• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Knocked out a bunch of work on the log home in 27 hours and got a $100 bonus with warm appreciation.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Nice deck?

Lunchtime swim.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Put two steam boilers back together this week after State inspection. Boilers are probably my favorite piece of equipment to work on. These guys are from 1925 and were originally coal. They are the old locomotive style with fire brick. Which are the most dangerous type of boiler to work on when firing fuel oil. These boilers will run on fuel oil when there is curtailment. The fire brick will glow red. If the ignitor for fuel oil does not light, the oil will hit the fire brick, which results in taking all the doors right off the boiler. We run a switch to the low water cutoff and stand outside when testing the oil.

Anyway pretty sweet boilers. Im sure if they are taken care of the would be around in another 100 years.

IMG_2670.JPG

Attachments

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Put two steam boilers back together this week after State inspection. Boilers are probably my favorite piece of equipment to work on. These guys are from 1925 and were originally coal. They are the old locomotive style with fire brick. Which are the most dangerous type of boiler to work on when firing fuel oil. These boilers will run on fuel oil when there is curtailment. The fire brick will glow red. If the ignitor for fuel oil does not light, the oil will hit the fire brick, which results in taking all the doors right off the boiler. We run a switch to the low water cutoff and stand outside when testing the oil.

Anyway pretty sweet boilers. Im sure if they are taken care of the would be around in another 100 years.

View attachment 140977
Art!

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

View attachment 140977
Back when I worked as an high pressure boiler operator, if we fired with fuel oil, ours used NG as a pilot to ignite the oil. If the gas didn't light the burner would shut down and no fuel oil was injected into the firebox. Switching over was relatively easy. We'd usually get a call from the gas company telling us the pressure was getting low due to extreme cold or some other reason and would we switch to oil.

Have you ever had the opportunity to re-tube one of those boilers?

I have done a few re-tube jobs, been too many years ago to relate, and no, no pictures.

Edit to add:
I gave up my boiler license a couple years back, (retired), so I'll not be working around any thing larger than my outdoor wood boiler. That's enough for me these days.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Back when I worked as an high pressure boiler operator, if we fired with fuel oil, ours used NG as a pilot to ignite the oil. If the gas didn't light the burner would shut down and no fuel oil was injected into the firebox. Switching over was relatively easy. We'd usually get a call from the gas company telling us the pressure was getting low due to extreme cold or some other reason and would we switch to oil.

Have you ever had the opportunity to re-tube one of those boilers?

I have done a few re-tube jobs, been too many years ago to relate, and no, no pictures.

Edit to add:
I gave up my boiler license a couple years back, (retired), so I'll not be working around any thing larger than my outdoor wood boiler. That's enough for me these days.
Put two new tubes in the boiler this year. We hire that out to boilermakers. They also had to fix the rods that hold the sides together.

I currently only have my special boiler license. I will be taking the next step up hopefully next summer. High pressure license was an elective this year. I chose not to take it. I will have to go back to get it eventually. The test is the same time as our test we need to take to turn out which has a 56% pass rate nation wide, so i didn't want to have to tackle that test and the high pressure test at the same time.

I want my high pressure license, soon they will be adding Carbon dioxide refrigeration to it and then everybody in HVAC will want that license.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
No frame, bolted to the masonry wall by the hinges. Sorry, frame probably means the backside of the gates? The back is an X pattern with a mortise and tenon frame.
Yeah was interested in how the gates themselves were built. Not how they were mounted. Thought maybe you went with a steel frame to hold all of that weight...

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Speaking of that. Has anybody on this forum done a Slurry Brick, German Smear, or mortar wash to existing brick?
I've done quit a bit of brick work, but have never done the smear techniques. It can look a little overdone if you aren't careful. Have you got a pic of the brick?

edit: have you considered repointing with a heavy mortar joint instead of a smear? I'm assuming you are looking for an old world look?

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Clients wanted to upgrade their theeaholds in their new house. Carefully pulled up the old and milled new from poplar. Bought 3 small cans of stain and just mixed till I was happy with a decent match. There moving in tomorrow. Afterwards I'll clear coat and touch up.

IMG_20190923_120742924.jpg
IMG_20190925_144633704.jpg
IMG_20190926_141751775.jpg
IMG_20190926_151908234.jpg
IMG_20190926_151939501.jpg

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Very Nice work Newm. With my sense of colors I'd just went with Curb Yellow (Caution Yellow) to make sure nobody stubbed their toes.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Looks great man, but Poplar? Pretty soft for that piece I would think.
Yeah, agreed but theyre an elderly retired couple who wear slippers so I saved us time and $ going with the poplar.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Look at the way they made the stairs in this place! Drunk and sleepy people beware...

IMG_20191001_114145615.jpg
IMG_20191001_114206729.jpg

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Holy cow thats completly unacceptable.

ive had nightmares about stairways like that. One time i dreamt of working non stop on a house then i go to climb the stairs get to the top and have to lay down, shed my nail bags then wiggle my way beneath celing joist, into and through a plywood tunnel, where i discover ive built a stairway to nowhere in particular.

But that one there Mister is gonna get someone killed.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
In the middle of one the worst tasks I run into...pulling tile and backerboard. Also check out how the kitchen looks without cabinets...

IMG_20190930_151912004.jpg
IMG_20190930_135258063.jpg

IMG_20190930_144625999.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Not to fret StOnEy, they put an osha approved,small, fake potted plant on it to hide the death trap. The longer I work here the crazier it gets. Got another goof coming later.
My head's still spinning from those stairs.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ozarkitecture at it's finest.