• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

workin man

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Service calls are pretty much non existent these days, so they have me running 4 construction jobs right now. Here are some minisplits for a bank install last week. Engineered plan had them all blowing right into each other. Built a rack out of strut, so they would all blow away from each other. On hot days they would have tripped on high head pressure.

Pain in the ass they are.

View attachment 190530
View attachment 190531

Usually when we did our final inspections we would have the appropriate engineer inspect each system, it provided a opportunity to point out field issues and fixes to young engineers so they became better in the future and got them on record as approving the final installation....

Scorpio

VAX denier
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I get that tazz, but a faulty install is a faulty install,

if one is to teach, then one should show them a properly installed system as Davy states, then show them the plan and how they were wrong

then too, many times they spec a piece of equip without looking for direction of fan etc, only outside dims and capacity.

orientation is a big thing, doesn't matter resi or commercial

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Like @Ironpig says, " Nothings easy, nothin'."

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

if one is to teach, then one should show them a properly installed system as Davy states, then show them the plan and how they were wrong

then too, many times they spec a piece of equip without looking for direction of fan etc, only outside dims and capacity.

The "engineer's" heads are likely to swollen at this point to be taught anything anymore.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score

...LOL...i think my post didnt come out right.....we fixed their mistakes during the installs but then made them approve the revised installation.....we always made the engineers inspect and sign off on all trades that were in the engineered drawings...structureal thru electrical.......IE field inspect and approve the
"as-built" drawings that way we were protected if it was a life safety issue. and they got a free lesson...what was really fun was when it cost more to correct their mistakes as that brought on a whole new set of issues because then the expected you to fix their mistakes on your dime because we should have known there "intent"

Scorpio

VAX denier
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
yep, you bring up a great point,

as many companies hope and pray for just this situation,
they install the original, then tell them it won't work,

then comes the change orders

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Today worked at a building that was looted during the riots. The building owner hired an armed guard to stand outside the entire day to keep the workers safe. They have to pay him from 6:00AM to 6:00 PM. Every day I get less and less desire to use my skills to keep this city running.

View attachment 189397
View attachment 189398
I couldn't bring myself to bid on rehab projects that were through HUD grants after realizing that 95% were just putting money into failing neighbourhoods. Sure the house may look better and he safer but the value never increased.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
...LOL...i think my post didnt come out right.....we fixed their mistakes during the installs but then made them approve the revised installation.....we always made the engineers inspect and sign off on all trades that were in the engineered drawings...structureal thru electrical.......IE field inspect and approve the
"as-built" drawings that way we were protected if it was a life safety issue. and they got a free lesson...what was really fun was when it cost more to correct their mistakes as that brought on a whole new set of issues because then the expected you to fix their mistakes on your dime because we should have known there "intent"
That's how I read it ttaz.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
when I first saw this random photo , my first thought was that there are to many stringers for those steps

but hey , I’m a cement finisher , not a carpenter , although I can set step forms and pour and finish them too , along with curb and gutter forms , sidewalk forms , etc....

so I thought I would ask the experts

734A2201-0668-4727-ACFD-0B5FE11ACBAA.jpeg

engineear

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Don't tread on me...not sure you need THAT many next to each other, unless the wideload family lives there...and if that's the case just make a solid pour of concrete.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I would sure be interested in Stoney’s opinion on that deck , I am sure he and his pops have built a few

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
It really depends on what they are topping the deck with...looks a lil close spaced for a good treated southern pine 2x but not for other deck types

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I would sure be interested in Stoney’s opinion on that deck , I am sure he and his pops have built a few
Might be required if there is a code.
I helped a friend build a deck in a local city, code applied, I guess we passed, wasn't there for the inspection.
Out here in the rural Ohio area I reside in, no code, just build it to your own specs, hope it don't cave in on top of anyone.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
when I first saw this random photo , my first thought was that there are to many stringers for those steps

but hey , I’m a cement finisher , not a carpenter , although I can set step forms and pour and finish them too , along with curb and gutter forms , sidewalk forms , etc....

so I thought I would ask the experts

View attachment 191222
Looks well done to me.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
If i have a choice, overbuilt > underbuilt 99.9% of the time.

Yeah, it's overdone. Those stringers could have been spaced a little wider, but whoever did that deck and stairs is a competent craftsmen.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Yeah, it's overdone. Those stringers could have been spaced a little wider, but whoever did that deck and stairs is a competent craftsmen.
When I look at them, only one simple phrase comes to mind; "It ain't goin' nowhere".

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do. As rickety as it looks at first glance, it appears to be stable.

And there's probably a smoke detector up there too- at the high point where code requires them to be. And those batteries are supposed to be changed every year. Homeowners can get really janky when they're trying to get to them.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do. As rickety as it looks at first glance, it appears to be stable.

And there's probably a smoke detector up there too- at the high point where code requires them to be. And those batteries are supposed to be changed every year. Homeowners can get really janky when they're trying to get to them.
This is the part that sketches me out...
Screenshot_20201205-154337~3.png

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
This is the part that sketches me out...
View attachment 191604
Point loads and sway bracing are the most important things in construction. Back in the day, a person could stand on a soda can and it wouldn't collapse until the weight shifted. I can't do that with today's cans and I weigh less than I did 10 years ago.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Point loads and sway bracing are the most important things in construction. Back in the day, a person could stand on a soda can and it wouldn't collapse until the weight shifted. I can't do that with today's cans and I weigh less than I did 10 years ago.
Im still amazed at the strength of an eggshell when squeezed equally in the hand.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do.

One time building an iron structure there was no highlift available for rent anywhere in the area. I had a real clever Mexican welder working with me and he had an idea - weld a gin pole to the bucket of a backhoe, I was up for anything under the circumstances. We had some 12" I beams 40' long that needed to go on columns 20 feet high - it was hairy, but he got it done. The bucket maxed out a little short at the highest point on the taller columns - he again rigged up a com-along and inched it up on top of the columns. I really thought something bad was going to happen with the gin pole up so high with 500lb beams. Sweating bullets.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
One time building an iron structure there was no highlift available for rent anywhere in the area. I had a real clever Mexican welder working with me and he had an idea - weld a gin pole to the bucket of a backhoe, I was up for anything under the circumstances. We had some 12" I beams 40' long that needed to go on columns 20 feet high - it was hairy, but he got it done. The bucket maxed out a little short at the highest point on the taller columns - he again rigged up a com-along and inched it up on top of the columns. I really thought something bad was going to happen with the gin pole up so high with 500lb beams. Sweating bullets.
Messing with steel aint no joke. There was a little learning curve for me when i worked for a meal fabrication outfit. It demands respect! But when you respect it, its at ypur beck and call and wonders can happen.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
While we're on the topic of Steel I've been wanting to start welding on my own and I'm always asking different people for advice because it seems everybody has a different answer or recommendation for how to get started.
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thinking about getting a decent stick welder to start and play with that.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
While we're on the topic of Steel I've been wanting to start welding on my own and I'm always asking different people for advice because it seems everybody has a different answer or recommendation for how to get started.
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thinking about getting a decent stick welder to start and play with that.

Steel fabrication was my first trade and was also a certified welder at that time in my life so its been years but you never forget the trade just get motor skill rusty ....

as far as welding ....a stick welder is a good teacher as it makes you learn to see the puddle and learn stick movements etc.....but a wire welder if set up correctly will make even the rawest rookie a acceptable welder and is very forgiving...

no matter the welding type rookies typically have two major mistakes....

#1 they dont see the weld puddle ....for many reasons...some wont use adequate protective gear and weld at arms length yeah they see a arc but not the puddle...they tend to use too dark a hood....dont use glasses if they need them...dont position themselves to see the details of the puddle....they fear the arc spatter ...etc ....envision the puddle as molten metal with molten flux on top a good welder will see the molten puddle and make it to the shape he wants

#2 the second mistake rookies make is they weld with the welder set way to low on amperage and they do that because they are blowing holes...etc...i allways told my welders they can grind off messy weld tops but they can never go back and get good penetration into the two parts they are welding together.....a good looking weld can be weak and under penetrated vs a ugly weld thats stout as hell.....make welds and then break them and see how your doing as you go

as far as wire welders i recommend starting with a fluxcore wire as it is one less issue (no gas) to learn to deal with

as far as stick welders go a person needs a welder that has both ac and dc and the ability to reverse polarity as far as rod type i would start a person either on 6011 (farmer rods ...welds ugly but penetrates crap on metal well) or 7018 which is a universal structureal all postion rod (the go to rod for building steel welding)

with both stick or wire...its good to start with a book on your welder that recommends settings for materials and rod sizes

thats would be what i would tell anyone starting out in welding .....im sure others can add to this

metal is a wonderful medium to work with

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Uncle's first rule of welding.

Don't weld wearing flip-flops or open shoes as it almost guarantees a broken puddle.

Uncle's second rule of welding.

Never, ever touch earth and the rod at the same time, however brief, as it results in a long stream of major profanities, at the very least, and a burn that really stings.

Golden Regards
Uncle

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score

My advice would be what I did. I was in your same boat. Signed up for a summer night class at the local technical college. Whole class was kids going for there certificate for welding. Told the instructor Im just here for one class. He didn't make me follow that specific class guidelines. Taught me how to use every kind of welder in the shop. It was a blast and I learned more than I could anyplace else.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Steel fabrication was my first trade and was also a certified welder at that time in my life so its been years but you never forget the trade just get motor skill rusty ....

as far as welding ....a stick welder is a good teacher as it makes you learn to see the puddle and learn stick movements etc.....but a wire welder if set up correctly will make even the rawest rookie a acceptable welder and is very forgiving...

no matter the welding type rookies typically have two major mistakes....

#1 they dont see the weld puddle ....for many reasons...some wont use adequate protective gear and weld at arms length yeah they see a arc but not the puddle...they tend to use too dark a hood....dont use glasses if they need them...dont position themselves to see the details of the puddle....they fear the arc spatter ...etc ....envision the puddle as molten metal with molten flux on top a good welder will see the molten puddle and make it to the shape he wants

#2 the second mistake rookies make is they weld with the welder set way to low on amperage and they do that because they are blowing holes...etc...i allways told my welders they can grind off messy weld tops but they can never go back and get good penetration into the two parts they are welding together.....a good looking weld can be weak and under penetrated vs a ugly weld thats stout as hell.....make welds and then break them and see how your doing as you go

as far as wire welders i recommend starting with a fluxcore wire as it is one less issue (no gas) to learn to deal with

as far as stick welders go a person needs a welder that has both ac and dc and the ability to reverse polarity as far as rod type i would start a person either on 6011 (farmer rods ...welds ugly but penetrates crap on metal well) or 7018 which is a universal structureal all postion rod (the go to rod for building steel welding)

with both stick or wire...its good to start with a book on your welder that recommends settings for materials and rod sizes

thats would be what i would tell anyone starting out in welding .....im sure others can add to this

metal is a wonderful medium to work with

I'm a self taught welder (taught by a fool) and only for my own projects, not professionally, and one thing that really helped me was the auto darkening welding helmet. I could stay focused on getting the arc started where I wanted it and concentrating on the puddle. Welding is mesmerizing and amazing.

One of my early jobs as a teenager was working in a factory re-manufacturing aircraft cylinder heads that were cracked. My job was to place the cracked cylinders heads on bank of gas burners and bring them to 800 degrees, then lift them off by hand (40lbs) and place them at the welders tables to be welded (I think it was mig) while hot. These re-manufactured cylinders were as good as new and they all went into military aircraft.