• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Knocked out a bunch of work on the log home in 27 hours and got a $100 bonus with warm appreciation.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Nice deck?

Lunchtime swim.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Put two steam boilers back together this week after State inspection. Boilers are probably my favorite piece of equipment to work on. These guys are from 1925 and were originally coal. They are the old locomotive style with fire brick. Which are the most dangerous type of boiler to work on when firing fuel oil. These boilers will run on fuel oil when there is curtailment. The fire brick will glow red. If the ignitor for fuel oil does not light, the oil will hit the fire brick, which results in taking all the doors right off the boiler. We run a switch to the low water cutoff and stand outside when testing the oil.

Anyway pretty sweet boilers. Im sure if they are taken care of the would be around in another 100 years.

IMG_2670.JPG

Attachments

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Put two steam boilers back together this week after State inspection. Boilers are probably my favorite piece of equipment to work on. These guys are from 1925 and were originally coal. They are the old locomotive style with fire brick. Which are the most dangerous type of boiler to work on when firing fuel oil. These boilers will run on fuel oil when there is curtailment. The fire brick will glow red. If the ignitor for fuel oil does not light, the oil will hit the fire brick, which results in taking all the doors right off the boiler. We run a switch to the low water cutoff and stand outside when testing the oil.

Anyway pretty sweet boilers. Im sure if they are taken care of the would be around in another 100 years.

View attachment 140977
Art!

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

View attachment 140977
Back when I worked as an high pressure boiler operator, if we fired with fuel oil, ours used NG as a pilot to ignite the oil. If the gas didn't light the burner would shut down and no fuel oil was injected into the firebox. Switching over was relatively easy. We'd usually get a call from the gas company telling us the pressure was getting low due to extreme cold or some other reason and would we switch to oil.

Have you ever had the opportunity to re-tube one of those boilers?

I have done a few re-tube jobs, been too many years ago to relate, and no, no pictures.

Edit to add:
I gave up my boiler license a couple years back, (retired), so I'll not be working around any thing larger than my outdoor wood boiler. That's enough for me these days.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Back when I worked as an high pressure boiler operator, if we fired with fuel oil, ours used NG as a pilot to ignite the oil. If the gas didn't light the burner would shut down and no fuel oil was injected into the firebox. Switching over was relatively easy. We'd usually get a call from the gas company telling us the pressure was getting low due to extreme cold or some other reason and would we switch to oil.

Have you ever had the opportunity to re-tube one of those boilers?

I have done a few re-tube jobs, been too many years ago to relate, and no, no pictures.

Edit to add:
I gave up my boiler license a couple years back, (retired), so I'll not be working around any thing larger than my outdoor wood boiler. That's enough for me these days.
Put two new tubes in the boiler this year. We hire that out to boilermakers. They also had to fix the rods that hold the sides together.

I currently only have my special boiler license. I will be taking the next step up hopefully next summer. High pressure license was an elective this year. I chose not to take it. I will have to go back to get it eventually. The test is the same time as our test we need to take to turn out which has a 56% pass rate nation wide, so i didn't want to have to tackle that test and the high pressure test at the same time.

I want my high pressure license, soon they will be adding Carbon dioxide refrigeration to it and then everybody in HVAC will want that license.

Last edited:

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Looks awesome! Pics of the frame?
No frame, bolted to the masonry wall by the hinges. Sorry, frame probably means the backside of the gates? The back is an X pattern with a mortise and tenon frame.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
No frame, bolted to the masonry wall by the hinges. Sorry, frame probably means the backside of the gates? The back is an X pattern with a mortise and tenon frame.
Yeah was interested in how the gates themselves were built. Not how they were mounted. Thought maybe you went with a steel frame to hold all of that weight...

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Concrete block with skim coat for walls?
Concrete block with every other core filled with concrete and rebar, horizontal beam in middle and top. The plaster is my homemade mix - lime, white portland, and sand, two coats.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Speaking of that. Has anybody on this forum done a Slurry Brick, German Smear, or mortar wash to existing brick?
I've done quit a bit of brick work, but have never done the smear techniques. It can look a little overdone if you aren't careful. Have you got a pic of the brick?

edit: have you considered repointing with a heavy mortar joint instead of a smear? I'm assuming you are looking for an old world look?

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Clients wanted to upgrade their theeaholds in their new house. Carefully pulled up the old and milled new from poplar. Bought 3 small cans of stain and just mixed till I was happy with a decent match. There moving in tomorrow. Afterwards I'll clear coat and touch up.

IMG_20190923_120742924.jpg
IMG_20190925_144633704.jpg
IMG_20190926_141751775.jpg
IMG_20190926_151908234.jpg
IMG_20190926_151939501.jpg

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Very Nice work Newm. With my sense of colors I'd just went with Curb Yellow (Caution Yellow) to make sure nobody stubbed their toes.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Looks great man, but Poplar? Pretty soft for that piece I would think.
Yeah, agreed but theyre an elderly retired couple who wear slippers so I saved us time and $ going with the poplar.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Look at the way they made the stairs in this place! Drunk and sleepy people beware...

IMG_20191001_114145615.jpg
IMG_20191001_114206729.jpg

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Holy cow thats completly unacceptable.

ive had nightmares about stairways like that. One time i dreamt of working non stop on a house then i go to climb the stairs get to the top and have to lay down, shed my nail bags then wiggle my way beneath celing joist, into and through a plywood tunnel, where i discover ive built a stairway to nowhere in particular.

But that one there Mister is gonna get someone killed.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
In the middle of one the worst tasks I run into...pulling tile and backerboard. Also check out how the kitchen looks without cabinets...

IMG_20190930_151912004.jpg
IMG_20190930_135258063.jpg

IMG_20190930_144625999.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Not to fret StOnEy, they put an osha approved,small, fake potted plant on it to hide the death trap. The longer I work here the crazier it gets. Got another goof coming later.
My head's still spinning from those stairs.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ozarkitecture at it's finest.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
A family member was in need of a way to get into her home after having a stroke. It was a privilege to be put to the task of designing and building of a deck and ramp to give her access. Was a long process given my physical liabilities and mostly made it up as I went but managed to pull it off all the same.
before from driveway.jpg

The husband, who has been by her side through out the 4 month nursing home process and is now the caregiver for the sweet lady, thought it would be good to have a deck to sit on, so we agreed on a 7x15 foot landing that is flush to the door way. We had a 35 inch rise from bottom of door to where the walkway was. It worked out good that the ramp started right at the original area off the drive.

walkway.jpg

Good bye to precast steps and asphalt walkway.

framing.jpg

Rough framing. Didn't get pics of them but used helical piers. Well worth $160 a pop to not have to dig 11 holes.

The guy wanted all maintenance free materials which are readily available so I used a decking manufactured by Wolf with hidden fasteners using the Camo method.
deck.jpg

I had a very difficult time finding handrails that would work on a 7 degree slope. I did find one product that is designed to go to at least 5 degrees and with the help of the distributors was able to modify the rails by giving them back cuts so the mounting bracket would slip over them enough to fasten to the post.
rail modification 1.jpg

rail modification 2.jpg

I did have a oh shit moment with the posts. been a long time since I've done one of these and wasn't aware the rules had changed for attaching 4x4's. Used to be able to notch them and screw them right to the sides of the rim joists. Not any more. When fastening to the outside, 2-1/2" carriage bolts are required with one of them to be tied back to the inside framing. Hard to do with all the doubled up framing members. So I used a top mount post system. That reduced the width of the travel lane by 8" (fecking feck feck) but still gave me enough to meet code.
post assembly.jpg

So anywho, finished product.
finished product 2.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Working on a little RDS (rotten door syndrome) today...
IMG_20191106_113437625.jpg
IMG_20191106_113854287_BURST001.jpg

Attachments

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
A family member was in need of a way to get into her home after having a stroke. It was a privilege to be put to the task of designing and building of a deck and ramp to give her access. Was a long process given my physical liabilities and mostly made it up as I went but managed to pull it off all the same.
View attachment 145471
The husband, who has been by her side through out the 4 month nursing home process and is now the caregiver for the sweet lady, thought it would be good to have a deck to sit on, so we agreed on a 7x15 foot landing that is flush to the door way. We had a 35 inch rise from bottom of door to where the walkway was. It worked out good that the ramp started right at the original area off the drive.

View attachment 145472
Good bye to precast steps and asphalt walkway.

View attachment 145473
Rough framing. Didn't get pics of them but used helical piers. Well worth $160 a pop to not have to dig 11 holes.

The guy wanted all maintenance free materials which are readily available so I used a decking manufactured by Wolf with hidden fasteners using the Camo method.
View attachment 145476

I had a very difficult time finding handrails that would work on a 7 degree slope. I did find one product that is designed to go to at least 5 degrees and with the help of the distributors was able to modify the rails by giving them back cuts so the mounting bracket would slip over them enough to fasten to the post.
View attachment 145474
View attachment 145475

I did have a oh shit moment with the posts. been a long time since I've done one of these and wasn't aware the rules had changed for attaching 4x4's. Used to be able to notch them and screw them right to the sides of the rim joists. Not any more. When fastening to the outside, 2-1/2" carriage bolts are required with one of them to be tied back to the inside framing. Hard to do with all the doubled up framing members. So I used a top mount post system. That reduced the width of the travel lane by 8" (fecking feck feck) but still gave me enough to meet code.
View attachment 145477

So anywho, finished product.
View attachment 145478
That looks real sharp! Very nice work man.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What's the plan on fixing them? Epoxy?
Fit in cedar and filled holes with Durham's rock hard. Wet here tonight/tomorrow so will get back to finish coat and then hopefully paint Friday.
IMG_20191106_132900028.jpg

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I was hoping that would bring ya around, Mr.
I’ve been around lurking mostly. Been busy busy for months now. Still banging with ole pops by me side. He’s doing well, so far no complications after the heart attack other than the medicine he has to take for a year makes him a bit of butthead from time to time.

Working for an outfit that really has their stuff together and we get into all sorts of messes these days. Mostly remodel projects but about 6 months back they branched out into water remediation and that has kinda exploded.

They go in and tear out and dehumidify and most times pop and i put things back together, joist, subfloor, snap and lock flooring then trim outs.

Just finished up framing a 2600 footer in Jacksonville about a week back. Going to start one a little north of 4K this Friday if the block layers finish up. Should keep us rocking into December. Got another guy that calls me weekly trying to get me on some of his messes... it’s a good prob to have I suppose.

Lots of stuff going on down here, booming even.

Day one on the last gig here. Slinging up houses out of that old 9duce chevy

AEAB3B79-16AE-4447-9397-4D78E0D0027F.jpeg

30 foot 2x6x16 inch lamb beam was a bit much for the two of us, called in the old caterpillar to set her up for us.

76546DDE-4778-46B5-9F66-0BB5D26786DC.jpeg

Couple shots of some joist action

C66AA36A-AFEC-4D35-BBDE-ADC8EEA66280.jpeg

Just like the last 50

D220C5CA-8DEB-4B4F-A675-1D5C4B044088.jpeg

Had to go heavy on that beam because with that cathedral set up we lacked proper places to support the main roof, so it pulls double duty there.

Will post a few moar below.

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The wind didn’t blow until it were time to start slamming sheets, as per usual

707D878A-B7A2-4047-A216-CFCED4DBE560.jpeg

Just out of view in this shot stands a smoking hot dirty blonde milf in a bikini who had just finished asking if we were hiring.

3C4AB44A-AA2C-4931-AA70-2551C95C2957.jpeg

Another look at the finished cathedral in the living/kitchen here

B6EF69A8-AA39-481E-9812-C7068A293D5D.jpeg

Is good to see you as well Sir Crackers.