• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

workin man

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This thing has been great

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
If you want to see some really cool skills watch this guy make a router table. I sped it up 2.0x (gear icon lower right).

Make a Router table
So meticulous and clean as a whistle. I favor a more rustic approach to woodworking because I was taught by a fool (myself).

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
This thing has been great

I bought set similar to yours from Costco some years ago, it was 4 metal trays with all kinds of fasteners, nuts and bolts, grease fittings, O-rings, rivets, etc. It has saved me a number of times. The quality of the items in my kit are less than desirable, but in a pinch, picky goes out the window.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
A little before and after

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'll give the original roofers credit for at least using tar paper.
Yeah but the numbskulls used thumbtacks to secure them.

What's missing? Shouldn't I be seeing little metal pokey bits sticking out here?
IMG_20200821_171627575.jpg

Well the good news is that the roof is easy to strip. :)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So this was one of the repairs that had me out on the deck getting pelted with golf balls. I did a bunch of repairs out there I thought this was the most interesting.

This repair actually wasn't even approved by the homeowner I just did it because I couldn't stand it and the listing agent, who has gotten me a lot of other work, including this job, and has to sell this thing for a client who wants top dollar but doesn't want to put more than a few bucks into fixing/sprucing it up.

Anyway when we first walked the property she pointed out the window damage I said I can't repair it we got to replace a window. Come to think of it, jusy like I did with the vent. :)

Anyway I trimmed the hole a bit with my utility knife & flushed it up then filled it with spray foam and came back the next day.

Once the spray foam dry I cut it off with a small saw and fill the voids with exterior putty.

Like an idiot after I left it alone I came back and did something and ended up messing it up and I had a serious deadline no time to waste so did the best I could putting that partially dried first coat back together then the next day sanded primed and painted.

The paint was a whole nother ordeal. everywhere that you would go to match a color was different than the previous one. It was kind of crazy I actually bought a can of spray paint to match the keystones in the front yard and by the time I got to the backyard it was a different color even though they look the same.

Then I ended up choosing a color to match the window width and ended up buying another can for some reason which ended up being the actual can that I needed. Just keep shaking my head. I'm thinking about studying color more in-depth than adding an artistic paint/color matching capability to my repertoire. A friend of mine told me about a guy he knew growing up did just that. You had a set of pigments I guess and could mix any color.

Anyway I couldn't have gotten a better match. It's far from perfect but more than good enough considering the condition of the rest of the windows and the fact that there wasn't even approved by the client. I did it as fast as I could.

Oh and it was another small hole on the left middle window frame and right next to that a hole in the stucco that I patched which is why you see the tape running up the other side of the window in the one picture.

IMG_20200810_173718549.jpg

IMG_20200813_153014150.jpg

IMG_20200817_174924055.jpg

IMG_20200817_180018686.jpg

IMG_20200818_174740768.jpg

IMG_20200818_180810460.jpg

So it looks like the bottom color is the match but it actually was the middle color that matched.
IMG_20200817_172640070.jpg

IMG_20200818_195406216.jpg

IMG_20200818_195849886.jpg

IMG_20200818_195809127.jpg

Last edited:

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Is the damage to the vinyl windows from golf balls? The repair looks good enough to me, 1000% better than it was.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've been to several houses that sit on this course and I always ask people about the house getting hit by golf balls and it never really happens....however, the spot this place sits on is that one of those spots.

This place is absolutely riddled with golf ball damage. And I heard one ball hit the glass while I was working inside and of course I got hit in the leg as soon as I stepped out one day so yeah pretty crazy spot to put your home. Many more reasons than just that in my off the record opinion.

Literally every keystone going up the corner has been struck hard enough to break the stucco and even dent the metal lath.

IMG_20200818_151129785_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20200823-230221.png

engineear

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
So this was one of the repairs that had me out on the deck getting pelted with golf balls. I did a bunch of repairs out there I thought this was the most interesting.

This repair actually wasn't even approved by the homeowner I just did it because I couldn't stand it and the listing agent, who has gotten me a lot of other work, including this job, and has to sell this thing for a client who wants top dollar but doesn't want to put more than a few bucks into fixing/sprucing it up.

Anyway when we first walked the property she pointed out the window damage I said I can't repair it we got to replace a window. Come to think of it, jusy like I did with the vent. :)

Anyway I trimmed the hole a bit with my utility knife & flushed it up then filled it with spray foam and came back the next day.

Once the spray foam dry I cut it off with a small saw and fill the voids with exterior putty.

Like an idiot after I left it alone I came back and did something and ended up messing it up and I had a serious deadline no time to waste so did the best I could putting that partially dried first coat back together then the next day sanded primed and painted.

The paint was a whole nother ordeal. everywhere that you would go to match a color was different than the previous one. It was kind of crazy I actually bought a can of spray paint to match the keystones in the front yard and by the time I got to the backyard it was a different color even though they look the same.

Then I ended up choosing a color to match the window width and ended up buying another can for some reason which ended up being the actual can that I needed. Just keep shaking my head. I'm thinking about studying color more in-depth than adding an artistic paint/color matching capability to my repertoire. A friend of mine told me about a guy he knew growing up did just that. You had a set of pigments I guess and could mix any color.

Anyway I couldn't have gotten a better match. It's far from perfect but more than good enough considering the condition of the rest of the windows and the fact that there wasn't even approved by the client. I did it as fast as I could.

Oh and it was another small hole on the left middle window frame and right next to that a hole in the stucco that I patched which is why you see the tape running up the other side of the window in the one picture.

View attachment 177932

View attachment 177947

View attachment 177935

View attachment 177933

View attachment 177938

View attachment 177931

So it looks like the bottom color is the match but it actually was the middle color that matched.
View attachment 177934

View attachment 177940

View attachment 177936

View attachment 177939
Smooth!!

They need some netting.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Good ideas. You could even be for hire to move the opponents balls for the shady bettin' types.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Good ideas. You could even be for hire to move the opponents balls for the shady bettin' types.
All duffers cheat, good golfers cheat less, usually. Alone in the rough - improve the lie, lol.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Smooth!!

They need some netting.
That is exactly what I was thinking.

The number of golf balls that actually break concrete almost certainly have to be in the minority; that means fifty jillion golf balls a month hit the fargin house and/or whoever is brave enough to walk onto the patio.

NETTING. It is commonly used in sit-choo-ations like this.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I forget what it's called when it goes to the left hook or slice but yeah that's what's happening here. We need to send someone out there to help adjust their swings.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I forget what it's called when it goes to the left hook or slice but yeah that's what's happening here. We need to send someone out there to help adjust their swings.
For right hand golfers, hook is to the left and slice is to the right. Most duffers slice.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
A little caulk and paint make a carpenter what he ain't

IMG_20200824_130827616.jpg

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Nice to know they pay extra to be on the course.......

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
A little caulk and paint make a carpenter what he ain't

View attachment 177991
Lots of solid wood just outside of where the roof leak rot is - scarf the hip rafter and replace any of the jack rafters that rotted ( most look solid) and stagger the decking back one rafter, easy peasy :)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Lots of solid wood just outside of where the roof leak rot is - scarf the hip rafter and replace any of the jack rafters that rotted ( most look solid) and stagger the decking back one rafter, easy peasy :)
We're on the same page brother. I appreciate the input.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
These mfrs put 60 layers of tar paper on this thing. Unbelievable trying to get under it and lifted. Many of the layers are nailed down with roofing nails. Breaking my back so I'm taking a hydration break. Hot today.

IMG_20200824_164243538_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200824_164949641.jpg

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
These mfrs put 60 layers of tar paper on this thing. Unbelievable trying to get under it and lifted. Many of the layers are nailed down with roofing nails. Breaking my back so I'm taking a hydration break. Hot today.

View attachment 178016 View attachment 178017
It's been record setting heat in the Southwest for almost the last month - I can only take so much of this 100 plus weather. I've been limiting my outside work (and why I've been running my mouth more than usual :), waiting for a break in the weather pattern. Got stuff I want to get done, but it'll wait.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
It's been record setting heat in the Southwest for almost the last month - I can only take so much of this 100 plus weather. I've been limiting my outside work (and why I've been running my mouth more than usual :), waiting for a break in the weather pattern. Got stuff I want to get done, but it'll wait.
Balance or burnout

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
This probly don't go here. We're working on the place, but it's liveable for sure. My youngest 22yo boy bought house barn 10 acres with a pond.
This is where it goes!

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Sold his Harley for 12k put 12k down on this place. Helluva deal. Acre pond looking for pigs. Girlfriend gave them dozen hens
Good swap! Oh, to be 22 and starting with a house, barn, pond, and 10 acres, very cool.

historyrepete

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Good swap! Oh, to be 22 and starting with a house, barn, pond, and 10 acres, very cool.
Thank you silver It is. He's a dumbass like his old man. He drives paid for truck. Works all day every day. Cooks all his own food. Like me drinks plenty don't do no dope. I love my kids. My oldest boy wrecked a side x side last night. Fucked himself up. Hell be alright. My oldest childs is my daughter. I had her when I was coolest dumbest clown in town. But God said, 'hey I got a gift for you young man' and I was bestowed this beautiful baby. Changed my life for good. The greatest gift I've ever received other than the gift of live itself, is my children.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
But God said, 'hey I got a gift for you young man' and I was bestowed this beautiful baby. Changed my life for good. The greatest gift I've ever received other than the gift of live itself, is my children.
I'd probably be rich and living the wild life if I didn't get the gifts of kids. No regrets.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Thank you silver It is. He's a dumbass like his old man. He drives paid for truck. Works all day every day. Cooks all his own food. Like me drinks plenty don't do no dope. I love my kids. My oldest boy wrecked a side x side last night. Fucked himself up. Hell be alright. My oldest childs is my daughter. I had her when I was coolest dumbest clown in town. But God said, 'hey I got a gift for you young man' and I was bestowed this beautiful baby. Changed my life for good. The greatest gift I've ever received other than the gift of live itself, is my children.
That's awesome repete. I think having kids does that to a lot of us, changed me too. I just wish I'd had about 5 boys ( boy, 2 girls), my son was my right hand man from about 12 until 18, then he went off to a military academy - then I got to see him for 1 week a year and a few days during holidays, besides going there for events. Was really hard on me for awhile. I didn't really want him to go that direction, but he was recruited and he thought it was a good opportunity - maybe it was for him, but not for me, lol. With just one boy, I had nobody to get on the other end of something heavy :) I missed him a lot and then his obligations and opportunities took him on his journey. Married with 3 kids himself now and 1200 miles away. Such is life.

But what an opportunity for your 22 year old - to be able to build his 'field of dreams' on the land, and what looks like a dang nice plot. And to maybe have dad around for a little help and encouragement.

Hope your other son heals quick and keeps 4 wheels on road from here on out.

Tell him to plant some trees! “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So what am I supposed to do for a cap on the top of a pointed pyramid on an asphalt shingle roof?

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Last edited: