• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Seriously, the #1 key to a flawless caulking bead is to leave the big tube and caulking gun on the truck. Use a small squeeze-tube(s) so you have some control. Neatly trim the nozzle. Then use a wetted finger for tooling.

If the gap is bigger than your finger, fix that first.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
1541264357461.png

1541264376823.png

1541264476056.png
1541264408242.png

1541264454405.png

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
TRue story..
I was helping a customer who had bought a prehung exterior door make sure she had everything that her handyman would need for installation...
The door was on the cart , I'm holding her doorknobs , insulation , and caulk when I bent over to pick up a pack of wood shims , I dropped the caulk...
Lady , would you please hold my caulk so I can get the shims?......true.

pam-anderson-tooltime-491x730.png

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Is that an old Pam Anderson?

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Seriously, the #1 key to a flawless caulking bead is to leave the big tube and caulking gun on the truck. Use a small squeeze-tube(s) so you have some control. Neatly trim the nozzle. Then use a wetted finger for tooling.

If the gap is bigger than your finger, fix that first.
Seriously....let me get this right.......a small caulker is better than a big caulker (cause its easier to control)..........and if the crack is to big get a smaller crack ........ :)

but Seriously......if i have to do some caulking that has to look really good i usually tape off both sides....apply the caulk .....then tool it with anything correctly shapped ...use a small spoon/finger etc a lot .....for lubricant i use dawn dishwashing detergent...then pull the tape .....sometimes i will dip a paint brush in dawn to go back over it .....key is the lubricant... keeps everyone happy ...:)

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
ill put my caulk work up against anyone's with confidence that your work may be as good but it damn sure isn't going to be any better er than my stuff.

You guys have hit on a few of the keys to truly professional results that escape the average caulk slinger.

Step one imHo is trimming your fingernails, longish nails will hit one side of the surface being caulked and make it hard to get the meaty finger fleash in the crack where it needs be.

Trimming the tip of the tube on two slight bevels that stop short of intersecting one another, on the narrow side by an eighth or so, is of some importance when calking tight cracks. Say where a door jamb meets the casing or casing meets the wall. Being particular about your tip shape and orenitation will allow accurate placement and precise bead control.

Bucket of clean water to wash out the most essential tool, a clean wet rag ( have at least 3 with 2 soakers) to keep your wipe fingers clean and wet.
This rag is kept in the off hand at all times. It should become a damp floppy extension of you after wringing it out.

You will finger rake laid caulk, wipe. Work into a 45... wipe, drop finger in on backside of same 45, wipe. Lay only what you can rake and before it skins, wipe.

On long runs quickly work back into wet caulk, wipe. If you even think about farting after the Taco Bell you had at lunch, wipe. Ok, mebe I overstated the wipe but a clean wet rake finger is of the utmostist importance.

In the end just being really persnickety about your work is just as important as any skills you pick up along the way. If you lay too much and suspect it will blow out past your rake finger take your wet rag wipe that shit out and start again.

,plus keep your tips clean guys and don't let yer meatloaf.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
ill put my caulk work up against anyone's with confidence that your work may be as good but it damn sure isn't going to be any better er than my stuff.

You guys have hit on a few of the keys to truly professional results that escape the average caulk slinger.

Step one imHo is trimming your fingernails, longish nails will hit one side of the surface being caulked and make it hard to get the meaty finger fleash in the crack where it needs be.

Trimming the tip of the tube on two slight bevels that stop short of intersecting one another, on the narrow side by an eighth or so, is of some importance when calking tight cracks. Say where a door jamb meets the casing or casing meets the wall. Being particular about your tip shape and orenitation will allow accurate placement and precise bead control.

Bucket of clean water to wash out the most essential tool, a clean wet rag ( have at least 3 with 2 soakers) to keep your wipe fingers clean and wet.
This rag is kept in the off hand at all times. It should become a damp floppy extension of you after wringing it out.

You will finger rake laid caulk, wipe. Work into a 45... wipe, drop finger in on backside of same 45, wipe. Lay only what you can rake and before it skins, wipe.

On long runs quickly work back into wet caulk, wipe. If you even think about farting after the Taco Bell you had at lunch, wipe. Ok, mebe I overstated the wipe but a clean wet rake finger is of the utmostist importance.

In the end just being really persnickety about your work is just as important as any skills you pick up along the way. If you lay too much and suspect it will blow out past your rake finger take your wet rag wipe that shit out and start again.

,plus keep your tips clean guys and don't let yer meatloaf.
Also a dripless gun is paramount. I prefer one that has a long pin riveted on to pierce the foil seals that many tubed products have.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The hardest part of applying caulk is getting the edges clean. Taping works sometimes, other times it makes a mess when you peel it off. I've always used the tubes of Dap for more control, it really does make it easier, but I found that there isn't any quality caulk that lasts which is available in a tube. Fingers seem better than tools because as you go down the line, caulk piles up in front of the finger/tool and it's easier to control with finger.
Now when I build a house I always buy one piece fiberglass tubs and showers and beef them up with more mat and resin on the back.

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Busted tail all week at work and were pretty bushed. Got the rare opportunity tonight to take both of my daughters to a movie together as my oldest lives with her bf (a good young man) and usually has other stuff going on these days.

My youngest picked the flick and chose the Nutcracker. Figured I'd have a hard time setting through it but we get in there and they had totally remodeled the theater. Each of the 150 seats are now a push button power leather recliner.

IMG_1161.JPG

Made that 60 dollar tab a bit less bitter. They enjoyed a movie with pops, I enjoyed relaxing with my gals.

Good times.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Busted tail all week at work and were pretty bushed. Got the rare opportunity tonight to take both of my daughters to a movie together as my oldest lives with her bf (a good young man) and usually has other stuff going on these days.

My youngest picked the flick and chose the Nutcracker. Figured I'd have a hard time setting through it but we get in there and they had totally remodeled the theater. Each of the 150 seats are now a push button power leather recliner.

View attachment 115619

Made that 60 dollar tab a bit less bitter. They enjoyed a movie with pops, I enjoyed relaxing with my gals.

Good times.
Nice way to spend the evening. Did you stay awake through the whole thing? I saw a live performance and snoozed through a good half hour.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Just put this spec home up for sale. I bought 2 homes from a builder and my girl went in and managed the post-closing upgrades such as the 6cm quartz countertops and backsplash. She even laid the backsplash herself including cutting the glass tiles. In addition, she did all of the staging in the pictures and took most of them. She is very talented. I installed the pendant lights.

The second home is almost finished and will post next week.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...arsons-St_Port-St-Lucie_FL_34953_M57933-05895

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just put this spec home up for sale. I bought 2 homes from a builder and my girl went in and managed the post-closing upgrades such as the 6cm quartz countertops and backsplash. She even laid the backsplash herself including cutting the glass tiles. In addition, she did all of the staging in the pictures and took most of them. She is very talented. I installed the pendant lights.

The second home is almost finished and will post next week.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...arsons-St_Port-St-Lucie_FL_34953_M57933-05895
The feminine touch.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

View attachment 115619

Good times.
Mr. Fancy Boots and new jeans :) Nothing like getting comfortable...

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Mr. Fancy Boots and new jeans :) Nothing like getting comfortable...
The seating sure have changed since I was last at a theater!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Out here in the sticks, the only theater has wood folding seats - and no Hollywood movies, just "art" films. I've seen one and it was on local wildlife and mountain lions, enjoyed it.
You ever see a ML in the wild Mr Silver?

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Saw a glimpse of ML from the road. See bobcats fairly often, even roadkill. Javelins, mountains goats, elk, deer, and an occasional bear. This blackbear was spotted recently - they used to be around here way back...

I didn't know you had Elk in West Texas. Were they privately or publicly re-introduced? I saw a Jaguarundi down in Big Bend NP around 2003. Park officials didn't believe me.
Sorry for the thread drift.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I didn't know you had Elk in West Texas. Were they privately or publicly re-introduced? I saw a Jaguarundi down in Big Bend NP around 2003. Park officials didn't believe me.
I don't know the history on elk, but my guess would be privately re-introduced, even though they were native to this area historically. You can click on the vid and see some elk vids from the same ranch.

Park Rangers are know it alls, unless they saw it, it didn't happen. I'm the drifter.

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Nice way to spend the evening. Did you stay awake through the whole thing? I saw a live performance and snoozed through a good half hour.
Sorry to leave you hangin Sir Hammers. Been runnin all day. Yep stayed alive for the whole thing, had the 7 dollar 48 ounce DoctorPepp to keep me going! Gals thought is was a "cute" movie and if pressed I'd prolly agree. Not my cup of tea though.

Sir Hordy were all workin men in this thread and as such fell free to talk about what ever the hell you want. We don't take shit off nobody round these parts.

Back around 05 I was framing in Scott. Early one morning on the way in we spotted a full growed black panther setting just out from the tree line maybe 150 yards off the gravel road. We stopped and watched him/her for several minutes as it studied us until it casually cloaked back into the woodwork.

Game and fish says there is no such thing in these parts. I'm here to say there damn sure is and they are big scary looking bastards.

It's said they reintroduced elk here in Ar several years back, I've yet to see one.

Late edit to add. During the 18hundos black bear were so plentiful in Arkansas that it was dubbed "The Bear State". Of course they were taken to near extinction from hunters who came here from far and wide, until becoming a managed species upon the founding of the AGAFC.

Last edited:

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
To many Montanans, Bears, Lions and Wolves are regarded as "varmints" like Possums and Skunks and shot accordingly. There are more than plenty of all three. Teevee programming suggests that the predators are nearly extinct and should be revered, but having lived here many years and observed their number and habits I tend to agree with Montana ranchers.
In the frontier days, unless you were rich enough to own a Jersey cow and a butter churn, Bears were the main source of fat for fryin'. Indians put it in their hair. It's a very high quality fat and well suited for protecting your leather products.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sorry to leave you hangin Sir Hammers. Been runnin all day. Yep stayed alive for the whole thing, had the 7 dollar 48 ounce DoctorPepp to keep me going! Gals thought is was a "cute" movie and if pressed I'd prolly agree. Not my cup of tea though.

Sir Hordy were all workin men in this thread and as such fell free to talk about what ever the hell you want. We don't take shit off nobody round these parts.

Back around 05 I was framing in Scott. Early one morning on the way in we spotted a full growed black panther setting just out from the tree line maybe 150 yards off the gravel road. We stopped and watched him/her for several minutes as it studied us until it casually cloaked back into the woodwork.

Game and fish says there is no such thing in these parts. I'm here to say there damn sure is and they are big scary looking bastards.

It's said they reintroduced elk here in Ar several years back, I've yet to see one.

Late edit to add. During the 18hundos black bear were so plentiful in Arkansas that it was dubbed "The Bear State". Of course they were taken to near extinction from hunters who came here from far and wide, until becoming a managed species upon the founding of the AGAFC.
I've seen the elk up in Jasper.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++

When we lived in Mo there were many sightings of big cats, the wife had one cross the road in front of her. .gov said the same thing, no cats here... neighbor had pictures of one in his driveway.. We also saw bears.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Maybe I will climb my old arse up on the roof and look at the nail depth and angle.....in 10 more years I won't give a rat's ass...

I need to buy a sawzall for a project...
Any suggestions?.....DeWalt?...

Will only be used once or twice a year and one of my boys will get it in the will...

A good used one is fine with me....
I do not want no cheapo crap.....

Thanks.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Maybe I will climb my old arse up on the roof and look at the nail depth and angle.....in 10 more years I won't give a rat's ass...

Will only be used once or twice a year and one of my boys will get it in the will...

Thanks.
Ive always loved the Milwaukee, I beat the snot out of them and they love it. Those walked away however and I found my self the owner of a Dewilt 20v cordless recip saw. I cut that bathroom above apart with it and used it up on a roof to cut a hole in a gable wall for a vent. The cordless feature is notably liberating and quite gratifying. I would recommend either of those. The former can be found inexpensively at many pawn shops and Ebay.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Thanks.
Sure, DeWalt is good. That's what I use. Has quick change blade. I always install blade so teeth are on the flat side of the casing. There are models that allow youser to change chuck direction.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I've got an 18v dewilt but no batteries or charger...found it hiking...I'll use it for a back-up...lol..like I need one...but if I buy a battery and charger for the 18v , maybe I will sell it ....
I have a 5 piece 18v set that includes the reciprocating saw. Thing is a beast. When batteries crapped out, I was afraid that I'd have to get new tools considering dollar cost average of batteries. Low and behoed, I found a pair of batteries for 89 smackers.

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I've been using the Milwaukee 18v fuel brushless with the 9 amp hour high demand battery for about a year now Crackers. It's a damn serious demo tool that makes me money every day.

I've posted about having one in my closet recently that's never been opened. I caught them on clearance at my local Home Depot awhile back, bought 3, and sold one for a slight profit to a fellow crafts person.

Not sure what shipping would run but I'd let a sir like you at it, at cost, plus shipping if your interested. Certainly an heirloom quality tool imho that will suprise the shit out of you the first time you use it.

I'm in it for 137 after tax. That's slightly more than the 9.0 battery cost alone.

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

If not interested no hard feelings bro but these things are the real deal.

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Back on the crypt project this morning. Preping the ceiling for a concrete lid pour. Didn't make it far and and got serious rain again about 11... called it a Monday.

IMG_1169.JPG

Notched 3 4inch i beams into the block work there and doubled the steel sheets, will rebar the shit out of it tomorrow and pour.

Got a crew of white boys out of Texas doing the rock work and setting the crypts.

IMG_1168.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

Fairly teadious looking stuff watching those guys work.

Long ways to go yet.
IMG_1170.JPG

We still have a crap ton of concrete work in the walk ways and such after those guys wrap it up.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I know nothing about crypts. Are all those cubes for bodies? Is it communal?