• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

workin man

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
For those looking at flooring options I would think about one piece of sheet vinyl. I will never go back to laminate planks again. With one piece you don’t have the clicking or bumps that laminate always seems to get over time. This is a little harder to work with since it’s so large and very heavy also when you make a wrong cut it’s a pretty big deal. I would also not install without quarter round since it’s very hard to get perfect on the edges ( for me that is).
The above sheet is not glued down. It just lays. there. It’s so heavy it feels good on the feet and doesn’t bubble up.
Don’t know about wear since I have only had it in another place for a year. That is TBD.
Don’t know how the pros install but I took rosin paper and made a template of the floor then added an extra inch to all the sides and laid it down and trimmed in place.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
For those looking at flooring options I would think about one piece of sheet vinyl. I will never go back to laminate planks again. With one piece you don’t have the clicking or bumps that laminate always seems to get over time. This is a little harder to work with since it’s so large and very heavy also when you make a wrong cut it’s a pretty big deal. I would also not install without quarter round since it’s very hard to get perfect on the edges ( for me that is).
The above sheet is not glued down. It just lays. there. It’s so heavy it feels good on the feet and doesn’t bubble up.
Don’t know about wear since I have only had it in another place for a year. That is TBD.
Don’t know how the pros install but I took rosin paper and made a template of the floor then added an extra inch to all the sides and laid it down and trimmed in place.
Certainly appreciate the versatility of plank floor. Found a vinyl plank or tile flooring to be soft and durable in a rental unit that was installed 7 years ago. I will only install a sheet vinyl if there are no seams. Haven't had the pleasure of working one. Like you, I use a rosen paper template where the paper is shy of the perimeter. I will butt a framing square against the edges and use a marker to scribe onto the paper. Takes a lot of room but I'm no pro.

I have used a perimeter spread with the adhesive. 6" v notch.

engineear

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
No more vinyl for me. I put down engineered wood in living room, floating on a plastic sheet on concrete slab. Won't stain, cut, rip , move AND can be taken up and replaced by next owner...no nails, no glue. Flawless.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
No more vinyl for me. I put down engineered wood in living room, floating on a plastic sheet on concrete slab. Won't stain, cut, rip , move AND can be taken up and replaced by next owner...no nails, no glue. Flawless.
I put some floating engineered planks in a commercial build and was amazed at the durability and the texture/look is as good as you could ask 4. Pretty sure it was vinyl faced.

They put a vinyl plank floor in that brick house we renovated with the steep driveway/waterfall. Looked and acts the same as the other.

The oak floors im typing to you on are over 55 years old, take an amazing amount of punishment, look great for the age and added a surprising amount of value to my home insurance replacement cost.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
This is commonly referred to as an abortion in the trades.

20210707_150904.jpg

20210707_134813.jpg
20210707_150858~2.jpg
20210707_150050.jpg

20210707_151716~2.jpg

Last edited:

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Yuck. I am not a builder, but I know what I don't like when I see it. I guess the installer was inspired by pinball machines? "Don't worry, the water will find its way to the ground, one way or another."

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Yuck. I am not a builder, but I know what I don't like when I see it. I guess the installer was inspired by pinball machines? "Don't worry, the water will find its way to the ground, one way or another."
:belly laugh::oriental::don't know:

:surrender::surrender:

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Certainly not the highest quality structure ive come across

20210708_160420~2.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
That should work out well for you. Get the walls done before the carpet is installed.
What does ya have for base molding?
Just the basic. I took the shoe off for the carpet. I’ll use a enamel paint on the base and trim.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Long long weekend. Got the wallapaper off and the walls somewhat patched (good enough for me, but not close to perfect), trim caulked and everything panted. Carpet went in today. Start moving next weekend.

Eventually it will be new light fitures, work on the fireplace, and bathroom then this level is finished.

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Long long weekend. Got the wallapaper off and the walls somewhat patched (good enough for me, but not close to perfect), trim caulked and everything panted. Carpet went in today. Start moving next weekend.

Eventually it will be new light fitures, work on the fireplace, and bathroom then this level is finished.

View attachment 218529
View attachment 218530
Ta-da.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
JLC Online

Ladder-Jack Work Platform Collapse Hurts Seven in New Jersey​

Seven workers plunged 35 feet as a plank supported by ladder jacks came loose. Two sustained critical injuries, according to press reports.​

By Ted Cushman
Seven roofers were injured on December 10 in Hackensack, New Jersey, when an aluminum plank supported by ladder jacks slipped off its bracket. The 35-foot fall injured two of the workers critically, according to reports in the local press (see: "2 workers remain critical after N.J. scaffolding collapse," by Noah Cohen/NJ Advance Media; "7 hurt, 2 critically in Hackensack apartment complex scaffold collapse," by CeFaan Kim, Eyewitness News WABC-7; "3 construction workers remain hospitalized after scaffold collapse," by Stefanie Dazo/North Jersey Record).

Photos provided by a local fire department and photos by local press indicate that the workers were standing on an aluminum plank about 30 feet long, supported by brackets at the top of ladders some 35 feet off the ground. The ladders' feet rested on a sloping paved surface by the side of the structure, and the workers were standing at the edge of a mansard roof slope that made up the building's third story. A coworker at the scene was too distraught to provide any details about the accident, WABC reported. The accident is under investigation by federal OSHA and by the Bergen County, New Jersey, Sheriff's Department.

Ted Cushman is a contributing editor at JLC.

About the Author​

Ted Cushman Ted Cushman
Contributing editor Ted Cushman reports on the construction industry from Hartland, Vt.

scaffold-collapse-hero.jpg

historyrepete

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Simple job, tear off old decking and replace with composite. Also add a wall for fireplace and tv.
This was for our granddaughter baby shower. I'm surely over 13k and closer to 15. There's couple more things to button down but here's what we got

Attachments

• Resized_20210418_144354.jpeg
    Resized_20210418_144354.jpeg
    648.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Resized_20210722_204501.jpeg
    Resized_20210722_204501.jpeg
    542 KB · Views: 11
  • Resized_20210718_190149.jpeg
    Resized_20210718_190149.jpeg
    668.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Resized_20210612_200816.jpeg
    Resized_20210612_200816.jpeg
    681.2 KB · Views: 11

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
JLC Online

Ladder-Jack Work Platform Collapse Hurts Seven in New Jersey​

Seven workers plunged 35 feet as a plank supported by ladder jacks came loose. Two sustained critical injuries, according to press reports.​

By Ted Cushman
Seven roofers were injured on December 10 in Hackensack, New Jersey, when an aluminum plank supported by ladder jacks slipped off its bracket. The 35-foot fall injured two of the workers critically, according to reports in the local press (see: "2 workers remain critical after N.J. scaffolding collapse," by Noah Cohen/NJ Advance Media; "7 hurt, 2 critically in Hackensack apartment complex scaffold collapse," by CeFaan Kim, Eyewitness News WABC-7; "3 construction workers remain hospitalized after scaffold collapse," by Stefanie Dazo/North Jersey Record).

Photos provided by a local fire department and photos by local press indicate that the workers were standing on an aluminum plank about 30 feet long, supported by brackets at the top of ladders some 35 feet off the ground. The ladders' feet rested on a sloping paved surface by the side of the structure, and the workers were standing at the edge of a mansard roof slope that made up the building's third story. A coworker at the scene was too distraught to provide any details about the accident, WABC reported. The accident is under investigation by federal OSHA and by the Bergen County, New Jersey, Sheriff's Department.

Ted Cushman is a contributing editor at JLC.

About the Author​

Ted Cushman Ted Cushman
Contributing editor Ted Cushman reports on the construction industry from Hartland, Vt.

scaffold-collapse-hero.jpg
Dayum, that looked like a pretty good set up.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Tip for removing stripped screws I've never seen b4

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Simple job, tear off old decking and replace with composite. Also add a wall for fireplace and tv.
This was for our granddaughter baby shower. I'm surely over 13k and closer to 15. There's couple more things to button down but here's what we got
Did you attempt to post pics?

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Heres a 5 minute $5 fix I did yesterday after noticing erosion below my clients concrete AC pad.
20210720_190355.jpg
20210722_165302.jpg
20210722_171427.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

historyrepete

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
We're interested to see

I figured something out. The deck was about 20 years old. We wanted new flooring and a wall. Ended up doing little more. Funny putting up 50"tv without cable. Samsung TV connect seamlessly through Samsung phones, videos, YouTube and music.

Attachments

• Resized_20210530_164430.jpeg
    Resized_20210530_164430.jpeg
    906.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Resized_20210605_191228.jpeg
    Resized_20210605_191228.jpeg
    666.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Resized_20210426_191049.jpeg
    Resized_20210426_191049.jpeg
    918.5 KB · Views: 19

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I figured something out. The deck was about 20 years old. We wanted new flooring and a wall. Ended up doing little more. Funny putting up 50"tv without cable. Samsung TV connect seamlessly through Samsung phones, videos, YouTube and music.
What a beautiful estate!
Excellent work Pete and good taste in design.

Last edited:

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210724-090223~2.png

Nice cock

Scorpio

VAX denier
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
ooooops..................

:rotf:

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Wait, there's a chicken in the picture???

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
End of joke:

Q: "What does it matter if it is a hen or a rooster?"
A: "Dude, you are one sick feller!"

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The deck got a awesome transformation. Clever uses of different materials. Hope you had fun with it.

Is the television waterproof?

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The deck got a awesome transformation. Clever uses of different materials. Hope you had fun with it.

Is the television waterproof?
Looks pro quality from here eh'?

Brio

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So my sister runs a bottle depot sort of, collecting empties to turn in for deposit $ to support Northern animal rescue. She saves me all the wine corks. Today I cobbled together a cork board, made the frame from a scrounged cedar board. it's kinda pretty.

screenshot.png

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
So my sister runs a bottle depot sort of, collecting empties to turn in for deposit $ to support Northern animal rescue. She saves me all the wine corks. Today I cobbled together a cork board, made the frame from a scrounged cedar board. it's kinda pretty.

View attachment 219046
Nice job. I've seen similar before and really like the look. What did u use to adhere? Hot glue?

Brio

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice job. I've seen similar before and really like the look. What did u use to adhere? Hot glue?
Thanks! Maybe I should have, but just used wood glue.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score