• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
PS That "soaking tub" cost a couple ounces Au and the faucet (not installed yet) more than half an ounce Au.
Funny thing about bathtubs...you can buy a standard five foot tub for a couple hundred bucks and it's just the right size for a midget (it fits in a 5' space but is a little over 4' inside). If you want a six foot tub, just barely long enough for normal people (not Chinese) to bathe in, it cost four times as much, even for the most basic one out there. I never understood the math.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Funny thing about bathtubs...you can buy a standard five foot tub for a couple hundred bucks and it's just the right size for a midget (it fits in a 5' space but is a little over 4' inside). If you want a six foot tub, just barely long enough for normal people (not Chinese) to bathe in, it cost four times as much, even for the most basic one out there. I never understood the math.
I've seen 4' tubs. Couldn't understand the concept.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Got to see the new bathroom today after the glass and tub install. Quite a difference from before and after. Just waiting for the counter top for the vanity now. Love the feeling of accomplishment these renovation builds bring. The HO are very happy and excited. Been a long time coming after architects and contractors kept dropping the ball.

PS That "soaking tub" cost a couple ounces Au and the faucet (not installed yet) more than half an ounce Au.

View attachment 119341

View attachment 119340

View attachment 119342
View attachment 119342

View attachment 119344 View attachment 119345
Nice bathroom - like the herringbone on the floor. Slick.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
"Women and roofing shingles are a lot alike.
If you don't nail them well enough they'll end up over at the neighbors."

mayhem

RIP 9/6. Anything new is posted by his widow.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Started another project on Beaver Lake. I must say it's a beautiful office space! Couple just moved in and need to address the wooden deck posts simply stuck in the ground. One post was down to a half inch of good wood. Cutting the posts off a foot above grade, digging down 18 " and pouring a new pier w/ 4 rods of rebar wire tied together inside. Going to repair 10 posts and add cross bracing. Also building a small handicapped ramp in front.

STPR3.jpg
STPR4.jpg
STPR5.jpg
STPR6.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The view

STPR1.jpg
STPR2.jpg
STPR7.jpg
STPR8.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Last edited:

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Dang. Real nice, misty. You wouldn't even want to guess what those would sell for here in snowflake city.
Are those 4X4s in the deck photos? The rotted off ones? Is it just the perspective of the photo or is that deck 15 - 20 feet off the ground? And no cross braces? Looks like overload city when you get more than six people on it. [no dancing please]

Always curious,
BF

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Dang. Real nice, misty. You wouldn't even want to guess what those would sell for here in snowflake city.
Are those 4X4s in the deck photos? The rotted off ones? Is it just the perspective of the photo or is that deck 15 - 20 feet off the ground? And no cross braces? Looks like overload city when you get more than six people on it. [no dancing please]

Always curious,
BF
They are in between a 4x4 & 6x6. Cheap construction.

Just over 20' from the ground at the buildings end with no cross bracing on the big deck and wood to dirt contact. Thankfully the ballusters are up to code on the big deck because two 1 1/2 year old twins showed up the other day sticking their faces through them. The small deck, ironically smaller and closer to the ground, actually is crossbraced but the ballusters are like 7" apart as opposed to 4" as you can see in this pic.

STPR9.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Legs are still sore from sliding down that embankment for 3 days straight carrying bags of concrete. Total PITA trying to get stable on gravel and leaves on a 30*-45* slope.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Lookin good, rusty. I bet that's one you could crawl underneath in an earthquake. :inspector:

BF

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Completely unfinished underneath...I made a box out of 2x4s to attach to outside of legs...then ran 2x4 "joists" 16 inch on center...topped that with 5/8" plywood...then used highest quality pine boards (mix of 1x2,1x3,1x4 and 1x6) that I glued to the plywood and drew down tight with 1" screws from underneath...skirted the outside with high quality pine 1x6.....I believe the table was 42x60...32 inches high....just a rookie....oldest daughter left for college so I only have one left at home keeping me busy...more shop time..lol

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just finished some door/cracking repairs due to settling. Had to pop off the casings, cut free the jambs and rehang. The one door settled out of level 1 1/4 inches. I had to power plane the top of the casing to lift it up enough within the framing to make it right. The thin blue prybar pictured is great for casing removal.

Door after settling

IMG_20190109_121241063.jpg

Cut caulk & paint with a utility knife, then slip in this thin style prybar and gently work it

IMG_20190110_142106642.jpg

It's thankfully far out of level in the frame so I had room to shove it up on the right
IMG_20190110_144623054.jpg

These doors were pooched too. None of them would operate properly
IMG_20190109_124958371.jpg

The worst door as pictured above back together pre paint. Nothing I could do about the daylight coming through due to the position of the catch.
IMG_20190110_160434909.jpg

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Just finished some door/cracking repairs due to settling. Had to pop off the casings, cut free the jambs and rehang. The one door settled out of level 1 1/4 inches. I had to power plane the top of the casing to lift it up enough within the framing to make it right. The thin blue prybar pictured is great for casing removal.

Door after settling

View attachment 122558

Cut caulk & paint with a utility knife, then slip in this thin style prybar and gently work it

View attachment 122556

It's thankfully far out of level in the frame so I had room to shove it up on the right
View attachment 122555

These doors were pooched too. None of them would operate properly
View attachment 122557

The worst door as pictured above back together pre paint. Nothing I could do about the daylight coming through due to the position of the catch.
View attachment 122554
What the hay caused so many doors to be out of whack?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Tools used:
What the hay caused so many doors to be out of whack?
Best guess is the perimeter of the slab has footings, the "field" of the slab does not, and the dirt/gravel under layment was not compacted enough. The area of the bad door looked like a point load from the cathedral ceiling above and the other doors also likely was under framed for the weight of the framing above. More cookie cutter construction as usual.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Tools used:

Best guess is the perimeter of the slab has footings, the "field" of the slab does not, and the dirt/gravel under layment was not compacted enough. The area of the bad door looked like a point load from the cathedral ceiling above and the other doors also likely was under framed for the weight of the framing above. More cookie cutter construction as usual.
Floors level or do they follow walls? Place looks kinda new.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Floors level or do they follow walls? Place looks kinda new.
The floor was off too but not as bad as the door. The floors had also been replaced after a flood. I'll try to remember to ask the homes age, and it is relatively newer. I've got more work there.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Our offer was accepted on a house. Real estate buddy about a month ago gave me a call and said I had to go look at a home with him. Its about 10 min away from my current house.

This house is in one of the best neighborhoods in the metro we live in. It is on a private road and sits on 1.6 acres of woods. The house is in good shape but hasn't been updated since the 70s. New roof, new furnace, and sits on a high elevation. Same owners since 72. They just inherited a house so they will be moving into that one. The old timer hates real estate agents, so he was selling it on his own. Turns out we went to the same college. He was asking 350, but took 317.

Anyway this working man will be busy as all hell. Will be changing windows, kitchen, bathroom, carpet, and painting. Will try not to hire anything out.

Going from a house that you can hear your neighbors sneeze to one that is dead quiet and still with an easy commute. We can also have 1 chicken per 1/10 acre.

Remodeled houses in the area sell in the 500-600k range and that is without the large wooded lot.

I owe it all to my buddy. He is doing all the work for no commission what so ever. I did get him to agree that I would put a new A/c in his house this summer.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Our offer was accepted on a house. Real estate buddy about a month ago gave me a call and said I had to go look at a home with him. Its about 10 min away from my current house.

This house is in one of the best neighborhoods in the metro we live in. It is on a private road and sits on 1.6 acres of woods. The house is in good shape but hasn't been updated since the 70s. New roof, new furnace, and sits on a high elevation. Same owners since 72. They just inherited a house so they will be moving into that one. The old timer hates real estate agents, so he was selling it on his own. Turns out we went to the same college. He was asking 350, but took 317.

Anyway this working man will be busy as all hell. Will be changing windows, kitchen, bathroom, carpet, and painting. Will try not to hire anything out.

Going from a house that you can hear your neighbors sneeze to one that is dead quiet and still with an easy commute. We can also have 1 chicken per 1/10 acre.

Remodeled houses in the area sell in the 500-600k range and that is without the large wooded lot.

I owe it all to my buddy. He is doing all the work for no commission what so ever. I did get him to agree that I would put a new A/c in his house this summer.
Way, davy. Post pics when u can. Maybe smooth can pick us up and we'll give ya a hand. Make a weekend out of it.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

You just can't go wrong on a deal like that. If you ever sell, your remodeling labor will be very generously compensated and TAX FREE. Be careful in selecting upgrade appliances and building materials as most new stuff is much poorer quality than the originals.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
You just can't go wrong on a deal like that. If you ever sell, your remodeling labor will be very generously compensated and TAX FREE. Be careful in selecting upgrade appliances and building materials as most new stuff is much poorer quality than the originals.
Got a amish cabinet maker that is a friend of the family. Does amazing work. Completely agree the quality is gone. The appliances are their original when they first moved in. Lets see new ones last 1/4 of that time.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The cabin has settled almost 2" since it was stacked a year ago, but I noticed something odd....it has not settled at all in the last 6 weeks. I want to let it settle another 1/4" or so before I lock everything down. I have been heating with the wood stove, keeping it around 60 degrees while working on the inside.
So I think the logs are distorted a little from being cold on one side and hot on the other, like a bi-metal spring in a thermostat. Maybe slightly concave log walls on the inside, binding against the 5/8" steel pins and not letting it settle any more.
When I get caught up in a few days I'll quit heating it and see if the logs will "relax" a little and allow it to settle some more. A colder roof will hold snow better and maybe the weight of a good snow will help things along.
stove 001.JPG

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
anyone have a idea on how to tint polyurethane for a match?

have older cedar cleared t&g matching with new cedar cleared. The older of course is aged darker and yellowish compared to new

was reusing some cedar and did not have enough to finish a section working on.

Was thinking of a idea to tint the poly rather than staining then going over the poly.

TIA

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
anyone have a idea on how to tint polyurethane for a match?

have older cedar cleared t&g matching with new cedar cleared. The older of course is aged darker and yellowish compared to new

was reusing some cedar and did not have enough to finish a section working on.

Was thinking of a idea to tint the poly rather than staining then going over the poly.

TIA
All I know is oil based polyurethane. If the old stuff is yellowish and sands without clogging, it's probably oil based. Just pre-paint the new cedar t&g with the same oil based clear poly and leave it in direct sunlight for a couple weeks or until it tans to match.