• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
A family member was in need of a way to get into her home after having a stroke. It was a privilege to be put to the task of designing and building of a deck and ramp to give her access. Was a long process given my physical liabilities and mostly made it up as I went but managed to pull it off all the same.
View attachment 145471
The husband, who has been by her side through out the 4 month nursing home process and is now the caregiver for the sweet lady, thought it would be good to have a deck to sit on, so we agreed on a 7x15 foot landing that is flush to the door way. We had a 35 inch rise from bottom of door to where the walkway was. It worked out good that the ramp started right at the original area off the drive.

View attachment 145472
Good bye to precast steps and asphalt walkway.

View attachment 145473
Rough framing. Didn't get pics of them but used helical piers. Well worth $160 a pop to not have to dig 11 holes.

The guy wanted all maintenance free materials which are readily available so I used a decking manufactured by Wolf with hidden fasteners using the Camo method.
View attachment 145476

I had a very difficult time finding handrails that would work on a 7 degree slope. I did find one product that is designed to go to at least 5 degrees and with the help of the distributors was able to modify the rails by giving them back cuts so the mounting bracket would slip over them enough to fasten to the post.
View attachment 145474
View attachment 145475

I did have a oh shit moment with the posts. been a long time since I've done one of these and wasn't aware the rules had changed for attaching 4x4's. Used to be able to notch them and screw them right to the sides of the rim joists. Not any more. When fastening to the outside, 2-1/2" carriage bolts are required with one of them to be tied back to the inside framing. Hard to do with all the doubled up framing members. So I used a top mount post system. That reduced the width of the travel lane by 8" (fecking feck feck) but still gave me enough to meet code.
View attachment 145477

So anywho, finished product.
View attachment 145478
i am not familure with the "camo" method ....please explain sir....was unaware of your "physical liabilities" .......curious what you waisncoated it with?

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
i am not familure with the "camo" method ....please explain sir....was unaware of your "physical liabilities" .......curious what you waisncoated it with?
I'll gladly esplain, Mr. ttazz. Camo is a brand name. It clamps on to the deck board and a screw is dropped into each side to achieve a blind fastener.
system2.jpg

Osteo and rhuematoid arthritis, torn rotator cuffs and proxomal bicep tears on both arms plus I have a hard time standing up straight. But other than that, I'm fine. Still got my good looks, in the dark any way.
I was going to put vinyl lattice under deck but that shit is a pain to make look good. So I looked for a vented soffit at a local lumber yard and all the had was a solid rib on either side with a vented strip in the middle. Locally, there are not many vinyl siding suppliers that carry quantities or selection and it takes about 2 weeks to get to the lumber yard. There are warehouses that I can purchase a wife variety but they are 30 miles east and west of me.

engineear

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I’ve been around lurking mostly. Been busy busy for months now. Still banging with ole pops by me side. He’s doing well, so far no complications after the heart attack other than the medicine he has to take for a year makes him a bit of butthead from time to time.

Working for an outfit that really has their stuff together and we get into all sorts of messes these days. Mostly remodel projects but about 6 months back they branched out into water remediation and that has kinda exploded.

They go in and tear out and dehumidify and most times pop and i put things back together, joist, subfloor, snap and lock flooring then trim outs.

Just finished up framing a 2600 footer in Jacksonville about a week back. Going to start one a little north of 4K this Friday if the block layers finish up. Should keep us rocking into December. Got another guy that calls me weekly trying to get me on some of his messes... it’s a good prob to have I suppose.

Lots of stuff going on down here, booming even.

Day one on the last gig here. Slinging up houses out of that old 9duce chevy

View attachment 145537

30 foot 2x6x16 inch lamb beam was a bit much for the two of us, called in the old caterpillar to set her up for us.

View attachment 145538

Couple shots of some joist action

View attachment 145539

Just like the last 50

View attachment 145540

Had to go heavy on that beam because with that cathedral set up we lacked proper places to support the main roof, so it pulls double duty there.

Will post a few moar below.
That's a lot of wood....good job!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
There are warehouses that I can purchase a wife variety but they are 30 miles east and west of me.
I think warehouses selling things, "of the wife variety" go by another name very closely spelled...

Scorpio

Hunter of elusive Beer Virus
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
The wind didn’t blow until it were time to start slamming sheets, as per usual

View attachment 145542

Just out of view in this shot stands a smoking hot dirty blonde milf in a bikini who had just finished asking if we were hiring.

View attachment 145543

Another look at the finished cathedral in the living/kitchen here

View attachment 145544

Is good to see you as well Sir Crackers.

stoned, most people will drive by and say there goes another one, and few will ever understand the talent it takes to do that type of framing. Walking off the site after the end of a day leaves a real sense of accomplishment. Good stuff.

BigJim#1-8

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Wanka,
Bikini Clad Beauties.....You & Brother 'dial seem to have the same good fortune. ???

Good to see you & glad Dad is doing well.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Bad ass Smoothster!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Helping a friend with a bamboo flooring job. Ripped out carpet and gluing down 3/4 T&G bamboo. Look at the high quality baseboard crapsmanship in this place!
IMG_20191121_130613690.jpg
IMG_20191120_163231555.jpg
IMG_20191123_171952922.jpg
IMG_20191123_171754536.jpg

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
OK.....got a question for you finish guys.....on residential baseboard which method of fitting corners do you use........scribe and coping saw...or 45deg angle cuts...??? people do it both ways around here.....(why)....

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
OK.....got a question for you finish guys.....on residential baseboard which method of fitting corners do you use........scribe and coping saw...or 45deg angle cuts...??? people do it both ways around here.....(why)....
45* coping is overkill on base IMO.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I can't imagine that anyone under 80 years routinely copes trim. Most can't do it. It's a valuable skill to have when working on log homes. That pic appears to be coped but got pulled away somehow.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I can't imagine that anyone under 80 years routinely copes trim. Most can't do it. It's a valuable skill to have when working on log homes. That pic appears to be coped but got pulled away somehow.
I think someone cut it short and said phuckit.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I am more prone to miter if it can be caulked. Have yet to see a perfect 45* corner. If it's to be stained, than coping is a good way to close the joints or hide the sins. Crown molding is a different animal all together.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I'm a commercial/industrial guy ...had never heard of coping base trim...several years ago business was slow and I was building where I live now so I sent a supervisor one of my employees out to put the base trim on...he asked me which way I wanted it...I had never heard of coping trim...he said he could do a better job coping so i oked it...was slow but turned out good...wasnt anything special but was wondering your alls experiences

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I'm a commercial/industrial guy ...had never heard of coping base trim...several years ago business was slow and I was building where I live now so I sent a supervisor one of my employees out to put the base trim on...he asked me which way I wanted it...I had never heard of coping trim...he said he could do a better job coping so i oked it...was slow but turned out good...wasnt anything special but was wondering your alls experiences
It is slow coping and I'd rather not do it that way.

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
when using colonial style trim, always 45'd it, then coped it on the 45 line for best fit. Why? because the drywall at the base is not the same as the drywall at the top of the trim, resulting in a 'tilt' and a open joint. Not to mention the drywall doesn't go to the floor like the trim does. Coping is the only way to really get great joints in that application. But there is a cheat, you can 'shim' behind the low end of the base to get it equal to the top and get the joint to come out ok. Coping really doesn't take long unless it is heavy stock, then it is a bitch.

Nowadays, everyone is switching to a 'simpler' base, where everything is butted and go. As you guys state, the talent doesn't exist, nor the willingness to spend the time to do it. Excepting of course, on higher value types.

JMO

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Scorp to negate the taper and gap at the bottom of the Sheetrock I’ll rip half inch length pieces of base, slide in under the rock to fill the gap on each side of inside corner and remove the potential for tilt.

Also I prefab 90% of my inside mitered corners, gluing, fitting then back shooting using a 23 gauge pinner. The result is as near perfection as any cope ever was and requires no face nail near the corner.

Somewhat tedious but well worth the effort for those who give a damn.

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
hammer,

I offer a 'two tail light warranty'

When you can no longer see my tail lights, your warranty just expired!

:beer:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
hammer,

I offer a 'two tail light warranty'

When you can no longer see my tail lights, your warranty just expired!

:beer:
Consider it borrowed!

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
My company motto is: We may not be the cheapest but we're not the best either.

As a teen, we had a this and that business I guess you could call it, known as LP Maintenance. LP standing for Leisure Pace. The motto for that one was: Odd men for odd jobs.

It's good to be good, it also helps to be recognized.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Only ever ran trim for myself, friends and family. Always coped inside corners, actually seemed faster for me to get a good looking joint.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My company motto is: We may not be the cheapest but we're not the best either.

As a teen, we had a this and that business I guess you could call it, known as LP Maintenance. LP standing for Leisure Pace. The motto for that one was: Odd men for odd jobs.

It's good to be good, it also helps to be recognized.
"Hello, this is Jim from Lazy People Maintenance. Just calling back to let you know we're trying to work up the initiative to put a quote together for you but the computer is in the other room. We're happy to announce that we are now offering "virtual maintenance" at unheard of pricing..."

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
New gig on on a hill. A southing 8 am view 25 miles due north of Little Rock.

BCB842A8-5722-4B43-A7FC-EB534782B4F6.jpeg

D44D7218-FD2E-4CB6-AAF4-788766A124E1.jpeg

214464FB-2824-455B-8F27-BE6A2EA4CB42.jpeg

A hair under 4 k feet. We’ve got the floor down and 9 ft walls going up now. Lot of cathedral action inside and detail work on the outside of this one. Will be doing the cornice and lap siding, entire home, and t and g pine on the porch ceilings. Boring stuff.

Some mud for ole Crackers here.

741B8A03-D3EF-4908-91B4-D924BFF8DF89.jpeg

DAD03BBA-4874-484B-BE56-59AD82C0CD88.jpeg

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
"Hello, this is Jim from Lazy People Maintenance. Just calling back to let you know we're trying to work up the initiative to put a quote together for you but the computer is in the other room. We're happy to announce that we are now offering "virtual maintenance" at unheard of pricing..."
But wait, that's not all. Sign now and we will give you 10% off our 1000% mark up.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Did the 60 yr old finish it by hand , hard trowel finish , or did it get a light broom finish?...

Probably gets carpet or wood floors anyway...

I would have used a small trowel machine if it was an exposed floor. Make that sumbitch shine.

Is that a garage floor?....