• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
One thing leads to another. Pull the carpet and found some moisture next thing you know we're rerooting gutters and ripping apart walls.

IMG_20191126_122237412.jpg
IMG_20191126_120816716.jpg
IMG_20191126_123424060.jpg

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
One thing leads to another. Pull the carpet and found some moisture next thing you know we're rerooting gutters and ripping apart walls.

View attachment 147419 View attachment 147420 View attachment 147421

Wife: ...but darling you where only supposed to be painting the skirting board!

Husband: yeah, well... never liked that half of the house anyway.

Wife: {thinks} bozo!

Husband: {thinks} somebody up there hates me!

Moral of the story... never pull loose threads! LOL.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Finished the floor today. Was around 1000sf. Two large rooms, a small room and large closet. We started at the door jams and worked out from both sides after some calculations.

Just need to float the wall again, texture. Found a decent replacement match for the rotten baseboards and installed after taking pics. The engineered bamboo goes together tight ridiculously easy. Easier than snapping together Legos. In the past I've nailed it down but this was the first time I glued it down. The same process was done at the other end of the house a few years ago so the efficacy is good. I really like the look too. S'gota nice warm tone.

IMG_20191129_123536222.jpg
IMG_20191128_143538426.jpg
IMG_20191129_151840336.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Behind the scenes

IMG_20191127_150758809.jpg

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I've seen that flooring that snaps together like that, but 'floats' on a thin (foam plastic ?) pad. Does that stuff work ok?

BF

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I've seen that flooring that snaps together like that, but 'floats' on a thin (foam plastic ?) pad. Does that stuff work ok?

BF
Not sure if your question is open to all BF, but I'll add my opinion whether you want it or not. The snap and click does make a good flooring. Even the $.99/sq stuff will do a sufficient job as long as it doesn't get wet. I've taken a hammer to the face of one board and it barely dinged it. Lots of people like the bamboo for the looks and sustainability. The underlayment is a moisture barrier that can also act as a sound reducer.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

BF
I've installed high grade versions that are pretty impressive in looks and quality and concur with hh.

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
You said the flooring you put down, misty, was glued. The flooring I was looking at is not fastened to the floor anywhere, it's just laying on the foam pad. Does that work? Doesn't seem like a good plan to me, but on the other hand it sure would make removal easy.

BF

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
You said the flooring you put down, misty, was glued. The flooring I was looking at is not fastened to the floor anywhere, it's just laying on the foam pad. Does that work? Doesn't seem like a good plan to me, but on the other hand it sure would make removal easy.

BF
Unless lower quality or poorly installed, you really can't tell that floating floors float by walking on them. Once locked together ( the tongue and groove actually lock together) the weight of the floor will hold itself down just fine.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Unless lower quality or poorly installed, you really can't tell that floating floors float by walking on them. Once locked together ( the tongue and groove actually lock together) the weight of the floor will hold itself down just fine.
Tis true they don't like to move even after 10 or so rows have been laid down.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Had to contemplate how to treat the floor to tile area and decided to go with this and used a tan caulk to fill the void. The color matched great to the bamboo and not too shabby to the rose colored grout. Having to split the differences between the walls, doorways and tile, ended up with a more narrow strip than desired but it worked out.

Was able to get a third coat, texture and paint on the wall repair. This is one of my favorite aspects of my job...the artistic challenge of restoration is fun and rewarding.(the line is a shadow)

IMG_20191130_165003253.jpg
IMG_20191130_164044135.jpg

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Had to contemplate how to treat the floor to tile area and decided to go with this and used a tan caulk to fill the void. The color matched great to the bamboo and not too shabby to the rose colored grout. Having to split the differences between the walls, doorways and tile, ended up with a more narrow strip than desired but it worked out.

Was able to get a third coat, texture and paint on the wall repair. This is one of my favorite aspects of my job...the artistic challenge of restoration is fun and rewarding.(the line is a shadow)

View attachment 147644 View attachment 147645
What hole?

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Is it possible to put floor heat under a bamboo floor like that? How thick would it end up total?

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
I admittedly havent paid much attention to this thread until recently - but i gotta say...

This is a bad ass thread...

Real men doing real work with real integrity...

This thread is America at its finest...and I gotta tell you - I freakin love America. Its ideals. Its principles...Its example...

I know that sounds corny...but its the truth. You guys ROCK!!!

May God richly bless each and every one of you...

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I admittedly havent paid much attention to this thread until recently - but i gotta say...

This is a bad ass thread...

Real men doing real work with real integrity...

This thread is America at its finest...and I gotta tell you - I freakin love America. Its ideals. Its principles...Its example...

I know that sounds corny...but its the truth. You guys ROCK!!!

May God richly bless each and every one of you...
Right on, brother straw — https://goldismoney2.com/threads/workin-man.117461/post-1201846

Bottom Feeder

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Love those hi-tech clamps!
Lightweight, easy to apply and disposable.

One of the most obvious benefits of the blue tape is that it allows you to walk on the freshly laid floor without kicking a couple courses out on your way to hitting yer arse on the floor!

Last edited:

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Lightweight, easy to apply and disposable.

One of the most obvious benefits of the blue tape is that it allows you to walk on the freshly laid floor without kicking out a couple courses out on your way to hitting yer arse on the floor!
another curiosity....looks like your using tube glue....are you squirt n troweling it on the bottom of the wood? asking your process because everything i have ever done was a floor troweled product....looks like your method allows for applying one piece at a time if needed?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
another curiosity....looks like your using tube glue....are you squirt n troweling it on the bottom of the wood? asking your process because everything i have ever done was a floor troweled product....looks like your method allows for applying one piece at a time if needed?
You guessed it. It should have been troweled but this was the method chosen by the homeowner.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Looks like a D3.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Client wants glass tile backsplash removed and floated to match the wall. Got started on it today. Pretty much what I anticipated in terms of not cooperating. While banging the tile off the undermount lights blew their bulbs and a breaker tripped. The houses in this upscale community are wired like crap. Anyway, here's how we're going so far...

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Client wants glass tile backsplash removed and floated to match the wall. Got started on it today. Pretty much what I anticipated in terms of not cooperating. While banging the tile off the undermount lights blew their bulbs and a breaker tripped. The houses in this upscale community are wired like crap. Anyway, here's how we're going so far...

Ugh. Looks like work and a lot of it.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ugh. Looks like work and a lot of it.
Let's see within the first 15 minutes we had holes, sparks, flying glass, blood, cursing....so yeah I agree.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I think I woulda just cut the wall board out tile n all....put in a new piece n be done with it....
Thought about it but still need to get through grout and tile first. The option of working around all the electric boxes coupled with not knowing what's behind there in terms of framing/layers etc. I opted to get started and decide as I go. At this point it will be much easier for me to work with what I've got rather than tear into it further.and create butt joints

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Someone ran the under cabinet wiring between the tile and drywall...I was wondering why it wasn't chipping away!
IMG_20191203_110619228.jpg
IMG_20191203_105910730.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Had better luck with the other backsplash. It wasn't as hard to reach so I was able to stay behind the tile and get a clean surface to work with.

This is the secret weapon for such conditions... 'hot' mud. Hardens in 5 min. I use it to fill large voids before running tape. Get it at Home Cheapo for sub $5

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Had better luck with the other backsplash. It wasn't as hard to reach so I was able to stay behind the tile and get a clean surface to work with.

This is the secret weapon for such conditions... 'hot' mud. Hardens in 5 min. I use it to fill large voids before running tape. Get it at Home Cheapo for sub $5

5 minutes? Why so long? Jeesh.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++