• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

newmisty

Splodey Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Bad ass, keep us updated please.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Went to a working mans auction this weekend. Its my brothers father in law. After work I would go help him hang sheetrock, mud, and tape or do pretty much anything under the sun. We would shingle on weekends. He was one of those guys who was constantly working his whole life. Well he is worn out. Knees giving out, so he is haning it all up He has a house in town and a farm. He is selling the farm, so this weekend he had an auction selling everything. I went down to help him out.

Nobody showed up, so I ended up buying all his nice tools. He told me exactly which ones to buy. He didn't even care all his tools he spent his entire life getting sold for nothing (damn nice stuff too). Just wants it all gone. Wish I had room or I would have went home with allot more.

It will be a sad day when the farm is gone. I wish I had the coin to buy it, but don't at this point in time. He will retire a good life off the sale of it.

One working man out, now he can take the rest of his life to relax and enjoy his grandchildren.

newmisty

Splodey Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Been bouncing a couple jobs lately. Today got the sm bar top installed atop the granite. (Homeowners design)

Bars 1.jpg
Bars 2.jpg
Bars 3.jpg

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I'm slow as molasses but I finally got the woodstove and hearth in place. This is a Lopi Endeavor I bought used for $400 and reconditioned. The hearth is mortar with dye mixed in. Note 6" outside air intake which is piped to the outside. Fired it up for the first time today and it went from 45 degrees to 65 in short order.
woodstove 005.JPG

Attachments

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
6" air intake - is that coming up through the floor and connected to the stove with a pipe or is it an open vent (hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like a vent). Reason I ask is I have a stove with a port for an outside air vent - the guy I bought it from said the stove was very finicky without (Vermont Castings) the outside air vent hooked up to the stove.

newmisty

Splodey Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I'm slow as molasses but I finally got the woodstove and hearth in place. This is a Lopi Endeavor I bought used for $400 and reconditioned. The hearth is mortar with dye mixed in. Note 6" outside air intake which is piped to the outside. Fired it up for the first time today and it went from 45 degrees to 65 in short order. View attachment 112531
What are doing for a finished floor? Gonna have to move the stove again? 45 already! Minga.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
6" air intake - is that coming up through the floor and connected to the stove with a pipe or is it an open vent (hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like a vent). Reason I ask is I have a stove with a port for an outside air vent - the guy I bought it from said the stove was very finicky without (Vermont Castings) the outside air vent hooked up to the stove.
It is an open vent. I don't have the OAS (outside air vent) piping for this unit and don't really like them because an open vent allows a range hood vent to operate properly, without creating a vacuum in the house (and even sucking smoke out of a woodstove as I have seen).
Hearth.com has a forum that deals with many specific design issues like you refer to. Most likely the seller of your stove experienced too much air getting in the stove without the OAS piping to restrict and stabilize flow.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
What are doing for a finished floor? Gonna have to move the stove again? 45 already! Minga.
The angle iron frame around the hearth has a lip under which carpet will be tucked. The hearth is about 7/8 thick so the carpet and hearth will be at the same level. If I did a rock hearth it would have been high enough to stub my toes on.

newmisty

Splodey Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Hey Wanka, what cha been working on? Grace us with pics?

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
It is an open vent. I don't have the OAS (outside air vent) piping for this unit and don't really like them because an open vent allows a range hood vent to operate properly, without creating a vacuum in the house (and even sucking smoke out of a woodstove as I have seen).
Hearth.com has a forum that deals with many specific design issues like you refer to. Most likely the seller of your stove experienced too much air getting in the stove without the OAS piping to restrict and stabilize flow.
I'm going to check out Hearth.com. Good points on the reason for an open vent. I went on a woodstove buying spree last year - bought the Vermont Castings, Woodstock soapstone wood stove, and a Mexican wood cookstove from Chihuahua just for fun. Not a one of them is installed :)

newmisty

Splodey Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I'm going to check out Hearth.com. Good points on the reason for an open vent. I went on a woodstove buying spree last year - bought the Vermont Castings, Woodstock soapstone wood stove, and a Mexican wood cookstove from Chihuahua just for fun. Not a one of them is installed :)
You just heat yourself moving them around right? Smart! ; )

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
You just heat yourself moving them around right? Smart! ; )
I move stuff for fun - I like heavy things and move fairly often ;) Most of my shop tools are old American iron - so far I've broken 2 tools when they fell while moving for various reason. One is not repairable (dangerous ass single end tenoner) and the other was my trusty old Delta 16" Bandsaw - I quickly ordered the exact parts used off ebay and got her back up and running. When I can't move heavy shit anymore, I'm done.

JayDubya

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Watch this humanoid robot install drywall

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/01/watch-this-humanoid-robot-install-drywall/?yptr=yahoo

"
"

The HRP-5P is a humanoid robot from Japan’s Advanced Industrial Science and Technology institute that can perform common construction tasks including — as we see above — install drywall.

HRP-5P — maybe we can call it Herb? — uses environmental measurement, object detection and motion planning to perform various tasks. In this video we see it use small hooks to grab the wallboard and slide it off onto the floor. Then, with a bit of maneuvering, it’s able to place the board against the joists and drill them in place.

“By utilizing HRP-5P as a development platform of industry-academia collaboration, it is expected that research and development for practical use of humanoid robots in building construction sites and assembly of large structures such as aircraft and ships will be accelerated,” write the creators.

The researchers see the robot as a replacement for an aging population and a declining birth rate. “It is expected that many industries such as the construction industry will fall into serious manual shortages in the future, and it is urgent to solve this problem by robot technology,” the write. “Also, at work sites assembling very large structures such as building sites and assembling of aircraft / ships, workers are carrying out dangerous heavy work, and it is desired to replace these tasks with robot technology. However, at the assembly site of these large structures, it is difficult to develop a work environment tailored to the robot, and the introduction of robots has not progressed.”

Considering there are 6 million contractors in the U.S. alone, robots like this one could be a boon or a curse. What happens when we can easily replace humans in shipping, logistics and construction? Let’s just hope Herb here needs a supervisor.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Watch this humanoid robot install drywall

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/01/watch-this-humanoid-robot-install-drywall/?yptr=yahoo

"
"

The HRP-5P is a humanoid robot from Japan’s Advanced Industrial Science and Technology institute that can perform common construction tasks including — as we see above — install drywall.

HRP-5P — maybe we can call it Herb? — uses environmental measurement, object detection and motion planning to perform various tasks. In this video we see it use small hooks to grab the wallboard and slide it off onto the floor. Then, with a bit of maneuvering, it’s able to place the board against the joists and drill them in place.

“By utilizing HRP-5P as a development platform of industry-academia collaboration, it is expected that research and development for practical use of humanoid robots in building construction sites and assembly of large structures such as aircraft and ships will be accelerated,” write the creators.

The researchers see the robot as a replacement for an aging population and a declining birth rate. “It is expected that many industries such as the construction industry will fall into serious manual shortages in the future, and it is urgent to solve this problem by robot technology,” the write. “Also, at work sites assembling very large structures such as building sites and assembling of aircraft / ships, workers are carrying out dangerous heavy work, and it is desired to replace these tasks with robot technology. However, at the assembly site of these large structures, it is difficult to develop a work environment tailored to the robot, and the introduction of robots has not progressed.”

Considering there are 6 million contractors in the U.S. alone, robots like this one could be a boon or a curse. What happens when we can easily replace humans in shipping, logistics and construction? Let’s just hope Herb here needs a supervisor.
Not worth much if he can't get the top edge of the wall sheet up against the ceiling drywall. Besides, how often do you hang a full sheet without having to cut out for an outlet or something?

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Hey Wanka, what cha been working on? Grace us with pics?
Mister pops and i have been into all kinds of stuff. We've been going non stop all year long and I hope it keeps going.

Lately we were doing footing work on a big new above ground burial crypt in Jville, same place we put the crematorium in last year. Trying to work out a deal with the guy for a penthouse sweet for when i retire to the big job site in the sky. I heard their asking near 80k per.

We laid 1600 feet of snap lock floor last week after saying I'd never get down on my knees and do that shit again. Then this week started framing a 2700 sf home in Valonia. Got the walls up and braced off today... not setting any speed records for sure but then, we never did.

Mister after looking over the pics I've taken lately at work I'm thinking it may not be worth the bandwidth.

I'll tighten up and get some better er shots in the next few days.

In the meantime, as always...

IMG_1001.JPG

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
we used to buy these for our field guys.....does calculations and answers in feet ...in...fractions (imputs are in feet/in/fractions also)...good for field guys that can read a tape measure but are slow at adding fractions...etc..does much more of course ...like pitch conversions...cheap too

https://www.calculated.com/mobile/prd101/Construction-Master-Pro-4065-Construction-Calculator.html

BottomFeeder ...that site you posted is great i have used it before but had lost the link....Thx

Last edited:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
1 yard of concrete will cover 81 sq ft at 4" inches thick...
That's the foundation of my construction math....
My math nowadays is a combination of US and metric with grams and ounces being predominate.
Here I am as a working man today...this type of work also requires math , nutrient ratios , Ph adjustments , and when grown indoors , grams per watt.

1013181525.jpg

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Boy I'd like to moke some of that grass there. Nice lookin stuff Crackels.

@ttazzman yea those calculators are huge time savers. We used to laugh at the guys who used them when they first hit the shelves.

Pops liked to step everything off using a framing square... that's the way I learned it also and it's good to know but I'd never go back to doing it that way now. We've also gone cordless on the saw's within the past year using Milwaukees stuff.
Unreal how much better life is without dragging 100' 12 gauge cords in and out of the van 20 times a week.

IMG_0941.JPG

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

@ttazzman yea those calculators are huge time savers. We used to laugh at the guys who used them when they first hit the shelves.

Pops liked to step everything off using a framing square... that's the way I learned it also and it's good to know but I'd never go back to doing it that way now. We've also gone cordless on the saw's within the past year using Milwaukees stuff.
Unreal how much better life is without dragging 100' 12 gauge cords in and out of the van 20 times a week.

View attachment 113882
What is tool to the right of the batteries with the wide mouth?

Nice collection!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
And 50 guys on the jobsite to build a house ;)
Not "guys" craftsman & apprentices! Their works stand today if a little care is taken.
Much of the Wayne home types will be gone before the 40 year mortgage has been paid off.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Not "guys" craftsman & apprentices! Their works stand today if a little care is taken.
Much of the Wayne home types will be gone before the 40 year mortgage has been paid off.
Yeah, that's right. I done quite a few historic restorations - the materials and craftsmanship are beyond almost anything done today. I'm living in a 100+ year old adobe right now with Neo-Classical interior woodwork - when this was built, it was the wild frontier.

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

View attachment 113882
Enough batteries to go around too. Hate it when they will sell you a 5 piece combo with only two batteries.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Those Amish guys are actually NAILING the sheet metal down!! I guess if you can't use drills, there is no other choice.
And on the flat. I always screw on the high - that way when the gasket deteriorates, it doesn't leak. Although, I've read the manufacturers specs for different sheet metal and they say to screw on the flat. None of the old corrugated was nailed on the low part of the corrugation.

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Those Amish dudes are trippin, too dang funny.

Changing the subject though. I've been running one of the small twin tank rolair bull compressors going on 5 years now. I think it's a 2 horse motor with a 4cfm @90 pump iirc.

She still pumps ok and runs fine but I've replaced several parts over the years. Never was happy with the output when running multiple framing guns so when the regulator went I decided to look around for a deal on something bigger but still mobile.

Didn't take long and I found this on Craig's list.

IMG_1075.JPG

It was a filthy mess that needed parts upon inspection but it started on the first pull and purred. The guy selling it was an out of work roofer (white boy) and he was asking 3fiddy.

Me feeling sorry and having been in his position many times in the past gave him full asking price with no haggle... had two cute kids that looked hungry too.

Used e.replacmentparts.com's outfit for most of the parts it needed, which included. New air filter assembly, throttle regulator, gauges, drain valves, drive belt, spark plug, and fresh oil in the motor and pump.

IMG_1079.JPG

That little valve there was the key to making the engine kick up and down properly when compressing and effectively made it operate as if it were brand new again.

All told I'm in it for a tad over 5 at this point. Used it last week on the frame gig for the first time and absolutely love it. Thats the 9cfm pump with the aluminum block, effectively doubling my output over my old unit and then some.

Also picked up the rolair keg last week. Ten gallon reserve tank with triple outputs which give me lots of volume now. Super cool set up that can go anywhere.

IMG_1077.JPG

That's the best belt Napa had in my size there and they were sure feckin proud of it.

Used 4 gallons of gas in its first week under new ownership... not bad!