• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

Hystckndle

GETWHAT'SYOURS
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Some EMT traffic.
Cloud storage facility 3rd floor distribution.
Entire new, parallel to old, service installed in the basement, tested and checked out and then all bldg loads transferred over
under written MOP procedures.
Total respect for the labor equity on this thread.
Regards to all,
20170119_111034.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got the base of my mobile work bench made. Looking to add 2 draws for storage underneath with 4 cubbies for tool storage. Casters are 5" locking casters rated at 300lbs each...plenty for my wood working goals..height of table matches that of my jobsite style table saw so that it can serve as an outfeed table. 3/4in ply wood top with 2" over hang on all sides to aid in clamping...glued and screwed 99% of work...table top is screwed only so that it can be replaced as needed. View attachment 134598 View attachment 134599
Will update once the add ons are complete
Great bench Rusty.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm finally near the end of this project. Chinking and caulking done. kitchen, bathrooms and carpet done.
It's looking like a home now Hoarder. Nice work.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Regular engineered wood jamb, casing and baseboard. Cauled then sprayed with a satin finish paint. The technique used was to tape an 1/8 away from the baseboard and casing bottom, caulk that then let dry and paint. Next step is to tape the top of the base an 1/8" away from the wall and cover the painted trim with paper, caulk the base to wall joint, let dry then paint the walls. The end result gives a clean caulk line as seen on the floor that really sharpens up the contrast. It looks especially nice against the wooden cabinets (no pics)

Took a pic of the cabinet to wall line to show the caulk line for yuz. The caulk and tape are the primary things to consider here. They aren't all compatible.

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
just me... as usual. And of course several misc clamps...
Looking good Smooter. Those notches on the post there what's the green stuffs?

Most times when we're doing decks I'm running the stuff solo. Since using the Bowrench I'd never do it any other way. Done a deck a few months back using high dollar plastic floor with big ass hidden clips. Trying to worm that crap without these things was a nightmare.

IMG_1585.JPG

Well that picture doesn't really show them in use but they are literally like having another two hands. They can be used to straighten the crookedest of deck boards, awesome tool and well worth the 50 or so bucks apiece.

We put Minecraft style bays on this thing. Is big down here right now.
IMG_1534.JPG

Then changed our mind
IMG_1535.JPG

Has six arches on it all together. All wrapped in stucco now. I'm actually heading back there tomorrow I'll get another pic or two of the near finished product.

Not even kidding about the wrenches though Smoot, every guy needs at least one. Imvho

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So I went to the East coast for a couple weeks. One major thing to do was replace mom's deck. The old herringbone pattern will be missed!

I had other things to do while there so I had to bust ass and worry about function first.My mom had called a lumberyard and they sent a guy out for free to estimate her materials. I showed up, they dilivered the wood, screws and I was off. The lumber was 90% clear #1PT. 20's, 16's 14's 12's and 8's. The long ones were stacked on the bottom so those went on last, which worked out perfect. Fewer joints where the roof sheds.

Hot to use some of my grandfathers old tools and luckily my moms ryobi was actually up to the task.

There was a hokey little stair at the end of the deck up against the house that I proposed we hack off and move to the end as seen in the pics. SO much nicer and more practical that way.

You'll never guess who showed up to lend a hand! Our very own Hammerhead! Hammer, your help was greatly appreciated brother! I was literally still working up until I had leave for the the plane ride home. The picnic table could't have gotten repaired without you HH. Thanks again!

PS I built the small beam by the house underneath several years ago to keep the deck from falling down/off the house.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just remembered, I couldn't have done the handrails without Hammerhead's help either. Took him with his full bodyweight yanking on it so I could screw the two rails together. :)

Forgot to menton, when I was done there was about 10 board feet left. The estimating guy did a great job and delivery was $5 while they we're only $.50 more per board than BLowes who would'a charged $60 and send no estimator.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Not even kidding about the wrenches though Smoot, every guy needs at least one. Imvho
Totally forgot those existed man. You dont even want to know how I was keeping things lined up today. I have wifey on the web looking for one right now. Got about a third of the stuff ran today, then it plain got too hot (dark grey plastic really soaks up the sun). Whenever I do a project like this I think about you guys that do it for a living. My hats off to you folks.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Looking good Smooter. Those notches on the post there what's the green stuffs?

Most times when we're doing decks I'm running the stuff solo. Since using the Bowrench I'd never do it any other way. Done a deck a few months back using high dollar plastic floor with big ass hidden clips. Trying to worm that crap without these things was a nightmare.

View attachment 134709

Well that picture doesn't really show them in use but they are literally like having another two hands. They can be used to straighten the crookedest of deck boards, awesome tool and well worth the 50 or so bucks apiece.

We put Minecraft style bays on this thing. Is big down here right now.
View attachment 134707

Then changed our mind
View attachment 134708

Has six arches on it all together. All wrapped in stucco now. I'm actually heading back there tomorrow I'll get another pic or two of the near finished product.

How did you figure and mark the arches StOnEy?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Nice work and pretty country over there guys. Cool to hear that a couple of Gim'ers came together on a project, is a workin man thread first I'm sure.
Darn tootin there Sir! Was great to meet a GIMer in the flesh AND have him show up with tools, skills and a willingness to help. :)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Totally forgot those existed man. You dont even want to know how I was keeping things lined up today. I have wifey on the web looking for one right now. Got about a third of the stuff ran today, then it plain got too hot (dark grey plastic really soaks up the sun). Whenever I do a project like this I think about you guys that do it for a living. My hats off to you folks.
I just think about the poor schmoes inside a bland office building surrounded my momo's and I can imbrace how much I love my job. :)

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
How did you figure and mark the arches StOnEy?
Found dead center of the opening, figured enough drop at the center of the arch to hide my J channel for the metal ceiling underneath then allowed an extra inch and a half to get my header blocks in. Once I had my height established I cut a radius bar to said height, cut the bottom to a point which was held on my center mark by pops, then I simply trace it with a sharpie then cut it with a jigsaw.

Plus weed
Easy peasy Mr.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
All right I'll let you Pros have a laugh at smooth's expense.....

clamps.jpg

Hey, at least the shit is straight!
Wanka, the green stuff Is called Copper Green... wood preservative.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Ordered mine from acme tools dot com Smootherine. Amazon has them as well. Heard menards carries them up north.
Ordered from amazon. 8 extra dollars it will be here tomorrow. I have plenty of stuff to do between now and then. Thanks, you guys deserve a laugh!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

View attachment 134714

So what's up with the notches bro?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
BTW, I installed those Anderson 400 series windows and doors years back and can attest that they are a terrific product. A damn bargain at $1400 or so (depending on choices) IMO. Anyway, I highly recommend them.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

View attachment 134714

Feckin eh. Blind fasteners and a border. You got it going, man. If the van is running, swing by and pick me up. Or we could could meet at McDonalds. Off I-90, exit 2. In Massachusetts.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Darn tootin there Sir! Was great to meet a GIMer in the flesh AND have him show up with tools, skills and a willingness to help. :)
Pleasure was all mine, my good man. Wish I'd gotten there a few days earlier so you could have had a day or two off. You know, maybe get bored or something.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Look at smooth go. Guy is always saying he's not a Carpenter, pffffft! You got skills brosif.
Thanks, I dabble in all sorts of things. Slow at all of them. LOL

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
If'n you don't know many, I'm sure we could teach ya some curse words.
"Can't see it from my house!" is still my favorite job quote.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Pleasure was all mine, my good man. Wish I'd gotten there a few days earlier so you could have had a day or two off. You know, maybe get bored or something.
Yeah I never got a chance to get bored....only board. :p

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I made a deep hive body out of a board.
I'd post a picture, but once you've seen one bee box..., they're pretty much all the same, they just come in different heights, deep medium and shallow. I don't use shallow boxes, just deeps and mediums. I get much older, I may switch over to just mediums.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
If'n you don't know many, I'm sure we could teach ya some curse words.
I'm pretty good in the curse word department, after 30 years in an oil refinery I could probably teach that class.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'm getting quite a chuckle out of this thread. The straightness of these jobs kinda/sorta amazes me. Few yyears back I went over to a fella's place to help him put on an addition, when I asked how wide it would be the answer was, "Three axe handles and a li'l bit". Right then I knew my level and other goodies were gonna be safe in the truck.
Does everyone have a railing around their deck? Had a deck for 26 years[even replaced it once] and never dreamem of putting a railing on it. Kids all jumped off it and I believe by the tire marks that a bicycle or two flew off the high end as well the motorized ones too. I just can't imagine fencing myself in thataway.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Does everyone have a railing around their deck?
Put one on mine, was intended to keep granddaughters from jumping off into grandmas flower beds. What do they do, climb all over it, may have just made some monkey bars - same thing to them.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm getting quite a chuckle out of this thread. The straightness of these jobs kinda/sorta amazes me. Few yyears back I went over to a fella's place to help him put on an addition, when I asked how wide it would be the answer was, "Three axe handles and a li'l bit". Right then I knew my level and other goodies were gonna be safe in the truck.
Does everyone have a railing around their deck? Had a deck for 26 years[even replaced it once] and never dreamem of putting a railing on it. Kids all jumped off it and I believe by the tire marks that a bicycle or two flew off the high end as well the motorized ones too. I just can't imagine fencing myself in thataway.
Most districts have strict codes requiring hand/guardrails.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Most districts have strict codes requiring hand/guardrails.
In many cases handrails are not required if there is less than 30" drop off below.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
So far I've learned you guys have HOA's that tell you what you can do and now you say your government is involved in what you can do. I'm really beginning to wonder if I have anything legal out here on the farm. Don't really care though as I've lived my life my way anyway and suppose if some twit wants to come tell me how to live[build] the rest of it, then I hear blood and guts is good for the garden.
If your gov is so good at telling people how to build safe, why are there so many disaster news casts.
Don't mind what I say for a couple hours as I just got home after a rain out annd decided to smoke it if ya got it.
Have fun.