• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Made the doors yesterday. Glued them up and let them dry till today. I put on the big door and when I grabbed the smaller doors one was a couple inches shy of covering the opening! Farkin dummy. I goofed up in my measuremaths somewhere. Had to run home and grab new boards and quickly build a new one. Of course as is typical, the second time try took a fraction of the time and I was able to stay on schedule. Ended up coating the doors with a coat of paint (Sadly...love the natural cedar look) and caulked my nail holes, battons etc. Still waiting to hear about the hardware. Tomorrow second coating everything and there's a couple inside things to do.

I did end up talking them out of as much peg board as they originally wanted but did put some on the back of the tall cabinet and two sides of the other. Also built a shelf and lined the back of the other with T&G cedar and painted.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Made the doors yesterday. Glued them up and let them dry till today. I put on the big door and when I grabbed the smaller doors one was a couple inches shy of covering the opening! Farkin dummy. I goofed up in my measuremaths somewhere. Had to run home and grab new boards and quickly build a new one. Of course as is typical, the second time try took a fraction of the time and I was able to stay on schedule. Ended up coating the doors with a coat of paint (Sadly...love the natural cedar look) and caulked my nail holes, battons etc. Still waiting to hear about the hardware. Tomorrow second coating everything and there's a couple inside things to do.

I did end up talking them out of as much peg board as they originally wanted but did put some on the back of the tall cabinet and two sides of the other. Also built a shelf and lined the back of the other with T&G cedar and painted.

Shame you couldn't go with clearing the doors, but the customer is the customer.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Shame you couldn't go with clearing the doors, but the customer is the customer.
Great customers too. Always pay on the spot and are grateful. I'm in the service industry after all.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
How does one go about repairing that mess?
Its on them to bust out the tiles and the concrete. They will have the general contractor who did the building do all that for us. We then come in and put a coupler on it. Pump it up to 2x max working pressure, so about 60 psi and let sit for 24 hours and call it good. Then its on them to fix everything after we put the coupler on it.

Very big job, but very easy job for us.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Its on them to bust out the tiles and the concrete. They will have the general contractor who did the building do all that for us. We then come in and put a coupler on it. Pump it up to 2x max working pressure, so about 60 psi and let sit for 24 hours and call it good. Then its on them to fix everything after we put the coupler on it.

Very big job, but very easy job for us.
Sounds great! I quite dislike chipping away crete.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The crew must be getting good at chipping it out and repairing the floor by now.
I think it's a conspiracy within the tool rental place!

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I thought I'd try my hand at ornamental iron work. I built a pot rack for my cast iron cookware and paper towel dispenser for the kitchen, towel bars and toilet paper dispensers for the bathrooms and a hat rack for the mudroom..

Attachments

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I have a friend that makes frogs & other "things" out of horseshoes ! Great artwork.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Kinda sad to paint over that Knotty Pine. I have entire room of it, all oiled & natural. BUT your work looks great ! :2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Kinda sad to paint over that Knotty Pine. I have entire room of it, all oiled & natural. BUT your work looks great ! :2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up:
Thanks Taez. Even more sacrilegious, it's grade a cedar! But it's gotta hold up to the Arkansas weather so painted it is.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Hoarder: Absolutely super work!!

If you take a ten-inch diameter (or so) pine log chunk, you could make seacoast-style piling group out of the spikes by placing them sorta sunk in a cluster in the center of the pine log... and weld half-straightened horseshoes (so they look like seagulls flying) wing-to-wing with the bottom one's lowest wing touching the pilings.

I made a few of those, and never got to keep one. Too fargin old, now. Din' even get any pics. Oh, well... lookit this, and pretend those pilings are your RR spikes wrapped together and sunk into the "water" of the center of the rings of the pine log.

Then add a single bird's wing to touch any one of the pilings. The birds could be in echelon, or three/four/five-way, or even partially behind the pilings.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Got this at work today. Nice 96% efficient furnace. 8 years old, but looks lightly used. I'm going to use it as a backup for our house, since HVAC units always go down at the worst time.

Just going to build a 90 degree elbo off the top and blow into the basement. Then let the heat rise through the stairs and laundry shoot. After its all said and done Ill have 0 dollars into it and a half days labor.

Now when the main unit goes down I can take my sweet time to fix it.

furnace.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Started a small renovation last week. I was hired as a carpenter and painter. RIpped out a few walls, a bunch of carpeting and added a beam to open up the room. Drywall sub did his thing and today the flooring's going in. Then we'll run base and paint the walls.

Ok, so the drywallers scraped off the popcorn texture on the ceiling and floated out a bit. We put a coat of drywall primer followed by a topcoat and whatever that old drywall had in it, bled through both. So we then hit it with KILZ oil primer and another topcoat. None of us had seen that scenario before. The new drywall was fine but there must be some chems in the old stuff. Lesson learned.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Started a small renovation last week. I was hired as a carpenter and painter. RIpped out a few walls, a bunch of carpeting and added a beam to open up the room. Drywall sub did his thing and today the flooring's going in. Then we'll run base and paint the walls.

Ok, so the drywallers scraped off the popcorn texture on the ceiling and floated out a bit. We put a coat of drywall primer followed by a topcoat and whatever that old drywall had in it, bled through both. So we then hit it with KILZ oil primer and another topcoat. None of us had seen that scenario before. The new drywall was fine but there must be some chems in the old stuff. Lesson learned.

Could that have been cigarette smoke stain bleeding through?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Could that have been cigarette smoke stain bleeding through?
No, it was under the popcorn since the house was built. The paint store guy was familiar with it and my deduction is something in the manufactoring process of old.

" There are several known causes of discoloration problems on painted drywall. The causes of yellowing include tannin bleeding from recycled wood by-products used in the facing cardboard, sizing compounds used to treat the facing cardboard and moisture migration through the drywall. "

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter