• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

You might want to scale back online orders now that LA has become a third world country!

the_shootist

Politically Gender Neutral
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Local Africans in liberal utopia have found themselves a new hobby....looting freight trains. Lawlessness is the new way of life in third world Commiefornia.

1642171662782.png
1642171676234.png
1642171690946.png

Farking train robbing animals! Southern California needs to be nuked!
1642172004443.png

Last edited:

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
I bought enough car parts to finish my mad max car complete with supetcharger, twin 50 gallon tanks, smoke screen, oil dump, place for the dog

Don't mess up my mail order!

Au-myn

Goldbug
Founding Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
This has been happening in chicongo railyards for years. The truck drivers taking the containers out of the yards don't stop at stop lights outside the yards.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
New Railroad Management techniques.

Scale back, or fire, the railroad cops. Don't spend a penny on securing the property.

Leave trains standing "staged" for hours...often days. Just leave it there. If the lock on the locomotive door works (or if there is one) lock things up; but otherwise, just leave it. After all, nobody knows how to start and run a locomotive but us, right?

And...the cargo can take care of itself. We're paid to move that container. What happens to it is between the shipper and insurance company.

the_shootist

Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Screw you, shootie. Every city has shit going down. Your state has it's own issues...
Comparing the social behavior and moral structure between CA and NH is pretty much laughable, but I understand your frustration. Nothing personal sir, just my opinion of the facts as I see them

This has been happening in chicongo railyards for years. The truck drivers taking the containers out of the yards don't stop at stop lights outside the yards.

Now THIS is a much more realistic comparison!^^^^

Last edited:

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
When I worked for CSX (after they took over my half of Conrail) I had the opportunity to work, Willard, Ohio, to Chicago.

The pay was great (we were paid by the run, not by the hour) but the horror stories of our guys who did that and saw how it was...those were discouraging. Chicago was one big cluster-fark for the railroad...Conrail, with its transcontinental trains, preferred taking things to St. Louis for transfer to the Southern Pacific railway. CSX had the old B&O track into Chicago.

You get down there, okay; and get in queue. You're held - for the rest of your hours (FRA Hours-Of-Service is twelve hours on-duty) and THEN...left there LONGER, no overtime pay. The standard excuse was "no crew shuttle available." What it was, was, they were using these "outlawed" (run out of legal hours) crews as unpaid security guards.

Unpaid. No overtime on those jobs. Frankly, demanding it would be silly, since even back 15 years ago, it was a $120k/year job; but when you see your time, your LIFE, stolen from you by such piss-poor management...you chafe. Eventually you do what I did, you find other work.

But I guess UP is so short of personnel, now, they don't even use train crews as train-babysitters.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Leave trains standing "staged" for hours...often days. Just leave it there. If the lock on the locomotive door works (or if there is one) lock things up; but otherwise, just leave it.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I hate to see stuff like that put up on places like Ewe Toob.

That is commonplace; and there is a reason for it. A locomotive engine is larger than many trucks; and it takes a LONG time for it to warm up to operating temperature. Over 45 minutes.

Coolant in those things, is just water. Why? Because most of the nasty byproducts in diesel engines' engine oil, comes from running ethylene glycol antifreeze in the coolant system. Try as they might, it's impossible to completely seal a cooling system. A locomotive has over 100 gallons of engine oil; and with just-water as coolant, water that leaks into oil galleys just steams out. No sludge - since the oil never cools, because the engine is seldom shut down for long periods.

With the old EMDs, the oil was only changed at major service - when something breaks. It would be sent off for lab analysis, periodically...and yes, if there was metal or babbit corruption in the oil, the unit would be sent off for repairs. But the oil, just was. About ten gallons in the engine block, and an external oil tank...dry sump engines.

Okay. Then there's the possibility that the locomotive might not restart, for battery or other issues. Takes a LOT of juice to crank an engine that big; and battery failures or starting failures are very common.

Then...if the power is tied to a string of cars (it wasn't, here) the air will be cut in, and the cars kept charged up. No, that doesn't release the brakes. How train air brakes work, would be a four-week class. But a string of cars with no air, only hold their brakes for air trapped in the emergency-brake system. They WILL leak down with time, and then, the only brake is the handbrake.

Charged cars, don't have that problem. Also, if a string of cars is off air for more than four hours, a complete train-brake inspection (walk-around, check application and release) has to be done. That's half an hour at the quickest.

More troubling was the bell left on, and the door open. Either the cameraman wasn't the first trespasser, or the crew was really sloppy; probably tired.

I'd have wanted to see if handbrakes were applied on the locomotives.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
And...the cargo can take care of itself. We're paid to move that container. What happens to it is between the shipper and insurance company.
The age-old excuse "Eees No my Yob..."

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
That is commonplace;
How many gallons of diesel does an engine carry? How many mpg does it get?

You know so much about trains you should start a train thread! :beer:

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
and the rat colonies must be large...how is that not considered to be blight? a danger to the neighborhood?

there's an angle here, find out what company insures any of that mess and invest with them, they seem to be able to collect the premiums but probably rarely pay them out

the_shootist

Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
It seems that we're in a zombie apocalypse where all the zombies are Africans

I can only judge on what I see and I don't see white people, Latinos, Asians or Italians burning down towns, looting stores buy the dozens in broad daylight and ripping off trains. I just see thousands of urban, African American drones doing what they do....apparently!

See South Africa for more information!

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
It seems that we're in a zombie apocalypse where all the zombies are Africans

I can only judge on what I see and I don't see white people, Latinos, Asians or Italians burning down towns, looting stores buy the dozens in broad daylight and ripping off trains. I just see thousands of urban, African American drones doing what they do....apparently!

See South Africa for more information!
i'm coming to a conclusion that white people basically are pussies

many would be happy on their knees because life is easier that way, perhaps a master will come along and let them stand for a moment or two, perhaps even be security over all the other oppressed people

these things are indisputable for many

i'm just saying, white people have been able to become pussies and are rarely called out

and no, i'm just thinking of the groups who give us reason to think this way...it's not a blanket statement

i don't work that way

the_shootist

Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
i'm coming to a conclusion that white people basically are pussies

many would be happy on their knees because life is easier that way, perhaps a master will come along and let them stand for a moment or two, perhaps even be security over all the other oppressed people

these things are indisputable for many

i'm just saying, white people have been able to become pussies and are rarely called out

and no, i'm just thinking of the groups who give us reason to think this way...it's not a blanket statement

i don't work that way
We're not pussies, we're just too patient for our own good, which causes us to wait a bit longer to push back than we should. Make no mistake, nothing lasts forever... especially our patience!

1642181615911.png
1642181713739.png

Last edited:

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
"we're not pussies"

you're already going the wrong way...

myself, i'm a cracker but i'm not a part of 'them'

i won't do shit for them, for anyone 'just because they're white" nor will i ignore anyone 'just because they're not'

don't participate in any of this, i'll never be what i'm described, by them, to be

and besides, we can tear up the entire human population and find out, at the end of the day, we've got much of it wrong simply by having a negative pov

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
How many gallons of diesel does an engine carry? How many mpg does it get?

You know so much about trains you should start a train thread! :beer:
Fuel on old EMD SD-40s, was either 3500 or 4000 gallons. Depending on when it was built and how it was set up.

On those new GEs...I think that one was what's called a Dash-9 (not its official model name) it's 6000 gallons.

Miles per gallon? I've never figured it out. Fuel stops, when Conrail was Conrail, were regular. Boston or Jersey, at the start. Then Selkirk (outside Albany). Then Cleveland and then Avon, Indiana. Maybe they fueled at St. Louis or Chicago (Conrail did run into Chi-town) or maybe not. I never worked there.

On CSX, they found they could "save money" by not pumping fuel unless needed. False economy, as they were running power out of fuel regularly. But sure...3000 gallons not pumped today, is $8000 not spent today. When you're a manager, you're stupid (a job requirement for CSX managers) and you're running from crisis to crisis, every second counts. It's a plate-spinning act...

Trains would get their Thousand-Miler inspection in Cleveland, so I guess the mileage from the East Coast was approaching that. Say they were half-full at Selkirk; and say, 3/4 down when pulling into Collinwood (Cleveland). Say, two Dash-9s with total fuel taken, 7000 gallons.

On a 10,000-ton general-freight train.

My numbers are approximate...on a big railroad, the engineer doesn't fuel and doesn't have to sign for the fuel. It just happens - on the main, in Cleveland. For us, it was a ten-minute chance to use the john and coffee station.

But, from numbers I cooked long ago...about an ounce of diesel fuel will move a ton of lading (including container weight) a mile, when pulled in a diesel locomotive or several. It's a very fuel-efficient way to move material.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

EXACTLY. I have personal knowledge from the 1960s until the late 70s. Common. At the Wood Street yard, they used to open the refridgerated rail cars, see it was something like lettuce or onions, and move on, of course they didn't close the rail car door. When they moved the cars into the yard, it had to pass through a very narrow underpass. The doors would be ripped off, causing very expensive and time consuming repairs for the railroad, and a huge claim as the refridgeration is pretty much useless without the huge door. I knew a lot of "cross town" drivers and they had a lot of stories, and as you said, they would roll right through red lights. Once they caught a looter in a load of apples, 34 degrees inside, in the summer, they shut the trailer door on him and left him in there for a couple of hours. He seemed pretty happy to be arrested.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Once they caught a looter in a load of apples, 34 degrees inside, in the summer, they shut the trailer door on him and left him in there for a couple of hours. He seemed pretty happy to be arrested.
Remember the movie, "Emperor of the North"? Lee Marvin as a top train-hopping bum. Takes a new hobo kid under his arm, and the kid is a fa-cop. Gets them detected riding an empty cattle car, and sadistic yardworkers lock the door so they can't get out...until time comes to load the cattle in the car.

The movie wasn't very factual about railroading, but I found it darkly entertaining.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Know of it Casey but don't think I ever watched it.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Know of it Casey but don't think I ever watched it.
Pick a slow time when you've got nothing else pressing.

It's not Hamlet; it's not Emmy-Award stuff...but if it's late on a Saturday night, and snowing, and your beer or adult beverage is tasting so good...put it on, if you have it available.

It pops up free, time to time, various sites. It's not aggressively protected like many old popular movies are...

rbh110

Reaction score
Screw you, shootie. Every city has shit going down. Your state has it's own issues...
I would bet that if people had to choose between being dropped off at 2am in either Downtown (Manchester NH or Oakland CA) or (Nashua NH or Compton, CA) or (Keene NH or Stockton, CA) 99% would choose the NH city if they value their safety. No state/city/county is perfect, and there are many very nice and safe cities in CA too.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
It looks like a fucking shit show to me.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
It looks like a fucking shit show to me.
Looks like a typical Chocolate City scene to me.

I've never seen anything like that; but scenes of desolation, rubble, waste, destruction...are common in today's "Organized" cities.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Another way to loot, to get hoodies, TV's, shoes and other goodies.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Another way to loot, to get hoodies, TV's, shoes and other goodies.
The real problem isn't even the theft.

It's that, for them to steal what they want, they destroy well over 100x the value of property they DO NOT want.

the_shootist

Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The real problem isn't even the theft.

It's that, for them to steal what they want, they destroy well over 100x the value of property they DO NOT want.
Like a pack of monkeys, huh?

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Like a pack of monkeys, huh?
Like the sons of bitches that broke into my VW van in National City. I was in the process of transferring to another ship, one home-ported in Alameda; and my van was packed. We had a party at a married friend's apartment for me, and I had WAY too much to drink. The plan was, I'd leave after a nap at about dawn and make it in one shot, checking in that evening.

Instead, I was hammered flat, and the van stayed on the street, and a son of a bitch broke a vent window to open the door (ignoring the OTHER vent window which was not latched) and then stole $100 of my clothes. Another $300 of cheap tools.

But to do that he busted the skylight on the pop-up roof...$650 to repair. $200 for a glass wind-wing for the passenger vent window. And my time to get it all done...fortunately I was not under the gun, time-wise.

Also fortunate I didn't get going that morning. Because - NO LIE! - that was the night/morning of the Northridge earthquake. Had I gotten going according to my plan, I'd have been right in the area when that bridge on I-5 let go.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I call it National Shitty for a reason.
It was shitty even 30 years ago.

Not a beauty spot. What it was, was one of the few places a junior Navy enlisted could afford to live with his family, given a Housing Allowance.