateau Sneakydicker is all extruded on site stuff. Has bested three direct Hurricane hits. That's why I am was biased for it.

One caution: PLEASE don't be the guy up on a ladder futzing around. Or even the guy on the ground lifting shit up. OK?

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Have fun with that. Any application that eliminates a joint is best. JMHO

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Been there- done that. Would not do it again. Ended up taking all of them down, sucking it up and paying someone to install the seamless aluminum ones (they are rolled out of coil stock right on the job).

The problem with the big-box store variety, 10' horizontal sections is they are steel and the joints need to be sealed completely watertight- which in my estimation is impossible for the long run. Haven't tried the Billy Mays stuff but I suspect that is crap too. A little bit of leaking doesn't seem like it would be a big deal but it is. Especially on a light colored building. The raw edges at the splices rust and the leakage will slowly but surely rust stain the side of your building.

When you finally notice the rust stains every 10', you too will wish you hadn't done that.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
We had 125-130' of 6" extruded & it cost $650. Great product & great looking.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Malarkey means nonsense so I would avoid that brand personally! :)

Yes. Seamless gutters are worth the extra cost, but only if to you. Seamless are going to come with a built in gutter guard, look a thousand times better, have no joints and are very durable. The cheao tin crap from the Homeless Deathspot or BLowes is a flimsy PITA to work with far less quailty product.

I think you're estimate is very shy. Cost in all those gutter to downspout pieces that you'll need, elbows, end caps and choice of fastening system and you'll be easily double your estimate. Now find a decent gutter guard and price that in. Then factor all the labor and gutter guard would be my preference.

That said, I personally need to upgrade my gutter system and because I have far less footage needed and plan to integrate a rainwater catchment system, I'll be using the Home Cheapo crap. I'f I was wealthy or had insurance money however I'd really like a seamless system. Like getting a double quarter pounder at Mc'D's vs a Tenderloin at the local steakhouse.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Low-Down-Lowes and the other boxes sell pvc plastic gutters..
I have not seen rusty metal gutters since I left Oklahoma....
Plastic gutters break when baseball size hail hits it.......see photo in What's Cracking in the Garden...

Yeah , me no likey working off a 10' step ladder...working on the ground is bad enough...
I could do it if I wanted but I've noticed that the older I get the less I give a shit about stuff and getting stuff done...
I don't like it but I guess I'll take it that way...

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Plate joiners are the way to go for table tops: View attachment 111008
If the boards were thinner I would have considered it but since I wanted screws to help suck it together and give extra support it would have just been a waste of time.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
If the boards were thinner I would have considered it but since I wanted screws to help suck it together and give extra support it would have just been a waste of time.
I use double "biscuits" for thick boards. I've never had my tops open up using biscuits, even going from humid climates to extremely dry climates, even after 20 years. Before plate joiners and biscuits, I used splines. Routed a grove and ripped a strip to fit. Plate joiners are quick and aligns the boards flat on top. Many ways to skin a cat.

Your method looks good, especially using softwood lumber.

joint.jpg

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
That said, I personally need to upgrade my gutter system and because I have far less footage needed and plan to integrate a rainwater catchment system, I'll be using the Home Cheapo crap. I'f I was wealthy or had insurance money however I'd really like a seamless system.
I'm in the middle of designing a rainwater catchment system right now - ordered a 2500 gallon galvanized metal tank (from Texas Metal Tanks - best tanks I've seen) a few weeks ago and it should be ready for pickup any day. The tank is 7' diameter and 8' 6" tall and I'm putting it on a 7' cistern stand and hooking it up to a 1100 sq ft metal structure that's 25' away. I'm going to use a "aquaduct" to direct the water to the tank. I considered using a wet system (works like a pee-trap) with pipes underground, but I don't think I have enough fall to make it work.

link to tanks for those in the market:
http://www.texasmetalcisterns.net/

I haven't figure exactly what kind of gutters I'm using but I'm leaning toward 6" half round galvanized. I've got to make all this look "architectural" because it is on the front on main street.
2500 gal tank1.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Bad ass, keep us updated please.