• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Very nice work...but 2 months??? Feel like I'm missing something.

Not sure if link works for non subscribers:

Dead Reckoning Craftsmanship
By Howard Brickman
DOWNLOAD THE PDF VERSION OF THIS ARTICLE. (662.82 KB)

The compass rose is the focal point of an eight-sided room.

The compass was inspired by a 17th century brass map.

The author inlaid the compass points in contrasting woods and veneer.

The center is a spiral of end-grain maple with a walnut burl center.
This project started as a consulting assignment. The architect, Donald Grose, called me in to evaluate the wood flooring that was being supplied for a client’s new home.

While walking through the house, we entered a well-lit octagonal room located at the far end of the house. Donald explained that the room would remain essentially unfurnished and be used for meditation. He also mentioned that the clients were going to buy a factory-made medallion as a focal point for the center of the room. As a former Air Force navigator, I have a special affinity for compass roses, and I thought that this would be a perfect spot for one.

At Donald’s urging, I mentioned my idea to the client, and after much discussion and research by the client, we were given a picture of a compass rose on a brass map from the 1600s. Working off the photo, Donald created a scaled drawing of the compass rose. The client asked me to make the compass rose look as close to the drawing as possible. Donald also generated a 6-foot-diameter paper template that we set on the subfloor in the proper orientation so that the flooring installers could make sure there were no nails where we needed to cut out flooring for the compass.

The flooring in the room was to be rift- and quarter-sawn white oak. I selected several boards of rift-sawn red oak and darker quarter-sawn white oak for fabricating the points of the compass and purchased some veneer sheets dyed black for the lines. I made the center circle with end-grain maple that spiraled inward to a dark center. That piece I cut out of a burly spot in a board that I had noticed near my work area in the client’s basement. The client told me that the board was milled from the crotch of an old walnut tree on the property that had been struck by lightning. For the directional letters, I got help from Jim Garth, of Decorative Flooring. He laser-cut the letters, inlaid them in polygons, and provided a template for me to rout out and drop in the letters at the four points.

The compass rose took a couple of months to complete, and it was the finishing touch in the home. The drawing and the actual compass rose turned out to be a close match. It was a real pleasure to work with a client and architect who came up with such a well-defined design and who had the patience to let me work through the details.
Photos by Howard Brickman

https://www.jlconline.com/how-to/in...cle&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=JLC_042819&

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I noticed the article mentioned rift-sawn but there's also plain-sawn and quartersawn. What's the difference?

The easiest way to quickly assess different cuts of wood is to look at the end grain. A board with growth rings running roughly parallel—usually in arches—relative to the face of the board is called a plain-sawn (or flat-sawn) board. If the growth rings are at a steep angle relative to the face, the board is said to have quartersawn grain. If the growth rings run at a slightly lower angle, it’s called rift-sawn. The reason for the different cuts is that compared to plain-sawn boards, both quartersawn and rift-sawn boards are less likely to cup, and will experience less seasonal expansion and contraction across their widths. There are also notable differences in appearance, which is important to a carpenter or woodworker. Quartersawn lumber will have straight, uniform grain on two sides—the top and the bottom. Rift-sawn lumber will have that same straight, uniform grain on the top and bottom, but will also have nice parallel grain on the two edges.

Rift-Quarter-Plain.JPG
FYI for us tinkerers, I know you pros knew this already.

BF

Ironpig

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Very nice work...but 2 months??? Feel like I'm missing something.

Not sure if link works for non subscribers:

Dead Reckoning Craftsmanship
By Howard Brickman
DOWNLOAD THE PDF VERSION OF THIS ARTICLE. (662.82 KB)

The compass rose is the focal point of an eight-sided room.

The compass was inspired by a 17th century brass map.

The author inlaid the compass points in contrasting woods and veneer.

The center is a spiral of end-grain maple with a walnut burl center.
This project started as a consulting assignment. The architect, Donald Grose, called me in to evaluate the wood flooring that was being supplied for a client’s new home.

While walking through the house, we entered a well-lit octagonal room located at the far end of the house. Donald explained that the room would remain essentially unfurnished and be used for meditation. He also mentioned that the clients were going to buy a factory-made medallion as a focal point for the center of the room. As a former Air Force navigator, I have a special affinity for compass roses, and I thought that this would be a perfect spot for one.

At Donald’s urging, I mentioned my idea to the client, and after much discussion and research by the client, we were given a picture of a compass rose on a brass map from the 1600s. Working off the photo, Donald created a scaled drawing of the compass rose. The client asked me to make the compass rose look as close to the drawing as possible. Donald also generated a 6-foot-diameter paper template that we set on the subfloor in the proper orientation so that the flooring installers could make sure there were no nails where we needed to cut out flooring for the compass.

The flooring in the room was to be rift- and quarter-sawn white oak. I selected several boards of rift-sawn red oak and darker quarter-sawn white oak for fabricating the points of the compass and purchased some veneer sheets dyed black for the lines. I made the center circle with end-grain maple that spiraled inward to a dark center. That piece I cut out of a burly spot in a board that I had noticed near my work area in the client’s basement. The client told me that the board was milled from the crotch of an old walnut tree on the property that had been struck by lightning. For the directional letters, I got help from Jim Garth, of Decorative Flooring. He laser-cut the letters, inlaid them in polygons, and provided a template for me to rout out and drop in the letters at the four points.

The compass rose took a couple of months to complete, and it was the finishing touch in the home. The drawing and the actual compass rose turned out to be a close match. It was a real pleasure to work with a client and architect who came up with such a well-defined design and who had the patience to let me work through the details.
Photos by Howard Brickman

https://www.jlconline.com/how-to/in...cle&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=JLC_042819&
Two Months..............Nothin's easy! Nothin' !

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yeah Right?!, This week I hung a new door in an old opening! What a nighmare! Pics to follow soon.
Rob told me about your situation. Praying for 100% health. Fa Zheng Qien Kun.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Nice relaxing weekend at the lake. We started 10s last week. Should continue through the summer. Its not even hot yet and we can't keep our heads above water. I guess its a good problem to have. It wont be like this forever, so might as well bank the hours now.
Hope u gave an easier time than I do trying to relax. Enjoy it

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Offering a summer special to any GIMers ($120/night). Direct ocean access and newly renovated on Hutchinson Island. Very quiet and within walking distance to 4 mostly oceanfront restaurants with live bands. All water activities you can think of available too. Low population and very relaxing.

2 hours from Orlando and 1 hour from Palm Beach.

Attachments

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Completely finished the renovation today.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I need to do that to my kitchen.
I would put in a bigger window.
Yeah, but it faces the side of the neighbors house about 20' away across the driveway. :(

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Looks great NM!!
Wanka, check in once in awhile.

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Big turnaround there Mister, remember when everyone else was saying burn it down... i kept the faith bro. Great work man. That's how you polish a turd right there.

Just finished up on a project that was in a similar state of disrepair. Built in the 30's as well and much of it need of attention.

No less than five of these awe inspiring "jenga" braces were added at some point.
IMG_1637.JPG

I can die happy knowing that I've seen it all now.

We didn't have to take this steamy pile as far as you Mr. Just replaced the bottom seal and rimboards all around, replaced all headers, added a tripple lvl's to support a bagging overspanned joist system, jacked up and braced the roof, added 12" overhang all around, added a 6x20 front porch gable and a 25x9 room addition on back, plus replaced all the winders.

Shot of pops eying the wall of worry

IMG_1624.JPG

Got that "not this shit again" look don't he? Seriously though, ole pops is doing well. He was having trouble with the medication making him super tired, they halfed the dose and now he's feeling better er.

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

Meh, on to the next one.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Hey, good to see a post from ya, stonedy, been wonderin how yer pops was doin.
He was having trouble with the medication making him super tired
Is that his blood pressure meds? When I first started they made a big difference in my energy levels. When I bitched about no energy anymore to the doc he put me on Bystolic. Worked great, had my energy back and it lowered my BP just fine. Then I retired, went off my script plan from the employer, When I went to refill the Bystolic scrip next time (off the old insurance on the 'Silver Plan') the price went from $60 for 90 days to $385 for 90 days.
Health — only for the rich or well connected.

BF

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Big turnaround there Mister, remember when everyone else was saying burn it down... i kept the faith bro. Great work man. That's how you polish a turd right there.

Just finished up on a project that was in a similar state of disrepair. Built in the 30's as well and much of it need of attention.

No less than five of these awe inspiring "jenga" braces were added at some point. View attachment 134391

I can die happy knowing that I've seen it all now.

We didn't have to take this steamy pile as far as you Mr. Just replaced the bottom seal and rimboards all around, replaced all headers, added a tripple lvl's to support a bagging overspanned joist system, jacked up and braced the roof, added 12" overhang all around, added a 6x20 front porch gable and a 25x9 room addition on back, plus replaced all the winders.

Shot of pops eying the wall of worry

View attachment 134393

Got that "not this shit again" look don't he? Seriously though, ole pops is doing well. He was having trouble with the medication making him super tired, they halfed the dose and now he's feeling better er.

View attachment 134394

View attachment 134395

Meh, on to the next one.
It may not be The Life but it's the life all the same.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I'm finally near the end of this project. Chinking and caulking done. kitchen, bathrooms and carpet done.

Attachments

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Looks very nice Hoarder, I'm jealous, to say the least.

Spent the weekend doing serpentine on my Toyota Prado and front pads on my son's Honda Fit/Jazz.

Golden Regards
Uncle

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
new, what is that trim in the pic at the base?

looks like a plastic cap trim?
Regular engineered wood jamb, casing and baseboard. Cauled then sprayed with a satin finish paint. The technique used was to tape an 1/8 away from the baseboard and casing bottom, caulk that then let dry and paint. Next step is to tape the top of the base an 1/8" away from the wall and cover the painted trim with paper, caulk the base to wall joint, let dry then paint the walls. The end result gives a clean caulk line as seen on the floor that really sharpens up the contrast. It looks especially nice against the wooden cabinets (no pics)

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Regular engineered wood jamb, casing and baseboard. Cauled then sprayed with a satin finish paint. The technique used was to tape an 1/8 away from the baseboard and casing bottom, caulk that then let dry and paint. Next step is to tape the top of the base an 1/8" away from the wall and cover the painted trim with paper, caulk the base to wall joint, let dry then paint the walls. The end result gives a clean caulk line as seen on the floor that really sharpens up the contrast. It looks especially nice against the wooden cabinets (no pics)

Your method results in an really clean look - the extra effort sets you apart.

Last edited:

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got the base of my mobile work bench made. Looking to add 2 draws for storage underneath with 4 cubbies for tool storage. Casters are 5" locking casters rated at 300lbs each...plenty for my wood working goals..height of table matches that of my jobsite style table saw so that it can serve as an outfeed table. 3/4in ply wood top with 2" over hang on all sides to aid in clamping...glued and screwed 99% of work...table top is screwed only so that it can be replaced as needed.
20190625_212105.jpg
20190625_212139.jpg

Will update once the add ons are complete

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
deck 3.jpg

Day 5 of vacation. On day 1 of vacation the old rotten fir deck got tore down and burned, before the county imposes a burn ban. You dont run fir on the flat in this part of the country. It's just gonna rot and invite pests (and it did). I'm no carpenter, so I try my best to think three steps ahead. Thats my excuse for being slow anyways..... Tomorrow I run the decking till my knees shut me down. Jesse hasn't been much help but She remains good company!

Nice stuff Hoarder! good to hear from you Wanka! Newmisty.... great stuff man!