• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Mother in laws work the best. Our house had a ton of wallpaper. The mother in law had just retired and it was winter in MN. She took all the wallpaper off in our house. Mostly what you need it time and patients. Ours was a pain in the ass. We just used the spray that you get at menards.
What are the best kind of patients to use? I can probably stop at the VA hospital on the way there.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Don't be in such a hurry........ 20-50 years from now it will pull right off or you won't care.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Don't be in such a hurry........ 20-50 years from now it will pull right off or you won't care.
Ain't gonna make any fiat slips that way though.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
What are the best kind of patients to use? I can probably stop at the VA hospital on the way there.
Bldg 5 at the Wichita VA...

It’s the psych unit...

I did a year there because I was a marijuana addict......

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Anybody have tips or tricks for removing wallpaper? Somebody told me yesterday to use Downy Fabric Softener spray that on and it pulls it off.
The one time I removed wall paper, I rented a steam wall paper remover. It was still a mess, but it gets the job done. The wallpaper I removed was probably 75 years old at the time. Looks like there are also DYI steams machine available.

http://www.topgoodsforhome.com/indoor/tools/best-wallpaper-steamer/

Homey Depot rents them. Any good rental place should have one.

https://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/Electric-Wallpaper-Steamer/LMB150/index.html

Last edited:

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Bldg 5 at the Wichita VA...

It’s the psych unit...

I did a year there because I was a marijuana addict......
Marijuana addict? Did it take one or two days to withdraw? Seriously though, the modern high potency stains do have more addictive qualities, it's not like quitting poncho.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
In the days before sheetrock, walls and cielings were sheathed with shiplap 1x6's and wallpapered over. Then when sheetrock became popular, people would cover the cielings with 1/2" and walls with 1/4" sheetrock. Wallpaper was left in place. The existing 3/4" thick door trim and baseboard was left in place and feathered with mud. Worked great.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
This is a little off topic, maybe, it's actually a working man's dream. I found out about this place the day it was listed for sale and could have bought it. The only problem was it is 2500 miles from me and I'm not looking to move. I have some regret not buying it, I love old mills and old tools. $85k for property plus 13k for tools

https://www.oldhousedreams.com/2020/01/14/1864-mill-in-bryant-pond-me/

mill.jpg
mill1.jpg
mill2.jpg
mill3.jpg
mill4.jpg
mill5.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is a little off topic, maybe, it's actually a working man's dream. I found out about this place the day it was listed for sale and could have bought it. The only problem was it is 2500 miles from me and I'm not looking to move. I have some regret not buying it, I love old mills and old tools. $85k for property plus 13k for tools

https://www.oldhousedreams.com/2020/01/14/1864-mill-in-bryant-pond-me/

View attachment 152673 View attachment 152674 View attachment 152675 View attachment 152676 View attachment 152677 View attachment 152678
Gorgeous property. Guaranteed that bloke was a cool dude.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Weird one this.

IMG_20200127_142710460.jpg

IMG_20200127_143147609.jpg

Last edited:

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
What are we looking at, a pair of tall louvered windows or patio doors? Where is the moisture or water coming from? Carpet on both sides?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What are we looking at, a pair of tall louvered windows or patio doors? Where is the moisture or water coming from? Carpet on both sides?
Yes, luovered French doors. Opens to outside sits on brick stepped up a foot off the ground. Turns out the irrigation was shooting at the door and got under the threshold.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yes, luovered French doors. Opens to outside sits on brick stepped up a foot off the ground. Turns out the irrigation was shooting at the door and got under the threshold.
Shouldn't be too bad since you know where the water is coming from that rotted the threshold. I'm always alarmed when I find rotted wood, it never seems to be just in one area, spreads anywhere water can travel.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Shouldn't be too bad since you know where the water is coming from that rotted the threshold. I'm always alarmed when I find rotted wood, it never seems to be just in one area, spreads where water can travel.
Yes exactly. Sometimes you get mystery rot because you just don't know where it originally came from. Like att that log home I just finished working on where water from the well was leaking through the electrical conduit under the driveway and into the basement... WTF over.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yes exactly. Sometimes you get mystery rot because you just don't know where it originally came from. Like att that log home I just finished working on where water from the well was leaking through the electrical conduit under the driveway and into the basement... WTF over.
I had a situation where the bottom plates were below grade from different slipshod remodels and the bottom plates were composted to soil. F'n disaster.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I had a situation where the bottom plates were below grade from different slipshod remodels and the bottom plates were composted to soil. F'n disaster.
Fustercluck!

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
There is a small house at the top of my street that sat vacant for a few decades. One guy in the hood bought it and other than putting new shingles over the existing shingles in below freezing temps, I doubt he did anything else. So some newlyweds that also lived in this neighborhood bought the place for 170k. They found all sills were rotted out and the roof leaked from ice back up. Place was built on a slab. Short story long, the kids got divorced, bank took possession of the house and it was bought last year for 150k.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
There is a small house at the top of my street that sat vacant for a few decades. One guy in the hood bought it and other than putting new shingles over the existing shingles in below freezing temps, I doubt he did anything else. So some newlyweds that also lived in this neighborhood bought the place for 170k. They found all sills were rotted out and the roof leaked from ice back up. Place was built on a slab. Short story long, the kids got divorced, bank took possession of the house and it was bought last year for 150k.
Did they divorce because the house was a wreck? A remodel is major test for a relationship if they are greenhorns.

In my case, I knew what I was getting into, but it's always worse than you think it will be. One thing people don't usually realize when they take on a fixer upper or remodel, is it is twice as much work as building new. You have to demo, sometimes rig up supports, clean everything up, and dispose of the refuse (which has gotten expensive) before you can even begin. And if you are making new openings, another pain in the ass compared to new.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Did they divorce because the house was a wreck? A remodel is major test for a relationship if they are greenhorns.

In my case, I knew what I was getting into, but it's always worse than you think it will be. One thing people don't usually realize when they take on a fixer upper or remodel, is it is twice as much work as building new. You have to demo, sometimes rig up supports, clean everything up, and dispose of the refuse (which has gotten expensive) before you can even begin. And if you are making new openings, another pain in the ass compared to new.
Infidelity caused the break up. You're right about remodels. Sometimes it's cheaper to start from scratch.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So I cleaned the effervescence with a diluted muriatic acid solution, scrubbed it, let it sit, rinsed it off came back a few days later and it was all back!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The Arkansas weather decimated the interior of this door insert. First time I've seen this. Anybody manage to just replace the insert? Probably not much more to just to get a new door anyway.

IMG_20200203_133855552_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200203_133950724.jpg
IMG_20200203_133859768_HDR.jpg

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Anybody have tips or tricks for removing wallpaper? Somebody told me yesterday to use Downy Fabric Softener spray that on and it pulls it off.
I just caught this post. I've found using a product called DIF works very well with little effort but one needs to be patient and let the solution do the work. Score the paper with a paper tiger
images (1).jpeg
the more you score, the more remover gets behind the paper.
Using a hand pump sprayer, soak the paper with the product mixed as directed. Cover the floor with a water proof drop cloth. You'll need to spray it a few times. Paper peels right off.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I just caught this post. I've found using a product called DIF works very well with little effort but one needs to be patient and let the solution do the work. Score the paper with a paper tiger View attachment 153309 the more you score, the more remover gets behind the paper.
Using a hand pump sprayer, soak the paper with the product mixed as directed. Cover the floor with a water proof drop cloth. You'll need to spray it a few times. Paper peels right off.
Thanks HH. Got that tool the udder day. Gonna start trying to remove tomorrow/Wednesday.

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Anybody manage to just replace the insert?
new,
those inserts should have screws on the inside holding the 2 halves together,
and yep, replacing is no big deal, insert only, you can order those

have to be careful though, sometimes charge close to the same for the insert as the whole slab

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Some of my current project. Got rolling on it today. Need to do some mudding and taping around the new fireplace and paint. The bathroom suffer damage from a tornado a couple months back and they took the opportunity to put in a new shower, a new bathtub and counters and new tile all around. The tile guys did nice work.
I'll be removing the wallpaper and painting the bathroom and bedroom too along with some other misc tasks including repairing that interior door rot.

IMG_20200204_151701347.jpg

IMG_20200204_151716970.jpg

IMG_20200204_151735993.jpg

IMG_20200204_151723825.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
new,
those inserts should have screws on the inside holding the 2 halves together,
and yep, replacing is no big deal, insert only, you can order those

have to be careful though, sometimes charge close to the same for the insert as the whole slab
I found out the door was originally from a now defunct outlet which makes the glass a mismatch and a 4 week wait so I'll just toss in a new in stock door.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Looks like you got some nice work for a change. Usually by the time people call for help, everything is shit.
Couldn't ask for better clients. They've left for a month, gave me the keys and a deposit. These are the same folks I did that backsplash delete for.

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
new,

part of the problem with our corporate throw away society,
they do this stuff on purpose,

run into it all the time

then these corps want to tell us how 'environmental friendly' they are!

uggggghhhh, shut up scorp

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
new,

part of the problem with our corporate throw away society,
they do this stuff on purpose,

run into it all the time

then these corps want to tell us how 'environmental friendly' they are!

uggggghhhh, shut up scorp
Most houses in developments, even up to the scale that these million dollar houses are at, are made with bulk manufactured crap. Cheap ass vinyl windows, cheap ass doors etc. The difference in the nicer homes is that they have nicer "dressing" like a few nice units(fancy front door/entry windows) to hide the rest(of the bottom shelf doors and windows).

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
you said it new,
with the stuff I am doing now, it is exactly that way

the cost of construction is up so much vs wages, that prices are outpacing the slaves ability to manage the property for the banker.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I found the eternal secret to wallpaper removal...

IMG_20200205_125550238.jpg
IMG_20200205_125606992.jpg
IMG_20200205_125712050.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Made super quick work of removing the wallpaper. Had the main bath area and the water closet too. The granite guys also installed countertops and backsplashes today. Moving right along! Now to float, texture and paint.

IMG_20200204_151735993.jpg

IMG_20200205_142201495.jpg
IMG_20200205_154641493.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
It was just a crap shoot. The paper is heavy and quality which helped. We took most of it off dry and used moisture to get the paper plyable. Some very small areas were very stubborn, particularly where the drywall paper was not skimmed over. It pealed much better off of the floated areas.

So the real secret is just getting lucky. Sorry to disappoint.