• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
A little project just completed. Clients wanted to utilize the wall under the stairs to store games. They had the idea and together we designed it but I builted it. Coat rack was already there but we incorporated it into the compartment face and they are also used as handles. Wall was not plumb and the opening wasn't square. Had to work with what ever room we could get. Stands about 41" and goes back 30".

KIMG1043 (2).JPG

KIMG1041 (2).JPG

KIMG1042 (2).JPG

KIMG1044 (2).JPG

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
That’s very cool hammerhead...I like the way you guys think.

Speaking of thinking ,
Not wanting to be sinking ,
Head over hills or I’ll be drinking ,

How hard can it be to build and install a stinking secret door?.....

A friend had a 24” door going to a root cellar and was thinking about something like this......

0B8C39B0-D6EF-404D-AF27-C157C5C8C0CD.jpeg

Similar to these when finished.......

(It’s freezing outside and I’m outta indoor stuff to do)......

81C7446C-1F25-4D7B-AC8E-7EFD60D1CCE6.jpeg

6C28E540-E06D-4011-B1EF-923214525C15.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
A little project just completed. Clients wanted to utilize the wall under the stairs to store games. They had the idea and together we designed it but I builted it. Coat rack was already there but we incorporated it into the compartment face and they are also used as handles. Wall was not plumb and the opening wasn't square. Had to work with what ever room we could get. Stands about 41" and goes back 30".

View attachment 151818
View attachment 151819

View attachment 151821

View attachment 151822
Very nice HH. That's not as easy as it looks

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
One of my good clients had a brand new patio installed, it was a nightmare to get them to finish and this is the end result. Anybody know what this white spalding looking stuff is? The slate and grout appear to have all been sealed. I did a small test with muriatic acid and it did turn the white gray but you can still see the marking. Any infos appreciated, thanks. BTW A couple of the smaller areas are grout 'splash' but not the majority but I'm unconvinced it came from within the slate.
IMG_20200115_141050712.jpg

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
One of my good clients had a brand new patio installed, it was a nightmare to get them to finish and this is the end result. Anybody know what this white spalding looking stuff is? The slate and grout appear to have all been sealed. I did a small test with muriatic acid and it did turn the white gray but you can still see the marking. Any infos appreciated, thanks. BTW A couple of the smaller areas are grout 'splash' but not the majority but I'm unconvinced it came from within the slate.
View attachment 151954
https://www.thebalance.com/definition-of-efflorescence-1798544

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
View attachment 151954
Have no idea about the white stuff.
But not happy with the joints if this is a recent job.
I would have flushed & brushed a little better, & I'm totally an amateur.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Have no idea about the white stuff.
But not happy with the joints if this is a recent job.
I would have flushed & brushed a little better, & I'm totally an amateur.
Agreed. She fired the first crew too. It's a sloppy job for what she paid for. They also did a shit job on the sod they used to replace the grass they killed.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Looks like they did those mortar joints with their feet, that's some sloppy masonry. They didn't bother to shape the stone up at all, bunch of jagged edges with stone chips stuck in as filler.

I would not have paid those hacks, I'd of run them off and called the cops (if I was the homeowner).

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Is that your work Spinal?

Golden Regards
Uncle

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
After looking at those mortar joints I’d almost be tempted to to tear out and redo....

Pitiful...
Curious about this one.
How are the stone & wood mated?
Is there a seam of calk between the 2 materials?
Stuff is going to expand & contract at different rates I would guess.
What is the sub floor?

View attachment 151971

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Good questions except 1...

How is stone and wood mated?...what do you mean mated?..

There might be caulk but in my opinion the cement butted up against the wood is no big deal...

There’s probably no expansion contraction because that floor looks to be indoors and no freeze thaw cycles , probably a controlled temp all year...

It looks pretty cool but I would have put the wood floor down first with a straight edge and then cut my stone to fit.....

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

There might be caulk but in my opinion the cement butted up against the wood is no big deal...

There’s probably no expansion contraction because that floor looks to be indoors and no freeze thaw cycles , probably a controlled temp all year...

It looks pretty cool but I would have put the wood floor down first with a straight edge and then cut my stone to fit.....
Yeah i think it would look cool to make it look like a gently curved path instead of so haggard.

To avoid voiding the warranty, flooring installation instructions tell you to keep about a quarter inch all around for expansion and contraction. Even the locking stuff.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

Stone/brick and wood don't exactly mate, but they abut just fine and remain stable. There are lots of many 100's of years old half timber framed building with stone, brick, and plaster infill in Germany.

I did a timber framed addition on a project in Hill Country and infilled with stone. It looked cool, but was cold as hell in the winter, zero R value.

I recently did a timber frame on one wall in a remodel and infilled with brick, this time it is warm and cozy because it is inside a 12" wall with foam sheet insulation between the fackwerk and masonry wall. And like you said, Spinal, being inside and with climate control, there is no visible expansion and contraction.

Note on pic - the door, lighting, ceiling are all being replaced, just a rough construction pic.

fachwerk.jpg

Last edited:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
One cannot mix wood with cement or brick , I get that , if that’s what you mean by “mate”......

I’ve used a few miles of redwood and cedar 1 x 4 and 1x6 and even a few 2x4’s as decorative expansion joints on stuff like exposed aggregate floors.

On outdoor masonry work where the products is exposed to freeze thaw cycles , one better have their chit together on where to place the expansion joint or they will be asking for future problems of cracks and chips breaking off here and there..

Obviously the cedar and redwood last forever and mate pretty good with concrete and masonry products that are outdoors...

4413491D-4732-4453-819F-1802BF068BDF.jpeg
323A65B2-3757-4A23-8470-54B2C0E5EE30.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Im subscribed to a YouTuber, After Prison Show. He's a real good bloke who is always embarking on a new money making endeavor. So he just bought a small house to flip and of course the guy that he had working for him ripped him off in the middle of doing half-assed work. So he hires a couple of guys off of Facebook Marketplace to do drywall and this is the result... Joe and his crew did the demolition of the ceilings and they left most of the corners intact and so the drywallers painstakingly scribed around the jagged bits of plaster ceiling which was is at a different height. So now these poor ammature drywallers are trying to bridge the gap with corner bead. Unbelievable.
Screenshot_20200121-163621.png
Screenshot_20200121-163338.png
Screenshot_20200121-163710.png
Screenshot_20200121-163653.png
Screenshot_20200121-163719.png
Screenshot_20200121-164004.png

Screenshot_20200121-165845.png

Screenshot_20200121-170343.png

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hurts just to look.
And I'm not all that great at drywall, but I've done much better than that.
It's a full on dumpster fire over there!

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Quit my job today. I will start at a new company next Monday. They needed me now and my current shop understood. Opportunity I couldn't pass up. I will be working for a large Refrigeration company. They have no HVAC guys, only refer guys. They signed a 3 year maintenance contract with one of coca colas largest bottling plants in the midwest. I will be their main HVAC maintenance guy. Get to go to the same spot every day. Maintain all the equipment the way I want. Looking like allot of the days out on the roof in the cold are over for the time being. Seems like the gig of a lifetime and I will be the perfect guy for it. Its all old equipment that the old man at our shop taught me. He was happier than hell I got it. Also said to call on any issues I have and he will help me though them. They have so much equipment I shouldn't get bored in 3 years. If I do then I can just bail after the contract is up.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Quit my job today. I will start at a new company next Monday. They needed me now and my current shop understood. Opportunity I couldn't pass up. I will be working for a large Refrigeration company. They have no HVAC guys, only refer guys. They signed a 3 year maintenance contract with one of coca colas largest bottling plants in the midwest. I will be their main HVAC maintenance guy. Get to go to the same spot every day. Maintain all the equipment the way I want. Looking like allot of the days out on the roof in the cold are over for the time being. Seems like the gig of a lifetime and I will be the perfect guy for it. Its all old equipment that the old man at our shop taught me. He was happier than hell I got it. Also said to call on any issues I have and he will help me though them. They have so much equipment I shouldn't get bored in 3 years. If I do then I can just bail after the contract is up.
Awesome. High five Davy!

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Good for you! Satisfying work is hard to come by.
Im pumped. I love maintenance in large facilities. Nobody bothers you. Keep the stuff running properly and everybody is happy. They are usually open to spend the money and take the time to do the proper fix.

This will be almost no- dealing with customers, going to sketchy areas of MLPS in the middle of the night and on call. Right now im on call every 4 weeks for a week. At the new company it will be 2 days a month.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Great to seeing you leaving on good terms. Hope you don't get bored at the new place. Got a crew working underneath you?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Mighty impressive work ethic!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Anybody have tips or tricks for removing wallpaper? Somebody told me yesterday to use Downy Fabric Softener spray that on and it pulls it off.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
spray bottle, warm water, and a 6" and 12" drywall knife to scrape the backing,
it does go pretty good, more the thought that gets ya rather than the actual doing it

never have had it all come off easy peasy as some claim,

with heavy commercial paper, been able to do that, but not with resi stuff

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
spray bottle, warm water, and a 6" and 12" drywall knife to scrape the backing,
it does go pretty good, more the thought that gets ya rather than the actual doing it

never have had it all come off easy peasy as some claim,

with heavy commercial paper, been able to do that, but not with resi stuff
Preciate the advice scorp.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Preciate the advice scorp.
Mother in laws work the best. Our house had a ton of wallpaper. The mother in law had just retired and it was winter in MN. She took all the wallpaper off in our house. Mostly what you need it time and patients. Ours was a pain in the ass. We just used the spray that you get at menards.