• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

workin man

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
A most invaluable tool for log home construction, as hammers and chisels and sweat were used before. The guys who assembled mine used them to cut out every electrical outlet and I used one with a sanding attachment to sand the corner joinery.
Did they just make a series of small cuts and then chisel them out?

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Crazyness....

We used Behr Premium Ultra Paint & primer in one on the ceiling and walls. The sheen was flat but once painted there was an obvious sheen. The paint guy says that they've been having problems with this particular product doing that same thing. So they gave us some new paint and we used "dead flat" on the ceiling.

Meanwhile there were some pretty hefty interpersonal conflicts taking place today. Added to that was the plumber having messed up by not installing gas for the range. Meanwhile he did this:

Then as we were wrapping up today there was a water leak by the new toilet. It was a manic Monday for sure. There was something in the air today. I hope it blows by before tomorrow!
What are we looking at here? What is the reason for the grey mortar smeared on the white mortar?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What are we looking at here? What is the reason for the grey mortar smeared on the white mortar?
the picture was to show the brick blow out from when he drilled the hole for the dryer vent. The gray is the mortar repair done to the cracks that were in the brick. The brick's going to be getting painted gray.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Landscapers original estimate was 20 grand. Turned in a bill today for 37,000. Good, trustworthy guy, but where do you ended up having to do was a lot more than anybody bargained for.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Here's my bar, laid every brick, formed the bar top, laid the concrete, and polished it.

View attachment 168424
great job...heres a few of pix of the one i did in my place 8-9yrs ago took me 3 months did all the tops and backspashes before concrete was cool..all formed and poured in place...not sure i would do it again LOL

Attachments

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
great job...heres a few of pix of the one i did in my place 8-9yrs ago took me 3 months did all the tops and backspashes before concrete was cool..all formed and poured in place...not sure i would do it again LOL
That's fantastic! No matter how smooth you finish the wet concrete, it still takes a massive effort to polish it. I'll bet you had slurry everywhere, lol. I've done lots of things I'm not sure I would do again - both feet and no looking back!

Did you have Changs book back then? I think I bought it around that time, lent it out and never got it back.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
That's fantastic! No matter how smooth you finish the wet concrete, it still takes a massive effort to polish it. I'll bet you had slurry everywhere, lol. I've done lots of things I'm not sure I would do again - both feet and no looking back!

Did you have Changs book back then? I think I bought it around that time, lent it out and never got it back.
Lol...no clue what changs is....figured out my own process did samples ...the the work.....absolutely zero wet finishing....poured it ....wire brushed it...then used a self leveling epoxy glaze on it....years later it still looks the same

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Couple weeks ago I performed a fatal flaw... Stretching my tape measure beyond its tipping point and ruined it. It was a 25-foot FatMax. The other day my carpenter and I were at Home Cheapo and we found one package of two fat Max's for twenty bucks, which is half price, so I bought them and gave him one and now we're both happy again. Last year I broke his FatMax and bought him a cheaper replacement so a good time to pay him back. They claim the stand out on these new ones is 14 ft.... We determined the only way that's possible is if you have at least a 6-foot wingspan and hold your arm out on the extended part of the tape as far out as you can. My favorite tape measure though for sure. I've had a bunch of FatMax products and I've been happy with all of them.

IMG_20200617_151251376.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I looked at his work years ago when looking into this topic. Decided it was too much work and would revisit in the future. Glad you brought it up again.
Once you get set up for it, get a wet sanding/polishing rig, get a stock of diamond wet pads, and do it a few times, you can produce some really nice stuff. If you ever do an outdoor kitchen for somebody, you can make it unique and durable. Using white portland with different dyes makes the colors real rich.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Once you get set up for it, get a wet sanding/polishing rig, get a stock of diamond wet pads, and do it a few times, you can produce some really nice stuff. If you ever do an outdoor kitchen for somebody, you can make it unique and durable. Using white portland with different dyes makes the colors real rich.
I'm into it man, thank you for the encouragement. In the past I didn't have enough patience for that type of work but as I mature it's more appealing and I've learned to appreciate its rich rewards.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Well..... we're in a worse case scenario.

Plumber installed toilets at South end of house couple days ago. Yesterday I noticed a leak around the toilet base in the mail bath.
... The shut-off seemed dry so we figured it was an unseated wax ring. Tried flushing and it wouldn't flush. We went to the other toilet and when you flush it water came out between the bowl in the tank just a little bit and then would suck back in. Strange.

Today we ran the tubs and the toilet was bubbling. That plumber has been fired and new plumbers came today. They brought two snakes and figured they could unplug the lines. No-go they ended up running into something very solid. They even brought the snake up on the Roof to go down through the vent because of the T joint at the junction outside. First time I've seen that.

Next thing you know they're under the house digging out around the sewer line to try to gain access and with a flashlight they said it looked like it had bricks in it. He said whatever his snake was hitting, was completely solid.

They tried to run the snake from the clean out backwards to push from that side and that's when they ran into a bunch of mud and eventually the snake wouldn't penetrate further.

Meanwhile we were on the phone with the landscaper who says that when he was digging against the house they came across that pipe or hole but thought it was something old and they apparently plugged up the hole with bricks.

Long story short the sewer line runs directly under the newly installed AC unit so we're going to have to move the AC unit get the backhoe back in and dig it back out create a new junction hopefully on the other side of this blockage. The landscaper's a good guy and readily admitted he may have accidentally caused the problem. He just came out and now we need to get the AC guys over to move that in to arrange it so that his equipment isn't tied up and the plumbers can get any of the same day but they are already booked so we got a puzzle on our hands.

Weeks back

Today
IMG_20200618_160508831.jpg

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Well..... we're in a worse case scenario.

Plumber installed toilets at South end of house couple days ago. Yesterday I noticed a leak around the toilet base in the mail bath.
... The shut-off seemed dry so we figured it was an unseated wax ring. Tried flushing and it wouldn't flush. We went to the other toilet and when you flush it water came out between the bowl in the tank just a little bit and then would suck back in. Strange.

Today we ran the tubs and the toilet was bubbling. That plumber has been fired and new plumbers came today. They brought two snakes and figured they could unplug the lines. No-go they ended up running into something very solid. They even brought the snake up on the Roof to go down through the vent because of the T joint at the junction outside. First time I've seen that.

Next thing you know they're under the house digging out around the sewer line to try to gain access and with a flashlight they said it looked like it had bricks in it. He said whatever his snake was hitting, was completely solid.

They tried to run the snake from the clean out backwards to push from that side and that's when they ran into a bunch of mud and eventually the snake wouldn't penetrate further.

Meanwhile we were on the phone with the landscaper who says that when he was digging against the house they came across that pipe or hole but thought it was something old and they apparently plugged up the hole with bricks.

Long story short the sewer line runs directly under the newly installed AC unit so we're going to have to move the AC unit get the backhoe back in and dig it back out create a new junction hopefully on the other side of this blockage. The landscaper's a good guy and readily admitted he may have accidentally caused the problem. He just came out and now we need to get the AC guys over to move that in to arrange it so that his equipment isn't tied up and the plumbers can get any of the same day but they are already booked so we got a puzzle on our hands.

Weeks back

Today
View attachment 169462

awwwww the life of a contractor.....did i tell you i retired .....stress will do that to you.....good luck sir....

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
awwwww the life of a contractor.....did i tell you i retired .....stress will do that to you.....good luck sir....
Fortunately I'm not the GC on this project! I'm sharing the role of lead carpenter, painter and job lead.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Masking the exterior... quite tedious.

IMG_20200619_144424184.jpg
IMG_20200619_144408504.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
You're going to make an excellent landlord. I hope your tenants are prosperous and appreciative.
We are shooting for the highest rents in the area so hopefully our Tennants will be those with their head together. My partner is very good at screening people. In his fourplexes he shoots for single women in grad school.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Landscrapers came and located the drain.... fortunately intact. Waiting on plumbers.

Last edited:

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Landscrapers came and located the drain.... fortunately intact. Waiting on plumbers.

One clusterfuck after another! My morale would have been beat down by this job.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Planning to use the cast iron as CONDUIT for 3" schedule 40. He's cutting the old iron pipe now

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Friend had a house built. They had to grind a trench through limestone to attach to the sewer 1500 ft away. Had a grinder & lift pump & spent a fortune putting it in. Sewer never worked right always plugging up & could never figure it out. Years go by and problem after problem after backup after backup. Finally had a guy put a camera through the pipe. They found a stake driven right through the center of the pipe. They put up power pole's and when they needed a guide wire to keep one straight guess where they anchored it? Yep the only soft place right where the pipe trench was.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Still masking the exterior today. Tomorroww going to run a thin bead of caulk around the windows then be priming Wednesday. The little gray square at bottom right of window is the color. Flat gray.

Landscaper's due back in the morning to back fill and reset rocks.

IMG_20200622_150118374.jpg

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Friend had a house built. They had to grind a trench through limestone to attach to the sewer 1500 ft away. Had a grinder & lift pump & spent a fortune putting it in. Sewer never worked right always plugging up & could never figure it out. Years go by and problem after problem after backup after backup. Finally had a guy put a camera through the pipe. They found a stake driven right through the center of the pipe. They put up power pole's and when they needed a guide wire to keep one straight guess where they anchored it? Yep the only soft place right where the pipe trench was.
My older brother picked up developing a road that my dad started 15 years prior. The whole project was done in phases. After the 2nd phase was completed and houses built and occupied the homeowners noticed a rank smell. We went and popped manhole covers to check sewer lines. First few were bone dry. Got to one that was filled to the top and more up the line were the same way. I noticed prophylactics don't sink. Called in a sewer company and we started fishing a snake from the dry hole. Yours truly was the guy working the snake. Probably 6' below grade. I start hearing a slow gurgling sound and the guy up top advised me to exit immediately. No sooner that I climbed out there was a blasting stream of waste. Bells were probably sounding at the sewer treatment plant.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I hate painted brick. Natural brick ages well and always looks attractive.
Same
The brick's had lots of cracks and have been repaired so it'll look better painted in this instance.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Same
The brick's had lots of cracks and have been repaired so it'll look better painted in this instance.
You could do a German Smear and take care of the issues.

German smear or a heavy mortar method uses mortar and sand on the joints and brick and then you rub off part of the mortar on the brick before it dries.

https://www.jimenezphoto.com/german-smear-brick/

smear.jpg

heavy mortar.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Looks like a rookie grout job.
The pics were from a quick search, but done properly, it can look pretty good - and it ages well since it is lime/cement mortar and sand. And a lot of work.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The pics were from a quick search, but done properly, it can look pretty good - and it ages well since it is lime/cement mortar and sand. And a lot of work.
It does look like work. Brick is a good material for many reasons. But like replacing a piece of vinyl siding, almost impossible to make repairs.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Having had to repoint an area of a brick house, I can understand the painting of the brick. But even though the repointing was a real pain, I still like unpainted brick better. Never heard of that German smear either but I wouldn't have been able to use it anyway.

Painted brick looks better after a few years when the paint begins to peel. The peeling gives it a nice "aged" look.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Still masking the exterior today. Tomorroww going to run a thin bead of caulk around the windows then be priming Wednesday. The little gray square at bottom right of window is the color. Flat gray.

Landscaper's due back in the morning to back fill and reset rocks.

View attachment 170109 .
just curious....what type of "primer" do you use....a heavy block filler?