• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

workin man

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
GIM Voting.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Been working outside painting a house. Farking brutal!
After moving and setting a 40' ladder for a few minutes it's like having run 5 miles in the Sahara! Mentally tough on top of the physical for this North Easterner.

Screenshot_20210728-131208~2.png

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
This months HVAC parts load. Got everything listed from last load, so this is perfect timing. This is the good stuff mostly controls and everything new in box.

Everything here was headed for the trash compactor if I would not have bought them, so much for companies going green.

View recent photos (1).jpg

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Been working outside painting a house. Farking brutal!
After moving and setting a 40' ladder for a few minutes it's like having run 5 miles in the Sahara! Mentally tough on top of the physical for this North Easterner.

View attachment 219376
That's what swimming holes were invented for.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Been framing, wiring, and plumbing the basement. Passed all the regionals.

Hiring out drywall next week.

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 10.00.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 10.00.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 10.00.31 AM.png

engineear

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Ha ha... tell that to the wife....

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Hiring out drywall next week….

Best money you will ever spend. Amazing how cheap and fast those guys can go.
I respect hangers and finishers immensely, hard grunt work to start and artistry with the mud at the end but nothing like a true level 5 finish... even with the incredible number of times they have covered up one of my electrical boxes, I would never ever, ever never consider doing it myself

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
This months HVAC parts load. Got everything listed from last load, so this is perfect timing. This is the good stuff mostly controls and everything new in box.

Everything here was headed for the trash compactor if I would not have bought them, so much for companies going green.

View attachment 219698

You should look into Amazaon FBA. You can send stuff into sit in Amazon's warehouse until it sells. Instead of shipping it out piecemeal you ship it to Amazon and they take care of fulfillment if and when it sells. The disadvantage is it costs $40 a month but your commission expense is about a dollar cheaper per month. You also have to pay a little for storage. The advantage is you free up you house or storage area and often you can get a higher price because by sending it to Amazon its eligible for free Prime 2-day delivery.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
You should look into Amazaon FBA. You can send stuff into sit in Amazon's warehouse until it sells. Instead of shipping it out piecemeal you ship it to Amazon and they take care of fulfillment if and when it sells. The disadvantage is it costs $40 a month but your commission expense is about a dollar cheaper per month. You also have to pay a little for storage. The advantage is you free up you house or storage area and often you can get a higher price because by sending it to Amazon its eligible for free Prime 2-day delivery.
Thanks. That is on the list to look into. Problem with my stuff is many parts can take 3-5 years or more to sell. Allot of this stuff is obsolete parts so there isn't too much around, but when they need it they will pay good money to get it. I've actually started to build a pretty large network outside of any online places. I usually send a note when I ship something out. For instance I found a guy who buys just about all my fire alarm items. I shoot him a list, he picks what he wants, I ship it to him, about a week later a check shows up.

One of the main reasons we just sold our house was there was no large shop or room for a large shop. Our next house will have a very large out building that I can turn into my warehouse. The only reason all of this works is because I have next to no overhead.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
uh... for some reason (wonder why?), I haven't watched this thread in months...

Can't seem to find anything "funny" these days...

Maybe cynical, maybe satirical, maybe sardonic, but NOT outright FUNNY....

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
uh... for some reason (wonder why?), I haven't watched this thread in months...

Can't seem to find anything "funny" these days...

Maybe cynical, maybe satirical, maybe sardonic, but NOT outright FUNNY....

"An enlightned being takes hardship as joy."
-----------------------

Realms

A wicked person is born of jealousy.

Out of selfishness and anger he complains about unfairness towards himself.

A benevolent person always has a heart of compassion.

With no discontentment or hatred, he takes hardship as joy.

An enlightened person has no attachments at all.

He quietly observes the people of the world deluded by illusions.

Li Hongzhi

September 25, 1995

engineear

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
"An enlightned being takes hardship as joy."
-----------------------

Realms

A wicked person is born of jealousy.

Out of selfishness and anger he complains about unfairness towards himself.

A benevolent person always has a heart of compassion.

With no discontentment or hatred, he takes hardship as joy.

An enlightened person has no attachments at all.

He quietly observes the people of the world deluded by illusions.

Li Hongzhi

September 25, 1995
Heavy, dude.

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Laundry sink drain flange breaks.

Catastrophic leakage.

Home Depot $20.

30 minutes labor.

Fixed on a typical Saturday morning.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
chinks make drywall too?

Yeah... that made the "news" in Florida a decade or so ago...
Just plain DANGEROUS for anybody's HEALTH - especially when it gets "wet"...

Florida building codes haven't always been "up to par"... like my brother's house where all the wiring was ALUMINUM, not copper... Talk about "short-circuits" in switches & outlets... not to mention the "panel" where I bet that there was "over-use of metering" because of "faulty connections"... (aluminum "shrinks" to "adjust" to the "screw pressure" in the "connections", then creates "gaps" for "arcing", which uses substantially more "energy" for the "circuit to pass" before "shorting out" and "tripping the breaker"... at least imho....)

So if you have aluminum wiring, every year, turn off the main breaker, and tighten EVERY screw in your breaker panel and all your outlets & switches & connection boxes... or go the "costly route", and pull all the aluminum wires out and replace them with copper wires...

PS - I'm not an electrician... but did do some wiring as an "electrician's helper", and wired a bunch of my own places... I even have some functioning "knob & tube" from the late 1800s' or early 1900's FUNCTIONING in a few of my rentals... Passed "inspection"... Problem with that is mice eating the cloth coating on the wires... then building nests that end up touching both wires, about 3-6" apart... (but the apts have hard-wired smoke alarms...)

Last edited:

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Yeah... that made the "news" in Florida a decade or so ago...
Just plain DANGEROUS for anybody's HEALTH - especially when it gets "wet"...

Florida building codes haven't always been "up to par"... like my brother's house where all the wiring was ALUMINUM, not copper... Talk about "short-circuits" in switches & outlets... not to mention the "panel" where I bet that there was "over-use of metering" because of "faulty connections"... (aluminum "shrinks" to "adjust" to the "screw pressure" in the "connections", then creates "gaps" for "arcing", which uses substantially more "energy" for the "circuit to pass" before "shorting out" and "tripping the breaker"... at least imho....)

So if you have aluminum wiring, every year, turn off the main breaker, and tighten EVERY screw in your breaker panel and all your outlets & switches & connection boxes... or go the "costly route", and pull all the aluminum wires out and replace them with copper wires...

PS - I'm not an electrician... but did do some wiring as an "electrician's helper", and wired a bunch of my own places... I even have some functioning "knob & tube" from the late 1800s' or early 1900's FUNCTIONING in a few of my rentals... Passed "inspection"... Problem with that is mice eating the cloth coating on the wires... (but the apts have hard-wired smoke alarms...)
It's been my understanding the newer aluminum alloys have fixed the shrinkage and oxidation issues experienced by early aluminum wire....and now it's important to correctly torque the connections during the initial install....but I haven't confirmed this since I still use all copper

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
It's been my understanding the newer aluminum alloys have fixed the shrinkage and oxidation issues experienced by early aluminum wire....and now it's important to correctly torque the connections during the initial install....but I haven't confirmed this since I still use all copper
My brother's wiring was from the 1970s

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I would never ever, ever never consider doing it myself
I've done it before. They don't call it 'shit' rock for nothing....

My main concern is hurting myself. Sure, I could do the work but...100 4x8 sheets my ass would be dragging for a week after.

Squaring the area around the tub for tile is the other concern.

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't used aluminium in years with the exception of service entrance... Not sure do they still use noalox to prevent corrosion? In any event my feeling is its copper or nothing, seeing so many burnt connections in tinder box mobiles forever turned me against aluminium... life is too short and copper works too well

Hasn't the plumbing industry using pex not freed up enough copper for all the wiring to be copper?

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Survivor
Reaction score
Haven't used aluminium in years with the exception of service entrance... Not sure do they still use noalox to prevent corrosion? In any event my feeling is its copper or nothing, seeing so many burnt connections in tinder box mobiles forever turned me against aluminium... life is too short and copper works too well

Hasn't the plumbing industry using pex not freed up enough copper for all the wiring to be copper?

Some Guys still use noalox but with the new alloys it's not required or recommended anymore.....some guys and inspectors can't give it up though...it still has value in high corrosive environments for the lugs and box connections....its not detrimental ....but from what I understand the AL wire industry is getting much better via alloys

Last edited:

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Thanks. That is on the list to look into. Problem with my stuff is many parts can take 3-5 years or more to sell. Allot of this stuff is obsolete parts so there isn't too much around, but when they need it they will pay good money to get it. I've actually started to build a pretty large network outside of any online places. I usually send a note when I ship something out. For instance I found a guy who buys just about all my fire alarm items. I shoot him a list, he picks what he wants, I ship it to him, about a week later a check shows up.

One of the main reasons we just sold our house was there was no large shop or room for a large shop. Our next house will have a very large out building that I can turn into my warehouse. The only reason all of this works is because I have next to no overhead.

I used to do Amazon FBA and it was perfect for stuff like that. You got the best exposure because it was Amazon and the best price because it was Prime. I was doing books, and I quit when they raised their storage fees. You'll have to check what they are charging for storage but about 5 years ago your objections were actually the main benefits of Amazon. Good luck.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I used to do Amazon FBA and it was perfect for stuff like that. You got the best exposure because it was Amazon and the best price because it was Prime. I was doing books, and I quit when they raised their storage fees. You'll have to check what they are charging for storage but about 5 years ago your objections were actually the main benefits of Amazon. Good luck.
I’ll check it out. I always just assumed storage fees would kill me.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I’ll check it out. I always just assumed storage fees would kill me.

If you sell on amazon, they take about 15% plus around a dollar a transaction.

You can upgrade to a pro account for $39.99 a month; you still pay 15% but not the dollar, so the break even is 40 sales.

But the pro account lets you ship into Amazon (with discounted shipping rates). When your stuff is in the Amazon warehouse, it qualifies for free 2-day shipping via Prime. That gets you higher prices and you might recoup your expenses on a single sale.

It also gets a wider audience for obscure stuff and will likely move it faster than you are moving it now.

But there is a steep learning curve to working with Amazon.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
If you sell on amazon, they take about 15% plus around a dollar a transaction.

You can upgrade to a pro account for $39.99 a month; you still pay 15% but not the dollar, so the break even is 40 sales.

But the pro account lets you ship into Amazon (with discounted shipping rates). When your stuff is in the Amazon warehouse, it qualifies for free 2-day shipping via Prime. That gets you higher prices and you might recoup your expenses on a single sale.

It also gets a wider audience for obscure stuff and will likely move it faster than you are moving it now.

But there is a steep learning curve to working with Amazon.
Ill have to make that a top priority. I would love to move stuff faster. Thanks for lighting the fire. Have another huge load of HVAC parts coming in two months and haven't gotten a single one from the last load listed.

The real lucrative place Im looking is there is a network that HVAC wholesale houses pull from each other for obscure parts. This is what I would really be interested in.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
It just never ends
20210820_173314~2.jpg

20210820_173209~2.jpg
20210820_173509~2.jpg
20210820_173419~2.jpg

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
The tears start flowing! : (
... and you see the cheapest quality coverings & underlayments etc...

Once you fix that section "up to quality par", the rest of the place looks like shit...

Have to look at house repairs "in the whole", not "by sections"... Sometimes a little "lipstick on a pig" is better than "doing a good job"... financially...

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
S
... and you see the cheapest quality coverings & underlayments etc...

Once you fix that section "up to quality par", the rest of the place looks like shit...

Have to look at house repairs "in the whole", not "by sections"... Sometimes a little "lipstick on a pig" is better than "doing a good job"... financially...
She's already past her budget too. Asked me to just get her one more year out of it.

We've already had work orders increase the original contract by about 40% so far.

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just a couple feet away at the cricket
20210820_172939~3.jpg

20210820_172954~2.jpg

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++