• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

workin man

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
just curious....what type of "primer" do you use....a heavy block filler?
First time using this product so far so good. we tried it out first in the garage on the stucco and worked well.

We gave the primer as much time as possible but it's still a couple few shades lighter than the top coat will be. Spraying and back rolling.

However I have a story to tell about the interior paint. Haven't had time or energy to spell it out yet but I will soon.

Finishing the primer coat today and then starting our top coat.

IMG_20200624_162537290.jpg

IMG_20200624_165618496.jpg
IMG_20200624_183948923_HDR.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Painting... annnnd it rained.

Attachments

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
First time using this product so far so good. we tried it out first in the garage on the stucco and worked well.

We gave the primer as much time as possible but it's still a couple few shades lighter than the top coat will be. Spraying and back rolling.

However I have a story to tell about the interior paint. Haven't had time or energy to spell it out yet but I will soon.

Finishing the primer coat today and then starting our top coat.

View attachment 170463

View attachment 170464 View attachment 170465
curious as to what is causing/making the variable color tones in the painted brick.....texture...shadows...still damp in some spots?? ......really like the variable color much more than a flat one color look just curious what is causing it

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yes the brick's are heavily textured. It looks amazing in person....the wall looks like suade in person. We're all very happy with the way it turned out.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Used this roller cover and it held up like an absolute champ. It was perfect for the texture and I highly recommend it for rough surfaces.
IMG_20200626_173836911.jpg

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Misty,
Great choice on the color and job overall... that deep red brick look is dated .... if that place is a flip it'll get a ton of views, that is catnip to twenty to thirty somethings.. wish you were here have a couple of awesome flips we could buy make 50 to 60k each but no contractors available...

Looking good

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is our new favorite libation for taking just about anyting off of anything.

IMG_20200703_112332307.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
We're just days from being listed...white outlets and switches getting changed to grey Monday.

IMG_20200630_131202384.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

Before and after kitchen...

IMG_20200221_104036533.jpg
IMG_1554.jpg

Before and after master bath:
IMG_20200221_140058221.jpg
IMG_20200701_134234201.jpg
IMG_20200701_134303375.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My camera cakes poor pictures in this lighting but you get the concept...

IMG_20200701_134626292.jpg

IMG_20200630_145639203.jpg
IMG_20200701_134121234.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Questions Misty,
Interesting decision to leave the brick partial wall at entry and curved arch wall, what was the thought there?

Do you know the rough numbers on this project, I remember 400k as the target. Since it seems like they enlisted all the trades, in this area it would be close to 150 to 180k to get that much done. So is the flipper right side up on this deal?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Questions Misty,
Interesting decision to leave the brick partial wall at entry and curved arch wall, what was the thought there?

Do you know the rough numbers on this project, I remember 400k as the target. Since it seems like they enlisted all the trades, in this area it would be close to 150 to 180k to get that much done. So is the flipper right side up on this deal?
Your numbers sound pretty accurate. Got the place for only around $100k. We'll see how they do once it's sold! We're just getting warmed up. The primary I has already given more money to get started on the next one.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've heard of "de-plane, de-plane, but THIS is DE-tail, DE-tail...clean crisp, sharp, like the creases in my trousers.
It really helps give it that wow factor that is almost unseen. Sets us apart.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Questions Misty,

I could write a small book about those two decisions and a novel about the rest! Weighing all of our options we went with the path of least resistance, consensus decisions and a bunch of serendipity.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Got the brick work finished on the front door. They did a really good job on both inside and out. Next to put a metal awning over the top of the door with two nice outdoor lights next to the door. Only real hurdle left in the project is the fireproofing from the first floor to the second. We cannot get any straight answers on what to do from anybody, but we are getting there.

IMG_1808 (5).jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got the brick work finished on the front door. They did a really good job on both inside and out. Next to put a metal awning over the top of the door with two nice outdoor lights next to the door. Only real hurdle left in the project is the fireproofing from the first floor to the second. We cannot get any straight answers on what to do from anybody, but we are getting there.

View attachment 172402
Two layers of 5/8 drywall is what I have known in some settings to be commercial code between units and use of that fire blocking spray foam around any openings in the ceiling. That's just my limited understanding as food for thought. Whoever is going to come out and do the inspection should be able to cite the code and know what you need to meet.

Last edited:

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Two layers of 5/8 drywall is what I have known in some settings to be commercial code between units and use of that fire blocking spray foam around any openings in the ceiling. That's just my limited understanding as food for thought. Whoever is going to come out and do the inspection should be able to cite the code and know what you need to meet.
Thanks. Seems simple, but its a shit storm when you have to try to get an answer from the inspector, fire marshal, and the architect. We did have the fire marshal out there to look, but he wouldn't give any definite answers, he would throw it back on the architect. Having him out there may have been the best thing that has happend to us. He was so impressed with what we are doing he put us in contact with his 80 year old friend who is looking to dump two properties. We made an offer today on both of them.

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
that is kind of a bugger for sure,
for walls as new states, a couple of layers of 5/8 works
but every circumstance is different

for instance between units with zero lot line, 2 walls, air gap, 1 layer in between, then 5/8 on each outer

ceilings, many times it will be 2 layers 5/8 but with a 'hat' channel between layers that provides the air gap.

1.jpg

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Your exactly right Scorp. I should have explained further. Ceiling will be mineral wool, hat channel, and 2 layers of 5/8 rock. Where we are coming into problems was fire collars around pipes(wouldn't allow us to use them). We now are putting soffit around every pipe. In some spots dropping the whole ceiling. We also wanted to keep the massive I beams exposed. They finally allowed us to use Fame off intumescent paint, but will have to have the thickness tested by a 3rd party. Mineral wool and soffits are going up this week. Got to get the exact beam dimensions to flame off for the thickness, then will order that. Sounds like allot of money and work, but the I beams will be one of the major focal points on the lower level.

Upstairs is rocked and being taped this week. Then its go time up there. We made an offer on those two properties yesterday and are waiting to hear back. Didn't really want to take on more with what's going on in the world, but this was an opportunity too good to pass up.

Also passed my Journeyman test yesterday. 6 years of night schooling is officially over. Got a bump to Forman pay at work since I was already at journeyman pay.

IMG_1912.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Your exactly right Scorp. I should have explained further. Ceiling will be mineral wool, hat channel, and 2 layers of 5/8 rock. Where we are coming into problems was fire collars around pipes(wouldn't allow us to use them). We now are putting soffit around every pipe. In some spots dropping the whole ceiling. We also wanted to keep the massive I beams exposed. They finally allowed us to use Fame off intumescent paint, but will have to have the thickness tested by a 3rd party. Mineral wool and soffits are going up this week. Got to get the exact beam dimensions to flame off for the thickness, then will order that. Sounds like allot of money and work, but the I beams will be one of the major focal points on the lower level.

Upstairs is rocked and being taped this week. Then its go time up there. We made an offer on those two properties yesterday and are waiting to hear back. Didn't really want to take on more with what's going on in the world, but this was an opportunity too good to pass up.

Also passed my Journeyman test yesterday. 6 years of night schooling is officially over. Got a bump to Forman pay at work since I was already at journeyman pay.

View attachment 173384
Congratulations brother Pit.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Good work, davey, congrats!
BF

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Fire suppression is a big part of building these days. Makes sense but adds substantially to costs.

Congrats on the journeyman's certification, davy. Is there a higher rank?
HVAC is a little goofy. As for rank there isn't anything higher. There is Forman pay which is $3.80 above Journeyman's pay.

We only have one state license which is the High pressure license. Covers Boilers/piping for water over 30 PSI, 15PSI for steam, and ammonia.

Everything else is a city comp card. Which for MN is only Minneapolis and St. Paul. You can then get your master Comp card. Everyone wants to get their master comp card to say they have it. I do not. My belief is you only have your masters if you own a shop. The only difference between my card and a master card is I could then pull a permit for new installation. I will never need to pull a permit. My shop will pull a permit for me anytime I want for cost.

I was talking with a lawyer on the master card license. Lets say I am on a job with 4 journeyman or apprentices. I have my masters and everybody else does not. I am more liable for anything that goes wrong on the jobsite than the others, since I have my maters card. My theory is unless you want to own a shop or the shop is paying you a ton of money to have it, don't get it.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
HVAC is a little goofy. As for rank there isn't anything higher. There is Forman pay which is $3.80 above Journeyman's pay.

We only have one state license which is the High pressure license. Covers Boilers/piping for water over 30 PSI, 15PSI for steam, and ammonia.

Everything else is a city comp card. Which for MN is only Minneapolis and St. Paul. You can then get your master Comp card. Everyone wants to get their master comp card to say they have it. I do not. My belief is you only have your masters if you own a shop. The only difference between my card and a master card is I could then pull a permit for new installation. I will never need to pull a permit. My shop will pull a permit for me anytime I want for cost.

I was talking with a lawyer on the master card license. Lets say I am on a job with 4 journeyman or apprentices. I have my masters and everybody else does not. I am more liable for anything that goes wrong on the jobsite than the others, since I have my maters card. My theory is unless you want to own a shop or the shop is paying you a ton of money to have it, don't get it.
You're good until nobody is hiring and by the looks of things, that won't be happening soon.

Thanks for letting us follow on your journey (no pun intended). 6 years already. I remember when you first started classes.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I honestly couldn't apply caulk this sloppy if I tried. My mind never ceases to be boggled.

IMG_20200722_152400153.jpg

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

KnowWhy

A guy came and wanted his teeth to look better. We fixed him up for smiling in about an hour and a half. It was fun and good sense of accomplishment like I see from so much on this thread.
Unfortunately, sometimes those jobs end up lookong like the caulk.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just an FYI on a tried and true product that can really save you some hassle/energy. It's a Minwax product called wood hardener. Anytime you have soft wood that you don't want to tear out or is just on the verge of starting to rot you brush this stuff on and it hardens the wood. Great product.